Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Scientific Proof Carbohydrates Cause Disease
Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: October 28, 2014 12:29PM

Interesting and unusual article I found at Dr. Mercola's site. I found it well worth reading...

"A low metabolism is ideal for long life and good health. A high metabolism excites hormones in the body that eventually cause age-related diseases. A low metabolism is analogous to diesel engines that are known for longevity and high mileage without a breakdown. Diesel fuel is an oil that the engine uses for energy similar to fats in the diet. A high metabolism is analogous to a nitro-methane drag racer that gives a tremendous burst of energy but explodes after a few races. The nitro-methane fuel is fast burning similarly to sugar in the diet.

The pathogenic effects of carbohydrates are slow but sure. The "20-year rule" was coined to describe the length of time between the start of the high-carbohydrate diet and the onset of disease. The number of diseases, severity and time to develop are directly related to the percentage of carbohydrates in the diet. In the advanced stage many diseases are prevalent in the sufferer before death occurs."

Fruit is not the healthy food many claim. Fruit is mostly fructose sugar with some vitamins, minerals and other nutrients. Those vitamins and nutrients are easily obtained from meat and non-starchy vegetables without the fructose. The body processes fructose from fruit in the same way as it processes fructose from soft drinks. There is no difference. Fructose is fructose no matter what the source. Fructose causes insulin resistance as proven in scientific tests. Fructose is highly addictive and most people simply refuse to give up fruit no matter how sick they become. This is identical to lung cancer patients who continue to smoke cigarettes. See links below for more information:

[articles.mercola.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Scientific Proof Carbohydrates Cause Disease
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: October 28, 2014 04:22PM

ja ja that was from January 03, 2004. You are dealing with an American freak doctor that sells even the vibration machine you now own. The longest lived cultures are heavy on carbs (Okinawans centenarians eat potatoes as their main staple)

[www.chicagomag.com]

This skill is no accident. Around the time Mercola began to sell products on his site, he also began to study marketing. “I read a lot of books, took a lot of courses, and started understanding the process of how to communicate information effectively.”

Among the tricks he learned was how to grab readers’ attention—the notion, for example, that “80 percent of the effectiveness of an article is based on the headline.” He also learned the power of provocation. “I would find articles that supported one position and [say] why I disagreed. I didn’t hold back, and people seemed to like that. I didn’t realize at the time that was a useful marketing principle.”

In the opinion of David Gorski, a doctor who runs a site similar to Barrett’s (ScienceBasedMedicine.org), the problem is that Mercola either vastly exaggerates preliminary research or cherry-picks studies that bolster his point of view. Gorski believes that Mercola also ignores data that prove him wrong or pushes far beyond what is scientifically sound, using scare tactics to make his point.

Some of the articles on Mercola’s site, Barrett and others say, seem to be as much about selling the wide array of products offered there—from Melatonin Sleep Support Spray ($21.94 for three 0.85-ounce bottles) to Organic Sea Buckthorn Anti-Aging Serum ($22 for one ounce)—as about trying to inform. (Your tampon “may be a ticking time bomb,” he tells site visitors—but you can buy his “worry-free” organic cotton tampons for the discounted price of $7.99 for 16.) Steven Salzberg, a prominent biologist, professor, and researcher at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, calls Mercola “the 21st-century equivalent of a snake-oil salesman.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2014 04:37PM by Panchito.

Posted by: NuNativs ()
Date: October 28, 2014 04:44PM

I don't trust Mercolas agenda at all. Kids have a sweet tooth for a reason. Fruit trees especially those growing wild, are nothing but pure magic...

Date: October 28, 2014 04:52PM

It is the same as an oportunistic virus attacking weak bodies. Dr mercola sells a couple grand vibration machines so that people avoid exercise (science says so je je). This is America. People become millioners from the weakest. You got the internet and an armi of dummies clicking.

Posted by: HH ()
Date: October 28, 2014 05:55PM

Do we know that children are born with a sweet tooth or is it something that they develop from being fed sugar? I believe that a sweet tooth is natural. What's unnatural is to have one's diet revolve around it. We also have a savory tooth and for good reason.

Do fruit trees that grow wildly typically bear ultra-sweet fruit? I've always been under the impression that for the most part candy-sweet fruit is the product of human intervention.

NuNativs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't trust Mercolas agenda at all. Kids have a
> sweet tooth for a reason. Fruit trees especially
> those growing wild, are nothing but pure magic...

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: October 28, 2014 06:07PM

<<<I've always been under the impression that for the most part candy-sweet fruit is the product of human intervention.>>>

[rawfoodsos.com]
Wild and Ancient Fruit: Is it Really Small, Bitter, and Low in Sugar?

Date: October 28, 2014 06:10PM

<<<The longest lived cultures are heavy on carbs (Okinawans centenarians eat potatoes as their main staple)>>>

All 5 of the Blue Zones ate mostly carbs and very little meat, which has no carbs.

Date: October 28, 2014 06:26PM

Yes I've read that article before. I'm referring to fruits that we can access. My apologies for not being more specific.

John Rose Wrote:
> <<>>
>
> [rawfoodsos.com]-
> fruit/
> Wild and Ancient Fruit: Is it Really Small,
> Bitter, and Low in Sugar?

Date: October 28, 2014 06:48PM

Well I seek out wild fruit trees and bushes whenever I can. I live in an area of California where the pioneers planted tons of apples, pears, plums etc. and they are growing today with NO work, NO pruning, No watering except for rainfall. The fruit is sweet yes.

I harvested a pint of blackberries this year for almost two months straight on WILD patches growing at a lake behind thew RV park where I'm currently anchored, super SWEET.

I'm currently eating daily for the last 3 weeks my harvest from a WILD persimmon tree, and these things are almost TOO sweet.

It cracks me up that noone is interested in FREE WILD foods that are buzzing with Life...I wish WE were smart enough to cover the Earth with fruits and nuts.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: October 28, 2014 06:52PM

"All 5 of the Blue Zones ate mostly carbs and very little meat, which has no carbs."

And that in no way signifies that a high-carb diet is prolonging their life. They have many other similarities.

Date: October 28, 2014 07:00PM

That's pretty cool.

NuNativs Wrote:
> Well I seek out wild fruit trees and bushes
> whenever I can. I live in an area of California
> where the pioneers planted tons of apples, pears,
> plums etc. and they are growing today with NO
> work, NO pruning, No watering except for rainfall.
> The fruit is sweet yes.
>
> I harvested a pint of blackberries this year for
> almost two months straight on WILD patches growing
> at a lake behind thew RV park where I'm currently
> anchored, super SWEET.
>
> I'm currently eating daily for the last 3 weeks my
> harvest from a WILD persimmon tree, and these
> things are almost TOO sweet.
>
> It cracks me up that noone is interested in FREE
> WILD foods that are buzzing with Life...I wish WE
> were smart enough to cover the Earth with fruits
> and nuts.

Date: October 28, 2014 08:25PM

Panchito Wrote:
American freak doctor that sells
> even the vibration machine you now own.

No, I have this one...

[www.hypergravity.net]

It paid for itself by curing the joint problems of two dogs who's combined surgeries would have cost more than the machine. Works great for people, too. I love it!

Date: October 28, 2014 08:29PM

HH Wrote:
> Do we know that children are born with a sweet
> tooth or is it something that they develop from
> being fed sugar?

I am glad someone asks this question. I don't believe children were born with a sweet tooth at all, l feel that adults corrupt their taste buds to create sweet tooths. I am sure that many of our ancestors throughout history never had access to fruit. Besides....Mr Kearns always feeds his grand children raw sprouts, and the one who loves them best of all is the little baby who much prefers crushed sprouts over the baby food any day. The little baby reaches out for the sprouts with much delight Mr Kearns tells me. The older kids have had their taste buds corrupted by devitalised foods, but they still like their sprouts also. I told him to get the kids onto a sprout program, and he agreed it was a great idea.

Sweet tooths can be eliminated when one eats good quality food, for it is not natural nor desirable for humans to have a sweet tooth imo.

Date: October 28, 2014 08:46PM

SueZ Wrote:
> Panchito Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> American freak doctor that sells
> > even the vibration machine you now own.
>
>
> No, I have this one...
>
> [www.hypergravity.net]
>
> It paid for itself by curing the joint problems of
> two dogs who's combined surgeries would have cost
> more than the machine. Works great for people,
> too. I love it!

These things really speed up work out time. They are not toys for lazy people. Even Madonna has one.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 28, 2014 08:51PM

TS wrote:
"Sweet tooths can be eliminated when one eats good quality food, for it is not natural nor desirable for humans to have a sweet tooth imo."

Thats just silly. Fruit as well as nuts are smart food as any tree or bush crop once established keeps providing harvests year after year without additional toil. They are strong plants in that they can grow without our pampering once established. Fruit trees can last over a hundred years providing abundant harvests YEAR after YEAR! Olive trees can live over a thousand years!

You do realize that we have to artificially cultivate the seeds you are sprouting such as alfalfa, clover, chia, sunflower year after year as well as remove the trees from land to grow those types of crops. These are weak plants and must be pampered and protected as well as planted and farmed year after year, then re-farmed as sprouts!

I find it odd that you are so anti-fruit. When you watched the video of Tavis and his harvesting of dates, oranges, cactus fruits and the like you don't see anything appealing about the abundance and beauty that fruit agriculture provides (Permaculture)? The colors and smells of fruits don't attract you at all?

Do you seriously think that a jar of fermented bean mush is better food than the WILD persimmons I am eating?!? Which food do you think is better for the landscape?

Date: October 28, 2014 08:51PM

Interesting take, especially the notion that many of our ancestors did not have access to sweet foods. I didn't think of that but it seems pretty obvious now that you mention it.

The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
> HH Wrote:
> -----
> > Do we know that children are born with a sweet
> > tooth or is it something that they develop from
> > being fed sugar?
>
>
> I am glad someone asks this question. I don't
> believe children were born with a sweet tooth at
> all, l feel that adults corrupt their taste buds
> to create sweet tooths. I am sure that many of our
> ancestors throughout history never had access to
> fruit. Besides....Mr Kearns always feeds his grand
> children raw sprouts, and the one who loves them
> best of all is the little baby who much prefers
> crushed sprouts over the baby food any day. The
> little baby reaches out for the sprouts with much
> delight Mr Kearns tells me. The older kids have
> had their taste buds corrupted by devitalised
> foods, but they still like their sprouts also. I
> told him to get the kids onto a sprout program,
> and he agreed it was a great idea.
>
>
> Sweet tooths can be eliminated when one eats good
> quality food, for it is not natural nor desirable
> for humans to have a sweet tooth imo.

Date: October 28, 2014 08:55PM

The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
> HH Wrote:
> -----
> > Do we know that children are born with a sweet
> > tooth or is it something that they develop from
> > being fed sugar?
>
>
> I am glad someone asks this question. I don't
> believe children were born with a sweet tooth at
> all, l feel that adults corrupt their taste buds
> to create sweet tooths.

There were never a lot of sweets in my home when I was growing up and none of us had a sweet tooth.

I really hate to see huge amounts of sweets pushed in the face of youngsters and - even worse - when it's done in the guise of "heathy food" as in this video obviously aimed at the young princess demographic...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 28, 2014 11:34PM

NuNativs Wrote:

>
> I find it odd that you are so anti-fruit. When you
> watched the video of Tavis and his harvesting of
> dates, oranges, cactus fruits and the like you
> don't see anything appealing about the abundance
> and beauty that fruit agriculture provides
> (Permaculture)? The colors and smells of fruits
> don't attract you at all?

Fruit is appealing, but imo, it must be eaten in strictly limited quantities in this day and age because it is usually not obtained fresh nor is it nutritionally balanced or nutritious. Fruit for a snack is perfect. I never have been anti fruit, and l do have fruit sometimes myself for a treat.

If l eat too much fruit my taste buds become corrupted and cravings can rear their head, so best to eat solid foods that stop all those dubious side effects imo.

Fruit is deceptive. It smells good and looks good, but delivers very little. Sprouts and weeds may not look good, but they delivery abundant rewards. We need to tune into what foods do to service our body and mind and not be conned by these dubious ideas of smell and colours etc because it does not serve us well. For eg, most people who try and live on high fruit diets still fail despite all the fancy theories of being attracted to colour and smells of fruit. That fancy theory may have worked for man in the day when the Earth was more pure and heir had a top notch spiritual connection, but it has been largely been shown to not work these days for most people who try it. The point is...we want good solid reliable foods,ie, sprouts.

If you reckon this idea of smell and taste works for a fruit diet, then why are so many failing on it? Come on...lets use our common sense here. We vegans love our fancy sounding theories, but it leads most vegans to bite the dust because they live in lala land.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2014 11:39PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: October 29, 2014 12:17AM

<<<Fruit is deceptive. It smells good and looks good, but delivers very little.>>>

YOU REALLY ARE DELUSIONAL!!!!!!!!

Yea, let's spend all of our day and NURTURE these SPROUTS!

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

NURTURE the TREES OF LIFE!!!

NuNativs wrote:

<<<Thats just silly. Fruit as well as nuts are smart food as any tree or bush crop once established keeps providing harvests year after year without additional toil. They are strong plants in that they can grow without our pampering once established. Fruit trees can last over a hundred years providing abundant harvests YEAR after YEAR! Olive trees can live over a thousand years!

You do realize that we have to artificially cultivate the seeds you are sprouting such as alfalfa, clover, chia, sunflower year after year as well as remove the trees from land to grow those types of crops. These are weak plants and must be pampered and protected as well as planted and farmed year after year, then re-farmed as sprouts!>>>

EXACTLY!!!'

WE ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO TOIL OVER OUR FOOD!!!

Brian,

Seriously, YOU ARE SO FAR OFF BASE - IT'S MIND BOGGLING!!!

Date: October 29, 2014 12:30AM

I can see what you are saying John, but we live in an un-natural environment so we need to do things which will work for most people. Imo the sprouting is a more workable option to sustain health well. Sure...it is not natural, but we are in an age where we need to do what can work well for lots of people and not just the few. All we need is to buy machines to sprout the seeds and we are on our way.

Now John...if we lived on a highly spiritual planet with good high level clean vibrations we probably could live off fruit and nuts and have paradise, but that is NOT the current reality so we must include greens and other foods that may not be natural to us.

See...l can see the hygiene idea working in a certain world for veryone, just not in this world at the moment because we don't have the evolvement, connection and vibrations to be able to live that way.

John, l am trying to look at the current world in a real world context. It would be great to be able to live in the fantasy world we vegans sometimes dream of and be able to live according to our natural instincts of being drawn to colours and smells, BUT we can't do that in this low level world because it will not sustain many who try it.

See what l am getting at? I wish l could only live on fruit and nuts (save lots of hard work growing stuff and spending so much money on food), but in this low level world we have karma and that means we can't live like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 12:31AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: October 29, 2014 02:04AM

The longest lived cultures eat a carb base diet. Mercola says carbs will kill you. hmmm...Use your ball

Date: October 29, 2014 02:25AM

Panchito Wrote:
> The longest lived cultures eat a carb base diet.
> Mercola says carbs will kill you. hmmm...Use your
> ball

Yes, some people do well on higher carb and some are better on lower carb. The real issues l have is when people start eating foods high in sugar and low in fat.

I was listening to a video this morning that was saying how diabetes has tripled since the low fat ideas became mainstream in the early 1990's....people have gotten away from the wonderful fats and have moved more towards the refined carbs and this has been said to be a disaster. I will need to check out the references.

The low fat ideas are really the devil's works imo. When people talk low fat, that is when l will sing from the roof tops and start shaking cages. It is also interesting how low fat promotors will also delete any science that supports high fat...they are not open to the entire picture.

We need to start a `high fat club' haha. winking smiley .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 02:28AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: October 29, 2014 02:37AM

this is a vid of a 98 year young low fat vegan (high carb diet)

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 02:40AM by Panchito.

Date: October 29, 2014 03:25AM

Panchito Wrote:
> this is a vid of a 98 year young low fat vegan
> (high carb diet)
>
> [www.youtube.com]

Some people are exceptions, but not a wise move going low fat according to the `real' science. I wonder what percentage of fat he has...hopefully his definition is not the usual raw vegan definition of 10% or less....hopefully he is 20% or more.

If l was his son l would try to get him up to 50% fat, l would and also try to pump him full of saturated fat lol so he can make it to 120. smiling smiley

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: October 29, 2014 04:42AM

TS wrote:
"If l was his son l would try to get him up to 50% fat, l would and also try to pump him full of saturated fat lol so he can make it to 120. smiling smiley"

Says the man who says he will only live to 60-70...

(Longevity speaks Truth)

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: October 29, 2014 05:16AM

Panchito Wrote:
> this is a vid of a 98 year young low fat vegan
> (high carb diet)
>
> [www.youtube.com]

Great video, Panchito. Thank you! I'm not low fat myself (nor particularly high fat), but I certainly have great respect for this man who is 98 and worked until 95 as a cardiothoracic surgeon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 05:18AM by suncloud.

Date: October 29, 2014 08:43AM

I have been reading medical journals demonstrating potential nightmare scenarios caused by carbs, not just refines carbs, but fruits and various types of carbs. High carb might not be such a good idea for many people.

Glucose Levels and Risk of Dementia

Paul K. Crane, M.D., M.P.H., Rod Walker, M.S

[www.nejm.org]

Other papers l have read are pretty scarey too. Higher blood sugar is said to cause brain damage, and glucose is a real old meanie.

Low carb and high fat is also said to be better for heart health.

Pretty crazy stuff huh? Ole Panchito's and Fresh' eyes will be popping out lol. winking smiley No jokes though...the studies l am reading are pretty scarey, they would be enough to give people on low fat high carb diets nightmares. Actually, if Fresh and Panchito read the studies l have tucked away, they wouldn't be able to go to sleep.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 08:50AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: October 29, 2014 08:59AM

Doctors are also saying that sugars and carbs represent a powerfulthreat to the brain and that elevated blood sugar can shrink the brain.

Check out the nightmare of excess glucose consumption in the small study below:

Higher glucose levels associated with lower memory and reduced hippocampal microstructure

Lucia Kerti et al

[www.neurology.org]

chronically higher blood glucose levels exert a negative influence on cognition, possibly mediated by structural changes in learning-relevant brain areas

There are other interesting studies on fats, brain development and cognition also.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: October 29, 2014 09:27AM

Red blood cells have no mitochondria, so must depend on glucose exclusively - never fatty acids, never proteins, and never ketones.

"Despite their massive use as fuels, fatty acids are oxidized only in the mitochondria. But not all human cells possess mitochondria! Although that may sound strange, human red blood cells are the most common cells lacking mitochondria. Other examples include tissues of the eyes, such as the lens, which is almost totally devoid of mitochondria; and the outer segment of the retina, which contains the photosensitive pigment. You may have already guessed that these cells and tissues then must produce ATP by metabolizing glucose only."

[www.nature.com]

The above is not an endorsement for excessive glucose, but sufficient dietary glucose is essential. Glucose can be recycled to a certain extent through the Cori Cycle, but this is not an energy-efficient mechanism and uses more ATP than it produces. (loses 4 ATP each cycle)

Cute animation of Cori Cycle:

[www.wiley.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 09:40AM by suncloud.

Date: October 29, 2014 11:02AM

suncloud Wrote:
> Red blood cells have no mitochondria, so must
> depend on glucose exclusively - never fatty acids,
> never proteins, and never ketones.
>
> "Despite their massive use as fuels, fatty acids
> are oxidized only in the mitochondria. But not all
> human cells possess mitochondria! Although that
> may sound strange, human red blood cells are the
> most common cells lacking mitochondria. Other
> examples include tissues of the eyes, such as the
> lens, which is almost totally devoid of
> mitochondria; and the outer segment of the retina,
> which contains the photosensitive pigment. You may
> have already guessed that these cells and tissues
> then must produce ATP by metabolizing glucose
> only."
>
> [www.nature.com]
> daptation-of-nutrient-utilization-in-humans-142328
> 07
>
> The above is not an endorsement for excessive
> glucose, but sufficient dietary glucose is
> essential. Glucose can be recycled to a certain
> extent through the Cori Cycle, but this is not an
> energy-efficient mechanism and uses more ATP than
> it produces. (loses 4 ATP each cycle)
>
> Cute animation of Cori Cycle:
>
> [www.wiley.com]
> ations/cori_cycle/cori_cycle.htm

How many calories are we talking here 30? 40? For someone who is in ketoses, and thereby has all their fat cells throughout their whole body available to produce glucose - regardless of it being inefficient to do so - it seems, to me, to be a very negligible waste of energy. For the rest of us it's pretty darn hard not to get 30 or 40 calories of glucose a day so the argument seems like splitting hairs - unless I'm missing something.

It would probably be a different story if red blood cells had no mitochondria from the get go but they do when they are forming.

Here's a cool photo of red blood cells ejecting their nuclei, where their mitochondria, etc, live before the cells mature.

[wi.mit.edu]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 11:11AM by SueZ.

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables