Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: can raw foods heal my mental illness?
Posted by: brome ()
Date: January 22, 2015 10:44PM

Meditation in general is meant to heal the mind of all problems. Yoga is especially good.

[www.meditationiseasy.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2015 10:51PM by brome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 22, 2015 10:48PM

brome Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Meditation in general is meant to heal the mind of
> all problems. Yoga is especially good.
>
> Here're the 118 meditations of Tantra Yoga. Try
> one you like:
>
> [www.osho.com]
> e-library-tantra-philosophical-concerned-60764fd4-
> b5f?p=76533c4ed6904d92be971100aa4a8aae
>
> [www.osho.com]
> -quotes-tantra-collection

Yes, l believe powerful meditation is by far the most effective thing one can do, especially when enlightenment is reached. Raw food seems to be a much milder version for doing the same thing, ie, balancing a person.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2015 10:50PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 22, 2015 10:55PM

The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
> banana who Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > LOL! But doctors are perfectly safe, right?
> >
> >
> [www.freesmileys.org]
>
> > .gif
>
>
>
> The point is that one should not go reducing
> medication without first employing a good diet
> over a period of time and wmonitoring by a doctor.
> To do otherwise can put people at risk of mental
> decline, especially if one is in phychosis in the
> first place.

Well, of course. Sorry I didn't specify that piece of it. But one has to deal with docs who might not be supportive of it. People have gone off all sorts of meds regardless so I cannot say for sure that it's impossible. Maybe try and find a natural MD.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 22, 2015 11:16PM

The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
> banana who Wrote:
> -----
>
> > LOL! But doctors are perfectly safe, right?
> >
> >
> [www.freesmileys.org]
>
> > .gif
>
>
>
> The point is that one should not go reducing
> medication without first employing a good diet
> over a period of time and wmonitoring by a doctor.
> To do otherwise can put people at risk of mental
> decline, especially if one is in phychosis in the
> first place.

Thanks. It seems she gets it now. Let's hope the OP understands the point, too.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 23, 2015 06:48AM

you are lucky if you can cure your condition with diet alone

for those who have war time PTSD - no amount of salads will cure them

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: January 23, 2015 07:31AM

la_veronique Wrote:
> you are lucky if you can cure your condition with
> diet alone
>
> for those who have war time PTSD - no amount of
> salads will cure them

Ayahuasca and psychedelic mushrooms could though smiling smiley

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: January 23, 2015 02:21PM

These quotes by Shelton do not necessarily apply to the OP, but nonetheless, they do apply to most conditions because Death begins in the Colon!

“It has been suggested more than once that the milder types of insanity have their origin in colonic irritation.” -Herbert Shelton, page 136 in Fasting Can Save Your Life.

“It is essential to understand that all chronic forms of inflammation begin with irritation, followed by inflammation and ulceration. If the location favors stasis —stoppage of the blood flow—induration and cancer follow.” -Herbert Shelton, page 139 in Fasting Can Save Your Life.

Eating prevents the bowel from healing and keeps alive the disease process.” -Herbert Shelton, page 140 in Fasting Can Save Your Life.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 24, 2015 04:54PM

jtprindl Wrote:
> la_veronique Wrote:
> -----
> > you are lucky if you can cure your condition
> with
> > diet alone
> >
> > for those who have war time PTSD - no amount
> of
> > salads will cure them
>
>
> Ayahuasca and psychedelic mushrooms could though
> smiling smiley

I have heard that Cary Grant cured his alcoholism by dropping acid. I just think that it could be terrifying for certain types. I never did 'scrooms or acid because I am a trip already...

Posted by: tezcal ()
Date: January 24, 2015 09:01PM

There have been some recent studies and lots of anecdotal evidence to show that these medicines can help with post traumatic stress of all kinds.

You will have to do a lot of research and studying though. Ayahuasca in particular will interfere with certain antidepressants and can cause serotonin syndrome. I would always recommend going to a trust worthy highly reviewed healer too. Which can cost thousands

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 26, 2015 10:27AM

Cannabis cures people overnight of alcohol addiction. Something in it, you can juice it raw for the cannabinoids.Makes you feel more in the present moment. That can help a lot of people with anxiety or worry.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 26, 2015 09:05PM

Like most animals our body plans are the "tube-within-a-tube" plan and we have developed all kinds of interesting accessories to support this plan.

But I see no reason to place extra emphasis on the importance of the end of the tube compared to the beginning or the middle of the tube.

On the other hand, recently scientists have been studying the mind-microbieme connection, see for example:

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
We posit that the microbiome in the gastrointestinal tract is implicit as an important participant for the amelioration of adverse mood conditions via the diverse metabolic activities provided by live beneficial bacteria (probiotics) as an active adjuvant treatment. This activity is in part triggered by a controlled release of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and hence further questions the antioxidant/oxidative stress postulate.

and
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

This is not inconsistent with what Sheldon said--only he didn't have the precise scientific terms for it.

Date: January 28, 2015 03:58AM

jtprindl

<<
la_veronique Wrote:
> you are lucky if you can cure your condition with
> diet alone
>
> for those who have war time PTSD - no amount of
> salads will cure them

Ayahuasca and psychedelic mushrooms could though smiling smiley>>

couldn't agree or disagree with you since i know very little about either drugs

i also don't know a whole lot about the PTSD that war veterans suffer other than the fact that it is seemingly very rampant and a leading cause of suicide

that being said, i tend to think that all drugs ( mind opening or not) have
some adverse affect on the body which seems to be downplayed quite a bit by the proponents of psychadelics

what are the adverse effects of ayuhasca and psychedelics?

even broccoli has goitrogens

lolsmiling smiley

Posted by: tezcal ()
Date: January 28, 2015 05:26AM

la_veronique Wrote:
> jtprindl
>
> <<
> la_veronique Wrote:
> -----
> > you are lucky if you can cure your condition
> with
> > diet alone
> >
> > for those who have war time PTSD - no amount of
> > salads will cure them
>
>
> Ayahuasca and psychedelic mushrooms could though
> smiling smiley>>
>
> couldn't agree or disagree with you since i know
> very little about either drugs
>
> i also don't know a whole lot about the PTSD that
> war veterans suffer other than the fact that it is
> seemingly very rampant and a leading cause of
> suicide
>
> that being said, i tend to think that all drugs (
> mind opening or not) have
> some adverse affect on the body which seems to be
> downplayed quite a bit by the proponents of
> psychadelics
>
> what are the adverse effects of ayuhasca and
> psychedelics?
>
> even broccoli has goitrogens
>
> lolsmiling smiley

Unfortunately because of the ban in most countries on these substances for the previous forty or so years, there havent been many studies regarding long term use. There was one called the hoasca project though done in Brazil. Here's something quick I found from it

"The team returned to Manaus in the summer of 1993 to begin the field phase of the research, which was conducted using volunteers who were members of the Nucleo Caupari in Manaus, one of the oldest and largest UDV congregations in Brazil. The team spent five weeks in Brazil administering test doses of hoasca tea to the volunteers, collecting plasma and urine samples for later analysis, and carrying out a variety of physiological and psychological measurements.

The result was one of the most comprehensive multifaceted investigations of the chemistry, psychological effects, and psychopharmacology of a psychedelic drug to be carried out in the twentieth century. Both the acute and the long-term effects of regular ingestion of hoasca tea were measured and characterized; extensive psychological evaluations, and in-depth structured psychiatric interviews were conducted with all volunteers; the nature of the serotonergic response to ayahuasca was measured and characterized; and the pharmacokinetics of the major hoasca alkaloids were measured for the first time in human plasma. Since completion of the field phase of the study, the results have been published in a number of peer-reviewed papers (Grob et al. 1996; Callaway et al. 1994, 1996, 1998) and are summarized in a comprehensive review (McKenna et al. 1998). Among the key findings were that long-time members of the UDV commonly underwent experiences that changed their lives and behavior in positive and profound ways; and that there was a persistent elevation in serotonin uptake receptors in platelets, possibly indicative of similar long-term serotonergic modulation occurring in the central nervous system that may reflect long-term adaptive changes in brain functions. The study did establish that the regular use of hoasca, at least within the ritual context and supportive social environment that exists within the UDV, is safe and without adverse long-term toxicity, and, moreover, apparently has lasting, positive influences on physical and mental health."

Ayahuasca can have a purgitive effect, but this is seen as a sort of spiritual cleansing in traditional settings. I have felt the purge before and felt like I was tons lighter for a while afterwords.

It is worth noting too that,just from an observational stand point and not scientific, many people who experience ayahuasca frequently tend to also get turned on to raw foods, or at least cleaning up their diet.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: January 28, 2015 06:24AM

To Tezcal and La veronique, I started a thread in the other health category on that topic. I have an herbal teacher (James Duke) who works with a clairvoyant authentic shaman who uses ayahuasca, and there are some nice, even amazing stories about it. At the same time, the youth need to understand the pros and especially the cons before experimenting, because a lot can go wrong.

[www.mensjournal.com]

i am sure Tezcal's study is accurate, that the medicine is safe. But who will administer it and who will verify that the herbs are correct and the correct dosage or who will protect a young man going to South America from the fake money-hungry medicine men?

Date: January 28, 2015 05:35PM

tai

the golden rule : there is always a risk

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: January 28, 2015 07:12PM

La Veronique wrote:
the golden rule : there is always a risk

Tai:
Yes, that is I why I explained above that I created another thread on this forum (under other health) and in it, I list the contraindications of ayahuasca. Also, Tezcal also explained it partially above, too. When I say it's safe, it just means for those whom the tea is not contraindicated. You should read the full thread, because the issue at hand is that sometimes people are not even receiving real ayahuasca and the brew itself is highly variable. I wanted to caution the experimenters, so I created a separate thread.

I will cut and paste a paragraph from my other thread, which is taken for the erowid vault:
"The primary risks associated with ayahuasca are the inclusion of a MAOI as a definitional component of the brew and the fact that there is no single recipe for ayahuasca and admixture plants can include any of a wide variety of psychoactives including Datura or Brugmansia. MAOIs can be dangerous because they inhibit an enzyme important in the metabolic breakdown of many foods and drugs. The combination of MAOIs with certain drugs, particularly stimulants, can lead to dangerous or potentially fatal medical situations.

Date: January 28, 2015 08:23PM

tai

thanks for your response

koan for the day : what do plants take to get high?

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: January 29, 2015 01:17AM

"Drugs don’t contain highs, they trigger highs in the brain’s pleasure pathways, circuits that have evolved long ago to reward and reinforce behaviors crucial to our survival. In that sense, our brains are addicted to life. …Any activity that produces rewards in the brain’s chemistry has at least the potential of addiction." -TLC – Science Frontiers, The Addicted Brain

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables