Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

greens
Posted by: apple ()
Date: December 17, 2006 06:34AM

Hello all
I want to improve my diet ( why do I get these urges during the winter?!)
I want to mainly add greens into my diet as I have no problem eating fruit.
I was wondering what greens are most common during winter-I don`t want to spend a lot of money buying expensive greens! I will if I have to I guess but I`d rather not! Isn`t it hard to "rotate" greens in the winter as Victoria B suggest? I`d love to know how all of you get your greens during this cold period.
Thanks.
smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2006 06:34AM by apple.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: greens
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: December 17, 2006 11:06AM

Everyday I go out and pick wild greens (even in winter). Get yourself a good guide to wild edible plants in your area and see what you can find. (Or just get a book on local plants and you can use [www.pfaf.org] to find out if they are edible.)

By the way, I live in London, it is possible to find wild greens to eat all over the place!

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 17, 2006 06:56PM

ALL greens are common during the winter (at least in Florida)! Some great and less common greens are: Kale, Swiss Chard & Radish Greens. Growing your own lettuces and other greens...or sunflower sprout greens...is always a great idea......which ensures freshness, vitality and true organic standards.

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: ryandvan ()
Date: December 17, 2006 11:06PM

Here in California, I can get a head of local organic green leaf lettuce for $0.99 at Whole Foods. I do organic red leaf lettuce, romaine and spinach as well which are only slightly more expensive. Rotating is good, but it's better to have the same greens then no greens!

-Ryan

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: December 18, 2006 01:24PM

I grow things like mint, basil and parsley in my window any time of the year. They are good to grab and eat, Just get a good shape window planting box to put them in so they don't get root bound.
I find all kinds of greens at the store, I get things like celery, lettuce, cucumber inexpensively all the time. The expensive greens are my favorite though, which are young leaves.

Posted by: chickory ()
Date: December 18, 2006 11:29PM

I grow micro-greens indoors- sunflower, peas (need whole green peas), and buckwheat in a shallow container with just a sprinkling of soil on the bottom. Sprouts you can grow in jars include clover, alfalfa, mustard, broccoli, and radish- put them in the sun a few days after they have sprouted to green up their leaves. Directions for micro-greens and sprouts are at [www.sproutpeople.com]
A cheaper mail order source of seeds and legumes is [www.sunorganic.com]- also some are at Whole Foods and other grocery stores.
Chickory

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 20, 2006 02:42PM

I live in Fla also and it is green season. There is a guy who is local and starts all these unusual wild types especially for people like us who want to get young nonsupermarket plants for healthier eating. I have some of his wild types growing in pots in my backyard. He said that some of his friends (customers) eat only raw food, I guess they know a good thing when they see it!

But I also buy them, usually 4 heads of romaine, a bunch of arugula, maybe 2-3 bunches of spinach, and whatever else is on sale that week and I still run out by day 5.

Lettuces go down easiest, that is for sure!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables