Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

HARD CORE RAW VEGANS
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: December 21, 2014 06:17AM

I was at a farmers market once and this raw vegan guy from California, took a head of kale and sprinkled hemp seeds on it and ate the whole thing in front of everybody. I was like who is this man? I was so impressed.

I was looking at an apartment for rent once and a man who was like 85 years old was renting it out. I just pretended I wanted to rent his place so I could see how he lived. He showed me photo albums of him in the 60's working on a tomato farm and ALL HE ATE WAS TOMATOES, mono, when they were in season. That was pretty cool.

Deep inside I am a super hardcore raw vegan too. Although the world I live in now is close to cooked, meaning my family do not embrace this, I do this solitary, and I live in cold climate now. I feel like one of those cockroaches who moved to snowy caves. Like the raw vegan religious cult leader who has a harem of wives. Thats what he said about white people. We like snowy caves. I used to live for nude beaches. Now I am like the cockroach.

I used to look at photos of raw vegans and think they really lived like that, on beaches, in tree houses, like really embracing nature...but a lot of them are phonies and dye their hair or wear makeup or get surgery. Or live like everyone else. Go to work, drive cars, buy National Enquirer.

I loved Victoras Kulvinskas book of his letters and in it you would see these wild naked women pregnant on beaches who live fruitarian lifestyle and think wow...but maybe that was just my fantasy of how the lifestyle is or should aspire to be. Not reality.

Or buying land in some forest in South America where they stick sticks in the ground and they grow into fences. And all the fruit you can eat. I feel I missed that chance. Waterfalls and coconut cut open with machetes. Massages and volcanic hot springs.

Its hard making a living doing what you love, which is raw veganism. I took courses and got certificates and awards for completing classes. Then I found out. I really do not want to work in a kitchen. I hated it. I felt like a slave. Like I was selling my soul. I am super shy person. The idea of cooking or uncooking for others, and their parties, not really fun to me. I did have an interview with Bob Marley's mother, who was very ill at the time and her cook at the time thought she
should eat raw foods, so he introduced us, that would have been a cool job. But other than that, doing raw vegan cooking for a living is not that easy or exciting. Its really hard I think. Food business is not easy..long hours, and mostly its juicing lemons all night in a kitchen. Not glamorous at all.
The raw food chefs who have made it, I would call them hardcore.

I love those hardcore raw vegans, Thanks for inspiring me. I miss the fantasy, riding bikes into forests high on wheatgrass juice, swimming nude with endangered animals. I miss it. I want it back. Its my past. I was so one with nature, alive.

Real raw vegans true ones, are so beautiful. They really exude love energy and aliveness.
Those with the passion. The writers, the bloggers, the you tubers. I love them. All into RAW VEGANISM.

What do you guys think?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2014 06:23AM by coconutcream.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HARD CORE RAW VEGANS
Posted by: Raw Curious ()
Date: December 21, 2014 07:38AM

Hi coconutcream.

I've been following your blogs for years. You are fantastic. I wish you'd blog again.

I admire your dedication to raw food. The social pressure is hard.

I am 43 now and have been into raw food since I was 17. I was influenced by Viktoras Kulvinskas and Ross Horne pre-internet, as well as other authors. I've never become fully raw. I am not an all-or-nothing person. I do bow to social pressures. I haven't eaten fish, chicken or red meat since I was 16 years old though.

A big part of my dedication to raw is that I think that it keeps you looking younger. Also the world is more colourful when raw I find...it's like a vibrational thing... But I've been thinking a lot recently about raw food versus fat. Is it more important to be raw no matter what, or is it more important to keep fat low?

I have been watching Freelee's Youtube videos for a long time, and although I don't agree with her about everything, she is drumming into me the whole thing about high fat being worse for you than staying raw at all cost. Even though I have been convinced for a long time that a raw food diet is the best diet, I have noticed that Freelee seems to be looking better on her Raw till 4 diet than when she was raw generally speaking. Occasionally it has been the other way around.

Generally I find that my face looks younger and sweeter if I am raw, although sometimes, if I eat too much fat, I won't look or feel my best.

coconutcream, I do remember when you lived in Miami and that temperature suited the energy you gave off. Living in such a cold environment doesn't seem you, but for some reason that is where you are. Do you find that you need a higher fat raw diet in such cold temperatures?

Although my face looks better raw, I'm not happy with my body. My weight doesn't fluctuate hugely - I've always been the same dress size...relatively slim. I may be what could be termed 'skinny fat' and am wondering whether the fact that I eat a high fat diet a lot of the time has contributing to that. I used to think that raw fat was different to cooked fat, but it seems like the low fat thing is very important to a lot of raw foodists.

Some people say that low-fat cooked is better than high fat raw. I think there are three general approaches to a raw/high raw diet - low fat raw, high fat raw, low fat raw with a healthy cooked vegan dinner. I am going to experiment with doing these three three approaches - one day of each and then repeating it. I don't have the self discipline to be low fat raw like FullyRawKristina for instance. I don't want to eat cooked food every night like Freelee. And I still want to eat things like raw gourmet food here and there.

I know what you mean coconutcream. It's hard enough making a batch of carrot pecan burgers in a dehydrator for yourself...doing it on mass as a means to making a living sounds like a real drag.

You've always had an interesting take on things and a very unique personality. I would never have thought you were a shy person.

I think if you had a Youtube channel like Freelee, you would make a lot of money. I'd definitely watch it. But the problem with exposing yourself like that is attracting the haters. Even Angelina Jolie would get her share of lumpy, negative people sitting on the couch eating doughnuts and pulling apart her looks. I definitely couldn't handle it. I have to admire Freelee for that.

coconutcream, you are a shining light with a colourful, interesting and expressive personality. I hope you attract that high frequency and magic that you feel you are missing.

Date: December 21, 2014 08:31AM

Thank you Raw curious, as I am breastfeeding I read your kind words. Yes, I remember my blog. When I think back, I get a little sad. My whole blog was a love letter. I was not selling anything. I loved raw vegan foods. I did. I loved photos of tropical fruit and I loved living the fruitarian lifestyle. I was horribly wrapped up with an "unsavory character" as Reverend Douglas Cotrell once told me- that he was. I was taken completely with this educated wealthy man who has to this day, some kind of power over me... I could not have him, so to comfort myself, I would write him letters through my blog. Kind of like to a third party. I guess my passion was raw vegan foods and I wanted to share that. He was what they call a muse for writers. I loved writing it, it was a very solitary fruitarian life I led. I played a lot of games trying to win this man. I became superhuman in my focus, but I could not overcome my own shades of low self esteem. I spent five hours daily at Equinox, 'I fasted on fruit juices for weeks. I joined a spiritual cult. I discovered Ayn Rand. I made love in famous places. All for him. I went on rendezvous all over the country and world with this man. My Mr Big. He hated me, hated my love for him, he would torture me, with games and new girlfriends. Nothing we did was sacred. Lies, walls of lies. He drove me mad. And I dove into fruitarianism. I got boyfriends. I played chess and lost. That diary, was all coded in mysteries only I could decipher. Raw vegan foods took me to all those places.

Thanks for talking to me. I feel invisible a lot. Thanks for saying hi. Thanks for your good spells! I think I liked high fat when I was preggers. Now I like just regular raw foods. Fruits. I did make raw banana bread today in dehydrator. I no longer eat high fat. Just a phase while preggers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2014 08:34AM by coconutcream.

Posted by: Raw Curious ()
Date: December 21, 2014 10:38AM

coconutcream. i remember your intense relationship with that guy. i loved your honesty. your blog was captivating. you have a lot of colour in your aura. but it's hard when raw is not the norm. there are pockets in the world where it is more acceptable and just easier. i go out to dinner a lot with my boyfriend. that is where it is hard for me.

i also saw the blog you wrote a couple of years ago, with pictures of raw food that you are eating. you are very readable, plus you provide great pictures of raw foods. i understand that if you have kids maybe you want to be more anonymous these days.

i think you have a lot more light and colour and beauty than a lot of raw 'gurus' out there... if you do decide to start another blog or youtube channel, let us know...because you are so unique. plus, you are 100% raw and committed to that. it would also be very interesting to know about when/if you have fallen off the raw wagon. also, what drives you to be raw? is it about looks, the way you feel, your vibration? i can look like a different person when i am raw compared to when i eat cooked. eating raw seems to make the world more of a magical place.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: December 21, 2014 12:12PM

Raw vegan is hard core by definition, I think. I am hard core too. It feels good be raw. smiling smiley

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Ela2013 ()
Date: December 22, 2014 12:24PM

Coconutcream, don't say you feel invisible here. You are not. I love reading your posts. I didn't know about your blog, could you give me the link, I would love to read it. I think you are a wonderful person and very dedicated to raw, very passionate about the raw vegan lifestyle.

I am a hard core raw vegan too, even if I'm still just at the beginning, I feel I'm always at the beginning as I still have bad cravings in the winter when the variety is little and the prices are high. But I feel this is the only way I can eat, the only way I can be. It's now in my nature, it's already a part of me. Going back to cooked would be like denying my identity.

Coconutcream, I'm also a lonely raw vegan here, misunderstood and "weird" for the others. My mom and grandmom think I'll be dead soon eating this way, my husband thinks it's just a phase. But I go on, I trust my body. And my body loves this lifestyle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raw vegan for life. Vegan for the animals. Raw for my health.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2014 12:26PM by Ela2013.

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: December 22, 2014 03:56PM

It is beautiful to read such life stories of commitment.
The one concern I have is does it have to be 100 percent raw?
There is nothing unnatural about having some food cooked.
Hard core needs to embrace those who are committed to raw but not 100 percent.
Even animals in the wild eat food cooked by wild fire.

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: December 22, 2014 04:51PM

<<<There is nothing unnatural about having some food cooked.>>>

That's like saying it's "natural" to have sex with animals or with dead people or even with the same sex!

There ain't nothing "natural" about any of these things!!!

When it comes to the Laws of Nature, we are either OBEYING its Laws or we are VIOLATING its Laws.

There are NO GREY AREAS when it comes to the Laws of Nature. It's no different than Gravity. If you jump off the roof, you're ALWAYS going to hit the ground!

Posted by: HH ()
Date: December 22, 2014 07:42PM

"I feel like one of those cockroaches who moved to snowy caves. Like the raw vegan religious cult leader who has a harem of wives. Thats what he said about white people. We like snowy caves. I used to live for nude beaches. Now I am like the cockroach."

I love going outside in the winter: skiing, hiking, running...it's really beautiful and quiet. You only make yourself a cockroach by submitting to the cold weather.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: December 22, 2014 08:12PM

"but it seems like the low fat thing is very important to a lot of raw foodists."

It is but it's completely unfounded and can be even dangerous. It's nothing more than dogma that is parroted over and over again but has no basis in reality. It stems from studies showing the harmful effects of eating cooked animal products and processed foods and for some illogical reason raw foodists believe that applies to raw, plant-based fats. Now I'm not implying that high-fat is good and low-fat is bad, that's nonsense. They can both work, it all depends on the individual - their state of health, metabolism, how they feel and if they are completely nourished. I'd stray away from the advice of anyone proclaiming that you must follow low-fat or you must follow their type of diet, it's essentially an admission of nutritional ignorance. For healthy individuals, the whole low-fat/high-fat debacle isn't even a big deal. Avoid nutrient deficiencies and eat lots of phytochemicals and antioxidants from raw, plant-based foods and you'll be healthy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2014 08:15PM by jtprindl.

Date: December 22, 2014 08:24PM

"Avoid nutrient deficiencies and eat lots of phytochemicals and antioxidants from raw, plant-based foods and you'll be healthy"

That is the question.

But the answer is not so clear.
Which ones to avoid, which ones to eat?
And do they all need to be raw?
How many can you eat at a single meal?

Date: December 22, 2014 08:55PM

"That is the question."

No, no, that is the answer smiling smiley

"Which ones to avoid, which ones to eat?"

Consume fruits, algae's, green juices, sprouted nuts & seeds, coconut, and sea vegetables as well as having a source of probiotics (such as coconut water kefir). As for myself, I also consume bee products and superfoods. Some raw foodists don't believe in superfoods. I do. From experience and scientific/anecdotal evidence.

"And do they all need to be raw?"

In my opinion, raw food is always optimal compared to cooked food. I don't worry about certain superfoods or something like maple syrup not technically being raw because they deliver a host of health benefits. Well, maple syrup isn't too spectacular but it's still a healthy sweetener. Not that I eat it a lot anyways.

"How many can you eat at a single meal?"

Depends on the type of food but it's always best to keep combinations at a minimal. For fruit, I'd personally only do 2-3 at a time. Nuts and seeds, 1-2 at a time but never mixed with each other (nuts with nuts and seeds with seeds). For algae's, I'll consume AFA and marine phytoplankton together & chlorella and spirulina together. It really all depends on the individual, there's not an exact science to food combining, though I do believe that certain combinations are better than others.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2014 08:56PM by jtprindl.

Date: December 22, 2014 09:06PM

Great answers, thank you.

Date: December 22, 2014 10:12PM

You're welcome smiling smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 22, 2014 11:29PM

seaweed i think
is a missing link
because most vegetables
don't have enough minerals
or have been depleted

and seaweed is rife with minerals

Date: December 24, 2014 05:01AM

HH yeah remember when raw foodist gurus skied in shorts topless, in the snow?

I googled raw vegans skiing naked and this came up.

I can't post photo, I don't want to get banned, but I can post a "link, right?".

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: December 24, 2014 10:21AM

CommonSenseRaw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Hard core needs to embrace those who are committed
> to raw but not 100 percent.

I'm hard core, and I agree. We don't have to embrace each other's diets, but we can embrace each other. winking smiley

Posted by: rawveggiemom ()
Date: December 27, 2014 05:12AM

I miss the hard core raw vegans. I feel like I let that life pass me by too. I have kids I have to take care of and I live in a cold place I hate. I am still !00% raw and have been for a long time. But I just miss the old times of raw.
I agree coconutcream I loved your old blog and you could make money on youtube if you wanted too. I am a very private person so I would never put myself out there.

Date: December 27, 2014 07:38AM

coconutcream Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I used to look at photos of raw vegans and think
> they really lived like that, on beaches, in tree
> houses, like really embracing nature

I used to believe all of that too, my niavity was caused by Viktoras' books. winking smiley I certianly got a big surprise when l checked all these raw fooders online, and when l joined raw vegan forums. Talk about a big let down. I used to think everyone was s easoned raw food expert who knew everything, and it was one of the reasons l never joined raw forums years before...l felt intimidated and not worthy of such raw food company.

...but a lot
> of them are phonies and dye their hair or wear
> makeup or get surgery. Or live like everyone else.
> Go to work, drive cars, buy National Enquirer.

Yes, the lifestyle talked about is much different to real life.

>
> I loved Victoras Kulvinskas book of his letters
> and in it you would see these wild naked women
> pregnant on beaches who live fruitarian lifestyle
> and think wow...but maybe that was just my fantasy
> of how the lifestyle is or should aspire to be.
> Not reality.

Exactly!!! That's why l was so niave, l read his books far too many times.

> I love those hardcore raw vegans, Thanks for
> inspiring me. I miss the fantasy, riding bikes
> into forests high on wheatgrass juice, swimming
> nude with endangered animals. I miss it. I want it
> back. Its my past. I was so one with nature,
> alive.

Lovely to read.

>
> Real raw vegans true ones, are so beautiful. They
> really exude love energy and aliveness.
> Those with the passion. The writers, the bloggers,
> the you tubers. I love them. All into RAW
> VEGANISM.
>
> What do you guys think?

It could be a beautiful thing if enough of us cared enough to do it to the highest level by living the lifestyle.

Living the lifestyle = growing the food, meditating, trying to avoid the system as much as possible.

Not living the lifestyle = would be most vegans...vegans of convenience. Too much work growing your own food, so just buy it from shops instead. Too tired to exercise and meditate. I will only pour out love when it suits me. Lies and more lies. Agression when challenged. Fake gurus.

I know various hardcore livers, but that are too busy living their lifestyle to post here. Sometimes l wish l wasn't online, my lifestyle would be much better and more pure.

MADO, excellent posts.

should eat raw foods, so he introduced us, that

Date: December 27, 2014 07:59AM

I love the hardcore raw vegan life and don't desire the comforts of anything else. I am determined not to let it pass me by anymore. People say l have no life because l spend much of my time growing my food, meditating, in deep thought or helping others, but that IS my life. What else am l going to do?...watch t.v, go to parties, talk nonsense and get all warm and fuzzy in `the system'? I don't want any of that because l spent too many years of my life already doing that nonsense.

A family? Sometimes things are far more important than that...most men are meant to be in relationships and have families, but a few men are meant to do much more than that, they are born to make philosopies and serve mankind without the problems which loyalty to families creates.

Real love = loviong all people equally because you realise the human potential.

Low level love = loyalty, because you give certain people more love than others.

Posted by: guest1 ()
Date: December 31, 2014 01:05AM

Well, yes, they are selling something: a utopian ideal that doesn't exist. It is not food. It is more like a religion, an all-encompassing lifestyle.

I think a lot of the prominent people start out with good intentions but it goes bad after a while.

Some of them are really narcissistic, if not outright psychopathic. They are not so different--all cluster B disorders in DSM-IV, and if they are different at all it is a matter of degree, not direction.

I know one guy who while not raw, is the founder of an alternative health organization. He went to medical school. We took undergrad courses together and went out for a brief while but it didn't click. Then he started dating my sister. They both got their MD degrees. But he lost his. He wrote a weird paper that made his peers uncomfortable and then he got "defrocked."

He wrote books on his theory and he has a large following now.

At some point it becomes about money and survival, about supporting one's family, or whatever. So they will say "stuff" to get attention and money. But they do not necessarily believe in it. When it becomes more about money than love it becomes a drag.

I would prefer the real thing. A real love of the subject. And yes, if coconutcream had a youtube channel I would watch it.

Some of them are very shrewd business people.

I found this for example to be disturbing.
[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables