Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Who are your favorite raw food "gurus" or "celebrities?"
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 20, 2015 05:36PM

I am bracing myself for the typical "I am a leader, not a follower" comment. I just know that most of us resonate to different personality types. Some like less flashy, more scientific people while others like the entertainment value of certain "stars."

I admire David Wolfe, Freelee and Harley, Matt and Angela, Kristina, Tarah, Megan Elizabeth, and Natasha for different reasons. But I can see their various charms, you know? smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who are your favorite raw food "gurus" or "celebrities?"
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: January 20, 2015 07:28PM

Myself

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 20, 2015 07:51PM

Matthew Kenney.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: January 20, 2015 08:28PM

SueZ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Matthew Kenney.

Didn't know who he was until you mentioned him but he looks great for his age. Found this brief interview: [www.rawguru.com] - Doesn't look like he's 100% raw anymore but still looks very healthy nonetheless.

I would probably have to go with David Wolfe and Lou Corona. I like Brian Clement as well but I wish he would provide more references for his claims and didn't lie about being a doctor.

I am also going to start listening to more of Peter Ragnar's interviews, videos, writings, etc. He's apparently extremely strong, and in this interview - [www.youtube.com] - this Naturopathic doctor says Peter Ragnar's SpectraCell test results are the only he's ever seen which reveal zero deficiencies. Ragnar says he uses hydrilla algae for B12, and judging by his lab results, it seems to be quite effective.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2015 08:35PM by jtprindl.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 20, 2015 08:56PM

They all have their charms, and I love some of them dearly, but they pretty much all spout nonsense from time to time.

And some of them work very very hard, even if they have maids.

But for quality of advice, I'll stick with John Kohler and Rick/Karin Dina.

For a book, only "Becoming Raw" by Melina and Davis.

The hippy/drippy/trippy stuff for me ranges from amusing to annoying to infuriating, depending on the specifics. I can live without that part. I think more people would be interested in raw if it weren't for that part.

Date: January 20, 2015 09:51PM

jtprindl Wrote:
> Ragnar says
> he uses hydrilla algae for B12, and judging by his
> lab results, it seems to be quite effective.

Very interesting.

My all time favourites are Brian Clement and Viktoras Kulvinskas for different reasons. Vik gives a more spiritual aspect to raw foods and was a massive influence growing up, and l am right on his level with many things...l owe him and love him dearly,he sees the big picture rare in the movement. Brian is very interesting and comforting to listen too. Both support sproutarianism.

Really loving Gabriel Coisens in the last 6 months more than ever. He has been very influencial on me making some major steps forward. None-the-less, he says many cringeworthy things, but l think he leads the way because he is big on customising diets, where-as no-one else is doing that in the movement. You can tell he is enlightened.

Lou Corona - don't listen to him much, but l love the passion in his heart. A beautiful man that moves my emotions. He is as genuine as you will ever get.

David Jubb - I am his biggest critic and know he talks lots of rubbish, yet ironically he has had big influence on me in studying anti nutrients, probiotic fermentation and prebiotics.

Rick Dina - a good mind and good heart and tries to help the average person without being a big guru about it. He is a nice bloke.

Megan Elizabeth - discovered she has an open mind to many things and she seems a nice person, and l like that. She is boring and l have only listened to her a few times. A bit of a salesmen though, but people have to make a living somehow.

Anne Osbourne - quite open minded for a person on such an extreme diet. She has a real maturity that is refreshing. I can only listen to her occasionally.

So yes, Brian Clement, Vik, Gabriel Coisens, David Jubb and Ann Wigmore have been my influences,so of course l will have a special spot for them in my heart. And of course the sprouting people will always be closest to my heart.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2015 09:57PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: January 20, 2015 10:25PM

SueZ Wrote:
> Matthew Kenney.

Oops. I forgot to add Russell James.

[www.therawchef.com]

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 21, 2015 01:52AM

I forgot to add Viktor Kulvinskas and Karyn Calabrese. smiling smiley

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 21, 2015 03:27AM

My signed copy, covered in lip gloss. Matthew Kenney also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2015 03:28AM by coconutcream.

Date: January 21, 2015 04:21AM

coconutcream Wrote:
> My signed copy, covered in lip gloss. Matthew
> Kenney also.

Matthew Kenney was very mean to Sarma. He left her
in tremendous debt:

[observer.com]

Date: January 21, 2015 04:32AM

Matthew Kenney was very mean to Sarma.

I read in the tabloids that she threw an orange at him!

Date: January 21, 2015 04:49AM

arugula Wrote:
> coconutcream Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > My signed copy, covered in lip gloss. Matthew
> > Kenney also.
>
>
> Matthew Kenney was very mean to Sarma. He left
> her
> in tremendous debt:
>
> [observer.com]
> ie-world-rawfood-queen-scuffles-with-chelsea-marke
> t/

Sounds like she admits to cheating on him ...

"A tabloid battle ensued, with Mr. Kenney accusing Ms. Melngailis of having an affair with one of the restaurant’s managers and of subjecting him to physical abuse, and Ms. Melngailis countering with statements like “he is reminding me of David Gest.”

“He was very clever in that everything he claimed was technically true, but was generally exaggerated so it came out sounding really dramatic, like the assault charge he filed,” said Ms. Melngailis (now cohabiting happily across the street from Pure Food with a musician who once worked in her juice bar). “Yes, I threw grapefruits at him, but I think that’s funny!”

Date: January 21, 2015 04:51AM

coconutcream Wrote:
> My signed copy, covered in lip gloss.

Yours or his?

Date: January 21, 2015 05:04AM

SUEZ

When he looked like a girl, he really did look like a beautiful elven fairy!

I had a small window where I could have worked there- for free- many years back, but I decided no. Just like I said no to raw vegan cooking for bob Marley's mom, it was a missed opportunity for sure.

I been waiting to use this meme for eons. I think I shall use it now. Its kind of related right

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2015 05:07AM by coconutcream.

Date: January 21, 2015 06:40AM

The French raw fooder with the hard to spell name (Fred) wrote about some crazy first hand stories regarding Juliano, he is said to be very eccentric, and from looking at that picture l am starting to understand why lol (I don't say this with a negative tone). One story Fred told was Juliano being on LSD and out to it on the kitchen table while listening to intensely loud death metal music. Dr Jubb kind of dresses like that too, and probably just as eccentric. I like eccentric raw fooders.

My friend studied to be a raw food chef with Juliano and also did a health degree with David Wolfe. He has gone back to 100% raw and has been all raw for over 4 years now.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: January 21, 2015 02:57PM

coconutcream Wrote:
> SUEZ
>
> When he looked like a girl, he really did look
> like a beautiful elven fairy!
> [4.bp.blogspot.com]
> AAAAAAAAATU/8vrUjDUv0As/s1600/juliano-fuzzy.jpg

I agree!

>
> I had a small window where I could have worked
> there- for free- many years back, but I decided
> no. Just like I said no to raw vegan cooking for
> bob Marley's mom, it was a missed opportunity for
> sure.

Was it a short term internship he was offering or does everyone work for free for the 'glamour' opportunity aspects out that way?

Posted by: Anon 102 ()
Date: January 21, 2015 06:58PM

I had felt a little kinship with Doug Graham until I found out he was a lying d ouche bag pos*.

* piece of s#@t.

Other than that no one else.

Date: January 21, 2015 08:02PM

Could you post some of dough graham lies?
I am not sure if there is any

Posted by: Anon 102 ()
Date: January 21, 2015 09:20PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
> Could you post some of dough graham lies?
> I am not sure if there is any

Well If you think there are none(and that's ok) with all the melee that happened last year then I won't be able to convince you.

Posted by: NuNativs ()
Date: January 21, 2015 09:20PM

Not to mention that Graham looks like death warmed over...

Date: January 21, 2015 09:37PM

That's what happens when you are a white person, highly exposed for 5 or more decades and you rely on diet alone to protect you.

It won't. SAD eaters can take 2.54 minutes per day of sun without damage. If you are a great raw eater (lots of vegetables and highly colored fruits with good o6yawning smiley3 ratio) you can stretch that out to about 10 minutes.

Doug looks like he is in the sun for hours per day.

I use a big floppy hat and sunscreen with PPD 30. The newer filters have molecule size of over 500 dalton which is too big to penetrate the skin.

I am more afraid to go without them than with them. I don't want to look like Doug when I am Doug's age. I will get there pretty soon.

Everyone when young is pretty. In age, it's more than what you eat. It's more than exercising. It's also about what you did to take care of your skin.

Date: January 21, 2015 10:11PM

Anon 102 Wrote:
> I had felt a little kinship with Doug Graham until
> I found out he was a lying d ouche bag pos*.
>
>
> * piece of s#@t.
>
>
> Other than that no one else.

I wish all the lying d ouche bag pos leader's follower's would react properly, as you have, to the truth. Congrats.

Posted by: KFCA ()
Date: January 21, 2015 10:29PM

Love them all! They ALL lie so much makes my genealogy hobby so interesting.

My original Alt,Health Guru subject was Dr. (maybe/maybe not) Norman Wardhaugh Walker, the juice guy. Moved on to Paul C. Bragg/Patricia Bragg. Then Ann Wigmore. Then Dr. (well he actually was once a dentist) Louis Estes. Then Jack LaLanne.

Just today I ran across an article in the Midland Reporter Telegram, Midland, TX. dated Jan. 20, 1977 on Ann Wigmore, who was passing through. She claimed that 17 years ago, that would be 1960, she cured herself of crippling arthritis, asthma, and her gray hair. I believe that was the exact same time at other places she claimed to cure herself of colon cancer, though needless to say that that malady was not mentioned there. Like an old friend used to say, the trouble with lying is that you have to have a good memory to remember what story you told the last time.

Date: January 21, 2015 10:58PM

KFCA Wrote:
> Love them all! They ALL lie so much makes my
> genealogy hobby so interesting.
>
> My original Alt,Health Guru subject was Dr.
> (maybe/maybe not) Norman Wardhaugh Walker, the
> juice guy. Moved on to Paul C. Bragg/Patricia
> Bragg. Then Ann Wigmore. Then Dr. (well he
> actually was once a dentist) Louis Estes. Then
> Jack LaLanne.
>
> Just today I ran across an article in the Midland
> Reporter Telegram, Midland, TX. dated Jan. 20,
> 1977 on Ann Wigmore, who was passing through. She
> claimed that 17 years ago, that would be 1960, she
> cured herself of crippling arthritis, asthma, and
> her gray hair. I believe that was the exact same
> time at other places she claimed to cure herself
> of colon cancer, though needless to say that that
> malady was not mentioned there. Like an old
> friend used to say, the trouble with lying is that
> you have to have a good memory to remember what
> story you told the last time.

Thanks for the information and taking the time to do the research, l am sure a bunch of us appreciate it.

It could be a lie, but l feel there may be an explanation.

Posted by: KFCA ()
Date: January 21, 2015 11:22PM

Don't think so, Sprout. What would be the explanation that NONE of these conditions, including the alleged gray hair change, were mentioned whatsoever in her "Why Suffer" books [allegedly Wigmore's Life Story by Wigmore], which were first published in 1964, reprinted, reprinted & reprinted, and I also have the updated 1985 copy & nothing there either. The ONLY health condition mentioned whatsoever in that era was the Hernia episode of 1960, which was taken care of by surgery in a conventional hospital as I reported earlier.

Date: January 22, 2015 12:11AM

KFCA Wrote:
> Don't think so, Sprout. What would be the
> explanation that NONE of these conditions,
> including the alleged gray hair change, were
> mentioned whatsoever in her "Why Suffer" books ,
> which were first published in 1964, reprinted,
> reprinted & reprinted, and I also have the updated
> 1985 copy & nothing there either. The ONLY health
> condition mentioned whatsoever in that era was the
> Hernia episode of 1960, which was taken care of by
> surgery in a conventional hospital as I reported
> earlier.

Oh dear, that is a really sad thing to think about. If there was one raw food leader l had complete faith in to tell the truth, it was Ann Wigmore. The thought that she would lie is a really bitter pill to swallow. I have always seen her in a very high light and wanted to carry on her good work in her spirit and memory, so this is tough for me to hear. If it is true then so be it, l will just make an effort to make sure l don't do it as well. It is too easy to take the lower road, and some people can get to a point where they get sick of the lies and want to take the higher and harder road.

Some diet promotors might not look as fluffy and polished as some of the gurus who lie, but l think the time has come where people want raw leaders who have top notch integrity.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: January 22, 2015 12:24AM

The conclusion that she lied about gray hair is simply derived from the fact that she did not mention it in her book.
Maybe she did not think it was a big deal.
There must be before and after picture of her hair. [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2015 12:29AM by RawPracticalist.

Posted by: Living Food ()
Date: January 22, 2015 02:05AM

That's what happens when you are a white person, highly exposed for 5 or more decades and you rely on diet alone to protect you.

It won't. SAD eaters can take 2.54 minutes per day of sun without damage. If you are a great raw eater (lots of vegetables and highly colored fruits with good o63 ratio) you can stretch that out to about 10 minutes.

Doug looks like he is in the sun for hours per day.

I use a big floppy hat and sunscreen with PPD 30. The newer filters have molecule size of over 500 dalton which is too big to penetrate the skin.

I am more afraid to go without them than with them. I don't want to look like Doug when I am Doug's age. I will get there pretty soon.

Everyone when young is pretty. In age, it's more than what you eat. It's more than exercising. It's also about what you did to take care of your skin.

The sun has a lot more benefits than drawbacks. It's a real shame that you are using sunscreen, and there's been some evidence that sunscreen is far more mutagenic than UV light from the sun.

There was also a study done showing that vitamin D decreases the risk of 17 different types of cancer, including skin cancer. Even if the UV rays are doing some damage, the vitamin D from the sun may be enough to counteract that.

I think that if you are eating a good, fresh diet with the full spectrum of nutrients and very high antioxidant levels you will be just fine. Even light-skinned people can stay out in the sun all day if they eat a good diet and build up the exposure time slowly.

Even if you do end up with a wrinkly face, is it really a big deal?? Is vanity worth more than all of the health and other benefits that sunbathing brings? If it is to you that's fine, but personally I choose the many benefits that sunbathing brings over "looking pretty in my old age."

Date: January 22, 2015 02:13AM

The toxins in the sunscreen may not be able to penetrate your skin, but that is not the only thing to take into consideration before you put something on your skin. The skin is the largest organ of elimination in the body, responsible for expelling toxins day in and day out through perspiration. When you put thick creams or lotions on your skin, you clog your pores and prevent them from doing their job. With one of your principle modes of elimination neutralized, your liver, kidneys, etc are all forced to work harder and the toxins stay in your body longer with a potential to do more damage. The world today is a far more toxic place than it was just a few decades ago, so why put additional stress on already overworked organs?

Date: January 22, 2015 02:16AM

Oh dear, that is a really sad thing to think about. If there was one raw food leader l had complete faith in to tell the truth, it was Ann Wigmore. The thought that she would lie is a really bitter pill to swallow. I have always seen her in a very high light and wanted to carry on her good work in her spirit and memory, so this is tough for me to hear. If it is true then so be it, l will just make an effort to make sure l don't do it as well. It is too easy to take the lower road, and some people can get to a point where they get sick of the lies and want to take the higher and harder road.

I also find it hard to believe that Ann Wigmore would have lied. I never met her so I may be wrong, but from everything I know about her she was completely straight up and honest and just wanted to help people, not make money or deceive people.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables