Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

cocoa
Posted by: jmawerick ()
Date: September 24, 2014 06:31PM

hello,
I like to know if there is a real interest to supplement with organic cocoa unsweetened.
And if so, if it's a problem to do it on a daily basis or if there is a daily amount not to exceed.
Thank you in advance for your answers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cocoa
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: September 24, 2014 07:41PM

Are you talking about raw cacao?

I have not seen this sold in pills.

Organic cocoa, that is not the same as raw cacao powder, correct? Processed with alkali or something.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 24, 2014 10:40PM

i am not aware of any interest to supplement with cacao

never heard of it

probably never will

cacao is not something you want to consume on a daily basis

unless you want your adrenal glands to go haywire

i would not recommend it

i don't care how many "good" things are listed about cacao

the "bad" far exceeds the "good"

also cacao is extremely acidic, mimics caffeine ( you don't wish to consume it if you have to wake up early the next day)

also , is english your first language?

just asking because you wrote a thread about olives too

and i did not understand what you meant by trying to attain an opinion concerning the "vacuum" of the olives

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 24, 2014 11:49PM

Is that really true about cacao being "extremely acidic?" It is supposed to have so much magnesium, is what I mean.

Date: September 24, 2014 11:53PM

wine has resveratrol
but it also has alcohol

so i wouldn't be drinking wine as a "supplement" any time soon

just to get to the resveratrol

no way josay

me luvs me liver too much smiling smiley

so yeah, chocolate has magnesium it also has a host of other stuff too

so no... i don't mine the chocolate for magnesium

just like i don't mine wine for resveratrol

i'll eat a handful of grapes instead

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: September 25, 2014 12:37AM

I believe alcohol was first used as a vehicle for delivering certain nutrients, such as resveratrol. The resveratrol in wine is more bioavailable when alcohol is consumed with it.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 28, 2014 05:56PM

I was just asking if it's really true that something with lots of magnesium can be called acidic..

Date: September 28, 2014 08:50PM

There's no such thing as an acidic or alkaline food in terms of its influence on blood pH. Kidneys and respiration keep the body alkalized, not "alkaline" food. I can follow a raw food diet for 25 years or a Standard American Diet for 25 years but if my kidneys and lungs are functioning properly, I will have the same pH.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: September 28, 2014 11:23PM

There are two serum levels to worry about, the ph level and the calcium level. "Acidic" foods make you pee more calcium. Then the hormone PTH releases calcium from the bones to restore the serum calcium level.

Date: September 28, 2014 11:27PM

Panchito Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are two serum levels to worry about, the ph
> level and the calcium level. "Acidic" foods make
> you pee more calcium. Then the hormone PTH
> releases calcium from the bones to restore the
> serum calcium level.

You can continue believing this if you'd like, that's fine with me smiling smiley

Date: September 29, 2014 12:35AM

non-believer, "this" is written in wikipedia (calcium metabolism) and available from places like this:

[www.nytimes.com]

[articles.chicagotribune.com]

Health experts report that there's no good evidence that you need to regulate the acidity of your diet, because your body does a good job of this on its own: Your blood pH is maintained tightly at 7.35 to 7.45. However, there is some science linking low-acid diets with bone health, because high-animal protein diets — essentially high-acid diets — appear to boost mineral loss from bones.

Date: September 29, 2014 12:40AM

Panchito Wrote:
> non-believer, "this" is written in wikipedia
> (calcium metabolism) and available from places
> like this:
>
> [www.nytimes.com]
> ml?_r=0
>
> [articles.chicagotribune.com]
> th/sc-health-0316-high-acid-food-20120613_1_protei
> n-diets-acid-reflux
>
> Health experts report that there's no good
> evidence that you need to regulate the acidity of
> your diet, because your body does a good job of
> this on its own: Your blood pH is maintained
> tightly at 7.35 to 7.45. However, there is some
> science linking low-acid diets with bone health,
> because high-animal protein diets — essentially
> high-acid diets — appear to boost mineral loss
> from bones.

Right... and as we've already discussed in the past, the calcium in urine is NOT taken from the bones. Like I said, the kidneys and respiration balances our pH level, we do not need to take calcium from the bones to remain alkaline. Maybe this happens when one has chronic renal insufficiency or when their lungs cannot remove all of the carbon dioxide produced by the body, but this has absolutely nothing to do with the "acidity" of one's diet. That is a MYTH. Whether you follow a raw food diet for 25 years or a junk-food diet for 25 years, if your kidneys and lungs are functioning properly, you have the same blood pH.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2014 12:42AM by jtprindl.

Date: September 29, 2014 12:45AM

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

"All of the findings from this meta-analysis were contrary to the acid ash hypothesis. Higher phosphate intakes were associated with decreased urine calcium and increased calcium retention. This meta-analysis did not find evidence that phosphate intake contributes to demineralization of bone or to bone calcium excretion in the urine. Dietary advice that dairy products, meats, and grains are detrimental to bone health due to "acidic" phosphate content needs reassessment. There is no evidence that higher phosphate intakes are detrimental to bone health."

[onlinelibrary.wiley.com]

"There is no evidence from superior quality balance studies that increasing the diet acid load promotes skeletal bone mineral loss or osteoporosis. Changes of urine calcium do not accurately represent calcium balance. Promotion of the “alkaline diet” to prevent calcium loss is not justified."

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

"A causal association between dietary acid load and osteoporotic bone disease is not supported by evidence and there is no evidence that an alkaline diet is protective of bone health."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2014 12:47AM by jtprindl.

Date: September 29, 2014 12:57AM

jtprindl Wrote:
> Right... and as we've already discussed in the
> past, the calcium in urine is NOT taken from the
> bones.

When serum calcium goes down, it is restored from the bones. It does not matter if the serum calcium is fresh from food or old from the bones. Bones are the calcium banks and there is a withdraw when it is peed out (noticeable long term). Otherwise you could die from heart attack or other stuff.

Date: September 29, 2014 01:29AM

Panchito Wrote:
> jtprindl Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Right... and as we've already discussed in the
> > past, the calcium in urine is NOT taken from
> the
> > bones.
>
> When serum calcium goes down, it is restored from
> the bones. It does not matter if the serum calcium
> is fresh from food or old from the bones. Bones
> are the calcium banks and there is a withdraw when
> it is peed out (noticeable long term). Otherwise
> you could die from heart attack or other stuff.

Sorry, but loads of scientific evidence does not agree with the acid-alkaline dogma. Anyone you know who indulges in heavy amounts of meat, dairy, and grains has the same blood pH as you do as long as their kidneys and lungs are functioning properly. They may or may not have stronger bones but this has nothing to do with the "acidity" of the food they are eating, that would be lack of nutrients, toxicity, and not engaging in weight-bearing exercise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2014 01:30AM by jtprindl.

Posted by: Anon 102 ()
Date: September 30, 2014 01:18PM

jtprindl Wrote: "Anyone you know who indulges in heavy amounts of meat, dairy, and grains has the same blood pH as you do as long as their kidneys and lungs are functioning properly."

jtprindl Wrote: "Whether you follow a raw food diet for 25 years or a junk-food diet for 25 years, if your kidneys and lungs are functioning properly, you have the same blood pH."

Can one's kidneys and lungs function properly while eating "heavy amounts of meat, dairy, and grains" and "a junk-food diet for 25 years"?

I know mine wouldn't. If I eat a diet like that within a week or two my saliva turns very acidic. I know because my lips burn like all day. And cuts appear at the corners of my mouth. Not to mention a whole host of other problems.

Date: September 30, 2014 02:22PM

"Can one's kidneys and lungs function properly while eating "heavy amounts of meat, dairy, and grains" and "a junk-food diet for 25 years"?"

Yes, they can. Processed foods and cooked animal products may lead to kidney or respiration problems but this isn't because they are "acidic", the health-promoting or health-damaging properties of a food literally has nothing to do with alkalinity or acidity. All the carcinogenic compounds and unhealthy fats created by cooking meat, along with rBGH, antibiotics & eating GMO-fed animal products is what causes the damage. An unhealthy diet may or may not be heavy in "acidic" food but that's irrelevant because problems such as chronic renal insufficiency or respiratory issues were not caused by the pH level of those foods.

Posted by: Anon 102 ()
Date: September 30, 2014 04:12PM

nah, I don't believe you.

Posted by: Manta91 ()
Date: September 30, 2014 06:52PM

This is one of those things that I've decided not to over think, personally. I feel that as a treat -- as in, something I enjoy occasionally versus scooping it into my smoothie everyday -- I feel comfortable eating cacao. I don't like extremes, and as I try to eat for health the majority of the time, I'm not going to beat myself up when eating just a little bit for pleasure.

Date: September 30, 2014 09:13PM

manta

<<This is one of those things that I've decided not to over think, personally. I feel that as a treat -- as in, something I enjoy occasionally versus scooping it into my smoothie everyday -- I feel comfortable eating cacao. I don't like extremes, and as I try to eat for health the majority of the time, I'm not going to beat myself up when eating just a little bit for pleasure.>>

and no one else will beat you up or even care if you eat a little bit of chocolate either

so you shouldn't worry what I or anyone else thinks
cuz it all boils down to the fact that
its your body
and you are free to do as you please

jtprindl

whether the ph theory is correct or not
i do find that in general
alkaline foods are healthier than acidic foods

Posted by: Superjuice ()
Date: October 01, 2014 06:10PM

Manta91 Wrote:
> This is one of those things that I've decided not
> to over think, personally. I feel that as a treat
> -- as in, something I enjoy occasionally versus
> scooping it into my smoothie everyday -- I feel
> comfortable eating cacao. I don't like extremes,
> and as I try to eat for health the majority of the
> time, I'm not going to beat myself up when eating
> just a little bit for pleasure.

Well said Manta91, if one does not have health issues then this should be perfectly acceptable. The issue for me is the people that do not know they are unhealthy LOL. If one choses to eat these just get them from a good source...and I would suggest the whole beans. Woohoo!!!

Date: October 09, 2014 05:48PM

whether you eat a lot of it
a little of it
or none of it

your adrenals is what will notice all of it

Posted by: HH ()
Date: October 09, 2014 07:03PM

I've been eating it for years and feel awesome.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: October 09, 2014 07:14PM

Me too. I love it. HH

My favorite is this recipe where you blend avocado, sweetener of choice, I guess now I would use raw coconut nectar, and some powdered cacao and it tastes just like chocolate pudding.

I have not made it in a while though. I should make it. I have avocados.

You can put it in pie shell from dates/almonds too. Top with berries, for all your friends and family when you get invited out to dinner and have to bring your own food, and want to impress.

I am sure there is a science to it, I read Naked Chocolate and there are "studies" that say its good for you. I used to love making this pudding and stuffing into halved raw kumquats.

Posted by: HH ()
Date: October 10, 2014 03:29PM

That looks and sounds really good, MADO. So do you find raw coconut nectar to be a good sweetener? I've never tried it. Any brand recommendations?

coconutcream Wrote:
> Me too. I love it. HH
>
> My favorite is this recipe where you blend
> avocado, sweetener of choice, I guess now I would
> use raw coconut nectar, and some powdered cacao
> and it tastes just like chocolate pudding.
>
> I have not made it in a while though. I should
> make it. I have avocados.
>
> You can put it in pie shell from dates/almonds
> too. Top with berries, for all your friends and
> family when you get invited out to dinner and have
> to bring your own food, and want to impress.
>
> [1.bp.blogspot.com]
> AAAAAAAABa8/KxEeRPjaZVQ/s1600/DSC_5727+%255B1024x7
> 68%255D.JPG
>
> I am sure there is a science to it, I read Naked
> Chocolate and there are "studies" that say its
> good for you. I used to love making this pudding
> and stuffing into halved raw kumquats.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables