Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How to be a raw foodist by Joe Alexander
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: December 21, 2014 10:41PM

He was a writer from the 1980's or maybe earlier about raw foods. Here is his top ten
I think he means its transition

HOW TO BE A RAW FOODIST

1 Give up white sugar, white flour, white rice and polished grains, all carbonated soft drinks.

2 Give up drinking of alcohol

3 Give up cooked red meats

4 Give up cooked eggs

5 Give up cooked white meat

6 Give up cooked grains of all sorts

7 Give up cooked beans and roasted nuts

8 Give up cooked potatoes

9 Give up all cooked vegetables

10 Do not even stew prunes or bake bananas anymore.
( who does that lol)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2014 10:41PM by coconutcream.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to be a raw foodist by Joe Alexander
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 21, 2014 11:38PM

why doesn't j alexander

just simplify it and just say eat raw fruits vegetables seeds n nuts

that would cover all basis

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: December 22, 2014 12:48AM

Date: December 22, 2014 03:40AM

LA VERONIQUE< yeah I was thinking that, like adding a note saying OR YOU CAN GO COLD TURKEY.

Raw foodism isn't just about food.

For me to give advice to someone about being raw I would say:

1 Only eat raw nuts seeds vegetables greens fruits and recipes of that stuff only.
2 Start Juicing
3 Learn how to sprout
4 Dehydrate stuff start with banana chips
5 sunbathe nude
6 exercise get a bike or walk or go running, or take ballet class for adults
7 start listening to music a lot
8 meditate be spiritual send love energy work with love, life force, pay attention to synchronizations
9 get a blog, sign up here, start reaching out to others
10 take lots of photos!! read raw food books.

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: December 22, 2014 04:01AM

[www.living-foods.com]
Who's the real enemy?, by Joe Alexander
Fredric (---.qc.sympatico.ca)
Date: 06-08-01 20:39

Guys, this not-yet-edited article was sent to me by Joe Alexander, author of "Blatant Raw-Foodist Propaganda." It will be printed in the magazine Just Eat An Apple, and on the to-make-sure-to-check-out website: [www.sunfood.net]

Who’s the Real Enemy?

The denunciations of animal-food consumers and attachment to "Raw Vegan" terminology prompts me to ask JEAA readers to consider the question: who’s the real enemy, anyway?

Once I was lettering a window (I am a sign painter by trade) on the main street here in Fayetteville, and a young fellow about 20 years old stopped to talk to me. He started telling me about the fights that his gang had with another gang. I told him I didn’t like hearing about that sort of thing, and this was why: we all have a common enemy, I said, and that’s the government. If we’re spending all our time fighting each other, how are we going to get together to fight our great common enemy? The young fellow acted as if he’d been stunned with a hard blow right between the eyes when I said that. He walked away looking a bit dazed, probably like Saul on the road to Damascus being blinded by the Truth from Jesus Christ! It was too bad, I would have liked to talk to him more, I wish he hadn’t gone away so quick.

Another time, I went to a meeting of the Black Students Association at the University of Arkansas. A young black fellow from Texas talked about how the blacks and Mexicans in Texas were fighting each other for the limited number of jobs available. So I told him, the number of jobs available is dependent on the supply of money in the economy, and the supply of money is controlled by the Federal Reserve Bank. They have a divide-and-conquer strategy, I said, and by limiting the amount of money, they can limit the number of jobs and so get the poor people, whites, blacks, Mexicans, what-have-you, fighting amongst themselves so they never get together and fight their common enemy — which is of course the Federal Reserve Bank, which through interest and taxes confiscates most of the money we make so that we are economic slaves though supposedly free. The young fellow looked quite thoughtful when I said that; I hope something got through to him, long-term.

So I want the raw fooders to consider: who’s the real enemy, anyway? The great value to me of raw foodism is the love of natura that it gives me, and the desire to live in harmony with Nature. I feel friendly towards anyone who’s basically oriented towards organic farming, natural foods, a respect of wildlife and primitive-type people and their ways of life. To me, the big enemy is Technocracy. Technocracy is that attitude which wants to use chemical fertilizers and synthetic pesticides, which wants to crowd the animals together in confinement facilities, feedlots, chicken houses, etc., and pump them full of antibiotics and hormones. Technocracy is that attitude that promotes genetic engineering and irradiation of food, that scours natural healing and looks always to drugs, surgery, radiation and genetic engineering for health care. Technocracy is that attitude which seeks to destroy small farms and get all agribusiness under control of a few giant interlocked corporations, and forbids the people from hunting, fishing, and gathering under the pretense of "environmental protection." Technocracy is the great enemy of all who are oriented towards the natural life and I think we’d best put our efforts words getting together to fight our great common enemy rather than waste so much effort in silly little fights over veganism vs. animal foods, fruitarianism vs. seed-eating, and even cooked food vs. raw, for there are many cooked food eaters who are great and sincere nature-lovers, and doing great work fighting the Technocracy.

Technocracy seeks to deprive us all of access to the land via U.N. "environmental protection" schemes and crowds us into city apartments where we have to buy our food at the supermarkets. It seeks to deprive us of free choice of health care modes and forces us to eat irradiated foods. The Technocracy is a very big, very dangerous enemy. It seeks to totally contaminate and degrade the natural world with genetic engineering. I say all the nature-lovers better put their major efforts into fighting the Technocracy rather than each other.

For instance, for the past year, I’ve been quite active in the fight against food irradiation. Now that raw foodism is starting to become popular, the Devil no doubt wants to make it impossible, and his tool for doing that is to promote food irradiation as beneficial to health because it kills pathogenic bacteria. He is inspiring the minds of the corporate scientific food irradiation industry to first remove all legal hindrances to the marketing of irradiated food, and no doubt to eventually get laws enacted similar to the pasteurization laws, requiring irradiation of all foods put up for sale. Farmers markets and natural food stores selling non-irradiated foods will be outlawed on the grounds that unirradiated food is unsafe, if the food-irradiation industry has its way. So far this push for food irradiation has been held in check, though it has made some progress, by activists led by the Food and Water Organization, and by Ralph Nader’s Public Citizen group. Most of these people are cooked food eaters, and meat eaters, but I am just grateful for their leadership in the fight against food irradiation. For instance, one of the leading irradiation opponents, Steve Mc.Cargar, is an organic beef rancher. I am not going to criticize him for cooked food eating or meat eating, I am just grateful for what he has done to deter the progress of irradiation. If it were not for the cooked-food eating, meat-eating activists of these two organizations, it might already be impossible to buy raw fruits and vegetables.

The fight against the Technocracy needs many more activists. I’d especially urge raw foodists of whatever sort to get active against irradiation. For info on how to gt involved, visit: www.citizen.org/cmep or call Public Citizen at 202-546-4996. Or call me at 501-442-6194, or write: Joe Alexander, 257 22nd St., Fayetteville, Arkansas, 72701

When we’re run the damned Technocrats off the planet, there will be time to iron out these silly, petty differences over vegetarianism vs. meat-eating, raw vs. cooked, etc. Until then, let’s concentrate on getting together against the common enemy of all who are basically oriented to harmony with nature. I’ve seen too many people spending too much time fighting with those with whom they have the most in common, with whom they ought to be natural allies!
[www.living-foods.com]

Date: December 22, 2014 04:02AM

WARNING! This book is hazardous to complacency, and may cause "pondering," a shift in deep-rooted habit patterns, insight into the nature of reality, and, in general, the loss of a negative outlook on life! ''Blatant Raw-Foodist Propaganda'' by Joe Alexander

Date: December 22, 2014 04:13AM

Blatant excerpts from:
Blatant Raw Foodist Propaganda!
by Joe Alexander

INTRODUCTION
by Terri Su, M.D.

Our highly technological society has processed, refined and tampered with food to the point where most products in a grocery cart today are unrecognizable as to their source. Boxes of sugared and colored shapes called cerels and pastas and soda pop full of drugged meat also fill the rows. Our unfounded trust in the innocuous nutritive value of these products needs to be educated. The truth needs to be spread that these chemicals added to our food and the stripping away of our nutrients is detrimental to our health and well-being.

Food should be regarded as medicine with a complex pharmacology, and this is made more complicated by the addition of thousands of chemicals into our food, making foods essentially drugs with certain side affects. Perhaps too, our prevalent problem of obesity is partially related to craving for nutrients (known and those yet undiscovered) that have been processed out of our food.

America's material affluence has led to a nation that is overfed but undernourished. A diet based on meat and very little fresh raw food is deficient in many nutrients, including the very important essential fatty acids, linoleic and linolenic acids, found only in plant sources (seeds, nuts, avocadoes, beans, grains, etc.). These fats, which we must have in our diets as we cannot synthesize them ourselves, are precursors of an important class of modulators of hormone activity. They have been found to be important in various disorders as high blood pressure, ulcers, asthma, menstrual cramps and toxemia of pregnancy. These fats may be chemically altered by cooking and processing, thus their sources should be eaten fresh and raw.

On the other hand, the typical American diet is sickeningly rich in saturated fat and overabundant in protein. This high saturated fat and high protein diet has been correlated with higher rates of cancer and heart disease, major killers in our society. This type of diet is also lacking in fiber. Fiber may be defined as that part of food that passes undigested into the colon (large intestine). Low fiber diets are thought to have a role in appendicitis, diverticular disease, cancer of the colon, constipation, hemorrhoids, varicose veins, diabetes and heart disease. Popular foods such as hamburgers, pizzas, chesse, fried chicken and hot dogs are low in fiber and high in saturated fat and protein.

Hopefully this short introduction has interested you in improving your diet. My good friend, Joe Alexander, certainly is an inspiration to eating better to feel better. He radiates good vibrations and has more energy than anyone I know.

Best wishes,
Terri Su, M.D.

Excerpts from Chapter 1
INTRODUCTION TO RAW FOODISM

The most idealistic emotional feelings tend to lead people to feel that a diet of raw fruits, nuts and vegetables is the "lightest, purest and most beautiful," while unprejudiced reasoning leads us to the conclusion that these things must be our natural diet because they are the foods we are attracted to and enjoy in their raw, natural state. The most pure-hearted intuition and the most thoroughly rational science always lead to the same point.

The greatest value of the raw food diet is its transformative value. To a great extent, when you take up the raw food diet, you become a new and different and better person. You don't just stay the same old person, only a little healthier. You become, to a great extent, a new being with new interests, a new philosophy and outlook on life, new goals and desires. You become a person who is more a part of the great life of Nature and less of the confused human world. You become less "of the World" and more of the Earth."

Such transformations of course are impossible to imagine before you have experienced them. So the raw food diet doesn't so much "improve you" as "replace you" with somebody better! One of the most common statements of people who take up raw food diet in middle age or later, is that they now feel younger than they did even as teenagers. And yet at the same time they feel possesors of an ancient and ageless and eternal wisdom. The spirit is old and wise, and fresh and young at the same time.

Raw foodists get new insight into how much better (than we commonly imagine) life can and should be, how Nature intended it to be. The common little miseries of life, such as frequent colds and flu, indigestions, chapping of hands and lips in cold weather, bad breath, sluggishness and depression, disappear, and become seen as not natural and normal parts of life at all, but indications of an unbalanced and unhealthy, chronically poisoned condition.

-

Arnold Ehret wrote, once you have taken a few steps on the road back to Paradise Health, you see that modern man is not at all a highly intelligent and advanced creature, but a degenerated shadow of what he ought to be.

I have read in farmers' magazines, that if you want your hogs to fatten up quickly, feed them boiled potatoes, not raw; that if you want your cattle to gain weight, cook their grain; don't feed it to them raw. The huge American overweight problem is probably due to the unnatural eating of cooked foods, rather than any specific types of "fattening" foods.

Why does raw food provide such better nourishment, such superior vitalizing and health-giving qualities, than cooked food? Well, we can look at it from two angles, the material and the immaterial. On the one hand cooking destroys the natural chemical composition of the food. The vitamins are altered and destroyed, the proteins are scrambled, the enzymes are torn to pieces. Even simple mixtures of just a few inorganic elements can often be totally changed in character through cooking over a Bunsen burner. What then of foodstuffs, composed of thousands of the most complex organic chemicals poised in fragile balance?

Taking it from the inmaterial angle, the great harm of cooking is that it destroys or drives off the life-force in the food. Just look at how strong and alive a fresh raw carrot looks, and compare that to the limp and decaying appearance of a cooked carrot. Some people are able to dowse the life-force in foods via a pendulum. The wider the circle the pendulum swings in, the greater the life-force. They find that the pendulum indicates much greater life-force in raw foods, as our common sense would expect.

But the most convincing test is that of your own experience. You make a comparison between a meal of raw vegetables, and a meal of the same types of vegetables cooked. The raw vegetables leave you filling light, fresh and alert, whereas the same vegetables cooked will make you feel lethargic and sluggish for hours after a big meal, such as Thanksgiving dinner. But meals of raw food don't produce such lethargy and dullness. Vegetarians don't believe in killing for food, but too often they kill their food by cooking it!

Raw food diet is a sort of rational and healthy austerity. It is the sort of discipline that makes you more free. For example, a skilled draftsman and painter is free to make pictures that look like anything he or she desires to create. The unskilled person is free only to fool around and make childish-looking pictures. The raw food diet is a healthy discipline that frees you to be more creative, work harder and think more clearly. It also makes you more free to enjoy the beauties and wonders of the natural world.

There is a popular saying, "You are what you eat." Well, this is a partial truth. There are many, many factors that go into making up just what and who you are. Food is one of them, and one of no small importance. Diet has much to do with the health of the body and much to do with the basic attitude of the mind, whether it is aspiring, searching for truth and growth, or just wants to stay stuck in the same old rut. Many factors go to make up what we are, and since food is one of considerable importance, I am writing this book to tell what I have learned of the food factor.

Excerpts from Chapter 4
ICE COLD, HARD, RATIONAL & OBJECTIVE
SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE OF THE HARMS OF COOKING

RAW FOODISM HAS SPREAD
mostly because it makes sense. It makes horse sence and common sense and some of the witty types say it makes dollars and xcents, because fruit and vegetables are cheaper than meat and it also saves you thousands of dollars on doctor bills, dentist bills, and drugs of both the recreational and prescription variety. Prescription drugs of course you don't buy anymore as a raw foodist because you don't get sick; recreational drugs lose much of their attraction because raw food diet is a better high than even LSD, to say nothing for marijuana. You also save money on gas or electricty to run your stove, and you tend to prfer to walk or ride a bicycle so you save money on gasoline also. The world of Nature becomes far more interesting than artifical entertainments so you tend to spend less on movies too. On the other hand, you are likely to develop a strong desire to convert the world, and end up spending all that money you saved on publishing books and pamphlets to spread your propaganda!

Every person whose thought processes have not become hopelessly corrupted by cooked-food addiction and spurious health theories, always recognizes immediately as soon as they hear about raw foodism, that of course it is the most natural and therefore bound to be the healthiest and why didn't I think of it myself a long time ago? However, true science and intuitive understanding never contradict, and there is in fact a good deal of hard scientific data to show the superior health benefits of a raw food diet, and some of the more intelligent, educated and respectable raw foodists are constantly gathering more such data, so that for a person capable of unprejudiced thought, the evidence for the raw food diet is now absolutely irrefutable.

So now let's look at some of this hard, cold, objective and scientific data
For example, in Dr. Ann Wigmore's book "Be Your Own Doctor," she says:

"Cancer growths and sores appear in practically every part of the body and take a long time to heal. Since the body creates these conditions, it is essential to eliminate the food which feeds their development. From his long experience, Dr. Earp-Thomas was fully convinced that when cooked food was eaten it permitted tumors and growths to build within the body. Yet when living food was substituted, these tumors and growths immediately began to shrink for lack of nourishment. The most thrilling experience I can recall was to see cancer cells taken from a human body and thriving on cooked food but unable to survive on that same food when it was uncooked."

Of course this pattern applies to the macrocosom as well as the microcosom! The cancerous growth on the planet-that modern human technocratic civilization has become-lives on cooked food! If people would return to natural eating, this cancer on the Earth could not survive.

Further on, in the same book, Dr. Wigmore reports:

"The experience of my good friend, John A. MacDonald, shows the power, the almost unbreakable strength for evil, in improper foods. Some years ago, John owned a pet shop which specialized in the raising of white mice. He sold mice by the thousands all over the world. In his enclosure for the mice, he had thousands all over the world. In his enclosure for the mice, he had placed a large bale of hay. From the dried grass, the mice built a cooperative apartment house. They cut numerous tunnels through it, built hanging gardens, cliff-dwelling pueblos and wonderful balconies on which they raised their young in harmony. It was a happy existence of peace and plenty.

"John became concerned about the rising price of grain to feed the mice and was on the lookout for ways to cut costs. A neighbor who ran a rather sizeable boarding house offered to supply him daily with leftover scraps from her tables. John gladly accepted the opportunity to increase his profits. But when the leftover food was sustituted for the grain, a blight seemed to settle over the mouse community. Eating the same food that human beings ate changed the complexion of the c0-operative establisment. Quarrels broke out and battles raged through the baled-hay corridors. By the end of the week, dead mice littered the floor of the compound. Cannibalistic parents ate their young. The weaker mice were slain without provocation.

"Realizing that only disaster loomed ahead, John threw out the scraps of food and went back to grain. The result was quickly evident. No more mice were found dead of half eaten. This is not an imaginary story. It is a documented history of facts. And what the food human beings ate did to the mice, it is evidently doing today in many disastrous ways to our children and adults in many of our communities."

Dr. Wigmore continued:

"Here is another incident to demonstrate the havoc of unsuitable food. It is the saga of two sister white cats having litters of kittens in the same bureau drawer one early May. They were both fed a mild, dry cat food mixed with freshly cut wheatgrass. Harmony reigned in that drawer as the eight kittens used any convenient spout that was available for the precious milk. The kittens did not know which of the cats was their mother.

Then on May 25, responding to an advertisement on television, the mother cats were switched from their accustomed food to canned meat with no wheatgrass. The harmonious situation began to disrupt almost immediately. On May 31 the two mother cats were rolling on the floor clawing each other, bringing blood to their white fur. The canned meat was not served that evening, and in its place was the mild cat food with the wheatgrass. This feeding was continued and within a week the two mother cats once again sprawled out peacefully to co-operatively feed the youngsters. The experiment was repeated again to make sure this was the reason for the change in disposition of the mother cats. The results were the same."

In the same book, Dr. Wigmore makes the statement that cooking destroys up to 83% of the value of food. So, eating cooked food is like taking a job at $300 a week and, after taxes, getting $51 to take home to support your luxurious lifestyle.

In John Tobe's book "The Golden Treasury of Natural Health Knowledge," there is a copy of a paper by Paul Kouchakoff, M.D., for the First International Congress of Microbiology, in Paris, in 1930. Dr. Kouchakoff's discovery concerned the leukocytes, the white blood cells. Apparently it was well known that immediately after a person ate, there was a sudden increase of the white corpuscles occurred. Here are some of the key points of Dr. Kouchakoff's conclusions:

"After 300 experiments on ten individuals of different ages and sex, we have come to the following conclusions:

1. The augmentation of the number of white corpuscles and the alteration of the correlation of the percentage between them which takes place after every consumption of food, and was considered until now as a physiological phenomenon, is, in reality, a pathological one. It is called forth by the introduction into the system of foodstuffs altered by means of a high temperature and by complicated treatments of ordinary products produced by nature.

2. After the consumption of foodstuffs produced by nature but altered by means of high temperature, an augmentation of the general number of the general number of white corpuscles, as well as a change in the correlation of this percentage, takes places.

3. It has been proved possible to take, without changing the blood formula, every kind of foodstuff which is habitually eaten now, but only by following this rule, viz.-that it must be taken along with raw products, according to a definite formula. (Author's note-as I recall, this formula was that the raw foods must be eaten first and must consitute at least 50% of the total meal.)

4. Blood examination can only have significance as a diagnosis if it is made on an empty stomach."

In his book "Pasteur Plagiarist Imposter!," R.B. Pearson describes experiments done with cats by Dr. F.M. Pottenger and D.G. Simonsen. Pearson writes:

"They put two groups of cats on diets of meat and vegetables, identical in value, except that in one group the meat was given raw, and this group seemed to maintain normal good health throughout the experiments. In the other group the meat was all cooked, and this group showed an astonishing breakdown of health in ALL of the animals.

"They found every sign of lack of minerals, such as incomplete development of the skull or other bones, bowed legs, rickets, curvature of the spine, paralysis of the legs, convulsive seizure, thyroid abscesses, cyanosis of liver and kidneys, enlarged colon, and degeneration of the motor nerve ganglion cells throughout the spinal cord and brain stem, with some cells affected in the cerebellum and cerebral cortex."

Strange to say none of the cats on raw meat had any of these troubles at all, yet millions of humans are afflicted with one or more of them, and have no conception of the cause, and neither have their doctors in most of the cases. They add, of these cats: "The deficiency renders the experimental animals so deplete in important vitalizing factors that the third generation is unable to live beyond the period corresponding to childhood in the human being."

This experiment of Drs. Pottenger and Price is one of the most interesting pieces of objective evidence for the value of the raw food diet.

Excerpts from Chapter 5
UNSCIENTIFIC, SUBJECTIVE & ANECDOTAL
EVIDENCE FOR RAW FOOD DIET

While it's nice if you can get objective and scientific evidence in favor of the things you believe in, the only thing that really matters concerning a subject such as diet, is whether the diet in question will actually make us feel healthier and happier.

So let's see what some raw foodists have described as their subjective reaction to the raw foodists have described as their subjective reaction to the raw food diet. First I'll give you a few that I have borrowed from other books and then some original, never before published stories.

Prof. Arnold Ehret wrote in "Mucusless Diet Healing System:

"If your blood 'stock' is formed from eating the foods I teach (fruits and green-leaf vegetables), your brain will function in a manner that will surprise you. Your former life will take on the appearance of a dream, and for the first time in your existence your consciousness awakens to a real self-consciousness.

"Your mind, your thinking, your ideals, your aspirations and your philosophy changes fundamentally in such a way as to beggar description.

"Your soul will shout for joy and triumph over all misery of life, leaving it all behind you. For the first time you will feel a vibration of vitality through your body (like a slight electric current) that shakes you delightfully"

And now here are a few original and previously unpublished stories:

first one sent to me by
Sherri Webb of Pasadena, California.

My experience with raw foods began six years ago, when I accompanied a friend who had cancer to the Hippocrates Health Institute in Boston. The friend was looking for a cure and I for a vacation. After all, I was already a devout lacto-ovo-junk food vegetarian and needed no instruction in the proper way of eating.

"I had an interview with Ann Wigmore, as did my friend, as soon as we set foot in the Institute. Ann's gentleness will never be forgotten and neither will her bluntness. I learned in ten short minutes that my 160 plus pound body, acne, circles under the eyes, digestive troubles, allergies, constipation and general lethargy were far from normal. Her comments regarding the internal condition of my colon will never be put into print. My body with its wounded ego decided to give, fruits, seeds, sprouts, and wheatgrass juice a two-week trial and no more.

"The 'experiment' is still taking place, and my initial negative reaction to true and radical vegetarianism has blossomed into a passion and commitment that is uncompromising. After the first year of eating about 90% raw and 10% steamed vegetables, occasional baked yams and sun baked breads, I shed 45 pounds and immediately rid myself of food, dust, and pollen allergies. In fact, I have not purchased a box of Kleenex in years. The acne faded away after two years as did circles under the eyes, which are a definite indication of renal stress and adrenal exhaustion. Constipation and lethargy go hand in hand, and both disappeared as soon as I embrassed a diet of water-filled fruits and vegetables in addition to the elimination of dairy products.

"Friends would invite me to dinner from time to time and I would once again indulge in such dishes as eggplant parmesan, tofu tacos, and nut cutlets with cheese. Within hours clear nasal passages became filled with mucus; indigestion reappeared as did constipation. Several of these experiences proved to me that the body is indeed a self-cleaning, self-regulatory and self-maintained organism. Foods that do not appear in nature and particularly cooked foods do the body more harm than good, because they retard the normal nourishing, cleansing and restorative process.

"The effect that raw food vegetarianism has had on mental acuity and spirituality is even more profound. A clean body and a began to praise me on writing and speaking abilities as if I were a new person. Concentration improved and an increased stamina and attention to detail became the rule rather than the exception. I require less sleep than ten years ago, and am much more productive in tasks I undertake.

"Spiritually speaking, I feel closer to mother earth and truly connected to creation. Raw food vegetarianism is a humble way of eating. It is accepting food as it was created by God for our consumption and not trying to improve on mother nature. Raw food vegetarianism is peaceful . It is simplicity. Raw foods give life rather than take it area. When the body exists in a trouble free state and the mind is pure, the soul can be free at last to express itself. The soul can play. The raw food diet is one of the most efficient ways to unite mother earth, body and mind with spirit and isn't this the purpose of living?"

The next story is from
Bill Keogh of Grass Valley, California:

"My turn to a raw food diet started 20 years ago. I was beat up by a bully, and my ego was totally deflated. The first thing that came to mind was revenge. I started lifting weights, in hopes of getting stronger than my foe. This was all the wrong reason, but having this experience of getting a black eye sprouted a seed in me that has taken me through a journey of extremes in search for perfect health and well-being.

"I went on my way for the next eleven years lifting heavy weights, getting big muscles, cramming all the food high in protein and taking endless supplements. This I thought was perfect health, although I still got sick, and didn't feel that extremely great. I kept getting bigger until I reached 220 pounds. Being in this state doesn't do much for the betterment of the world, or inner health, mental or physical.

"As time went on I had a conversation with a wise person about eating meat. It made so much sense to me I knew I had to become a vegetarian. All my friends thought I was crazy. They said I wouldn't get enough protein and lose my big muscles (a fate worse than death). It's not easy to become a vegetarian, or especially a raw foodist, without being around encouraging people to help. The rewards are great! Perfect health, a sense of well-being that can't be explained, only experienced. A deep love for the earth and its creatures. Isn't that what we can't get too much of? Love, Bill."

Tanya Keogh writes:

"Throwing away (or just not using) my kitchen stove at first seemed like a really strange idea, as it is such an intricate part of our lives. I had always been a very good cook - mostly out of necessity since my mother was such a horrid one. If I wanted to eat anything at all palatable, I had to 'cook' it myself. How was i to know that the most palatable (and nutritious) of all would have been to just not cook it at all - and anything that could not be eaten uncooked should just not be eaten. As I said, This notion of not cooking seemed very strange, but as I thought of the idea more and more it began to make a lot of sense.

"Most of my life I was quite concerned with eating properly. I have been a vegetarian for many years and have read extensively about health and nutrition. Almost all of the intelligent and well-written books on the subject advocated eating a lot of fruits, vegetables, seeds and nuts 'in the raw state if possible,' but there were few that said that everything should be raw, and if and when I did this, somehow I just couldn't quite comprehend that this could actually be done- after all, everyone cooks. It's just something that no one questions as we (the human race) have been doing it for generations. It's just one of those rituals that everyone accepts as being very necessary - like getting a cold or two plus the flu every year, a headache at least once a week, and indigestion when one overeats (or sometimes just eats).

"Well, my husband and I were open to try new things, and quite by coincidence at the very time we were reading a book about raw foodism we met the author of the same book - our own Joe Alexander. Now reading about something and actually discussing it with an authority who has experienced it are two different things. This meeting was to change our lives. The timing was perfect as we were already intersted and felt that this was just the next step in our quest for perfect health. So we took the giant step and threw away our pots and pans (our stove we kept for making tea).

"I experienced no cleansing crisis, no cold, no flu-like symptoms - just extreme energy and vitality. And I sure saved a lot of my valuable time not having to 'cook' meals. The transition was not at all difficult as I thought it might be - it was actually fun to experiment with things I had never even thought could be eaten raw - like squash, or sweet potatoes. Everything has such a unique, crispy and juicy flavor when raw. I was actually asking myself why anyone would ever want to cook those beautiful fruits and vegetables. If your kids don't like cooked peas or spinach or zucchini, try giving it to them raw. Cooking takes away the sweetness, the crispness, and turns it all into a flavorless mush that needs salt, pepper, spices, ketchup, sauces or other assorted 'flavor enhancers' to make it palatable. Why go to all that trouble in the first place?

We've been eating basically raw foods for two years now, and in that period of time I have not had one cold or flu, no constipation (or diarrhea), no infections of any kind. I've had no itching scalp, headaches, indigestion, lack of energy, irritability, insomnia, or any other affliction that people tend to think of as just a part of living.

"Animals who live on a natural diet of uncooked foods don't suffer from any of these civilized problems, so why should we? It's a lot easier than you think to become a part of nature''s scheme of things. As far as I'm concerned, the only natural diet is a raw food diet."

Excerpts from Chapter 7
HOW TO BECOME A RAW FOODIST

Now sometimes there are people who are attracted to raw foodism but don't know just how to go about doing it. After all, it's a very unaccustomed thing for most people to do. Most of us, all our lives, have become used to eating cooked food with every meal, to spending a substantial amount of time over at the stove shuffling pots and pans around, turning the burners up and down, putting in a dash of this and a pinch of that... it would certainly feel strange to suddenly stop all that. It would feel eerie. Suddenly there would be this big hole, this immense void in your life. It's like you've been carrying around a 75 lb. backpack all your life and now all of a sudden you're supposed to take it off. You've been fiddling with straps and shifting the weight around and learning to walk a little stooped over to balance the load - and now someone is asking you all of a sudden to take off your backpack! It would certainly feel strange to be without it. What would you do with all the time you used to spend fiddling with the straps and adjusting the load? And how strange it will feel not to have that weight on your back! So you see why people find it strange to contemplate the idea of becoming raw foodists.

Not being accustomed to raw food eating, some people create some strange, imaginary, mystical ideas about what it is. For instance, some people I have met, seem to think of raw food eating as a sort of unattainable ultimate goal of life, some sort of far off blissful, ecstatic condition that you can hope for and long for and gradually work towards but can never quite actually attain. Well, of course it is nothing of the sort. Raw food eating does help keep your emotions at a higher tone, so you don't get as far down in the dumps as you used to. But the purpose of life is not to become a raw food eater. Rather the purpose of raw food eating is to keep you healthy and energetic and clear of mind so that you can better accomplish some worthwhile goals in life.

Now when the question comes up, of how does one actually become a raw foodist, I am reminded of the old saying "A number of possible and more-or-less equally effective modes of procedure are at the disposal of one whose chosen goal is to remove the hide from the mortal remains of a cat." Sometimes this old saying is alternatively expressed as, "Numerous possible options may be successfully employed by one who desires to accomplish the removal of the epidermal organ from a feline cadaver," thus proving that there's more than one way to skin a cat!

One way to become a raw foodist is to just go ahead and do it. For instance, one friend once told me about a man who read about raw foodism and decided right then and there that he was going to do it, and not only himself but his whole family was going to do it. So he drove to the farmers' market, loaded up the car with fruit and drove home. When he got home the kids looked at all the peaches and watermelons and bananas in the car and said, "Oh boy, dessert!" And the man answered, "Yep, kids, from now on it's all dessert!"

Some people perfer to go into it more slowly and gradually, of course, like someone who wants to go into the pool at the shallow end and test the water every inch of the way to make sure that there are no sharks of that the water is not going to suddenly turn boiling hot or something. Many transition diet plans have been developed for people who prefer this approach. For instance, Arnold Ehret developed the plan of first replacing your mucus-forming foods with mucus-lean foods. (i.e. baked potato, whole grain crakers or dry whole-grain toast, baked sweet potato, and fish) and then gradually replacing those more and more with totally mucusless foods, and thus gradually working your way towards the ideal of raw fruit, vegetable and nut diet.
Viktoras Kulvinskas in "Survival into the 21st Century" has much good information on transition diets, as does also "Fit for Life" by Harvey and Marilyn Diamond.

I'll give you a transition diet plan here also. Some people like to have such plans. Many people are a little afraid to try to figure out what to do all on their own. They feel safer if someone else tells them what they should do. That way they feel they are under the guidance of their own incompetent selves. Actually it's plenty OK to experiment and work things out on your own, find what feels good for you, in this matter of natural raw food diet. In the line of raw foods, pretty much anything you eat is going to be safer than a doughnut or a hamburger. If you do make a mistake, the worst that can happen is that you get a little indigestion from a poor combination. It's hardly possible to become malnourished on a raw food diet, even if it doesn't contain a huge variety of foods. I once lived for 56 days straight on just juicy fruits, no bananas or avocadoes or vegetables. I never felt stronger in my life. The diseases of malnutrition, like scurvy and beri-beri and so forth, are quickly relieved with fresh fruits and vegetables. So I think the best thing is to experiment and eat what you like, in the quanities that feel good to you, just keeping in mind a few simple principles, i.e.:

1. Only fruit in the early morning, or no breakfast at all.
2. Don't combine fruits with vegetables or seeds at the same meal.
3. Don't combine high protein foods with starchy foods.
4. You'll feel a lot better if you don't eat late at night, less than three hours before sleeping. Go to bed hungry, and you'll feel more alert when you wake up.
5. Chew your food to a cream or fine mush.
blantantly added by wizdom

For people that REALLY want someone to tell them just what to do, John Tobe wrote a raw food diet plan that gave a complete scedule of recipes for every meal, 365 days a year.

Now then, here is my transition diet plan. Remember I am not an expert or authority and I do not clailm my plan is the best plan. It is, however, a practical and workable plan which will improve the health of a person who follows it. This plan is meant to be applied at intervals of three months; that is, do step one immediately, step two in three months, step three, three months after that, and so on.

1. Give up white sugar, white flour, white rice and any other polished grains, and give up all the carbonated soft drinks.
2. Give up any daily drinking of alcohol. Cut it down to once a week or less. Preferably none. Quit trying to drown your problems in drinking, you jerk! The world needs sober wokers to spread the truth and build a better way of life. You don't help anybody by lying around like a stupid drunken pig making a fool of yourself. And if you're smarter than me, you'll quit any coffee or tea drinking at this point too.
3. Give up cooked red meats, i.e. cattle, pig, sheep, horse, goat, deer, rabbit, armadillo, moose, etc.
4. Give up cooked eggs and all pasteurized or cooked dairy products.
5. Give up cooked white meat, i.e. fish, chicken, turkey, duck, pigeon, squid, snail, oyster, snake, frog, iguana, octopus, etc.
6. Give up cooked grains, i.e. wheat, oats, corn, millet, etc.
7. Give up cooked beans, and roasted nuts.
8. Give up cooked potatoes
9. Give up all cooked vegetables.
10. Don't even stew your prunes or bake bananas anymore.

This is the 30th month, it's taken you 2 1/2 long, tortuous, excruciating years of blood, toil, tears, sweat, pain and sorrow, but you've finally done it! You're a real raw food eater! Congratulations! Mother Earth welcomes you back into the fold of her normal, sane, sensible creatures!

Posted by: Raw4ever ()
Date: December 22, 2014 10:39AM

Well isn't this an interesting topic! How to become a rawfooder.

I feel as you do La_Veronique that you could just go cold turkey and get the job done. That is how I have done it and for me, that works.

I first went raw in 1997 and since then, I have influenced several people, probably around 15 or so, to give it a try. They have met with varying degrees of success. Of all of them, only two lasted three months or longer. Most only last a few days to a few weeks. This can be attributed to several factors but, in essence, they weren't prepared mentally for what was about to happen.

Physically, when you first go raw, there are hills and valleys as your body detoxes and begins to rebuild. That doesn't always feel so great; it can be unexpected and discouraging to find out that you're actually feeling worse. Since going raw seems a bit out there, they wonder if this is a bad way to eat, if they are getting weaker, not getting enough nourishment, etc. Of course, nothing could be further from the truth but they lack knowledge and experience and don't know quite what they are into.

Another major obstacle they face is the pressures from family and friends who think this is a ludicrous idea that's bound to eventually make someone very ill and they begin their campaign to bring their "deluded" loved one back to the standard American trough of devitalized, dead food. Eventually, the raw food neophyte succumbs due to a lack of knowledge and increased fear that they may be doing something terribly wrong.

I remember when I first went 100% raw, I would read The Mucousless Diet Healing System whenever I began to doubt. I couldn't understand why I felt so badly at times when what I was doing I was sure was the right thing to do. Reading Ehret gave me the assurance that nothing unusual was taking place and what was happening was what was suppose to be happening and that ultimately, I would reach the pinnacle of health. And I did.

So, when people inquire with much enthusiasm about what it is I do and my apparent unusual health while saying they want to do it too, I first tell them it is more about what you don't eat than what you do. I know that it is more than that, that it has everything to do with what you do eat but I believe that at their stage, they need first to think about what they need to completely exclude from their diet, regardless of anything else, ergo Joe Alexander's list of don'ts. It's more relevant to the newbie than one might think.

So no more fast food, no more cakes, cookies, candies, pies, etc., etc. Interestingly enough, they don't need a lot of education on what constitutes useless junk food. They tend to know quite well. This is something they can relate to and usually express some guilt that they know better but don't do it. Oh how much better off we would all be if we would just do the things we know to be good.

Then I suggest that in addition to that, they should eat about 70% raw, living food. I tell them that everyone knows that health guides suggest eating five to ten fresh fruits and vegetables a day, and really who does that, so just start doing that and things will begin to improve. Make those things your first choices and then after you've met those requirements for the day, maybe you can have some of the filler food so many people are addicted to, while keeping in mind that the ultimate goal is 100% living food. And also keeping in mind that you no longer eat any of the devitalized junk food that you've left behind.

Regarding the topic of meat, I bait their curiosity. When they ask me why I don't eat meat, I tell them they don't really want to know. Then I say something like, "your first clue is it's dead"! I share all the horrors associated with meat from slaughterhouses to hormones, to cancerous tumors, etc. and say if you really think you can't break free, limit it to a small portion once or twice a week.

Do I really think this is the best thing for them to do? No, not really but it's a great step in the right direction.

I really think they should go cold turkey. Suck it up and suffer through the rough bumps because what's coming down the road will be more than worth the inconveniences but I've also learned that few people have the resolve to actually stick with things when they get difficult and so I try to gently lead them into better waters.

Date: December 24, 2014 01:50AM

raw4eva
"your first clue is it's dead"!

TRUE! Vultures eat dead things.

John Rose haha u know!
The greatest value of the raw food diet is its transformative value. To a great extent, when you take up the raw food diet, you become a new and different and better person. You don't just stay the same old person, only a little healthier. You become, to a great extent, a new being with new interests, a new philosophy and outlook on life, new goals and desires./i]

Only a true raw foodist knows this!

Date: December 28, 2014 06:05AM

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: December 30, 2014 02:00AM

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: January 16, 2015 07:59PM

"Give up...white rice and any other polished grain..." was given as part of advice while making a transition.

However, if you want to have a bit of cooked food forever, then I'd advise against that.

100% whole grains are harder to digest (and require much chewing, which not everyone is inclined to do). For people not overloaded with money, cooking brown rice for 45 minutes on an electric stove would add to your expenses.

Brown rice contains phytates, which bind to vitamins and minerals and prevent them from being absorbed. (See more at: [ancestral-nutrition.com])

Rice, white or brown, is not a good source of nutrients in any event. It IS tasty, gives you energy and is a good all-purpose base for dishes that do contain plenty of nutrients.

I am not 100% raw and am glad I switched to white rice (esp. basmati). The traditional people of Japan knew what they were doing when they had their brown rice crops refined to a greater or lesser degree.

Any opinions? P.S. I most certainly have not gone paleo just because the link above is from a paleo-eating site. (Ugh.)

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 16, 2015 08:27PM

Nay to white rice.

Phytic acid is an antioxidant. Those paleo people are full of it.

If you are going to eat grains, eat them whole.

[en.wikipedia.org]
"Historically, beriberi has been endemic in regions dependent on what is variously referred to as polished, white, or de-husked rice. This type of rice has its husk removed in order to extend its shelf life, but also has the unintended side-effect of removing the primary source of thiamine"

Date: January 16, 2015 08:54PM

When traditional peoples did something for a long time, it was because they saw benefits. They may not have had science in the sense we do now, but somehow they figured out that processing certain foods in certain ways resulted in good health for them. I trust tradition in these matters; the Japanese were nobody's fools. How could a society eating so much refined rice produce all those warriors with such amazing monumental strength?

Another example is Mexicans long ago deciding to treat their dry corn with lime. (Calcium sulfate, I think.) And they still do this. No science! But it turns out that this treatment was crucial in making the corn's nutrients digestible and available to their bodies: by reducing phytic acid + making Vitamin B3 usable.

Phytic acid as I understand it is a beneficial type of antioxidant in people who have a buildup of excess mineral (from too much meat, probably). For the rest of us, we better be careful.

Date: January 16, 2015 09:15PM

nay to white rice as well

Date: January 16, 2015 10:28PM

<<<When traditional peoples did something for a long time, it was because they saw benefits.>>>

I went to a Christmas party about a decade ago when one of my friends was going to an Acupuncture College and the #2 man from China in Health was there and I asked him why they were eating white rice instead of brown rice and he said that white rice is a sign of prosperity because long ago only royalty could afford to eat white rice, but now, everyone could afford to eat white rice.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 17, 2015 01:14AM

Nice to see you again Horsea!

On the rice question, I will agree with arugula. Brown rice is actually traditional to Japan and other Asian cultures. Modern means for polishing brown rice to pearly white has only occurred within the last couple of centuries. White rice proved to be convenient for Europeans who transported rice from Asia to Europe on slow-moving ships. This is because brown rice tended to mold during the journey, while white rice can be stored longer. My understanding is that John Rose is correct that eventually, white rice became the coveted food for the rich, and brown rice was shunned.

Arugula is also correct about the link between white rice and beriberi. The risk is most pronounced where the overall diet is limited. The first vitamin discovered - vitamin B1 (thiamine) - was found due to its presence in brown rice but absence in white, and this deficiency caused the prevalence of beriberi in the Philippines at that time.

The lady at ancestral-nutrition.com is wrong when she says, "While brown rice is slightly higher on the vitamin and mineral front, you have to consider that it is loaded with phytates, meaning these vitamins and minerals are not being absorbed."

If she were correct, beriberi could not be cured by switching from white rice to brown.

The US government requires that a powdered thiamine supplement must be added to white rice. They recommend to avoid washing white rice, because the thiamine supplement will wash out. Of course, the supplemented thiamine will not replace important fiber removed from the brown rice to make it white.

Despite paleo website claims, the lady at ancestral-nutrition.com also appears to be incorrect regarding her assertion that fiber can cause leaky gut. In fact sufficient fiber helps to prevent and treat leaky gut. According to [www.theleakyguthelp.com]:

"Eat your fruits and vegetables because they contain fiber. Fiber promotes a healthy bowel movement in your digestive tract. If you let waste matters linger inside your body for a long time, the harmful toxins and bacteria can make their way to the different areas of your body and you don’t want that. You should get rid of waste as soon as possible and fiber will help you with that. Some good examples of fibrous foods are nuts, whole grains, fruits and vegetables."

And according to Dr. Weil, "Most of us consume enough minerals in common foods to more than make up for the small amounts of these micronutrients that might be tied up by phytates...In laboratory research, phytates have helped normalize cell growth and stopped the proliferation of cancer cells. They also may help prevent cardiovascular disease and lower a food's glycemic load."

[www.drweil.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2015 01:26AM by suncloud.

Date: January 17, 2015 02:45AM

Thanks, suncloud!

If she were correct, beriberi could not be cured by switching from white rice to brown.

It was discovered that the brown rice cured beriberi because it had partly fermented prior to refrigeration and modern storage practices; when rice (and certain other grains that were studied in this way) are fermented, their thiamine content is rather considerably increased. Also, there are different forms of fermentation: yeast and lactobacilli, each having a different effect.

I am not sure I agree with the Dr. who said that "small" amounts of nutrients are bound up by phytates. Over the years, I've read a fair handful of scientific research reports which contradict that statement. However, to each his own.

Now, about phytates stopping the proliferation of cancer cells: that is good if you have cancer. But how do phytates function in someone who doesn't have cancer? What if a person's mineral status is borderline or deficient?

Why would the weston price or paleo people make this stuff up? They must have gotten their ideas from (a) traditional practices and (b) modern research. I've no particular dog in this fight; we can all eat as we wish. Trying to get to the bottom of things.

Thanks for replying to my comments.

Date: January 17, 2015 02:52AM

I went to a Christmas party about a decade ago when one of my friends was going to an Acupuncture College and the #2 man from China in Health was there and I asked him why they were eating white rice instead of brown rice and he said that white rice is a sign of prosperity because long ago only royalty could afford to eat white rice, but now, everyone could afford to eat white rice.

Of course only the upper crust could afford white rice: it costs money to process the brown rice to a greater or lesser degree (you could tell the miller how much bran you wanted removed).

This does not mean that royalty was consuming white rice for frivolous reasons in the first place.

What do you think of the information about brown rice fermenting in storage and thus becoming more healthful at least where thiamine content is concerned? Personally, I would rather consume fermented brown rather than white rice, but I don't know how to properly ferment it.

Posted by: Living Food ()
Date: January 17, 2015 05:41AM

It seems like the logical thing to do in such a situation would be to just ferment the brown rice. You would then get the best of both worlds - plus a little more because of the extras goodies from consuming fermented foods.

Personally, I would rather consume fermented brown rather than white rice, but I don't know how to properly ferment it.

There are many different ways to ferment things. You could do anything from just soaking it in warm water for a number of hours to blending/mashing it up, adding probiotics, and then letting it sit for a number of hours. You could inoculate the soak water, or replace the probiotics, with rejuvelac, brine from lactofermented vegetables, a little bit of fermented seed/nut yogurt, etc. The best thing is to try a variety of methods and see what works best for you.

I remember when I used to eat cooked quinoa I would soak it in water with a little ACV and fermented brine added for up to three days before cooking (usually not that long), and I would do the same thing for lentils. I never fermented them after cooking because I was afraid they would go bad. When I fermented them the quinoa had a tangy taste to it and the lentils tasted quite different too.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: January 17, 2015 06:23AM

Horsea:
Personally, I would rather consume fermented brown rather than white rice, but I don't know how to properly ferment it.

Tai:
I have had fermented brown rice a couple of ways. I have eaten wild rice fermented with a regular lactobacillus probiotic and it was safe to eat raw. I have also tried amazake: fermented brown rice porridge, and it is sweeter and more delicious than actual rice. But when I tried eating raw brown rice amazake (fermented with Koji), I started to feel sick, like the culture was infecting me after a small amount. I had to megadose with herbs and citrus to knock it out before it took root. I was forced to bring the amazake to a boil for one minute to kill the koji or whatever else was hidden or contaminated in it.

I think that Koji is killed at around 140-150 degrees or less, so it's not really necessary to boil it, especially if you are concerned with Thiamin. I believe Thiamin is affected at greater than 212 degrees farenheit (greater than boiling water temp). I know asians eat koji raw in some fermented foods, but perhaps my koji was contaminated.

I don't crave rice or grains, although I eat them occasionally. But if I had to rely on brown rice for calories, I would probably make more amazake. (Note: I soak the rice overnight to "sprout" it and then ferment it and then blend it to a liquid before heating.) There are many videos on youtube showing how to make amazake using koji.

Date: January 17, 2015 09:06AM

Horsea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, suncloud!

You're welcome Horsea. I remember learning a lot from you in the past!

> It was discovered that the brown rice cured
> beriberi because it had partly fermented prior to
> refrigeration and modern storage practices; when
> rice (and certain other grains that were studied
> in this way) are fermented, their thiamine content
> is rather considerably increased. >

Regardless of whether or not thiamine content increases during fermentation, unfermented brown rice is still many times higher in thiamine than white rice.

The following links include charts listing vitamin and mineral content in both long grain brown rice and long grain white rice (Basmati for example is a long grain rice. White basmati is the polished form of brown basmati). Scroll down the pages to see the vitamin chart in each link.

Brown rice: [nutritiondata.self.com]

White rice: [nutritiondata.self.com]

Notice that a cup of brown rice supplies 0.2 mg of thiamin (thiamine), or 12% of DV (Actual quantity according to USDA database is 0.187 mg). A cup of white rice rounds out to 0.0 mg of thiamin, or 2% of DV (Actual quantity according to USDA database is 0.02 mg).

You can also use those charts to compare the other vitamins for each type of rice, and then scroll down further to compare mineral content. There's a pretty huge difference - much more vitamins/minerals in the brown rice. Phytates just simply don't bind so much nutrients that the white rice would end up supplying more vitamins and minerals than the brown rice. If this were the case, our white rice would not require the addition of powdered supplements.

> Now, about phytates stopping the proliferation of
> cancer cells: that is good if you have cancer.

It's probably also helpful for preventing cancer.

> But how do phytates function in someone who
> doesn't have cancer? What if a person's mineral
> status is borderline or deficient?

Then they'd do better with the brown rice than the white (Please see further information below on the discovery of thiamine).

> Why would the weston price or paleo people make
> this stuff up? They must have gotten their ideas
> from (a) traditional practices and (b) modern
> research.

I think their resources can't be assumed. Weston Price et al are people, and people often get their information from inaccurate sources and then repeat the inaccurate information. I give them the benefit of the doubt that they didn't make it up. Their information is just simply incorrect.

Here's a New York Times article that cites the discovery of thiamine (B1). Note that there's nothing about brown rice fermentation: [www.nytimes.com]

And here's a much more detailed account of this famous discovery from the "Official Website of the Nobel Prize". Again, no mention of fermentation having anything to do with preventing beriberi.

[www.nobelprize.org]

(Correction to my earlier post. The studies came from Java, not the Philippines.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2015 09:10AM by suncloud.

Date: January 17, 2015 09:30AM

Horsea Wrote:
> Personally, I would rather consume
> fermented brown rather than white rice, but I
> don't know how to properly ferment it.

Fermented rice is a special case, and no rice is recommended to be fermented unless it is first sprouted, ground up into a powder and then fermented. The problem with fermenting grain rice is that the fermentation largely does not work due to the hardness of the grains keeping the ferment from having near it's full effect (the ferment won't absorb well into rice grain). I have a study on fermented rice somewhere, and it is highly interesting.

Raw fooders can do much better than to consume rice. Fermented sprouted rice is a good treat, but it's not really needed.

Date: January 17, 2015 09:46AM

Agree with Sproutarian Man.

One addition to the above, from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (AJCN):

"It is clear that a major cause of thiamine deficiency in many parts of the world is a staple diet of milled or polished grains, despite >50 y of accumulated evidence showing that such a diet leads to serious thiamine malnutrition...McGready et al suggest fortification of refugee rice or a return to traditional brown rice. "

[ajcn.nutrition.org]

I was also just reading some articles from paleo bloggers. These bloggers make totally inaccurate claims about phytates, including claims to the effect that phytates prevent the absorption of nearly all vitamins and minerals from brown rice. They don't provide any references for their claims at all. Basically, they're just quoting each other.

For example, [www.marksdailyapple.com]

Mark says, "Phytate, or phytin in rice, binds to minerals, rendering them largely useless to any animal that consumes it. Well, rats can break through the phytate and get at the minerals fairly well, but they evolved that ability – we did not."

There's no reference at all for that completely inaccurate statement. The statement is clearly refuted by the article above from AJCN.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2015 09:48AM by suncloud.

Date: January 17, 2015 10:11AM

suncloud Wrote:
> Agree with Sproutarian Man.
>
> One addition to the above, from the American
> Journal of Clinical Nutrition (AJCN):
>
> "It is clear that a major cause of thiamine
> deficiency in many parts of the world is a staple
> diet of milled or polished grains, despite >50 y
> of accumulated evidence showing that such a diet
> leads to serious thiamine malnutrition...McGready
> et al suggest fortification of refugee rice or a
> return to traditional brown rice. "
>
> [ajcn.nutrition.org]
>
> I was also just reading some articles from paleo
> bloggers. These bloggers make totally inaccurate
> claims about phytates, including claims to the
> effect that phytates prevent the absorption of
> nearly all vitamins and minerals from brown rice.
> They don't provide any references for their claims
> at all. Basically, they're just quoting each
> other.
>
> For example,
> [www.marksdailyapple.com]#
> axzz3P4Ks3d9S
>
> Mark says, "Phytate, or phytin in rice, binds to
> minerals, rendering them largely useless to any
> animal that consumes it. Well, rats can break
> through the phytate and get at the minerals fairly
> well, but they evolved that ability – we did
> not."
>
> There's no reference at all for that completely
> inaccurate statement. The statement is clearly
> refuted by the article above from AJCN.

Yes, Mark is notorious for his unfounded and inaccurate claims. Here is a classic which really shows him up for the disinfo agent he is. When they sink to the lowest levels of behaviour it is time to write them off because they are either highly ignorant or blatantly misinforming people. Best not to go down the paleo road of offering a poor lifestyle that encourages murder and a movement full of misleading statements.

The vegan world must be careful also because we have damaged our credibility also, so we must smarten up and be well researched and know more about what we are talking about because we have the better product.

The Paleo world is on a road to no-where, and their disinfo is a double negative for them that will hopefully seal their fate, but vegans have a good lifestyle to offer so we must promote it properly and with integrity and be shining examples of humans at their finest.

[www.marksdailyapple.com]

Some classic quotes from Mark:

chia is high in Omega 3 fatty acids – ALA in particular. But just like I do with flax, I think the potential benefits of ALA in the diet are vastly overblown. The “purpose” of ALA consumption is to convert it into DHA/EPA, but humans simply don’t have the hardware to make the conversion worthwhile

I support the consumption of seeds in general, but I also have to stress moderation because of the PUFA content. It’s usually not a big deal, especially because shelling the seeds usually slows down the eating, but when people start getting into sunflower seed butter the amount of PUFA being ingested can get very high very quickly. Consider yourself warned

All of the Paleo people l have read make extremely dubious claims and rarely back up anything with good studies to support what they say. Often they are outright wrong in what they say.

Date: January 17, 2015 12:28PM

Horsea Wrote:
> I went to a Christmas party about a decade ago
> when one of my friends was going to an Acupuncture
> College and the #2 man from China in Health was
> there and I asked him why they were eating white
> rice instead of brown rice and he said that white
> rice is a sign of prosperity because long ago only
> royalty could afford to eat white rice, but now,
> everyone could afford to eat white rice.
>
> Of course only the upper crust could afford white
> rice: it costs money to process the brown rice to
> a greater or lesser degree (you could tell the
> miller how much bran you wanted removed).
>
> This does not mean that royalty was consuming
> white rice for frivolous reasons in the first
> place.

What the guy at the Christmas party said was the story that has come down through and to the masses and was missing the real substance of the historical reason for eating white rice.

In truth the white rice the rich ate (all the way back to 2,000 years ago in the Persian Empire and India) was not merely more expensive and coveted because the husk and bran was removed but because the white rice was processed in a much more expensive way. The expensive white rice was parboiled which required talented preparers and steam pressure.

Date: January 17, 2015 12:49PM

suncloud Wrote:

>
> Regardless of whether or not thiamine content
> increases during fermentation, unfermented brown
> rice is still many times higher in thiamine than
> white rice.

But unenriched parboiled white rice has over twice the thiamine in it that brown rice has.

[nutritiondata.self.com]

The parboiling process transfers a lot of nutrients from the bran to the endosperm as it pre gelatinizes the starch. That accounts for parboiled rice's slight yellowish tint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2015 12:51PM by SueZ.

Date: January 17, 2015 12:52PM

SueZ Wrote:
> suncloud Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
>
> >
> > Regardless of whether or not thiamine content
> > increases during fermentation, unfermented
> brown
> > rice is still many times higher in thiamine
> than
> > white rice.
>
>
> But unenriched parboiled white rice has over twice
> the thiamine in it that brown rice has.
>
> [nutritiondata.self.com]-
> and-pasta/5814/2
>
>
> The parboiling process transfers a lot of
> nutrients from the bran to the endosperm as it pre
> gelatinizes the starch. That accounts for
> parboiled rice's slight yellowish tint, too.

Date: January 17, 2015 02:26PM

“Dr. Robert Bell hit the nail on the head when he said, ‘Man is the only creature upon this earth who spoils his food before he eats it.’ Man’s slow degeneration to the present inferno of diseases started with the discovery of fire. Since then man seems to have been using his creative imagination and unlimited inventiveness for devising newer and newer means of ruining the nutritional value of his food.” Dr. Paavo Airola, “Are You Confused,” p. 47

Date: January 17, 2015 03:00PM

Dr. Paavo Airola?

[en.wikipedia.org]

"Dr. Paavo Airola died at age 64 of a stroke, which was the result of complications from injuries sustained during his emigration from Finland to Canada after World War II."

Right. That's just sooo believable.

I know one person who doesn't write such Wikipedia nonsense. Kudos to KFCA.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables