Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

miracle fruit
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: October 30, 2014 02:50AM

[www.amazon.com]

[en.wikipedia.org]

Synsepalum dulcificum, also known as the miracle fruit, is a plant with a berry that when eaten, causes sour foods (such as lemons and limes) subsequently consumed to taste sweet. This effect is due to miraculin, which is used commercially as a sugar substitute. Common names for this species and its berry include miracle fruit,[2] miracle berry, miraculous berry,[2] sweet berry,[3][4][5]

The berry itself has a low sugar content[7] and a mildly sweet tang. It contains a glycoprotein molecule, with some trailing carbohydrate chains, called miraculin.[8][9] When the fleshy part of the fruit is eaten, this molecule binds to the tongue's taste buds, causing sour foods to taste sweet. At neutral pH, miraculin binds and blocks the receptors, but at low pH (resulting from ingestion of sour foods) miraculin binds protons and becomes able to activate the sweet receptors, resulting in the perception of sweet taste.[10] This effect lasts until the protein is washed away by saliva (up to about 60 minutes).[11]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: miracle fruit
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: October 30, 2014 03:26AM

BUT FRUITS ARE NOT GOOD FOR US according to the latest research.
We need fats and oils.
So there cannot be a miracle fruit.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: October 30, 2014 03:40AM

Where are you getting your information from? Fruit are certainly good for us. Did you check out the references on any scientific database? Please do not rely on articles such as by Mericola or similar. These, despite their claims, do not contain scientific research but mere opinions. Refer to my recent post where I quoted the actual scientific paper, published in 2014, which clearly indicates that fruit is good. Go to the source.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: October 30, 2014 03:57AM

For your convenience, here is the link to my post:
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Note that this paper is only an example, there are many others, if you do go and check Scopus (a scientific database), for example.

Date: October 30, 2014 04:38AM

I would love to try this fruit. Sounds magic indeed. Eat it first and a lemon after it. Curious how this would work. smiling smiley

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: October 30, 2014 06:17AM

I've had this fruit only once and ate a romaine salad afterwards. I remember the romaine tasted sweet and good. It had an olive oil dressing. Normally, I like romaine anyway, but this had a special flavor. I'd forgotten about the miracle fruit, so the salad flavor took me a little by surprise (pleasant surprise!). Then I remembered about the miracle fruit!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables