Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Fructose experiment
Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: October 26, 2014 05:55PM

There's a lot of scientific research which suggests consuming fructose is harmful, everything from liver damage, heart damage, the production of AGE's & free radicals, dyslipidemia to brain inflammation (according to Gabriel Cousens). There's been a lot of talk whether this does or doesn't apply to FRUIT because the science hasn't been clear on this distinction. So I decided to conduct an experiment by eating 12 ounces of dates, rich in fructose, two days in a row (it's fruit, so it won't have any negative effects, right?).

What happened? Just as I noticed in the past when I would consume lots of fruit, I began seeing an increase in very tiny freckles which started to emerge on my arms. This suggests that the skin is being damaged, potentially due to the cross-linking effects that fructose has on the skin. I was also completely sedated (they should re-named dates "sedates" ), felt like I just smoked a heavy indica (aka stoned with no energy) and my concentration/memory took a major hit. To me, the emergence of freckles makes it very clear that fructose from fruit is not harmless like many would like to think and it aligns with what the science has shown. I'm not against fruit, in fact, I wish we could eat very large amounts and have zero negative effects, it's delicious and refreshing. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the case and then of course there are other problems such as post-harvest nutrient losses, fruit being picked unripe, etc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2014 05:57PM by jtprindl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fructose experiment
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: October 26, 2014 05:58PM

40 years eating fructose (70+ years)

Date: October 26, 2014 06:05PM

What about him? As far as looks goes, he's aging just as fast many SAD followers. He likely exercises heavily nearly every day which would be required to negate the harmful effects of consuming large amounts of sugar, but that's a burden. A cigarette smoker can load up with antioxidants and detoxifying foods to minimize the damage done to their lungs but that doesn't make it healthy. The only thing you're really saying is that eating a high-fruit diet and exercising is better than eating a SAD. I can't speak for him nor have any of us seen his blood/cell results, I'm just reporting my experiences after consuming lots of fructose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2014 06:06PM by jtprindl.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: October 26, 2014 06:14PM

Your experiment sample is statistically insignificant

Date: October 26, 2014 06:16PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Your experiment sample is statistically
> insignificant

You can call it what you wish, it's just what I experienced. My experience aligns with the scientific research done on fructose and its effects. After seeing the emergence of tiny freckles, which again has also happened in the past when consuming lots of fruit, I decided enough was enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2014 06:17PM by jtprindl.

Date: October 26, 2014 06:44PM

No, actually I like your experiment.
You are raising good concerns.
But not all fruits are created equal.
Just like not all humans are created equal.
There are those high in fructose and those low in fructose.
Somebody could be on a successful high fruit low fructose diet.
The problem is that we make fruit the main food,
it should be used as snack, or a lite meal, for a break-fast for example.

Date: October 26, 2014 06:57PM

"There are those high in fructose and those low in fructose.
Somebody could be on a successful high fruit low fructose diet."

I agree, I don't think there would be anywhere near the potential of health damaging effects from fruit if one ate FRESH low-fructose fruits as opposed to store-bought high-fructose fruits. But many high-fruit eaters get much of their calories from high-fructose fruits... dates, bananas, figs, watermelon, etc. I think heavy exercise/sweating is needed if one wants to succeed on a high-fructose diet in order to burn off all the sugar before its damage can take full effect. It's a trend I notice with fruitarian-style eaters... they all talk about how they exercise copious amounts (but then again consistent heavy exercise has its own risks). The more the merrier does not apply to exercise.

Date: October 26, 2014 06:59PM

I think the problem is with you. Fructose is converted to glucose. You eat a high fat diet. High fat diets create insulin resistance and diabetes. So if you make an experiment with food and you are possibly sick because of your high fat diet, why do you blame the food instead of blaming yourself?

[en.wikipedia.org]

Dietary fat has long been implicated as a driver of insulin resistance. Studies on animals have observed significant insulin resistance in rats after just 3 weeks on a high-fat diet (59% fat, 20% carb.)[10] Large quantities of saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated (omega-6) fats all appear to be harmful to rats to some degree, compared to large amounts of starch, but saturated fat appears to be the most effective at producing IR.[11] This is partly caused by direct effects of a high-fat diet on blood markers, but, more significantly, ad libitum high-fat diet has the tendency to result in caloric intake that's far in excess of animals' energy needs, resulting in rapid weight gain. In humans, statistical evidence is more equivocal. Being insensitive to insulin is still positively correlated with fat intake, and negatively correlated with dietary fiber intake,[12] but both these factors are also correlated with excess body weight.

The effect of dietary fat is largely or completely overridden if the high-fat diet is modified to contain nontrivial quantities (in excess of 5–10% of total fat intake) of polyunsaturated omega-3 fatty acids.[11][13][14] This protective effect is most established with regard to the so-called "marine long-chain omega-3 fatty acids", EPA and DHA, found in fish oil; evidence in favor of other omega-3's, in particular, the most common vegetable-based omega-3 fatty acid, ALA, also exists,[15] but it is more limited; some studies find ALA only effective among people with insufficient long-chain omega-3 intake,[16] and some studies fail to find any effect at all[17] (ALA can be partially converted into EPA and DHA by the human body, but the conversion rate is thought to be 10% or less, depending on diet and gender). The effect is thought to explain relatively low incidence of IR, type 2 diabetes, and obesity in polar foragers such as Alaskan Eskimos consuming their ancestral diet (which is very high in fat, but contains substantial amounts of omega-3).[18][19] However, it is not strong enough to prevent IR in the typical modern Western diet. Unlike their omega-6 counterparts (which can be cheaply produced from a variety of sources, such as corn and soybeans), major sources of omega-3 fatty acids remain relatively rare and expensive. Consequently, the recommended average intake of omega-3 for adult men in the United States is only 1.6?grams/day, or less than 2% of total fat; the actual average consumption of omega-3 in the United States is around 1.3?grams/day, almost all of it in the form of ALA; EPA and DHA contributed less than 0.1?grams/day.[20]

Elevated levels of free fatty acids and triglycerides in the blood stream and tissues have been found in many studies to contribute to diminished insulin sensitivity.[11][21][22][23] Triglyceride levels are driven by a variety of dietary factors. They are correlated with excess body weight.[24] They tend to rise due to overeating and fall during fat loss.[25] At constant energy intake, triglyceride levels are positively correlated with trans fat intake and strongly inversely correlated with omega-3 intake. High-carbohydrate, low-fat diets were found by many studies to result in elevated triglycerides,[26] in part due to higher production of VLDL from fructose and sucrose, and in part because increased carbohydrate intake tends to displace some omega-3 from the diet.

Several recent authors suggested that the intake of simple sugars, and particularly fructose, is also a factor that contributes to insulin resistance.[27][28] Fructose is metabolized by the liver into triglycerides, and, as mentioned above, tends to raise their levels in the blood stream. Therefore, it may contribute to insulin resistance through the same mechanisms as the dietary fat. Just like fat, high levels of fructose and/or sucrose induce insulin resistance in rats,[29][30] and, just like with fat, this insulin resistance is ameliorated by fish oil supplementation.[31] One study observed that a low-fat diet high in simple sugars (but not in complex carbohydrates and starches) significantly stimulates fatty acid synthesis, primarily of the saturated fatty acid palmitate, therefore, paradoxically, resulting in the plasma fatty acid pattern that is similar to that produced by a high-saturated-fat diet.[32] It should be pointed out that virtually all evidence of deleterious effects of simple sugars so far is limited to their concentrated formulations and sweetened beverages. In particular, very little is known about effects of simple sugars in whole fruit and vegetables. If anything, epidemiological studies suggest that their high consumption is associated with somewhat lower risk of IR and/or metabolic syndrome.[33][34]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2014 07:02PM by Panchito.

Date: October 26, 2014 07:01PM

"I think the problem is with you. Fructose is converted to glucose. You eat a high fat diet. High fat diets create insulin resistance and diabetes. So if you make an experiment with food and you are possibly sick because of your high fat diet, why do you blame the food instead of blaming yourself?"

Perhaps you missed where I commented that this same effect happened when I ate a low-fat high-fruit diet.

"If anything, epidemiological studies suggest that their high consumption is associated with somewhat lower risk of IR and/or metabolic syndrome"

Completely irrelevant to this thread lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2014 07:03PM by jtprindl.

Date: October 26, 2014 07:15PM

all I can say is that there is a group of people on high fat diets that swear fruit hurts them, while normal people eat fruit without any signs of problem.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: October 26, 2014 07:45PM

Panchito Wrote:
> I think the problem is with you. Fructose is
> converted to glucose. You eat a high fat diet.
> High fat diets create insulin resistance and
> diabetes.

Hey, Panchito, I never had blood sugar and lipid panel problems until I was on hclf diet for 11 months.

As I keep trying to tell you, my blood sugar and lipid panel tests are now back to normal after being on a very high fat (around 64%!), and very low carb (around 100 grams a day!) diet for a year and a half. YOU ARE BELIEVING IN BAD SECOND HAND INFORMATION.

Posted by: Anon 102 ()
Date: October 26, 2014 08:09PM

jtprindl,--> "So I decided to conduct an experiment by eating 12 ounces of dates, rich in fructose, two days in a row (it's fruit, so it won't have any negative effects, right?).
What happened? Just as I noticed in the past when I would consume lots of fruit, I began seeing an increase in very tiny freckles which started to emerge on my arms. This suggests that the skin is being damaged, potentially due to the cross-linking effects that fructose has on the skin. I was also completely sedated (they should re-named dates "sedates" ), felt like I just smoked a heavy indica (aka stoned with no energy) and my concentration/memory took a major hit."

Good! Stay your a$$ off dates. Leave them to the big boys.

Date: October 26, 2014 09:24PM

"Leave them to the big boys."

Right, dg, little doug graham, Doug Graham's conscience.

Date: October 26, 2014 10:00PM

What l find fascinating is the effect of low total cholesterol on neurotransmission and it's links with mood inbalance and aggression. There does seem to be something going on the with fruit low fat and brain functioning, the science papers are quite fascinating to read on this subject.

Now it looks like we want higher LDL and total cholesterol, but we want low LP(a) and to set up a diet whereby we reduce inflammatory and oxidative conditions as much as possible when doing high fat...therefore, higher omega 3's in the diet along with nutritional synergy according to recent science. The fruit based diet provides none of this and the things just mentioned might go a long way to explain why so few do well on it.

My fat and cholesterol files are becoming increasingly large. They already run into hundreds of pages.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: October 26, 2014 10:08PM

In conclusion Fruit you are so beautiful but you not good for our health.

Date: October 26, 2014 10:22PM

SueZ Wrote:
> "Leave them to the big boys."
>
> Right, dg, little doug graham, Doug Graham's
> conscience.

Are you senile? What are you talking about?

Date: October 26, 2014 10:34PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
> In conclusion Fruit you are so beautiful but you
> not good for our health.

According to Deise Minger's data collection, the fructose in fruit has barely increased over 100 years or more [if l remember correctly]. Maybe there has always been issues with fruit given the less than optimal behaviour observed on people eating high fruit diets as a general group.

Currently l am reading the literature on the effects of fructose on brain inflammation and it's effects on hypothalamic neural injury being linked to behaviours and general brain functioning.

Could it be that Gabriel Coisens is correct when he says that eating more than two bananas per day inflames the glial cells of the brain?? And why were a native tribe reported by Dr Wilson to NEVER have eaten any bananas growing wild?....could it be that the eating of these bananas caused social disruption through people behaving badly with bad tempers??? I read about the hypothalamus injury and it's links with serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine) which is related to poor behaviour, and l start to think there is a link between high fruit consumption and bad behaviour in humans. Hmmm, it is very VERY interesting.

Date: October 26, 2014 11:09PM

Anon 102 Wrote:
> SueZ Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > "Leave them to the big boys."
> >
> > Right, dg, little doug graham, Doug Graham's
> > conscience.
>
>
>
> Are you senile? What are you talking about?

Are you saying you aren't fresh, aka dg, aka little doug graham, aka doug graham's conscience? Don't tell me there really are two like you.

Date: October 27, 2014 12:52AM

lol, you say I'm fresh and jtprindl says I'm John Rose. ha ha. Oh boy

What is it, you guys copper/zinc ratio are off? smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 12:57AM by Anon 102.

Date: October 27, 2014 01:25AM

Anon 102 Wrote:
> lol, you say I'm fresh and jtprindl says I'm John
> Rose. ha ha. Oh boy
>
>
> What is it, you guys copper/zinc ratio are off?
> smiling smiley

Maybe it's just there's nothing distinctive to set you apart by. Like clones.

Date: October 27, 2014 02:19AM

Anon 102 Wrote:
> lol, you say I'm fresh and jtprindl says I'm John
> Rose. ha ha. Oh boy
>
>
> What is it, you guys copper/zinc ratio are off?
> smiling smiley

We do far more advanaced ratios these days. We do: copper - zinc - iron - manganese - potassium - selenium - magnesium - vitamin C ratios now. This is raw food 505 talk, now raw food 202 talk any more. We are becoming more advanced as time goes on. smiling smiley Hopefully one day we all will be very VERY advanced.

Date: October 27, 2014 02:44AM

did you read about John Rose experiment with sprouts. He stuff himself with sprouts. Then he thought raw fooders were bad people. Finally, he went to the bathroom and the devil left his body. Then things went back to normal. But what would happen if you ate sprouts every day? would you be possessed by mind controlling grain/bean parasites?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 02:48AM by Panchito.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: October 27, 2014 03:46AM

>So I decided to conduct an experiment by eating 12 ounces of dates, rich in fructose, two days in a row (it's fruit, so it won't have any negative effects, right?).

that's about 1000 calories, what else did you eat

>What happened? Just as I noticed in the past when I would consume lots of fruit, I began seeing an increase in very tiny freckles which started to emerge on my arms. This suggests that the skin is being damaged, potentially due to the cross-linking effects that fructose has on the skin.

actually there is no reason at all to believe that your conclusion is correct.

>I was also completely sedated (they should re-named dates "sedates" ), felt like I just smoked a heavy indica (aka stoned with no energy) and my concentration/memory took a major hit.

many possible reasons for the fatigue and skin issue. 1.you ate too much or the 2.dates were dried (you have not submitted any information about the dates, and dates are RARELY fresh, and will certainly cause fatigue if they are dried or cooked at all), or 3. the dates were sulfated, or 4. you were impacted by what else you had eaten, 5. they were treated, etc

>To me, the emergence of freckles makes it very clear that fructose from fruit is not harmless like many would like to think and it aligns with what the science has shown.

nope. any of the above issues can cause a skin reaction as well as fatigue.

and logic demands that if many people don't react like that (and this is clearly true), then we are compelled to reject your conclusion, and instead it must be something about the food or your body or both, not "fruit", "fructose", "dates" is bad in general

sincerely,

anon, oops, I mean, "fresh enough". rofl.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 03:51AM by fresh.

Date: October 27, 2014 04:32AM

"actually there is no reason at all to believe that your conclusion is correct."

Except for the fact that it only happens when I eat lots of foods high in fructose (same thing happens with bananas) and the science behind fructose consumption. This is not really the first time I've experimented this, but I had an idea of what the outcome would be and it was similar to past experiences. You don't have to believe me or the science, again, I'm just sharing my experience.

"that's about 1000 calories, what else did you eat"

They were fresh raw dates and according to the nutritional information it was around 2,000 calories. They were large medjool dates. Other foods consumed... sprout/grass juice, algae's, sprouted nuts/seeds, coconut water, berries.. the nuts/seeds were consumed in smaller amounts than usual due to the caloric intake of the dates. Let me guess, it was caused by the nuts & seeds which actually energize me and don't damage my skin?

"many possible reasons for the fatigue and skin issue."

Not really considering the dates were the only change in this experiment. And again, this has happened to me multiple times in the past (the appearance of tiny pin-point freckles after consuming lots of fructose-rich foods).

"and logic demands that if many people don't react like that (and this is clearly true), then we are compelled to reject your conclusion, and instead it must be something about the food or your body or both, not "fruit", "fructose", "dates" is bad in general"

You can reject whatever you want lol. How much do you exercise?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 04:34AM by jtprindl.

Date: October 27, 2014 04:56AM

provide information regarding the source of the dates.

skin issues could be leaky gut, could be allergy, could be eating too much, pesticides , intestinal/blood issues, etc etc

has nothing to do with "fructose is bad"

you are not just "sharing your experience", you are drawing unsupported conclusions to fit your bias because you are unwilling to see the dozen possible causes.

although you cannot accept this, you are wildly speculating (fructose causation) and your conclusion is based on literally nothing.

it's good to experiment, but it's not good to draw conclusions without sufficient evidence, nor to deny the counter evidence.

>You can reject whatever you want lol.

has nothing to do with me. evidence and logic.

>How much do you exercise?

has nothing to do with me, nor exercise.

your credibility suffers when you make these claims, as well as claims like "robert lockhart is aging just like all other high fruit eaters".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 05:02AM by fresh.

Date: October 27, 2014 05:11AM

"has nothing to do with me, nor exercise."

The question was relevant because you said you didn't feel similar effects and I made previous comments to how most people on high-fruit diets who don't see these effects are exercising copious amounts (and therefore burning lots of sugar off so it doesn't have as dramatic of an effect).

"evidence and logic."

Lots of evidence outside my experiences suggest fructose is damaging.

"you are not just "sharing your experience", you are drawing unsupported conclusions to fit your bias."

You can think that if you want but there is no bias. I would love if fruit was the perfect food for human consumption, I have nothing against fruit, but I do have something against foods that cause noticeable harm to myself. In fact, this is one of the main reasons I stopped and started to question my fructose consumption in the first place more than half a year ago, when I noticed the emergence of tiny freckles on my arms. They stopped appearing when I significantly cut my total fructose intake. When I first noticed this it was winter so it wasn't sun damage. It's not speculation when this has happened on multiple occasions and the only change within these two days was eating a lot of dates.

"provide information regarding the source of the dates"

[www.delrealmedjools.com] (Plain) - It actually might've been around 1200-1500 calories, don't remember exactly it was only a quick glance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 05:15AM by jtprindl.

Date: October 27, 2014 05:30AM

jtprindl Wrote:
> "has nothing to do with me, nor exercise."
>
> The question was relevant because you said you
> didn't feel similar effects and I made previous
> comments to how most people on high-fruit diets
> who don't see these effects are exercising copious
> amounts (and therefore burning lots of sugar off
> so it doesn't have as dramatic of an effect).
>

yes i know you believe this, but a proper diet includes the proper amount of "sugar" intake relative to exercise level, hence this is not relevant.

> "evidence and logic."
>
> Lots of evidence outside my experiences suggest
> fructose is damaging.
>

i am aware you believe this. enjoy your fructose. where does it grow?
haven't seen any around here.

> "you are not just "sharing your experience", you
> are drawing unsupported conclusions to fit your
> bias."
>
> You can think that if you want but there is no
> bias. I would love if fruit was the perfect food
> for human consumption, I have nothing against
> fruit, but I do have something against foods that
> cause noticeable harm to myself. In fact, this is
> one of the main reasons I stopped and started to
> question my fructose consumption in the first
> place more than half a year ago, when I noticed
> the emergence of tiny freckles on my arms. They
> stopped appearing when I significantly cut my
> total fructose intake. When I first noticed this
> it was winter so it wasn't sun damage. It's not
> speculation when this has happened on multiple
> occasions and the only change within these two
> days was eating a lot of dates.

fruit contains uncountable substances.
for you to conclude "fructose" causation is pure fantasy.

>
> "provide information regarding the source of the
> dates"
>
> [www.delrealmedjools.com] (Plain)
> - It actually might've been around 1200-1500
> calories, don't remember exactly it was only a
> quick glance.

they are not fully raw and fresh

and all the other causative factors still apply .

what i get are better.
datepeople and 7hotdates

Date: October 27, 2014 05:38AM

jtprindl Wrote:
> I would love if fruit was the perfect food
> for human consumption, I have nothing against
> fruit, but I do have something against foods that
> cause noticeable harm to myself.

Yes, people often don't take a strict fruit moderation stance for no reason. I do better with no fruit. Other people apparently do better with limited fruit and carbs because the majority of people are said to be fast oxidisers. Other people say it is best to limit such sugary foods.

>In fact, this is
> one of the main reasons I stopped and started to
> question my fructose consumption in the first
> place more than half a year ago, when I noticed
> the emergence of tiny freckles on my arms. They
> stopped appearing when I significantly cut my
> total fructose intake. When I first noticed this
> it was winter so it wasn't sun damage. It's not
> speculation when this has happened on multiple
> occasions and the only change within these two
> days was eating a lot of dates.

Mr Kearns told me years ago that it is best to limit sugar foods when going out in the sun because skin damage can occur. But truthfully, l do think he was talking about refined sugar. Makes me wonder what is going on in your case, could it also be related to fructose??

Date: October 27, 2014 05:46AM

"but a proper diet includes the proper amount of "sugar" intake relative to exercise level"

The fruit eaters tell me that sugar from fruit isn't damaging, so what is it? Is it only damaging when you don't exercise enough to burn all of it off? Doesn't seem healthy to me, having to exercise in order to not feel negative effects from the food you consume.

"i am aware you believe this. enjoy your fructose. where does it grow?
haven't seen any around here."

My experience isn't based on pure fructose, it's based on the consumption of fruits that are rich in fructose.

"fruit contains uncountable substances.
for you to conclude "fructose" causation is pure fantasy."

Not really considering the science and also the fact that this does not happen with low-fructose fruits (berries, cherries, grapefruit, oranges).

"and all the other causative factors still apply ."

Not with me they don't... (I like your quick google search, though). I don't eat a lot of calories so overeating wouldn't be the cause. The dates were organic so not pesticides. I don't have leaky gut or any intestinal or blood issues. Again, the only difference in these two days and in the past when the freckles stopped appearing is the addition/subtraction of fructose-rich fruit.

"they are not fully raw and fresh"

How would you know? How are they not raw? Anyways, dates aren't the only fructose-rich food I've had this experience with, same has happened with bananas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 05:47AM by jtprindl.

Date: October 27, 2014 05:52AM

"Makes me wonder what is going on in your case, could it also be related to fructose??"

Seems to be, it's the one consistent variable in my experiences. I can eat a meal of around 1000 calories of sprouted nuts/seeds and be energized with no harmful effects to my skin. But give me around 1000 calories of dates or bananas and I'm sedated within an hour with fuzzy thinking and within the next 1-2 days, tiny freckles emerge on my arms.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 05:53AM by jtprindl.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables