Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Toxic little seeds...
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 30, 2014 09:44PM

So...I have a question. I hear a lot of raw foodists/foodies talk about hemp seeds, sesame seeds, flax seeds, their oils...Over the years I have tried on occasion these seeds due to some having Omega 3s. Sesame seeds are pretty darn cheap, even organic, and I buy the unhulled in bulk. However, the last time I attempted sesame seed mylk, the bitter aftertaste of the sesame was awful. I have found in the past that soaking the unhulled seeds seemed to lessen the bitterness. But I wonder if perhaps it's rancidity. For that reason, I do not use flax oil or hemp oil. I find both to be quite nasty and I am not picky. They seem toxic to me due to their flavor. I never get that feeling from pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds or chia seeds!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Toxic little seeds...
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: November 30, 2014 10:43PM

The amount could do the trick. Or it could be the brand or rancidity. I like golden flax seeds better than red. I take two teaspoons of flax and one of sesame every day in a smoothy.

[nutraprointl.com]

Raw flax seeds naturally contain cyanogenic glycosides-such as linamarin, linustatin, and neolinustatin. These cyanogenic glycosides can release cyanates that can be combined with sulfur molecules in our body to form thiocyanates. Excessive amounts of thiocyanates can sometimes be a problematic for our thyroid function and, for this reason, flax seeds are considered goitrogenic.

In addition to cyanogenic glycosides, trypsin inhibitor, linatine, and phytic acid are other antinutrients contained in flaxseed. Trypsin inhibitor activity (TIA) in flaxseed is lower than those in soybean and canola seeds.

Other anti-nutritional compound present in flax seeds is linatine, an antipyridoxine factor. Although linatine is a problem in chicks, flaxseed has not been associated with a vitamin B6 deficiency in humans. In fact, no effect on serum pyridoxine levels in subjects consuming 45 grams of flaxseed per day over 5 wk has been observed (Dieken 1992). These data suggests that linatine is not of a concern as long as we eat less than 45 g of flax seeds a day.

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: November 30, 2014 11:14PM

They all need to be sprouted. That reduces the bitterness

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2014 11:15PM by CommonSenseRaw.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: December 01, 2014 12:58AM

Perfect sweet organic flax seeds...

[pleasanthillgrain.com]

Posted by: Ela2013 ()
Date: December 01, 2014 01:03PM

My favourite seeds are sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds, always soaked over night. They taste the best, I would say.

I never tried hemp seeds and I don't like flax seeds that much.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raw vegan for life. Vegan for the animals. Raw for my health.

Date: December 01, 2014 05:33PM

Sorry, I should clarify. I have never experienced issues with flax seeds being bitter. Only the OIL. I have had shelled hemp and wasn't a fan. It tasted bitter and that made me think it wasn't good for me.

Pumpkin and sunflower seeds do not have that aftertaste! I assume that the small seeds have more of an issue with becoming oxidized (especially if processed in shelling) quite easily because they are polyunsaturated. That oil is so fragile. Sunflower seeds do have lots of Vitamin E--maybe antioxidant action? I know that chia is very shelf-stable because it is high in antioxidants. I have a lot of it in my cupboard and I love the fact that it's got omega 3 yet still is very stable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2014 05:33PM by banana who.

Date: December 01, 2014 05:34PM

CommonSenseRaw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They all need to be sprouted. That reduces the
> bitterness

Not just soaked? Because of the coating?

Date: December 01, 2014 06:44PM

The anti nutrients cannot be deactivated just from soaking.
Soaking starts the process but it is not enough.

Date: December 01, 2014 10:40PM

I've always had way less digestive problems from eating 4 oz.'s of almost any kind of unsoaked nuts and seeds than I have had from eating 4 oz.'s of almost any kind of sprouts.

Date: December 01, 2014 11:32PM

It could just be because you do not like sprouts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2014 11:33PM by CommonSenseRaw.

Date: December 02, 2014 12:30AM

CommonSenseRaw Wrote:
> It could just be because you do not like sprouts.

No. I like sprouts. However 2 oz. a day is my digestive system's limit for them whereas over 4oz. at a time of unsoaked nuts and seeds neither gives me indigestion nor, so far as I know, has affected my thyroid. My thyroid panel tests remain at the same levels they've been at for the last several years.

* I do soak Italian almonds for 2 days though. They are very dry when I get them and it takes them that long to plump up and slip out of their jackets. I don't care for, or trust, their skins so I do away with them.

Date: December 02, 2014 02:42AM

Hey you seed soakers! smiling smiley

Can I still make mylk with sesame seeds if I have sprouted them? I may have actually sprouted them in the past and wasn't even aware because the small ones don't have to grow tails, right? It is just a matter of letting them soak for half a day or so, right? I am just wondering if the total fat remains and it's still viable for making a creaming beverage. I am sure it is.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: December 02, 2014 03:01AM

"Can I still make mylk with sesame seeds if I have sprouted them?"

Absolutely

Date: December 02, 2014 12:07PM

"Can I still make mylk with sesame seeds if I have sprouted them?"

When they become rendered tasteless by doing so though, which they do, what else has been lost in the processing? Too much, IMO. Just a thought.

Date: December 02, 2014 07:38PM

SueZ, I don't think we have to soak the small seeds very long for them to germinate, do we? It's just a matter of hours, really. I know that sometimes I have a tendency to forget and do it too long. I haven't tried in a while because it's a whole thing--I gotta get a jug of spring water first...But thanks for your input (and everyone else!).

Date: December 02, 2014 08:13PM

banana who Wrote:
> SueZ, I don't think we have to soak the small
> seeds very long for them to germinate, do we? It's
> just a matter of hours, really. I know that
> sometimes I have a tendency to forget and do it
> too long. I haven't tried in a while because it's
> a whole thing--I gotta get a jug of spring water
> first...But thanks for your input (and everyone
> else!).

They take 8 hours of soaking and then a few days to sprout into tasteless shadows of themselves. Done properly raw sesame mylk tastes like shyte. It's a waste of time and flavorful seeds IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2014 08:16PM by SueZ.

Date: December 02, 2014 10:57PM

This is my favorite variety of pumpkin seeds - Organic Austrian Pepitas ...

[www.nuts.com]

They are not as cheap as the rest but I think their quality makes the extra cost worthwhile.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables