Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Why is raw food making me sick?
Posted by: teresa1988 ()
Date: September 17, 2014 04:04PM

The last few days I've been eating 100% raw vegan food. I've been a vegan for about a year and I have eaten a lot of raw food before and feeling great doing so. However, it seems my body is rejecting eating 100% raw. I keep throwing up!

I wash my vegetables and fruits thoroughly before eating them, I have no allergies that I'm aware of and I usually never have issues with throwing up. Also, fruit works just fine, it is after eating salads that I get sick. This leaves me very confused: what is happening to my body?

Because I am curious and stubborn, I tried eating what I usually eat yesterday and I never had to throw up, but today I started eating raw again and already after lunch I was on the bathroom floor with my head down the toilet. It is strange, but somehow, I can feel my body craving cooked food, the same way it craves healthy food if I've eaten nothing but junk food for a few days.

Can anyone tell me what to do and has anyone experienced the same thing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why is raw food making me sick?
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 17, 2014 05:56PM

do you have any sensitivities that have increase in the last few years?

like smells of certain foods etc.?

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 17, 2014 06:21PM

The very obvious answer is that you are DETOXING! Vegan and raw are not the same things. The fact that you said the last several days is the key. If you had been still throwing up after six months, then I would do a double take.

You could keep a bit of cooked to ease into 100% raw more slowly and/or add more raw plant fat in order to slow down the detox.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: September 17, 2014 06:30PM

When I first started eating mainly raw foods, I went through a major detox that lasted a few days. Literally had zero energy and was in bed for like 2-3 days straight. Felt lightheaded upon standing up, threw up a few times, had abdominal pain, etc. This is a temporary effect caused by rapidly detoxing, known as a "healing crisis". As the months and years go by, your detox periods should get less and less severe. You can speed up the process by light-years if you regularly engage in the use of infrared sauna's, colon hydrotherapy, rebounding, the consumption of algae's (chlorella, spirulina, AFA, marine phytoplankton, astaxanthin, etc) and exercise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2014 06:31PM by jtprindl.

Posted by: Diogenez ()
Date: September 17, 2014 07:18PM

sickness - yourbody healing itself having it's first chance to that you give it a break from toxins in the form of 'food' if you can hack it try a water fast to speed it up to get past it faster

life vs lifelessness

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: September 17, 2014 10:55PM

PREGNANT!! COngrats!!

Posted by: teresa1988 ()
Date: September 19, 2014 10:35AM

Thank you for your answers. I hope I will find the motivation to try it another time around, right now I feel sick just thinking of raw food. Of course I was thinking right away it might be a detox thing, but I hadn't heard about throwing up as part of a detox until reading your answers.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 19, 2014 07:29PM

teresa

i hope you are doing better

but mado did have an "insight'

you might check to see whether or not you are pregnant

otherwise

i'm also thinking detox

but i won't say that is for certain

lots of stuff could be going on

best

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: September 20, 2014 03:23PM

I know many here do not believe in science, mostly conventional nutritional science. However, I always wanted to know if detox from cooked food has ever been systematically studied? What exactly is the evidence? Detox as term outside of raw foods relates to drugs or alcohol or some substance that most people accept as being harmful in an of itself, or in excess. That is a studied thing.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: September 21, 2014 12:20AM

May I ask exactly what you were eating? EXACTLY. And the quantities/calories

Posted by: Raw4ever ()
Date: September 21, 2014 05:35AM

Of course I don't know why raw food is making you sick BUT I tend to lean toward the detox theory.

I have returned to a 100% raw food diet several times and I know right from the get go that I'm going to suffer and feel terrible before I feel better. The first time I went raw was the worst. It took more than two months to find the sweet spot. In fact, I wrote in my journal that I would never go back to cooked food because I didn't want to go through the hell of starting raw a second time.

The truth is that you've got to pay your dues but once your over the transition, the euphoria of good health starts to be your daily reality.

If I were you, I would suffer through it while trusting that you will break through to the other side. .. Because you will!

Our maybe coconut cream has it figured out!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables