Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

berries pictures
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: October 22, 2014 02:26AM

[asunews.asu.edu]

In the new work, the scientists used carbon isotope analysis to extract the dietary signal from fossilized teeth of African hominin species dating from 4.5-1.5 million years ago.

Isotope analysis is based on the concept that “you are what you eat.” The carbon isotopic composition of past meals is incorporated into the forming tooth enamel, frozen in time, yet recoverable after millions of years. Carbon isotopes are especially valuable for distinguishing diets based on “C3” or “C4” plants, which differ in how efficiently carbon is recovered during photosynthesis. C3 plants include trees, shrubs and herbs, and predominate in forested conditions or around well-watered areas. C4 plants are the grasses and sedges that inhabit primarily open environments. In living animals, carbon isotope ratios in tooth enamel readily distinguish grass feeders, like zebras and wildebeests, from fruit or leaf eaters, like chimpanzees and giraffes.

The diets of the earliest hominin species, Ardipithecus ramidus and Australopithecus anamensis from 4.4 to 4 million years ago, were dominated by C3 plants. But beginning around 3.5 million years ago, data from Hadar and Dikika in Ethiopia and West Turkana in Kenya show that A. afarensis and another species called Kenyanthropus platyops consumed foods from both C4 and C3 plant communities. This expansion in dietary preference represents the first use of C4 plant foods that had been abundant in the environment for at least one million years. All subsequent hominin species were capable of consuming both C3 and C4 foods, a flexible adaptation that was inherited by modern humans.

Lucy's species, Australopithecus afarensis, were thought to be "C3" plant eaters, which includes trees, nuts and shrubs, but new analysis shows they may have been the first hominins to include grasses and sedges in their diets – a flexible adaptation that was inherited by modern humans.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: berries pictures
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 23, 2014 01:34AM

panchito

awesome

did u take these pics?

you grow them?

Date: October 23, 2014 01:34AM

strawberries always look small on the bush
but at the stores they look ginormous

even the organic ones

what do they do to them to make it look so big?

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: October 23, 2014 02:36AM

"what do they do to them to make it look so big?"

Probably different varieties. I did some work as an organic gardener this summer and we had some type of French heirloom variety which didn't get too big but they were delicious. Definitely different than the Driscoll's strawberries you see everywhere (which are bruised/disgusting the majority of the time).

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: October 23, 2014 03:23AM

jtprindl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "what do they do to them to make it look so big?"
>
> Probably different varieties. I did some work as
> an organic gardener this summer and we had some
> type of French heirloom variety which didn't get
> too big but they were delicious. Definitely
> different than the Driscoll's strawberries you see
> everywhere (which are bruised/disgusting the
> majority of the time).

I've read the Driscoll strawberries are clones that Driscoll has grown for them from farms all over the place and that they have been bred mainly for size and the ability to be shipped.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 29, 2014 12:55AM

Hey, someone please tell me what the 4th and 5th type are.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: October 29, 2014 01:21AM

Beautiful! xxx
I look forward to the berries season in my garden. When it comes, I enjoy nana ice-cream topped up with young-berries. So yum!

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: October 29, 2014 02:00AM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey, someone please tell me what the 4th and 5th
> type are.

4th = hawthorn
5th = goji (aka wolfberry)

Posted by: NuNativs ()
Date: October 30, 2014 01:45PM

Egad Carbs, the food of the devil...You can tell just by looking at the pictures they are trying to lure me in and seduce me to my death winking smiley

Date: October 30, 2014 04:09PM

[www.slate.com]

Did hominids eat fruits and veggies during the Neanderthal era?

They definitely ate fruit. Last year, paleoanthropologists found bits of date stuck in the teeth of a 40,000-year-old Neanderthal. There's evidence that several of the fruits we enjoy eating today have been around for millennia in much the same form. For example, archaeologists have uncovered evidence of 780,000-year-old figs at a site in Northern Israel, as well as olives, plums, and pears from the paleolithic era. Researchers have also dug up grapes that appear to be 7 million years old in northeastern Tennessee (although, oddly, the grapes are morphologically more similar to today’s Asian varieties than the modern grapes considered native to North America). Apple trees blanketed Kazakhstan 30,000 years ago, oranges were common in China, and wild berries grew in Europe. None of these fruits were identical to the modern varieties, but they would have been perfectly edible.

Date: October 30, 2014 11:28PM

nunuatives says:

Egad Carbs, the food of the devil...You can tell just by looking at the pictures they are trying to lure me in and seduce me to my death winking smiley

and its good to give away for halloween trick or treating

a little basket overflowing with ripe berries
beats snicker bars and kit kat

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 31, 2014 02:31AM

Hey Panchito, thanks! Are you saying we can eat those? I think there may be some in my area but I never heard of eating them as fruit.

Date: October 31, 2014 02:35AM

They are edible. But there are some that have poison. Before you go berry hunting, study the bad ones to be safe.

[www.wikihow.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables