Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Natural appetite suppressant?
Posted by: jackie ()
Date: December 16, 2006 04:27AM

Maybe it's just because it's winter. Maybe I'm stressed, who knows...that's not the important part.

The problem is I'm hungry a lot; trying to get back into excercise and 100% raw, but having a problem because I'm feeling hungry, even if I've just eaten!

Sounds like a mind game, but meanwhile, what are some suggestions for natural appetite suppressants?

I do not drink any beverage with caffeine, it makes me jittery. I only drink water and sometimes herbal tea or ginger tea.

I've heard somewhere apple cider vinegar will naturally suppress appetite, but just using it on my salads does not seem to work.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Natural appetite suppressant?
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: December 16, 2006 10:29AM

I've heard that mesquite meal is a natural appetite suppressant.

(Although personally, I'd try eating more and depending on your currrent fat intake you might want to add a little bit more for the winter.)

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

One of the reasons we are all extra hungry in winter is
Posted by: Piano Gal ()
Date: December 16, 2006 04:30PM

because we are cold. The body subconsciously is seeking warmth from a layer of fat. Dr Flora, who's been raw since the cows came home, which they have since none of us are eating them, suggests that you take extra care to bundle up INDDORS. I do this. I even wear a little knitted cap on my head (our home tends to be cold). If need be, I'll throw a scarf around my neck. I wear thick wool socks. OK, so I'm not a fashion statement at home. But if I am warm enough, I'm not craving the fat that I do when I'm cold all the time. Give it a try. See what you think

Love,

Piano Gal

Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: December 16, 2006 06:02PM

Hi Jackie.

For me the best appetite suppressant is Wheat Grass Juice. When I'm in a particularly hungry phase, I eat a much cleaner diet ( less sugars from dried fruits, less honey, agave, etc, and more regularly timed meals and snacks) and I drink 1 oz of wheat grass in the morning on an empty stomach, and 1 oz of wheat grass at night before bed, or a few hours after dinner.

I also find that eating 2 TBS of sprouted fenugreek seeds daily ( you sprout a bunch of seeds and measure out 2 TBS of the sprouts to eat) really balances the blood sugar and metabolism, and cleanses out the liver.

i breathe in
i breathe out
peace
love
joy
Bikini

Date: December 18, 2006 02:29AM

Thanks for all your ideas!

After thinking on my predicament, I also believe that I'm one of those people who crave more grains after eating them (the downward spiral...) and it's best to just stay totally away from them.

I do not have a problem with sprouts, but any bread-type food is just a trap for me. I have avoided it totally for 4 days now, and am not looking for food after I've just eaten! That's a plus.

I've started sprouting fenugreek seeds after reading this post; I'll have to wait to buy the wheatgrass because it takes a bit longer to grow the grass.

Think I'll pass on the mesquite meal; anything resembling flour at this point will make my already shakey imagination go haywire (ie: bread type cravings).

Thanks for all the good ideas. I'll try anything to get back on track.

Posted by: ryandvan ()
Date: December 18, 2006 02:44AM

To avoid the grain spiral, start your meal with other bulkier and less dense foods, like raw fruits and veggies. After you are so full of them that you can't take another bite, then go for the grains. You will eat a lot less of them guaranteed.

You might also try drinking more water. Sometimes the thirst signal can be misintrepreted as hunger.

Peace,

Ryan
radicalvitality.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2006 02:45AM by ryandvan.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: December 18, 2006 04:11PM

take raw unfermented cacao beans like 2 and wrap in Medjool date. Many other benefits too you will see, like happiness

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: December 18, 2006 04:18PM

Greens! Green drinks really curb my appetite.

Posted by: samina ()
Date: December 18, 2006 10:22PM

yep... greens do it for me, too. any smoothie combo that mineralizes my system.

but i will still crave crunch, and will need to nibble until i get my crunch fix

Date: December 18, 2006 10:40PM

I agree totally: a green smoothie lasts, no hunger, and I've been splitting them. Half I drink at around 6:30 before work, the other half goes into my thermos for lunch. No problems until I step into the house.

I'll actually have like 3 meals from 5:00 to 9:30 pm! That's just silly!

For now, I don't really miss the grains. I rarely ate them until recently when I got into the grains trap and started desiring them (with everything from jelly to creamcheese to butter!) at night. So, I gotta figure it's more brain and emotion than hunger. I've restocked with lots of not too sweet fruits like cukes and tomatoes. I eat something at 5:00, then wait an hour or so and have a large salad (instead of bread or pasta). That seems to be working a bit better now that I'm 5 days away from my last grain product.

But then again I'm thinking I'm hungry, but I've already done eating for the day. I'll start adding some not so sweet fruit later; maybe that will help. It's all a mystery to me!

Thanks again for your comments.
Hmm. I could make a small smoothie at night...hmmm. I may try that tonight! They sure do last, and last, and last...

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: December 18, 2006 11:52PM

Cacao beans spring to mind, also tabacco (organic) works well, but you've got to be careful since it's fairly addictive.

Ian.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables