Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Great source of potentially missing nutrition for low-fat individuals
Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: January 17, 2015 08:22PM

Sprouted buckwheat groats

1 cup provides:

Iron - 51% RDA

Zinc - 36% RDA

Selenium - 25% RDA

It's also a rich source of magnesium, B-vitamins, protein, lecithin and rutin. Lecithin is a precursor to acetylcholine and makes up approximately 30% of our brain. It is essential for proper functioning of the brain and nervous system, promotes energy production, and helps keep the liver healthy. Rutin strengthens blood vessels and acts as powerful antioxidant.

Buckwheat groats are roughly 80% carbohydrates.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2015 08:26PM by jtprindl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Great source of potentially missing nutrition for low-fat individuals
Posted by: Tai ()
Date: January 17, 2015 08:50PM

Is it okay to eat them dehydrated? I have made dried snacks with them and eat them as dehydrated cereal. What happens to the lecithin when the buckwheat is dehydrated? If you eat it freshly sprouted, raw and wet, how do you eat it? Any cons to raw buckwheat?

Date: January 17, 2015 09:15PM

"Is it okay to eat them dehydrated? I have made dried snacks with them and eat them as dehydrated cereal. What happens to the lecithin when the buckwheat is dehydrated? If you eat it freshly sprouted, raw and wet, how do you eat it? Any cons to raw buckwheat?"

Yes you can eat them dehydrated (not quite sure why you asked though since you've done it before lol). Good question in regards to lecithin content when dehydrated, I'm not sure but I can't think of any reason why it would be diminished. I haven't experimented with freshly sprouted buckwheat groats but am going to buy raw buckwheat groats in bulk very soon and sprout them. I'm just going to mix them with some raw honey. If they're too mushy, I'll dehydrate them a bit.

In rare instances, buckwheat can cause allergic reactions but other than that they are fine. Apparently raw buckwheat groats should also be rinsed thoroughly because they contain an odd slimy substance (maybe fagopyrin?).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2015 09:16PM by jtprindl.

Date: January 17, 2015 09:33PM

JTP...
Oh, I thought you were well versed in their prep. I have sprouted them a lot and made all kinds of dehydrated things with them. I only asked if it was okay because so many living foodists here are so against dehydration, as if it destroys so many nutrients, like the biophotons.

Also, an obscure fact about buckwheat greens (Particularly the juice) is that they can produce light sensitivity if taken too long (like daily for weeks and months), so that is why I asked about raw buckwheat, in case I am missing any obscure facts.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 17, 2015 09:37PM

There was a story in a book I read ages and ages ago, "Diet For A Small Planet" maybe, about a whole Russian team at the Olympics walking out of a dining room (or something like that) because no buckwheat was being served. Apparently they thought it was absolutely essential for their performance.

Date: January 17, 2015 10:42PM

"Oh, I thought you were well versed in their prep"

Nope but I look forward to sprouting them until they grow little tails and trying them without dehydrating.

"Also, an obscure fact about buckwheat greens (Particularly the juice) is that they can produce light sensitivity if taken too long (like daily for weeks and months), so that is why I asked about raw buckwheat, in case I am missing any obscure facts."

Too much buckwheat green juice can also cause skin rashes due to its fagopyrin content. Fortunately the groats only contain trace amounts if any at all so they're not problematic. They're a very cheap source of dense nutrition.

Date: January 17, 2015 10:45PM

"There was a story in a book I read ages and ages ago, "Diet For A Small Planet" maybe, about a whole Russian team at the Olympics walking out of a dining room (or something like that) because no buckwheat was being served. Apparently they thought it was absolutely essential for their performance."

Interesting, well it is a great source of nutrition lol. Maybe they were getting great results and didn't want to change anything.

Date: January 17, 2015 10:51PM

Yes, my russian friend and I sometimes split a 25 pound of buckwheat. He cooks his but I use mine raw (sprouted and dehydrated). We both think the other is strange for doing so.

Let me know how your sprouting goes. I usually only sprout mine for 24-36 hours.

Date: January 17, 2015 10:52PM

"He cooks his but I use mine raw (sprouted and dehydrated)."

What do you usually mix it with?

"Let me know how your sprouting goes. I usually only sprout mine for 24-36 hours."

Will do. How long are the tails at that point?

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 17, 2015 11:02PM

Maybe you can clarify in the title whether you mean individuals on a low-fat diet or individuals with low body fat?

Date: January 17, 2015 11:04PM

Utopian Life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe you can clarify in the title whether you
> mean individuals on a low-fat diet or individuals
> with low body fat?

Sorry, individuals on a low-fat diet.

Date: January 17, 2015 11:09PM

JTP wrote:
Will do. How long are the tails at that point?

Tai:
THey are just buds. I never measured them... maybe 2 mm?

JTP:
What do you usually mix it with?

Tai:
There are just too many recipes to list. I have been making raw dehydated buckwheat foods for 10 years. Pie crusts, cereals, crackers, trail mixs, snacks are just a handful of things. But I never thought to eat it fresh and mushy. I will try it though.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 17, 2015 11:24PM

I can't say I come up short on iron, selenium, or zinc anyway, but buckwheat has never been palatable or digestible for me.

Posted by: tezcal ()
Date: January 18, 2015 12:22AM

i actually love the taste of raw sprouted and fermented buckwheat. in the past i have mixed it with also raw and sprouted quinoa and amaranth, blending them for a bit and eating it sour, kind of like an oatmeal dish or something.

it's been a while, i've been wanting to try this again soon though. maybe mixing in some mesquite meal with it.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 18, 2015 12:51AM

How long are they when they have those levels of micronutrients? The nutrition profile changes as the length of the sprout changes.

Posted by: NuNativs ()
Date: January 18, 2015 01:07AM

I like to sprout them till they just bud too, usually 24 hours or so. I make great pizza crusts with those, with grated carrot, some salt and Italian herbs and a some coconut oil. Easy to eat a cup in a six inch crust, thanks for the info...

Date: January 18, 2015 01:10AM

Tezcal wrote:
i actually love the taste of raw sprouted and fermented buckwheat. in the past i have mixed it with also raw and sprouted quinoa and amaranth, blending them for a bit and eating it sour, kind of like an oatmeal dish or something.

Tai:
Wow that is hardcore. What do you use to ferment with? Do you ferment the buckwheat only and then blend in the other two? How is your stomach with all of that?

Date: January 18, 2015 01:29AM

arugula Wrote:
> How long are they when they have those levels of
> micronutrients? The nutrition profile changes as
> the length of the sprout changes.

From my knowledge, the nutritional info I posted is based upon non-sprouted buckwheat groats, so nutrient levels are likely increased significantly when you sprout them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2015 01:30AM by jtprindl.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: January 18, 2015 01:49AM

Dehydrating sprouts?
I do not see the need.
So much effort put into re-introducing water into a dried seed.
And then turn around and remove that same water.
Why?
Eating is drinking nutrient rich organic water.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2015 01:50AM by RawPracticalist.

Date: January 18, 2015 02:02AM

Sprouted vs unsprouted have completely different nutrient profiles and the longer the length of the sprout, the bigger the difference.

Sprouts have significantly increased water content and lower calories per unit weight. Usually there is much more vitamin C and much less fat compared to unsprouted. But there are many other differences.

There are few entries in the USDA nutrient database for sprouts. But it is worthwhile to take a look. There is no data for sprouted buckwheat so I would be skeptical of the source.

If the sprouts are very long, their nutrient profile is closer to greens than to grains (or legumes) and this includes the calorie content which is greatly decreased. However, vitamin and mineral content is greatly increased. Fat content decreases so these should not be considered good sources of fats. You can't eat great quantities of them.

Here is a good chart. These people have not provided buckwheat info.
[store.easygreen.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2015 02:12AM by arugula.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 18, 2015 02:38AM

does it have gluten

Date: January 18, 2015 02:39AM

arugula Wrote:
> Fat content
> decreases so these should not be considered good
> sources of fats. You can't eat great quantities of
> them.

It depends on the type of sprouts. After 2 days of sprouting the sesame and sunflower seeds will have lost roughly 20% concentrated fat, but still an excellent source of fats if not sprouted too long. Fermenting also breaks down fat levels.

Actually, the nutritional changes during the sprouting is all over the place. Concentrated fats decrease, yet predigested macronutrients can also convert to other predigested macronutrients so we may get increases in newly formed fatty acids etc. Other times vitamins will increase and the next day they dimish sharply. Sometimes anti nutrients are high and the next day they are low, and a few days later they will be high again.

Sprouts have been given a hard rap in the raw food world because they are a very misunderstood food. People see them as a poor nutrition substitute compared to veggies and all that because they focus on a few factors and ignore everything else going on with the sprout. I am determinded to have this type of thinking end, but wikipedia and many websites still promote such premature ideas.

Here is one of my favourite dubious blogs which shows profound ignorance of sprouts. My favourite parts of her quote:

These foods are highly over-rated. They are high in cellulose

Oh dear, if she knew the important role that indigestable cellulose played she would not be saying this.

and,

low in energy value, limited nutrient value

and

For those with an acquired taste for sprouts, they are fine for transition. They are not optimal, however, and do not deserve the favorable reputation they enjoy

This is the type of nonsense we are up against. Raw food leaders really need to start doing their homework or else they will dumb their students as well. No wonder the movement is in such a mess, such idealist blinkered ignorant thinking that applies raw food 101 like we are all robots. Yes...lots of sites are out there teaching this type of stuff. We have such a long way to go.

The rest of that page is classic inanity. It boggles my mind how people come up with this stuff. Wow, just WOW!!!

[rawschool.com]

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2015 02:54AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: January 18, 2015 02:57AM

la_veronique Wrote:
> does it have gluten

Nope.

Date: January 18, 2015 03:30AM

I wish people would not refer to paleo nonsense or mercola or even weil.

We know more than they do. We are the ones who are pushing the envelope.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: January 18, 2015 03:37AM

>>>It's also a rich source of magnesium, B-vitamins, protein, lecithin and rutin. Lecithin is a precursor to acetylcholine and makes up approximately 30% of our brain. It is essential for proper functioning of the brain and nervous system, promotes energy production, and helps keep the liver healthy. Rutin strengthens blood vessels and acts as powerful antioxidant.

lecithin is a required nutrient now? rutin?
anything else?

please, oh mighty one, give us your perfect diet, made up of non food powders and algaes, so that we can get all these wonderful nutrients that , what, are not available from normal plant foods? maybe then i can drag my self out of my stupor that i am in from eating normal foods, like any other self respecting primate?

what exactly do you do with all this vibrant health that you apparently have, jtprindl? i never hear about what you do exactly.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 18, 2015 04:09AM

Date: January 18, 2015 07:42AM

jtprindl Wrote:
> Sprouted buckwheat groats
>
> 1 cup provides:
>
> Iron - 51% RDA
>
> Zinc - 36% RDA
>
> Selenium - 25% RDA
>
>
> It's also a rich source of magnesium, B-vitamins,
> protein, lecithin and rutin. Lecithin is a
> precursor to acetylcholine and makes up
> approximately 30% of our brain. It is essential
> for proper functioning of the brain and nervous
> system, promotes energy production, and helps keep
> the liver healthy. Rutin strengthens blood vessels
> and acts as powerful antioxidant.
>
> Buckwheat groats are roughly 80% carbohydrates.

I have various buckwheat studies that are excellent, and this detailed study explains why buckwheat is highly advisable to be grown into greens. And when you study what these phytochemicals do you know you are onto a good thing.

SPROUTED BUCKWHEAT AN IMPORTANT VEGETABLE SOURCE OF ANTIOXIDANTS

CATERINA BRAJDES*, CAMELIA VIZIREANU*
[www.ann.ugal.ro]

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: January 18, 2015 08:57AM

jtprindl Wrote:
> Sprouted buckwheat groats
>
> 1 cup provides:
>
> Iron - 51% RDA
>
> Zinc - 36% RDA
>
> Selenium - 25% RDA
>
>
> It's also a rich source of magnesium, B-vitamins,
> protein, lecithin and rutin. Lecithin is a
> precursor to acetylcholine and makes up
> approximately 30% of our brain. It is essential
> for proper functioning of the brain and nervous
> system, promotes energy production, and helps keep
> the liver healthy. Rutin strengthens blood vessels
> and acts as powerful antioxidant.
>
> Buckwheat groats are roughly 80% carbohydrates.

What about buckwheat greens, is it the same distribution of vitamins?
How does one eat buckwheat groats?

Date: January 18, 2015 04:13PM

"What about buckwheat greens, is it the same distribution of vitamins?
How does one eat buckwheat groats?"

Not sure about the nutritional info of groats versus greens, TSM might know though. You can eat buckwheat groats in a variety of ways; plain, as part of a "granola" cereal, made into a dessert crust, etc. I plan on testing them out with raw honey but you could also use coconut sugar, maple syrup, etc.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: January 18, 2015 04:48PM

make sure that raw honey is freshly picked right off the tree. rofl.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables