Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Flaxseed lowers blood sugar
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: November 27, 2014 02:49PM

[nutritionfacts.org]

Drug companies hope to capitalize on the fact that the consumption of certain plants appears to lower the risk of diabetes by isolating these plants’ active components for use and sale as pharmacological agents. Though not as profitable, why don’t we just eat the plants themselves?

One plant in particular that’s now been tested is flax. We’ve known for 20 years that having ground flax in your stomach can blunt the blood sugar spike from a meal, but it’s never been tested in diabetics–until now. World Health Organization researchers published an open-label study on the effect of flax seed powder supplementation in the management of diabetes.

Diabetic subjects took a tablespoon of ground flax seeds every day for a month, and, compared to the control group, experienced a significant drop in fasting blood sugars, triglycerides, and cholesterol, as well as the most important thing, a drop in A1C level. If one’s sugars are already well controlled, though, there may be no additional benefit.

How does flax help control blood sugars? Flaxseeds may improve insulin sensitivity in glucose intolerant people. After 12 weeks of flax, researchers found a small but significant drop in insulin resistance, perhaps related to the drop in oxidant stress due to the antioxidant qualities of flaxseeds.

The study profiled in my 3-min video Flaxseed vs. Diabetes showing a tablespoon of daily ground flax seeds for a month appears to improve fasting blood sugars, triglycerides, cholesterol, and hemoglobin A1c levels in diabetics was a non-blinded, non-randomized small study. If it was some drug they were testing, I’d never prescribe it based on this one study, but this isn’t a drug. It’s just flaxseeds. There are just good side effects, so even if this study was a fluke or fraud, flaxseeds have other benefits. In the worst case scenario the seed would still end up benefiting patients who aren’t quite ready or able to reverse their diabetes completely with a plant-based diet.

Flaxseeds are calorically dense, but even adding a half cup of ground flax a day may not lead to weight gain. When 4 tablespoons a day were tested for 3 months the flax group ended up with a slimmer waist than the flaxseed oil or control group. Because of the potential of raw flax seeds to interfere with thyroid function at high doses, though, I would only recommend 2 tablespoons a day. And I would not recommend flaxseed supplementation during pregnancy.

The flaxseed study reminds me of the Prunes vs. Metamucil for Constipation one, or any of those talking about various foods that may control blood sugar (Amla Versus Diabetes), weight (Fat Burning Via Flavonoids), cholesterol (Dried Apples Versus Cholesterol), or sexual dysfunction (Watermelon as Treatment for Erectile Dysfunction). Yes, these foods may help, but why not get at the root of the problem and try to reverse the condition altogether with a healthier diet overall?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flaxseed lowers blood sugar
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: November 27, 2014 03:26PM

Interesting study.
What could have been the results of the study if the flax seeds were sprouted?

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: November 27, 2014 09:28PM

"Yes, these foods may help, but why not get at the root of the problem and try to reverse the condition altogether with a healthier diet overall?"

I agree and I did exactly that for myself. Here is how I did it and why ...

1. I never had a blood sugar problem until I went to a hclf raw vegan from a long term cooked vegetarian diet.

2. Switching from hclf raw vegan to high fat, ( > 60% a day!), low carb, (100 grams a day!), raw vegan diet lowered my FBS back to an acceptable range - and it took over a YEAR for this to happen. It also lowered my triglycerides, which had always been ok before the hclf diet, back to an acceptable range.

3. Between the diet I was on in 1. and 2. I switched to Dr. Cousen's diet and for the around three or four months and while I was on that I started having 4 T. of ground flax seed EVERY day. I continued having 4 T. of flax seed every day for the whole time I was on that diet. That diet did not lower my blood sugar to an acceptable range.

Date: December 02, 2014 08:49PM

Yes, flaxseeds contain a toxin called thio-cyanate, and this is a goitrogen that can interfere with the thyroid. It is said that no more than 4 tablespoons per day of flax should be consumed to keep the toxin level down, but a higher protein diet is said to compensate for the high levels of thio-cyanate.

Is Flax Seed Toxic?
[www.drpincott.com]

The best way to be having flax is:

1). juicing the flax greens (finest way)
2). sprouting for 2 - 3 days
3). grinding (only if you really have too...best to avoid that type of thing imo)

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: December 02, 2014 10:47PM

The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The best way to be having flax is:
>
> 1). juicing the flax greens (finest way)
> 2). sprouting for 2 - 3 days
> 3). grinding (only if you really have too...best
> to avoid that type of thing imo)

IMO, and usage, the #s are in reverse. Ground flax seeds stirred with hot water, salt, a few drops of fulvic acid, and coconut oil for omega-3 chain conversion is a great way to start the day - and it also insures a balance of omega-3's to omega-6's at the end of almost all days. Not only could it not be easier it tastes the best this way by far.

Date: December 03, 2014 01:24AM

"Ground flax seeds...salt, a few drops of fulvic acid, and coconut oil"

Suez,

excellent things to be doing.

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: February 12, 2015 04:56AM

Flaxseed lowers blood sugar
and
coconut oil raises blood sugar

By Panchito

What will a meal of flaxseeds and coconut oil do?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2015 04:58AM by RawPracticalist.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables