Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sprouting grains--anyone do it?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 04, 2014 01:14AM

Or do you stick to seeds/nuts? I have all these rye berries and I am about to sprout them. I have done it before, mind you. I just think that the gluten thing must not be at play when wheat and rye are sprouted, eh?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sprouting grains--anyone do it?
Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: December 04, 2014 01:59PM

Life without sprouting seeds will be difficult. I need grasses in my daily diet. I use the sprouted seeds to grow grasses and for seed milk. Life is good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2014 02:00PM by CommonSenseRaw.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: December 05, 2014 08:25PM

There is still gluten after sprouting. Sprouting lessens the gluten but doesn't totally eliminate it. Gluten is like glue, which makes it so nice to make bread. Rice, which doesn't have gluten, is harder to make bread with. After you sprout wheat, you can run it through a twin gear juicer with a blank and get a wonderful gluey dough. From there, you can make manna bread in the sun or dehydrator or even other things. Sourdough is popular to break down gluten even more. So sprouting and fermenting break it down more.

Only about 25% of the public is sensitive to gluten, so wheat is still a viable food, except if you are healing from any brain inflammation (in that case, it is a no-no for anyone).

I avoid gluten seriously, yet I found a raw sprouted wheat product where most of the gluten was sifted out...there is no glue left. I consume this sometimes for the very rich b-vitamins--it's similar to wheat germ, except that it's the whole wheat. So that is truly a paradox...a wheat product that may actually be good for someone sensitive to gluten. There is definitely something amazing about wheat and B-vitamins.

Banana who- are you male? If you are hungry and are tired of fat, then try your sprouted grains. You might need the nutrition! (Also, consider heirloom and always certified organic varieties.)

If you are gluten sensitive, it can manifest in the gut or nervous system. Look for any symptoms.

If you are not sensitive, don't deprive yourself. In fact, growing children, athletes and active men may really need the compact and dense source of calories from grains and pseudo grains (starchy seeds like quinoa and amaranth).

Lastly, people often misuse the word "allergy." Most people have food sensitivities, not real allergies. I read of someone with such a severe sensitivity to wheat, that she couldn't even tolerate wheat grass. That borders on an allergy.

Here is my own gluten story: I had my genes tested and I tested positive for the nervous system genes (gluten hurts the nervous system in some people and the gut in other sensitive types). So, I always digested gluten just fine with no symptoms, but quietly it was hurting my brain...supposedly causing brain cells to die faster. When I quit gluten, the only thing I noticed was that I no longer got tired at the end of the day (around 4-5 pm.), which was a sign of a brain problem. After that, I only got tired/sleepy when I would go to bed (~1 a.m.). It was having the gene test that actually made me come to appreciate the high raw vegan diet more and more, which is excellent for food sensitivies.

Date: December 06, 2014 05:48PM

Tai, I am a woman, LOL! grinning smiley I wasn't asking about gluten due to Celiac's or anything but I am ADD/foggy brained/spaced out. I might just be Indigo, though! winking smiley

In any case, my rye has tails so it's viable, baby. I buy Trader Joe's sprouted bread (which seems to be the exact same brand as Alvarado St. Bakery sprouted bread from Whole Foods from what the ingredients, appearance and taste suggest). The rare times I get regular whole grain bread, I don't like it anymore. It's too dense while sprouted is lighter and "airy." I don't like Ezekiel brand for the loaf, though. I like their sprouted grain tortillas, though!

I have a singer auger masticating juicer and I keep forgetting that it grinds sprouted grains! Thanks for reminding me! That was one reason I bought it. Do you have any raw cracker recipes with rye? I have been scouring the Web for them...

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: December 06, 2014 06:11PM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tai, I am a woman, LOL! grinning smiley I wasn't asking about
> gluten due to Celiac's or anything but I am
> ADD/foggy brained/spaced out. I might just be
> Indigo, though! winking smiley
>
> In any case, my rye has tails so it's viable,
> baby. I buy Trader Joe's sprouted bread (which
> seems to be the exact same brand as Alvarado St.
> Bakery sprouted bread from Whole Foods from what
> the ingredients, appearance and taste suggest).
> The rare times I get regular whole grain bread, I
> don't like it anymore. It's too dense while
> sprouted is lighter and "airy." I don't like
> Ezekiel brand for the loaf, though. I like their
> sprouted grain tortillas, though!
>
> I have a singer auger masticating juicer and I
> keep forgetting that it grinds sprouted grains!
> Thanks for reminding me! That was one reason I
> bought it. Do you have any raw cracker recipes
> with rye? I have been scouring the Web for them...

Have you ever tried [www.mannaorganicbakery.com]? I think they are baked at low temperatures and they have a cake-like consistency. I used to eat this brand before I went 100% raw.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: December 06, 2014 11:07PM

I like the combo of caraway seeds with rye.

I don't have any great recipes to share, but I have eaten sample breadsticks from raw vegan companies that use rye and buckwheat to make their breadsticks and it seems all you have to do is season to taste and shape in any desired form. I think adding some veggies will help it to not be so hard to chew after dehydrating. If you layer it too thick, it could be too hard to chew. So shredding in some onion or zucchini or veggie of your choice might soften it up.

I have made soft pizza crusts with sprouted wheat (before I was strict) in the dehydator and they are pleasant with raw vegan toppings (and some marinara), but as I said, if you dry it completely to a crisp, it can be hard to chew.

Date: December 07, 2014 08:33PM

Tai, I have eaten Manna breads. They are okay but I contacted the company and they're not really raw. However, I do like the purity of the ingredients. In terms of the bread sticks, thanks! I like the idea of mixing buckwheat with the rye. I am thinking I would need a bit of flax due to its cohesive qualities, but maybe I need to just experiment, eh? I am so by-the-book when it comes to "baking."

Posted by: Manta91 ()
Date: December 08, 2014 06:59PM

As to glutenous grains, I can't contribute, but I do enjoy sprouted pseudograin. I sprout buckwheat somewhat regularly and especially love to dehydrate them for cereal. I look forward to trying sprouted quinoa sometime soon, as well.

Date: December 11, 2014 04:43AM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Or do you stick to seeds/nuts? I have all these
> rye berries and I am about to sprout them. I have
> done it before, mind you. I just think that the
> gluten thing must not be at play when wheat and
> rye are sprouted, eh?

There is gluten in rye/wheat sprouts, but as it grows into grass the gluten goes away, but it has been said to come back at about the 10th day as the grass becomes more mature and loses it's potency.

Fermented rye/wheat sprouts still has gluten, but very very little.

www.thesproutarian.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables