Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Sprouted Legumes in the "optimal raw food diet": the good and not-so-good
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 08, 2015 07:39PM

Here's an interesting PowerPoint from Brenda Davis, RD that discusses sprouted legumes in a raw food diet (see slides 7 - 12).

[www.brendadavisrd.com]

According to Davis, some raw legumes are high in hemagglutins and trypsin inhibitors - even when sprouted - and can cause abdominal distress. These should be avoided. However, sprouted lentils and mung beans are recommended.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sprouted Legumes in the "optimal raw food diet": the good and not-so-good
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 08, 2015 08:16PM

the side effects of low lysine diets (no beans) are:

hair loss
fatigue (anemia)
mood changes
skin problems (collagen)

A quick google link: [www.livestrong.com]

PS: hemp protein is low in lysine and not a good source

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: January 08, 2015 08:32PM

Chlorella and spirulina are great sources of lysine (they're both 60% protein by weight).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2015 08:33PM by jtprindl.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: January 08, 2015 08:41PM

Yes, I agree with all of this. I never could stay 100% raw for longer than a couple of weeks before I started craving legumes. I was vegan for years before I tried going all raw.
I shared a story of an "all raw" vegan mom who was caught eating cooked legume soup at a krishna restaurant with her "all raw" toddler. SHe admitted she craved the soup during her pregnancy.
A lot of people like to trash soy, but I read the history of tempeh in Indonesia and it really helped the growth of children due its amino acid profile.

Panchito wrote:
PS: hemp protein is low in lysine and not a good source

Tai:
Thank for that tip. You will see, though, that a lot of body builders are using hemp protein. People can eat other food to complement missing amino acids.

Date: January 08, 2015 08:48PM

Thanks Panchito for posting the RED FLAG on Hemp Seed as a complete protein source!

I had read previously that Hemp Seed is complete, but there appear to be some differing opinions on this.

These websites say Hemp Seed is NOT a complete protein:
[www.livestrong.com]
[www.shape.com]

These websites say Hemp Seed IS a complete protein (They are selling it):
[www.purehealingfoods.com]
[www.hempseed.ca]
[www.bobsredmill.com]
[navitasnaturals.com]

It's worth noting that most reliable nutrient data is included in the USDA database, and the USDA data for hemp seed is presently incomplete (for whatever reason).

Date: January 08, 2015 09:02PM

Tai Wrote:
> Panchito wrote:
> PS: hemp protein is low in lysine and not a good
> source
>
> Tai:
> Thank for that tip. You will see, though, that a
> lot of body builders are using hemp protein.
> People can eat other food to complement missing
> amino acids.

Yes, I agree.

Date: January 08, 2015 09:55PM

suncloud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> According to Davis, some raw legumes are high in
> hemagglutins and trypsin inhibitors - even when
> sprouted - and can cause abdominal distress.
> These should be avoided. However, sprouted
> lentils and mung beans are recommended.

There are things we can do to chelate these hemagglutins so they cause no harm to the body such as using the sulfated polysachharide sugars from brown seaweeds and fenugreek to carry them out of the body. Sprouting lentils reduces them about 85% (from memory), and the chelating techniques will take care of the rest. The hemagglutins are really bad news because they lodge in the intestines and basically lock onto various vauable nutrients making them non absorbable so you can become deficient in numerous nutrients very easily, + they also mess up the good bacteria in the intestines, cause pancrease enlargement and a whole host of horrible things. Get the diet right by mixing certain foods togeather and ingest probiotic foods and the legumes don't become a problem. Still, best to stick with mainly mung and lentils and sometimes adzuki.

I liked the point they made on high fat fruit diets. A disaster waiting to happen imo. Doug Graham was supposed to have said that one raw N.H person needed open heart surgery through eating high fat, and it wouldn't suprise me if they were only eating nuts and fruit.

The protein in non sprouted chia is also very poorly available (24% on average), so always need to sprout. Even soaked seeds like sunflower have protein inhibitors and various toxins like cyanide, so always sprout them and keep probiotic bacteria topped up. Pumpkin seeds need to be eaten more sparingly. Sprouting sesame is crucial too in order to reduce alkaloids and aflatoxins.

I spent an entire year studying anti nutrients and have taken notes on thousands of pages of studies on the dark side of grains and legumes, so l am well aware of the problems associated with them. They key is to consume a brown seaweed, have fenugreek, consume some probiotic food and to sprout them, and not to overdo the legumes unless you have them with a fermented sprouted grain. If you don't do these things you will get gas and bloating and really mess yourself up. We can tame the savage beast within...l have had a lot of raw legumes in my time and they digest smoothly, but it was not always like that. When l first went raw my main food was sprouted legumes and grains...shocking bloating and gas until l developed strategy to tame the savage beast.

You really want to limit the nut consumption and eat more sprouted seeds. Many reasons why. When you start eating lots of nuts you can run into problems. Nuts are very healthy foods, but they are also very unbalanced foods which can tip things out of kilter.

Strategy straegy strategy, it's always about strategy.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2015 10:08PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: January 08, 2015 10:24PM

Best land source of zinc = fermented poppy seed sprouts
Best land source of iron = fenugreek sprout juice

Chia sprouts are also a very high iron source.

Oxalic acid is also a funny old thing. Sometimes spinach will by high in oxalate and other times it will be low. It is unpredictable. It can bind with iron and calcium, so always good to chew food well and keep probiotic bacteria built up and to choose one's food wisely.

The presentation on acid v's alkaline foods is really messed up thinking. The way they measure acid foods is really messed up because not all the acids in various foods are measured, so the concept of acid foods is really misleading. You will look at some acid charts and some scientists also include meat as alkaline and some vegetables as acid. You also read about hunter gather people eating large amounts of meat and never showing the diseases of these `so called' acid diets. It's all silly nonsense. Besides, the acid/alkaline idea goes against `real' science and the working of the body, but it can apply in cases of renal and lung damage and when one consistently has low potassium and high salt which can contribute to renal damage in modern day diets. Also, look at all the vegans who cook all their food and show no signs of acidity.

The flash point player presentation is a great intro to raw foods and what we need to think about.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2015 10:31PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: tezcal ()
Date: January 09, 2015 01:22AM

great information all around, thanks everyone.

TSM, how do you recommend consuming fenugreek? apart from sprout juice, as i currently don't have a juicer at home.

also, do you recommend a brown seaweed extract, or eating wakame?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2015 01:25AM by tezcal.

Date: January 09, 2015 01:38AM

tezcal Wrote:
> great information all around, thanks everyone.
>
>
> TSM, how do you recommend consuming fenugreek?
> apart from sprout juice, as i currently don't have
> a juicer at home.

Consume it as a salad with sprouted legumes or grains, or have a big green smoothy with heaps of fenugreek when or before having sprouted legumes/grains. Add in other foods to make it taste better if you wish.

or

consume fenugreek before having nut meals, or blend nuts with fenugreek.

or blend fenugreek with fruits if need be.

> also, do you recommend a brown seaweed extract, or
> eating wakame?

Have a powdered kelp drink before eating legumes, or even better, eat wakame before legumes/grains.

A brown seaweed extract may be o.k, but not sure.

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 09, 2015 01:58AM

suncloud Wrote:
> Here's an interesting PowerPoint from Brenda
> Davis, RD that discusses sprouted legumes in a raw
> food diet (see slides 7 - 12).
>
> [www.brendadavisrd.com]
> /Designing_an_Optimal_Raw_Diet/index.html
>
> According to Davis, some raw legumes are high in
> hemagglutins and trypsin inhibitors - even when
> sprouted - and can cause abdominal distress.
> These should be avoided. However, sprouted
> lentils and mung beans are recommended.

"A related disease has been identified and named osteolathyrism, because it affects the bones and connecting tissues, instead of the nervous system. It is a skeletal disorder, caused by the toxin beta-aminopropionitrile (BAPN), and characterized by hernias, aortic dissection, exostoses, and kyphoscoliosis and other skeletal deformities, apparently as the result of defective aging of collagen tissue. The cause of this disease is attributed to beta-aminopropionitrile, which inhibits the copper-containing enzyme lysyl oxidase, responsible for cross-linking procollagen and proelastin. BAPN is also a metabolic product of a compound present in sprouts of grasspea, pea and lentils.[13] A disorder that is clinically similar is konzo."

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 09, 2015 03:18AM

lysine will help absorb more calcium (strong bones), prevent cavities (pretty smile), make enzymes, etc. elastin and collagen come from lysine.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

We determined the free-amino acid content of stimulated parotid (ductal) saliva from two groups of adult subjects whose caries experiences were markedly different. The levels of free arginine and free lysine in the parotid saliva of caries-free adults were significantly higher than those found in the parotid saliva of individuals with a history of dental decay. There was no correlation, however, between the levels of these amino acids and the DMFS score within the caries-susceptible groups. Microbial catabolism of dibasic amino acids contributes to the neutralization of plaque acids and may partially account for the higher resting plaque pH observed in caries-free subjects. Alternatively, the elevations observed in free levels of arginine and lysine may reflect a systemic alteration in amino acid metabolism which is common to the caries-free group of subjects.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Results suggest that the potential therapeutic effect of Lys and Arg on bone could be related, at least in part, to an improvement of NO production and type I collagen synthesis by osteoblasts both in normal and in osteopenic bone. In osteopenic bone-derived osteoblasts this synthetic phase is preceded by an initial increase of cell proliferation

[www.newhealthguide.org]

L-lysine Benefits

Cholesterol Management.

In the liver, l-lysine converts to carnitine which helps your body burn fat. Because of this fat-burning ability, studies have shown that lysine in the diet may result in decreased levels of LDL (or bad) cholesterol.

Bone Health.

Everyone knows that calcium is critical for strong bones. L-lysine helps the body to absorb the calcium and decreases the excretion of calcium. Some studies also show that l-lysine may increase the activity of bone and collagen building cells. Decreasing the loss of calcium and increasing bone-building activity may slow the bone loss that happens with age.

Herpes Prevention.

L-lysine may act as an antiviral by blocking the production of the Herpes Simplex Virus. Studies suggest that following a diet rich in lysine (or taking a lysine supplement), while not curing the virus, may prevent outbreaks of genital herpes and cold sores associated with the herpes virus. L-lysine may also help herpes sores heal faster.

Proper Body Growth.

L-lysine is one of the primary components of proteins. Therefore, it is critical for proper body growth particularly in children. Because it helps your body absorb calcium, l-lysine is also critical for growing bones and other tissues. Low levels of lysine may lead to failure to grow due to a protein deficiency.

Anxiety and Stress Reduction.

In 2004, the National Academy of Sciences reported that lysine supplements can reduce stress and anxiety in a population that consumed very low levels of l-lysine rich foods.

Shingle Relief.

Shingles is caused by the same virus that causes chicken pox in children. With shingles, the adult will experience a painful rash usually located on one side of the body along one of the major spinal nerves. While not a cure for shingles, l-lysine may help decrease the duration or intensity of the disease.

Pain Relief

Studies are being conducted to determine if l-lysine acts as an anti-inflammatory. If it does, you may be able to get pain relief from an adequate intake of this amino acid.

Heart Health.

Finally, l-lysine may be effective in decreasing some of the symptoms associated with angina. While the mechanism of action is not known, lysine in conjunction with vitamin C seems to have some effect.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: January 09, 2015 06:25AM

Legume X, seed Y, raw powder Z
Too complicated.
One guy lived on raw tomatoes and was ok.
Optimal health is simplicity.

Date: January 09, 2015 11:54AM

SueZ Wrote:
>... The cause of this disease is
> attributed to beta-aminopropionitrile, which
> inhibits the copper-containing enzyme lysyl
> oxidase, responsible for cross-linking procollagen
> and proelastin. BAPN is also a metabolic product
> of a compound present in sprouts of grasspea, pea
> and lentils.[13] A disorder that is clinically
> similar is konzo."
>
> [en.wikipedia.org]

Well, this was an unpleasant surprise! It seems though that osteolathyrism occurs in regions of famine, where people have a very limited diet of mostly only a legume called Lathyrus sativus (grass pea).

According to Wikipedia's summary of the effects of Lathyrus sativus, "Recent introspective rethinking on this legume highlights that only an excessive consumption of the legume for prolonged periods can be harmful".

[en.wikipedia.org]

Although the same toxic compound in Lathyrus sativus has been found in some species of lentil seedlings, there doesn't appear to be any association between consumption of lentil seedlings and the disease.

I don't think it's a concern, but I'd definitely be interested in any reports that it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2015 11:57AM by suncloud.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: January 09, 2015 02:44PM

Come on now, people. you do not need beans for sufficient lysine.

a simple diet of fruits and greens provides sufficient lysine.

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: January 09, 2015 03:03PM

fresh wrote:

<<<Come on now, people. you do not need beans for sufficient lysine.

a simple diet of fruits and greens provides sufficient lysine.>>>

Finally some sanity on this website!!!

Here's something for those who still think that there's nothing wrong with Polluting our Food with Fire to think about relative to Protein...

Raw Protein has TWICE the Biological Value of Cooked Protein.

Date: January 09, 2015 03:33PM

IMO, a raw vegan diet can, and should, taste most excellent. No need to choose between the bad and the ugly (the only real places available for categorizing raw sprouted legumes).

Raw organic Austrian Pepitas are high in lysine and can be a delicious treat or a fabulous recipe ingredient - as can other nuts and seeds. They are safer, more digestable, and taste way WAY better than raw sprouted legumes.

If you feel a dire need to eat legumes just cook them, for Pete's sake, so eating them can be an enjoyable untainted experience for you. Why torture yourself by eating them raw? Torturing yourself will not get you a ticket into heaven will it? I don't think so.

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: January 09, 2015 04:00PM

Austrian Pepitas are seeds, so why cook them?
What do you gain by killing the enzymes?
Oils in the diet, cooked seeds, someone may need a cleanse

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2015 04:08PM by CommonSenseRaw.

Date: January 09, 2015 04:28PM

CommonSenseRaw Wrote:
> Austrian Pepitas are seeds, so why cook them?

Don't put words in my mouth. I don't cook them nor did I say I do. I said RAW Austrian pepitas.

Your brain needs fat to function properly. But never mind.

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: January 09, 2015 04:37PM

OK.
Why cook legume, why eat legume, they are gas forming.
No need torturing yourself with gas

Date: January 09, 2015 04:42PM

suncloud Wrote:
> Thanks Panchito for posting the RED FLAG on Hemp
> Seed as a complete protein source!
>
> I had read previously that Hemp Seed is complete,
> but there appear to be some differing opinions on
> this.
>
> These websites say Hemp Seed is NOT a complete
> protein:
> [www.livestrong.com]-
> seeds-a-good-source-of-protein/
> [www.shape.com]-
> diet-doctor-hemp-seeds-hype
>
> These websites say Hemp Seed IS a complete protein
> (They are selling it):
> [www.purehealingfoods.com]
>
> [www.hempseed.ca]
> [www.bobsredmill.com]
> [navitasnaturals.com]
> n-Powder.html
>
> It's worth noting that most reliable nutrient data
> is included in the USDA database, and the USDA
> data for hemp seed is presently incomplete (for
> whatever reason).

Suncloud, as things stand now, aren't the hemp seeds available for sale (in the USA at least) mostly irradiated or otherwise rendered not viable? To me they taste abysmal and dead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2015 04:43PM by SueZ.

Date: January 09, 2015 05:18PM

CommonSenseRaw Wrote:
> OK.
> Why cook legume, why eat legume, they are gas
> forming.
> No need torturing yourself with gas

I'm talking to people who want to eat legumes. There are vegan "beano" enzyme caps for those who feel the need for that and are unable to digest beans properly without such help. Big deal.

Why don't you consume enough fat or oil to feed you brain enough so you can maybe think straight enough to figure out a way to not to eat cooked SAD cake without hurting your grandmother's feelings every time she bakes one - that you just must eat - for once in your life? That is if you ever want to maybe grow a set and work on your own stinking dietary problems instead of the constantly whining about other's.

Seriously, this is something most people can figure out how to accomplish but you are still meekly eating all those SAD cooked cakes she makes for every birthday that come's along while complaining about how other's eat. Many of those others could help you to get out of eating grandma's stinking SAD cooked cakes - and have tried to help you with that - but you never listen to anybody else's ideas.

It looks a lot like you just like to have an excuse to eat stuff way worse than beans because you like to eat SAD cooked birthday cakes while you're complaining.

Date: January 09, 2015 06:03PM

CommonSenseRaw wrote:

<<<OK.
Why cook legume, why eat legume, they are gas forming.
No need torturing yourself with gas>>>

SueZ aka ZeuS wrote:

<<<Another PREDICTABLE INSULT>>>

Lois wrote:

SueZ has insulted almost everyone on the board at one time or another this year -

A partial list of the victims -

UtopianLife
banana who
LaVeronique
Panchito
Fresh
NuNativis
TSM
CommonSenseRaw
RawPracticalist
Bryan

There are others.

That's practically everyone who posts on the board.

Defense Against the Psychopath
37:37 Minute Video
[www.youtube.com]

Part Three

The Psychopath’s Modus Operandi

One weakness Psychopaths have is that once one studies them and begins to understand them, they become predictable. While tactics vary from one to another, most Psychopaths follow a similar Strategy when Conning either an Individual or an Organization.

Their Strategy is as follows:

3) Divide and Conquer

Just as a Pride of Lions will seek to separate a targeted Wildebeest from the rest of the Herd, so Psychopaths seek to isolate their Victims from the rest of Humanity. They accomplish this through the tactic of Divide and Conquer.

In a Personal Relationship, the Psychopath will sabotage and undermine his or her Victim’s Relationships with Family and Friends. Exacerbated by the Negative Drama and Costs associated with the Victim their Friends and Family drop out of contact leaving the Victim without the Support and Guidance of their Social Group.

In an Organizational Setting, Psychopaths are the consummate Office Politicians. They seek to create Factions within the Organization and then, turn those Factions against each other to create as much Chaos as possible. Psychopaths swim in Chaos and the more the better. Secretly, they start to draw the Gullible, Weak Minded and fellow Psychopaths to their side while intensifying their efforts to have the most talented, honest and incorruptible members, ones that could have the Strength of Character to Expose them Expelled. They Poison the Environment in a variety of ways so that everyone Feels Irritable, Edgy and Unable to perform their jobs. Control of the Organization slips into the hands of the Source behind the Dysfunction - the Psychopath who created it all.
[www.youtube.com]

Once again, SueZ aka ZeuS is very PREDICTABLE!!!

Posted by: Lois ()
Date: January 09, 2015 06:25PM

(I don't like John Rose's constant attacks on SueZ as a shill, etc., but I had written this out previous to his posting his response - except the code thing wouldn't let me post it.)

Wow - acerbic eye popping smiley

Hadn't checked out the board in a while, read this and it shocks me sad smiley

Humiliating CommonSenseRaw.

I guess it could be my own sensibilities; I wonder if it affects others this way or if they enjoy it.

Date: January 09, 2015 07:44PM

Lois wrote:

<<<I don't like John Rose's constant attacks on SueZ as a shill>>>

You got it backwards Lois!

I am NOT attacking ZeuS, ZeuS is attacking us and I am only Naming the Control Drama!

Here is a post of mine where I explain How to Name the Control Drama:

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]
Re: If the Doors of Perception were Cleansed...
Posted by: John Rose
Date: September 25, 2012 01:40PM

Here’s another way to look as this Personality Test for those who have read The Celestine Prophecy and remember the section on Control Dramas.

The Intimidator are the Reds.

The Aloof are the Yellows.

The Poor Me are the Blues.

The Interrogator are the Greens.

Remember what James Redfield said about how to deal with these Control Dramas - he said that we should Name the Drama. Covert Manipulations for Energy cannot exist if you bring them into Consciousness - by pointing them out - they cease to be Covert.

Why are you trying to Intimidate me?

Why are you being so Aloof?

Why are you Playing Poor Me?

Why are you trying to Control Me [or this Website]?

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Now here is someone else who took my advice and is “Naming the Control Drama”:

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]
Re: Peer-Reviewed Studies?
Posted by: KidRaw
Date: October 01, 2012 03:50PM

Tamukha Wrote:
> I thought the Raw Brahs were gay, just didn't
> emphasize it--LOL! I guess I haven't watched
> enough of their vids. Although, you know what is
> said about homophobes . . .

So, Tamukha, why are you 'focused on it', in the above post of yours?

Pot meet Kettle - you just 'focused on it' first before I did, yet when I focus on it, you're reprimanding me for doing so.

And as a matter of fact, if you look at my first Reply in this thread, you will see that I was responding to veganreikiangel's post in which he was definitely discussing the Raw Brahs' homophobic/homosexual - ness. I even Quoted Him at the beginning of my Reply so everyone would know what I was 'focusing on'.

Here is Veganreikiangel's post that I quoted in my Reply --

Posted by: veganreikiangel ()
Date: September 30, 2012 05:48AM

As for the *rawbrahs*...they are extremeley homophobic making both homophobic and cissexist jokes constantly, and clearly display discomfort with queerness (and studies do show the more homophobic the person, the more likely they actually are gay themselves!)

And here is my post where I quote Veganreikiangel's focus on the Raw Brahs homo-ness so that everyone would know that is what I was Replying to (or focusing on, as you say) --

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: September 30, 2012 07:46PM

veganreikiangel Wrote:

> As for the *rawbrahs*...they are extremeley
> homophobic making both homophobic and cissexist
> jokes constantly, and clearly display discomfort
> with queerness (and studies do show the more
> homophobic the person, the more likely they
> actually are gay themselves!)

So let me get this straight, veganreikiangel - you and the dude from Eating Consciously are having a debate - but you both agree that the Raw Brahs are homophobic, and you also suspect them of being homosexuals.....

So that means the Raw Brahs can't win - either they're homophobic or they're homosexuals....

Just based on the fact that we have no information or facts that they are either one of those, I'm saying they're neither. But, hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a good smear.

Tamukha, Why are you Trying to Control Me?
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Date: January 09, 2015 09:06PM

I like sprouted lentils, and they don't give me gas at all. However, if they give gas to someone else, or if someone else doesn't like them, I would certainly not suggest or recommend that they eat them.

The door swings both ways. I would also reserve the right for myself and others to eat what they like and makes them feel good. I've been a raw vegan for a very long time - over 28 years. What works for me is a variety of foods. If this works for me, it might work for others.

Over the years, I've seen many, many people who try very hard but have never been able to consistently maintain raw vegan diets that severely restrict whole categories of raw vegan foods. And yet often, these are the very same people who are absolutely certain they know exactly what they and everyone else should eat.

For myself, I don't eat everything every day, Lord knows. But I allow myself to eat the raw vegan foods I like, when I like them, and that feel good. That's how I stay raw. If someone else's strategy works well for them, that's fine too. Just say so. No need to tell everyone else what to eat.

I'm not impressed by "gurus" or "teachers" with phony or zero credentials who tell everyone else what they should or should not eat. Brenda Davis RD is a long term vegan with real credentials and an established record for working very hard to save animals and preserve the environment by bringing veganism into the mainstream - for both healthy people and also for those who suffer from debilitating conditions. I'm very pleased that people like Brenda Davis RD are beginning to throw their hats into the raw food ring. There's nothing wrong with widening the scope of the discussion to include what these people have to say.

SueZ wrote:

"Suncloud, as things stand now, aren't the hemp seeds available for sale (in the USA at least) mostly irradiated or otherwise rendered not viable? To me they taste abysmal and dead."

I appreciate your question and comments SueZ (as always).

Most commercial hemp seed is labeled "organic".

In the U.S., it's illegal to label a product "organic" if it's been irradiated. I know this as the former treasurer for Hawaii Organic Farmers Association (HOFA) during the years when federal rules for "organic" were being propagated, and as a former certified organic farmer myself.

Commercial hemp seeds are shelled and cannot be sprouted. After reading your post SueZ, I wanted to know more, so I called the company that sells the Ojio hemp seeds I have in my refrigerator. The representative checked and then told me the seeds lose their ability to sprout due to losing their shells. He also told me that the shelling process does not heat the seeds, and that the seeds are never exposed to heat. They are raw.

Anyway, that's what he said; and he did spend some time checking. In my experience, the commercial hemp seeds are better quality now than previously, when they were first sold and seemed to go rancid easily. I'm assuming they're now more appropriately packaged and stored.

I do know the hemp seeds don't seem to bother me personally. On the other hand, I really cannot eat packaged organic seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, etc.) that claim to be sprouted, then dried. Cannot. My system is very sensitive, and these just kill me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2015 09:15PM by suncloud.

Posted by: Living Food ()
Date: January 11, 2015 10:44AM

IMO, a raw vegan diet can, and should, taste most excellent. No need to choose between the bad and the ugly (the only real places available for categorizing raw sprouted legumes).

Raw organic Austrian Pepitas are high in lysine and can be a delicious treat or a fabulous recipe ingredient - as can other nuts and seeds. They are safer, more digestable, and taste way WAY better than raw sprouted legumes.

If you feel a dire need to eat legumes just cook them, for Pete's sake, so eating them can be an enjoyable untainted experience for you. Why torture yourself by eating them raw? Torturing yourself will not get you a ticket into heaven will it? I don't think so.

There are quite a few advantages to eating strong-tasting foods and not pandering to the tastebuds. Regardless, if you ferment them or eat them with fermented grain sprouts they'll taste much better.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 11, 2015 10:48AM

Raw garbanzo bean hummus is what kept Boutenko, I forget his name this guy

he says its what kept him raw for the first few years.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 11, 2015 01:17PM

I would be more inclined to rely on sugar-snap peas than sprouted legumes. Also I do not think they are safe in large quantities--maybe only 1/4 cup or something like that.

Date: January 15, 2015 09:24PM

suncloud Wrote:
> I like sprouted lentils, and they don't give me
> gas at all. However, if they give gas to someone
> else, or if someone else doesn't like them, I
> would certainly not suggest or recommend that they
> eat them.
>
> The door swings both ways. I would also reserve
> the right for myself and others to eat what they
> like and makes them feel good. I've been a raw
> vegan for a very long time - over 28 years. What
> works for me is a variety of foods. If this
> works for me, it might work for others.
>
> Over the years, I've seen many, many people who
> try very hard but have never been able to
> consistently maintain raw vegan diets that
> severely restrict whole categories of raw vegan
> foods. And yet often, these are the very same
> people who are absolutely certain they know
> exactly what they and everyone else should eat.
>
> For myself, I don't eat everything every day, Lord
> knows. But I allow myself to eat the raw vegan
> foods I like, when I like them, and that feel
> good. That's how I stay raw. If someone else's
> strategy works well for them, that's fine too.
> Just say so. No need to tell everyone else what
> to eat.
>
> I'm not impressed by "gurus" or "teachers" with
> phony or zero credentials who tell everyone else
> what they should or should not eat. Brenda Davis
> RD is a long term vegan with real credentials and
> an established record for working very hard to
> save animals and preserve the environment by
> bringing veganism into the mainstream - for both
> healthy people and also for those who suffer from
> debilitating conditions. I'm very pleased that
> people like Brenda Davis RD are beginning to throw
> their hats into the raw food ring. There's
> nothing wrong with widening the scope of the
> discussion to include what these people have to
> say.
>
> __________________________________________________
> ___________
>
> SueZ wrote:
>
> "Suncloud, as things stand now, aren't the hemp
> seeds available for sale (in the USA at least)
> mostly irradiated or otherwise rendered not
> viable? To me they taste abysmal and dead."
>
> I appreciate your question and comments SueZ (as
> always).
>
> Most commercial hemp seed is labeled "organic".
>
> In the U.S., it's illegal to label a product
> "organic" if it's been irradiated. I know this as
> the former treasurer for Hawaii Organic Farmers
> Association (HOFA) during the years when federal
> rules for "organic" were being propagated, and as
> a former certified organic farmer myself.
>
> Commercial hemp seeds are shelled and cannot be
> sprouted. After reading your post SueZ, I wanted
> to know more, so I called the company that sells
> the Ojio hemp seeds I have in my refrigerator.
> The representative checked and then told me the
> seeds lose their ability to sprout due to losing
> their shells. He also told me that the shelling
> process does not heat the seeds, and that the
> seeds are never exposed to heat. They are raw.
>
> Anyway, that's what he said; and he did spend some
> time checking. In my experience, the commercial
> hemp seeds are better quality now than previously,
> when they were first sold and seemed to go rancid
> easily. I'm assuming they're now more
> appropriately packaged and stored.
>
> I do know the hemp seeds don't seem to bother me
> personally. On the other hand, I really cannot
> eat packaged organic seeds (pumpkin, sunflower,
> etc.) that claim to be sprouted, then dried.
> Cannot. My system is very sensitive, and these
> just kill me.

Suncloud, I have the same problem with packaged seeds that claim to be sprouted and dried that you do in addition to having a problem with hemp seeds. Maybe they all taste abysmal and dead to me because for all practice purposes they are.

Maybe those of us with very sensitive systems are sensing that these non viable things are not all they are cracked up to be as a food source. Maybe our bodies are letting us know that these dead things not only have been drained of their taste but are no longer even good for us in their condition. It's very possible.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables