Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Green Smoothies vs. Juicing
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: January 18, 2015 04:46PM

arugula Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 4 heads of romaine and 30 dates plus a reliable
> source of B12 and sunshine might work for a while.
> Selenium is missing, though. Also that would get
> very very boring.
>

do you see what happens when you listen to an IDIOT like jtprindl ?

why would you do that, arugula, you are smarter than that?

i do not eat primarily lettuce and dates.

i eat a wide variety of foods.

"too much fat/too much fruit"

that is easily rectified without eating beans, although i am not telling you to stop eating beans. that's your choice.

regarding dean P, looks like quite a good diet, although he claims it is CR and it is clearly not, at 2000kcal per day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: January 18, 2015 04:49PM

"do you see what happens when you listen to an IDIOT like jtprindl ?"

There goes that mental instability again smiling smiley

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 18, 2015 04:57PM

Fresh, I do believe that Dean is highly restricted.

This is from a year ago.
[www.youtube.com]

His diet is very high fiber and there is less usable metabolic energy than what the bomb calorimeter detects.

He eats legumes, too, in a protein powder supplement. Or at least he used to. He has not posted his diet recently but I believe he is relying more on what he grows in his backyard now and possibly increasing fruit while decreasing olive oil.

Please tell me what you eat to avoid too much fruit and too much fat.

Date: January 18, 2015 05:29PM

arugula Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fresh, I do believe that Dean is highly
> restricted.
>
> This is from a year ago.
> [www.youtube.com]
>

i was just going from his website that says 2000 calories, or a bit less, every day, which is not calorie restricted as he is claiming. no matter.

> His diet is very high fiber and there is less
> usable metabolic energy than what the bomb
> calorimeter detects.
>
> He eats legumes, too, in a protein powder
> supplement. Or at least he used to. He has not
> posted his diet recently but I believe he is
> relying more on what he grows in his backyard now
> and possibly increasing fruit while decreasing
> olive oil.
>
> Please tell me what you eat to avoid too much
> fruit and too much fat.

depends on what you think overeating fruit means and why.

not sure what would prompt you to eat too much fat, other than inability to handle the energy, or need to mimic old cooked foods.

i would just make the claim that it is quite healthy and doable to eat a mix of raw fruits and veg without "overeating" fruit.

i would also say that any time that one is eating low water content or cooked, that appetite is often increased, so one wants to eat more than is necessary, whether fruit or otherwise.

Date: January 18, 2015 05:43PM

I eat massive quantities of food. 2-3 kg most days.

My BMI has been around 18.5 for about 38 years now. I get a lot more calories from sweet fruit than from vegetables.

But I do get an appreciable amount from non-sweet fruit such as bell pepper, tomato, and zucchini. I can't say i get 2Kg of greens every day. Maybe 1.

Yes, I would say that most people say I overeat. They are not capable of taking in the volumes that I do which are of course mostly water.

But I am not taking in too many kcals.

Date: January 18, 2015 05:57PM

sounds like you're doing great. I was just saying that there are certain things like salt, cooked and being dehydrated that increase one's appetite either due to confusion of thirst with hunger, or stimulation of appetite by spices and cooked foods, and one can eat more than is necessary. also eating foods that are "too low" in calories can make one feel like one is eating all the time or eating too much although that's a bit different.

you could experiment eating 100% raw for a week and go back to what you're doing now to see what differences you see as far as hunger/appetite or anything else. after a certain amount of time you see that appetite drops and you don't need as much as you thought, at least according to hunger.

Posted by: Anon 102 ()
Date: January 18, 2015 09:12PM

I plant yard long beans every summer and mostly pick and eat them off the plants. I find no need to cook them. They taste good raw.
Sometimes I buy raw green beans and eat them raw. I find no need to cook those too.
I also sprout chick peas and eat them raw.
Arugula, try eating these legumes raw if you will. Maybe you'll like them.

Date: January 18, 2015 09:17PM

Yes, I have long green beans in the fridge right now. They are good for a go.

But I sprouted chick peas once. I do not wish to repeat that experiment!

Sugar snap and snow peas are best for eating raw I think. Or homegrown sprouts.

Posted by: Anon 102 ()
Date: January 18, 2015 09:34PM

Yeah, Sugar snap and snow peas are good too.

Posted by: Living Food ()
Date: January 18, 2015 11:10PM

I have not read all of the posts here yet, so I will just comment on the topic of the thread for now.

Arugula: that link you posted about juicing compares store-bought, heavily modified + pasteurized fruit juices with whole fruit. Mass produced juices aren't even food. First the fruit is basically reduced to pure sugar through extensive processing, then "reconstituted" by adding fluoride-and-chlorine-laden tap water (it may be filtered, I forget). By that point it has been so heavily processed that it neither looks or tastes like fruit anymore, so the companies add toxic flavoring and coloring chemicals to the sugar water so it is more reminiscent of actual fruit. Now I personally don't believe that even fresh-squeezed fruit juice is healthy in most cases, but the comparison made by the link uses nothing close to fresh-squeezed juice and is an unfair assessment of actual fresh juice. Commercially available bottled juices have no more in common with fresh fruit than soda does. And as the video talks exclusively about fruit juice, it is hardly relevant to juicing greens.

I found the part about the nonextractable polyphenols to be quite interesting, thank you for bringing that to my attention. I look forward to researching the issue in depth. But my above points still stand and extrapolating studies done on toxic sugar water (commercially available mass-produced juices) and applying them to green juices is silly. [if this part of the post sounds harsh or critical it is not meant too, I am just trying to highlight the differences between store-bought and homemade juices and point out that juicing may not be as bad as that link makes it out to be. I am not at all criticizing you, I am just saying we should exercise caution and not give undue weight to dubious studies]

Blending vs juicing (very basic discussion)

Blending
The nice thing about blending is that you can blend low water content foods that you would never be able to juice. Blending is also considerably quicker and can be much easier to clean up afterwards than some juicers. The drawbacks are that blending oxidizes food alot more and seems to interfere with the energetic quality of the food. But if you don't have the time to sit down and chew your food very thoroughly, you should blend it. Just make sure to still chew and swish the blended food around in your mouth for optimum digestion.

Juicing
Juicers generally only work with foods with a high water content, aka fruits and vegetables. The juice they create has no fiber, which has both advantages and disadvantages. The nutrients are absorbed many times better without the fiber, but if you are juicing a lot of fruit than the lack of fiber becomes a detriment and it is like drinking sugar water. The main advantage of juicing is that is saves your body huge amounts of energy that would otherwise have to be spent on digesting all of the fiber in the food, which is why juicing is ideal for cleansing and fasting.

I mentioned that blending oxidizes the food a lot more than juicing, but juice also oxidizes much faster than blended food. Sound confusing? It works like this: when you blend a food, the act of blending itself will significantly oxidize the food, and after that the blended food will continue to oxidize at a moderate rate as time goes on. When you juice a food with a good masticating juicer, the act of juicing will hardly oxidize the food at all. However, since the juice has no fiber, the juice will oxidize very very rapidly after it has been made. The moral of the story is that juice should be drank immediately after being made, and although it's still best to drink blended food immediately, you have a little more leeway than with juiced food.

You get far more benefits out of vegetables if they are juiced than blended, but it is better to blend fruits than juice large amounts of them.

Juicing comparison

Fruits

Fruits are the worst things to juice and should never be juiced imo, but if you feel the need to use them as a flavor enhancer they can be juiced sparingly and added to green juices. If you are going to consume fruit the best way is to eat it whole, and if you juice large amounts of it on a regular basis you are setting yourself up for blood sugar problems down the line.

Vegetables

Vegetables are the next level of juicing and are way better to juice than fruits, but they still have their own drawbacks. While most vegetables are unlikely to give you sugar spikes, raw mature vegetables tend to be quite high in various antinutrients and you will be consuming large doses of them in juices. It is far superior to juice them than eat them though because most vegetables are unsuitable to be eaten raw. If you are eating mature vegetables raw you should be either juicing or fermenting them, and some of the more digestible ones are ok blended as well. But it is still best to limit this class of food.

Weeds

Weeds are far more nutritious than shop-bought vegetables and also seem to have unique nutrients and a special energy that you cannot get from today's domesticated and extensively hybridized vegetables. Highly recommended.

Sprouts

Green sprouts and microgreens are by far the best foods to juice. Their nutritional profile and energetic vibration far surpasses fruits and vegetables, many many times over!!! They also tend to have much softer and easier digestible fibers than vegetables so they are more suitable for eating whole, but this isn't ideal because they will fill you up and make it hard to ingest enough calories (certain people are exempt from such rules smiling smiley, but most of us still need to follow them for the time being), and you will need to spend hours eating the same amount of sprouts that you could have drank within a matter of minutes if juiced. These foods have such an astounding nutritional profile, why would you risk eating them and not absorbing all the nutrients or blending them and destroying many of the nutrients through oxidation?

All the above arguments aside, for me the green sprouts are about the life/light energy they contain, and the best way to get it (from food) is to consume large amounts of them in the form of juices.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables