Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

marine phytoplankton
Posted by: tezcal ()
Date: November 26, 2014 12:10AM

the benefits of this stuff seem really astouding. I however haven't found many people who have used it successfully. My main issue is the price, David Wolfe says that the powdered version is much more potent and effective than the liquid, but i can't seem to find any that is much cheaper that $150 bucks for 1/4th of a pound.

so my questions are as follows,

a) anyone have experience with this superfood?

b) is there anywhere i may have just overlooked which doesn't sell is quite as expensive, in bulk perhaps?

and

c) would i be better off trying out something like hydrilla instead? (for those who have used both)

thanks,
tezcal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2014 12:12AM by tezcal.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: marine phytoplankton
Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: November 26, 2014 12:37AM

I have yet to try marine phytoplankton but am going to try it very soon. Yes, it is very expensive on longevitywarehouse.com, unfortunately. However, marine phytoplankton is loaded in EPA, amino acids, phytochemicals, and is supposed to extremely nourishing on a cellular level due to its unique composition. I don't think Hydrilla could replace it. I contacted longevitywarehouse and they told me there is 120 mg EPA per serving. They also told me the reason for the high-price is because it is a whole food whereas most marine phytoplankton are supplements.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2014 12:38AM by jtprindl.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: November 26, 2014 12:50AM

One thing about life is that the things that are really valuable are not that expensive.
Sun light
Water
Sprouts
Sleep

The things that are not as valuable are very expensive
Caviar
Veal
Shrimps
marine phytoplankton

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2014 12:51AM by RawPracticalist.

Date: November 26, 2014 12:59AM

"One thing about life is that the things that are really valuable are not that expensive.
Sun light
Water
Sprouts
Sleep"

Sprouting seeds are expensive, especially when you're juicing them.

Date: November 26, 2014 01:13AM

Great point. Organic seeds are expensive because they are rare.

Lands and resources are devoted to non organic seeds and the demand for organic seeds is low.

Otherwise seeds are not expensive compare to the yield of greens they produce.

A handful of wheat berries costing less than a dollar will give you a tray of wheatgrass you can juice for a week. The same can be said for lentils, mung beans, and other seeds.

Date: November 26, 2014 01:21AM

"A handful of wheat berries costing less than a dollar will give you a tray of wheatgrass you can juice for a week. The same can be said for lentils, mung beans, and other seeds."

Organic wheat berries are inexpensive but wheatgrass juice isn't something you can obtain a lot of calories from and isn't going to make up a large portion of anyone's diet. Broccoli/kale sprouts, sunflower greens, and sunflower seeds are relatively expensive and except for the sprouted sunflower seeds, again, none of those provide a lot of calories, even if you juice an entire tray. So for something that provides very small amounts of calories (albeit lots of nutrients, enzymes and phytochemicals) and therefore makes up a small percent of the diet, it's pretty expensive. The sprouted seeds are definitely a good source of calories but grass/sprout juice is superior in terms of overall nutrition and can get costly when juicing them on a daily basis.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2014 01:28AM by jtprindl.

Date: November 26, 2014 10:17AM

I would consider wheatgrass or other grasses as local super food. In addition to the regular local food, the tomatoes, broccoli, and greens, we drink the grasses for any additional missing nutrients the regular local foods may not have. So I agree we do not need them in large quantities.
But are they really expensive, no they are not. I could easily spend 20 dollars or more for lunch at a restaurant but 20 dollars of organic wheat berries can last for a month or two of wheatgrass.

Posted by: tezcal ()
Date: November 30, 2014 12:38AM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One thing about life is that the things that are
> really valuable are not that expensive.
> Sun light
> Water
> Sprouts
> Sleep
>
> The things that are not as valuable are very
> expensive
> Caviar
> Veal
> Shrimps
> marine phytoplankton

I love sleep, drink about two gallons of water a day, and sun gaze when my schedule permits. The only issue is these things don't provide vegan EPA. According to David Wolfe marine phytoplankton also has 100% bio-availability.

It is also the main thing consumed by whales, which have an incredible amount more intelligence than us humans, have evolved on both land and in the sea to basically live their lives naked in an abundance of ocean thriving on a food they will never run out of, while us humans are comparing sun light to mineral rich foods, arguing over whether or not one should eat bananas or avocados all day, etc. so yeah, i would like to give it a try when it makes sense financially. I wouldn't mind paying so much if there were a place which gave discounts for bulk prices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2014 12:45AM by tezcal.

Date: November 30, 2014 04:52AM

"One thing about life is that the things that are really valuable are not that expensive"

This logic doesn't really make sense. Essentially what you're saying is that if something is expensive, it's not as healthy as something cheaper. If marine phytoplankton was dirt cheap, would it all of the sudden be "really valuable"? The price tag doesn't determine health benefits, something can be of extreme value whether it's free or whether it's really expensive. I'd rather consume marine phytoplankton than purchasing algae-based EPA/DHA supplements. Neither are necessary, of course, with a diet rich in omega-3 heavy nuts/seeds (walnuts, chia, hemp, etc) but if I had to pick, I'd go with marine phytoplankton. It's a whole food rich in EPA/DHA, phytochemicals, and amino acids. Also, the majority of oxygen on Earth is produced by marine phytoplankton.

Date: December 09, 2014 05:54AM

If marine phytoplankton was so special and so important to human survival it will be readily available as air and water.
The main problem most of us have is not that food is not nutritious, rather it is that we have poor digestive system and food cannot be processed adequately. Marine phytoplankton cannot solve that problem.
When the digestive system is working properly a simple apple has enough nutrients to get you going. You may not need expensive marine phytoplankton.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2014 05:55AM by RawPracticalist.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables