Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Comfort Food!
Posted by: Manta91 ()
Date: September 21, 2014 06:58PM

The air is starting to get chilly where I live, the leaves are deeping their hue, and there are all sorts of wonderful autumnal goodies popping up at the farmer's market -- in other words, fall has announced its arrival.

So, raw fooders, what are your favorite comfort foods come the cold months?

As I've posted before, I'm transitioning, so I still eat steamed vegetables and cooked bean soups. That said, I've discovered the joys of raw flatbread. I was delighted to find that dehydrating fills my apartment with the same delicious aromas of real baking. Baking bread is one of my favorite childhood memories, so this is especially comforting. I am also in LOVE with my cheesy salad: spinach or tatsoi with avocado, saurkraut, and a generous sprinkle of nutritional yeast. I can't always do vinegary tastes, but even when I get migraines this salad hits the spot. I still can't believe how comforting this green salad is!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Comfort Food!
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: September 22, 2014 12:41AM

I love salads

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 22, 2014 03:40AM

any food is comforting smiling smiley

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: September 22, 2014 05:34AM

Persimmons are going to be here soon during the fall! And towards the end of fall, the tangerines.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 22, 2014 02:51PM

Manta, could you possibly post your raw bread recipe here? I am on the lookout for some good ones. I have had my Excalibur for over a year and never made a bread before! I have made wraps, though.

Date: September 22, 2014 06:19PM

You know, I have never eaten a persimmon! I really look forward to trying one.

Bananawho, my "bread" recipe is actually a modified recipe of the Basic Crackers from Rainbow Green Live-Food Cuisine. I just cut down the salt and swap the almonds for sunflower seeds, and then spread the dough thickly. It comes out reminiscent of stove-top flatbread. If that still appeals to you, I'd be happy to share it!

Have you checked out the site Nouveau Raw? She has some pretty impressive looking breads on there, though I have yet to try any of them.

Posted by: close2raw ()
Date: September 22, 2014 08:09PM

Organic apples! Also persimmons from local asian markets.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 23, 2014 10:28PM

Manta91 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You know, I have never eaten a persimmon! I really
> look forward to trying one.
>
> Bananawho, my "bread" recipe is actually a
> modified recipe of the Basic Crackers from Rainbow
> Green Live-Food Cuisine. I just cut down the salt
> and swap the almonds for sunflower seeds, and then
> spread the dough thickly. It comes out reminiscent
> of stove-top flatbread. If that still appeals to
> you, I'd be happy to share it!
>
> Have you checked out the site Nouveau Raw? She has
> some pretty impressive looking breads on there,
> though I have yet to try any of them.

Yes, please. I have some rye berries that I plan to sprout to use in a bread or crackers because I don't like just pure flax or other seeds. I think it would be nice to have grains.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: September 24, 2014 07:46PM

Manta91

Can I send you paypal you send me some of your raw bread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2014 07:46PM by coconutcream.

Date: September 30, 2014 06:41PM

Then you probably wouldn't care much for my crackers. Good luck with the sprouted bread, though. I would love to try essene bread, but can't have gluten.

I think I'm going to try making a few warmed, heavier foods to accompany my usual salad. I like the sound of the recipes in Rainbow-Green, especially because it supposedly only takes a couple of hours to dehydrate. It's really not much different from using an oven, time-wise.

I think I'm going to pop in a tray of burgers or cauliflower florets the next time I'm drying buckwheat sprouts or something.

Do you find yourself still craving warmed foods in the cold, long-term?

Posted by: Ela2013 ()
Date: October 01, 2014 11:17AM

Since I went 100% raw vegan, I stopped craving warm vegan foods, even in cold weather, I find that the raw vegan foods are all I need. They are my comfort food in warm and in cold seasons.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raw vegan for life. Vegan for the animals. Raw for my health.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2014 11:17AM by Ela2013.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: October 04, 2014 04:42PM

Ok for warm foods, I read in the book that the peta winner did, you know the 77 year old, I forget anyways, she says to warm up hot water, mix in one teaspoon with maca or TB, and raw sweetener and you have hot maca " coffee"

At the tree, they used hot soups with miso, they consider that raw, if not over 115. And added all these shredded veggies to it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables