Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Effects of walnuts in the brain
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: November 26, 2014 04:25AM

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Effects of walnuts (Juglans regia) on learning and memory functions.

Walnut has been regarded as a health food that is delicious and nutritious. Both preventive and therapeutic effects of walnut are well documented. Walnuts are rich in omega-3 fatty acids that are reported to have beneficial effects on brain function. The present work was designed to evaluate the effects of walnuts on learning and memory in male rats. The effect of oral intake of walnut was also monitored on food intake. Walnut was given orally to rats for a period of 28 days. Memory function in rats was assessed by elevated plus maze (EPM) and radial arm maze (RAM). A significant improvement in learning and memory of walnut treated rats compared to controls was observed. Walnut treated rats also exhibited a significant decrease in food intake while the change in growth rate (in terms of percentage) remained comparable between the two groups. Analysis of brain monoamines exhibited enhanced serotonergic levels in rat brain following oral intake of walnuts. The findings suggest that walnut may exert its hypophagic and nootropic actions via an enhancement of brain 5-HT metabolism.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Walnut diet reduces accumulation of polyubiquitinated proteins and inflammation in the brain of aged rats

An increase in the aggregation of misfolded/damaged polyubiquitinated proteins has been the hallmark of many age-related neurodegenerative diseases. The accumulation of these potentially toxic proteins in brain increases with age, in part due to increased oxidative and inflammatory stresses. Walnuts, rich in omega fatty acids, have been shown to improve memory, cognition and neuronal effects related to oxidative stress (OS) and inflammation (INF) in animals and human trials. The current study found that feeding 19-month-old rats with a 6% or 9% walnut diet significantly reduced the aggregation of polyubiquitinated proteins and activated autophagy, a neuronal housekeeping function, in the striatum and hippocampus. Walnut-fed animals exhibited up-regulation of autophagy through inhibiting phosphorylation of mTOR, up-regulating ATG7 and Beclin 1, and turnover of MAP1BLC3 proteins. The clearance of polyubiquitinated protein aggregates such as p62/SQSTM1 was more profound in hippocampus, a critical region in the brain involved in memory and cognitive performance, than striatum. The clearance of ubiquitinated aggregates was in tandem with significant reductions in OS/INF, as indicated by the levels of P38-MAP kinase and phosphorylations of nuclear factor kappa B and cyclic AMP response element binding protein. The results demonstrate the effectiveness of a walnut-supplemented diet in activating the autophagy function in brain beyond its traditionally known antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Effects of walnuts in the brain
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 26, 2014 04:08PM

And of course you know that walnuts resemble the brain in their appearance...smiling smiley

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: November 26, 2014 04:19PM

Lots benefits of walnuts, just make sure they're at least soaked to minimize enzyme inhibitors and other anti-nutrients. Eating lots of unsoaked nuts and seeds can lead to digestive problems and nutrient deficiencies. I love walnuts, going to experiment making my own homemade flavored walnuts soon. Soaked walnuts, raw honey and mesquite.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: November 26, 2014 05:01PM

lucy, where is my soak water? dammit , all this work for nothing?

Date: December 02, 2014 09:59PM

I often have a meal of fermented walnuts with a high omega 6 nut such as almond or hazel mixed with 4 - 5 brazil nuts. Currently put 20 small walnuts into the mix with other nuts. I also sprout my walnuts with tails in them.

sprouted walnuts (tails)>soaked walnuts>dry walnuts

These nut meals are really good, but the body needs proper preparation to be able to deal with these foods. Nuts need to be soaked and can be had very beneficially when fermented, and nuts also need to be properly consumed by taking the extra time to chew them regardless of whether they are blended or not. Good chewing of bleneded food or juices do make a difference. Building up the bodies digestive ability helps to. Nuts have lots of good energy. Always buy nuts in their shells and preferably from a small business who deals locally with people, or from farmers and backyard growers themselves. Developing nut contacts is difficult and takes lots of work and networking, but it does pay off big time. Nut buying needs to be intimate l find...need to make sure they are raw.

I bought a 25 pound sack of walnuts a few months ago from a man who buys directly from the farmer. They are great nuts.

None of my current nut sources are online, they were found by driving around, from strangers, from friends etc. Collecting all the foods/seeds can take lots of investigation.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2014 10:05PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables