Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How is salt a cleanser?
Posted by: greenman ()
Date: December 14, 2006 04:20PM

Sea salt is part of the Master Cleanse, but why? Isn't salt harmful?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How is salt a cleanser?
Posted by: lisa_pe ()
Date: December 14, 2006 04:39PM

The salt is not absorbed into your body. You drink a quart of salt water in the a.m. and then within an hour you need to stay close to a bathroom. The salt water just runs right through your body, acts like an internal broom and comes out the other end with the stuff in your intestines. It is really quite amazing! After 10 days on the cleanse there is still stuff coming out with the salt water!
I have done the cleanse twice already and I really feel great after!
Good luck,
Lisa

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: December 14, 2006 05:07PM

It's really great, better than an enema IMO. Just make sure to get the measurements right, I mis-measured once, I doubled the salt and it didn't work. Oh, and you need to live in the bathroom for about an hour, starting about 1/2 hour after you drink it, and you will want a shower afterwards.

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: December 14, 2006 05:48PM

Iodized table salt is harmful, but salts such as Himalayan Crystal salt are not harmful. In fact, they are very good for you.

Date: December 14, 2006 05:51PM

lisa_pe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The salt is not absorbed into your body.

Interesting but why? If you eat salt it gets absorbed. So what makes the salt unabsorbable in the master cleanse? Is it the amount or the combination of salt and water?

> The salt water just runs right through your body

What if it does not? I assume the salt will just accumulate in the body.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2006 05:54PM by greenman.

Date: December 14, 2006 05:57PM

Yogamama Wrote:
> Iodized table salt is harmful, but salts such as
> Himalayan Crystal salt are not harmful. In fact,
> they are very good for you.

According to some studies, all salt is harmful.

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: December 14, 2006 06:15PM

The amount of salt absorbed is balanced by the osmosis balance in the cells. So when you take a special amount the will affect the osmosis, the body will not absorb it, and just flush it out.

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: December 14, 2006 06:51PM

greenman Wrote:
> Yogamama Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Iodized table salt is harmful, but salts such
> as
> > Himalayan Crystal salt are not harmful. In
> fact,
> > they are very good for you.
>
>
> According to some studies, all salt is harmful.

And according to some studies, the right type is salt is good for you. You can find any type of "study" to support whatever you are looking for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2006 06:52PM by Yogamama.

Posted by: FruityJules ()
Date: December 14, 2006 08:16PM

Yes, there is a reason your body reacts swiftly and violently to eject the ingested super salt solution: it is a poison.

If you go without any salt for even one month, you will then understand the truth.

smiling smiley

Love,
Julie

Date: December 14, 2006 09:33PM

You do NOT absorb the salt, when mixed in the right proportions the salt water flush is as salty as the blood and CANNOT be absorbed. Below are the complete instructions, it is basically a saline enema, doctors will prescribe a saline enema before they examine your colon with an internal camera, and they will send you to the drug store to buy a bottle of salty water and instruct you to drink it and eliminate a few hours before they examine you.

I've often wondered if this is partly why people will eat soup when they are sick. Soup is generally very salty, and perhaps it acts a little like an saline enema, and cleans out the colon, moving the toxins which were making you sick out of the body.

Here is a master cleanse diary that I like to read because it has a lot of tips. It goes into what happens if you take the tea in the morning instead of at night and things like that.
[yestheyrefake.net]

DIRECTIONS: Prepare a full quart of lukewarm water and add two level (rounded for the Canadian quart) teaspoons of uniodized sea salt. Do not use ordinary iodized salt as it will not work property.

Drink the entire quart of salt and water first thing in the morning. This must be taken on an empty stomach.

The salt and water will not separate but will stay intact and quickly and thoroughly wash the entire tract in about one hour. Several eliminations will likely occur. The salt water has the same specific gravity as the blood,

hence the kidneys cannot pick up the water and the blood cannot pick up the salt.

This may be taken as often as needed for proper washing of the entire digestive system.

If the salt water does not work the first time, try adding a little more or a little less salt until the proper balance is found; or possibly take extra water with or without salt. This often increases the activity.

Remember, it can do no harm at any time. The colon needs a good washing, but do it the natural way - the salt water way. It is quite advisable to take the herb laxative tea at night to loosen, then the salt water each morning to wash it out. If for some reason the salt water cannot be taken in the morning, then the herb laxative tea must be taken night and morning.

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: December 15, 2006 12:05AM

I agree with FruityJules. I've tried that salt water flush several times, with precisely the 'right' amount of salt etc. and never eliminated with it, just felt bloated and toxed out from the salt, which WAS absorbed. That stuff is poison.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 15, 2006 02:38AM

toxed out. lol

if salt is poison then how come surfers aren't all dead?

Date: December 15, 2006 02:42AM

what's right for one is not right for all.

but we would simply die without any kind of salt at all. we are as salty as the ocean.

Date: December 15, 2006 02:43AM

Narz,

They don't drink the seawater, at least not on purpose.

If you go salt-free for a while, you'll know what I mean. Salt-free means no nama shoyu, olives, miso, etc.

Date: December 15, 2006 04:50AM

tropical Wrote:
> You do NOT absorb the salt, when mixed in the
> right proportions the salt water flush is as salty
> as the blood and CANNOT be absorbed. Below are the
> complete instructions, it is basically a saline
> enema, doctors will prescribe a saline enema
> before they examine your colon with an internal
> camera, and they will send you to the drug store
> to buy a bottle of salty water and instruct you to
> drink it and eliminate a few hours before they
> examine you.
>
> I've often wondered if this is partly why people
> will eat soup when they are sick. Soup is
> generally very salty, and perhaps it acts a little
> like an saline enema, and cleans out the colon,
> moving the toxins which were making you sick out
> of the body.
>
> Here is a master cleanse diary that I like to read
> because it has a lot of tips. It goes into what
> happens if you take the tea in the morning instead
> of at night and things like that.
> [yestheyrefake.net]
> rnal.htm
>
>
> DIRECTIONS: Prepare a full quart of lukewarm water
> and add two level (rounded for the Canadian quart)
> teaspoons of uniodized sea salt. Do not use
> ordinary iodized salt as it will not work
> property.
>
> Drink the entire quart of salt and water first
> thing in the morning. This must be taken on an
> empty stomach.
>
> The salt and water will not separate but will stay
> intact and quickly and thoroughly wash the entire
> tract in about one hour. Several eliminations will
> likely occur. The salt water has the same specific
> gravity as the blood,

So it is the combination of the salt, proportion and water that makes it unabsorbable.

So why is salty sea water not drinkable?

Date: December 15, 2006 07:20AM

greenman Wrote:

>
> So why is salty sea water not drinkable?

A Google search brought up this site:

[ask.yahoo.com]

Including this response:

"The U.S. government came through again with an answer from the Department of Energy's Ask a Scientist web site. Prof Bill's response is brief and to the point:

Humans can't drink salt water because the kidneys can only make urine that is less salty than salt water. Therefore, to get rid of all the excess salt taken in by drinking salt water, you have to urinate more water than you drank, so you die of dehydration."

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: December 15, 2006 09:59AM

I have done the master cleanse. As it states you need to be near a bathroom for the next hour or two because your boday will be ejecting that salt water quite quickly.
You do need to play around with the balance sometimes to get it right though, so that it produces the desired result (a good flush).
You just have to make sure you use a salt like sea salt, not that processed junk.
Over the years the master cleanser has been done by probably hundreds of thousands of people and I have never heard of anyone dying from salt poisoning or dehydration.
Obviously if you only drank salt water you would die. It does make you thursty drinking and salt water though.

Date: December 15, 2006 02:24PM

Jadedshade,

Of course people don't die from drinking a little salt water in the flush. The don't die from salting their food, either or from eating meat or any of the other junk foods in the SAD diet. The don't die immediately, they get sick and die slowly from them.

Again, try going without salt for a month and then taste it and you'll know what FruityJules and I mean.

Date: December 15, 2006 03:55PM

greenie Wrote:
> greenman Wrote:

> Humans can't drink salt water because the
> kidneys can only make urine that is less salty
> than salt water. Therefore, to get rid of all the
> excess salt taken in by drinking salt water, you
> have to urinate more water than you drank, so you
> die of dehydration."

Now it makes sense, the amount of salt in the Master Cleanse is nothing compared to the amount of salt found in sea water.

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: December 15, 2006 04:04PM

Greenie,

That was meant to be more of a humorous phrase, I guess I should have put a "lol" after it or stated it in less of a "matter of fact" way.

I guess I was just stating that fact so that anyone reading this wont be put off from doing the master cleanser by the talk of death from salt water.

Oh well, I think the thread has reached a good conclusion thanks to good input from everyone. Yay!

Date: December 15, 2006 04:59PM

greenie Wrote:
> I agree with FruityJules. I've tried that salt
> water flush several times, with precisely the
> 'right' amount of salt etc. and never eliminated
> with it, just felt bloated and toxed out from the
> salt, which WAS absorbed. That stuff is poison.

I've had that happen to me too, and believe me nothing ruins your day like having your salt water flush not come out. You do feel exactly like you described.

I've figured out that that happend bto me because I didn't preceed it with the Smooth Moove Tea. I would do something like NOT be on the Lemonade Diet and do the Salt Water Flush because I had indigestion, and it wouldn't work. I think that if there is too much foodstuff in the digestive tract it will mix with the salt water and it won't work.

I also think that there might be salt already in the tap water I use, which might have thrown the measurement off, I now use a little less than 2 teaspoons when I measure the salt.

When it works right, it is like instant, short-term diarrhea and some people jokingly call it "butt-pee".

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2006 05:04PM by tropical.

Date: December 15, 2006 05:16PM

Tropical,

I had the Smooth Move tea the night before and the SW still stayed in and made me feel crappy all day long.

The SWF is an old Indian/yogi technique, been around since way before the MC. I tried it long long ago, many times, with the correct salt/water ratio, the proper type of salt, etc. etc. and it just *&#$ing doesn't work for me. I wish it did. I often have the runs all day from the fast and it would be great to get that over with in an hour or two in the morning instead of being on a short tether to the john all the time.

jadedshade,

You're right, I didn't catch the humor in your post. Thanks for clarifying.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: December 15, 2006 07:51PM

I agree with the posters above who said salt is a poison. The reason that salted water is "cleansing" is because when the body sees all that salt, the body goes into a rapid elimination phase, removing the salt from the body to protect itself from the salt. The yogis use heavily salted water as an emetic, to cause the body to vomit up the contents of the stomach.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: December 15, 2006 10:28PM

Bryan Wrote:
> The yogis use heavily salted
> water as an emetic, to cause the body to vomit up
> the contents of the stomach.

If you checkout the new Bond movie, there is a scene where salt is used to induce vomitting after a character ingests some posion. I believe salt has also been used in the armed forces to induce vomitting for a long time.

Ian.

Date: December 15, 2006 10:49PM

meh, i DID go without salt so i have my own experience with it, what's the big deal already? some people can't drink salt water, eating or not eating salt doesn't affect me. we're all different. 'nuff said eh?

Date: December 17, 2006 12:07AM

Now I've got a question. If the SWF is working because the body recognizes it as a toxin, then shouldn't it work everytime, without fail, regardless of how it is measured?

Date: December 17, 2006 07:09PM

tropical Wrote:
> Now I've got a question. If the SWF is working
> because the body recognizes it as a toxin, then
> shouldn't it work everytime, without fail,
> regardless of how it is measured?

True. Burroughs does say in the book to increase and decrease the salt until you find the right amount for your body.

Therefore, I assume it takes different amounts for different bodies to recognize it as a toxin and react.

Posted by: rawlife ()
Date: December 19, 2006 03:37PM

i have had chronic lyme disease for nearly 10 years.
i did 4-5 years of heavy antibiotics
i did a year of IV antibiotics
this really didnt do too much.

natural mineral salt and vitamin c are saving my life along with raw foods and a natural healing program i put together.

it gives me energy, makes me feel wonderful, and is killing the pathogens.

we evolved in, and came out of the sea. we are completley capable of tolerating salt. infact we need salt to exist and as mentioned we have salty blood. the same cannot be said for the pathogens. they cannot take on the salt in the cells and they die from osmatic shock.

i am taking the equivelent of at least about 1 1/2 salt water flushes daily. this is 12 grams of natural salt, and 12 grams of natural C.

the results are changing my life to how i have wanted it to be for a very long time.

american indians would drink small amounts of salt water for medicinal purposes, and because it would enhance their other medicines.

heres an article about the healing properties of salt, this is for real. im living proof.

[www.harmonikireland.com]

mineral salt is alkalizing in the body and cleans it out. i dont want to think where i would be without it.

Posted by: samina ()
Date: December 19, 2006 07:07PM

wishing you a full recovery, rawlife! i had systemic lyme disease myself, so i know something about that experience. you have been on quite a journey... i did not take antibiotic therapy -- my path toward healing primarily involved working the mind-body connection to enhance immune function, and i eventually brought in nutrition as well.

but i made a full recovery... grinning smiley so don't give up hope, it's very possible, and sounds like you're moving in a good direction!

personally, i am absolutely enchanted by salt and its effect on my body. obviously, i'm not talking about table salt. but i find richly mineralized salt -- both taken internally & immersing myself in it -- to be amazingly therapeutic.

my family is from an island in greece where many times i've been so fortunate to spend summers floating in the heavily saline water. i have felt healed & charged & deeply nourished by the experience many times, and could talk a long time about the experience.

table salt may be poison, but it is not my experience that taking richly mineralized salt -- such as himalayan crystal salt, which i use -- is anything but helpful, when combined with other reasonably balanced & healthy practices (such as getting enuf water)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2006 07:08PM by samina.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: December 20, 2006 12:27AM

One thing I have found true in my raw path is that foods that make me thirsty after I eat them I tend to avoid, as I don't like being dehydrated because it doesn't feel good. When I eat fresh fruits and greens I don't get thirsty from eating them. However, many cooked foods made me thirsty, dehydrated or dehydrating raw foods make me thirsty, and foods with salt make me thirsty.

If salt is so healthy, why does it make us thirsty? (hint: the solution to pollution is dilution)

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables