Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Calcium for vegetarians/vegans
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 25, 2015 11:35PM

A summary from the Vegetarian Resource Group on calcium in vegetarian/vegan diets (To be continued, of course - in the ongoing search for truth through research, etc.):

[vndpg.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Calcium for vegetarians/vegans
Date: January 26, 2015 01:07AM

Sorry, the link is from the Vegetarian Nutrition Dietary Practice Group, not Vegetarian Resource Group.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 26, 2015 09:48AM

Not into the tofu or cream of wheat. hat is the article stating exactly? That vegans have less calcium?

We need calcium I know, but if you take too much it calcifies the pineal gland I heard that.

Date: January 26, 2015 10:33AM

coconutcream Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not into the tofu or cream of wheat. hat is the
> article stating exactly? That vegans have less
> calcium?
>
> We need calcium I know, but if you take too much
> it calcifies the pineal gland I heard that.

I think the important point is that we can't assume we're getting enough calcium just because we're vegans. We can get enough, but it's not an automatic thing.

Also, there was info around for a long time about animal protein causing calcium to be leeched from the bones. That's possibly not the case, but especially it's not true for plant-based protein.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2015 10:36AM by suncloud.

Date: January 26, 2015 10:46AM

How do cows or monkeys handle this calcium conundrum?

Another question. When I was pregnant, my teeth really suffered. Really bad. Was my body leeching calcium from my teeth and bones? They feel alright now.They just got really soft and I ate a date , bit into a pit by accident and chipped it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2015 10:48AM by coconutcream.

Posted by: Living Food ()
Date: January 26, 2015 03:14PM

Another question. When I was pregnant, my teeth really suffered. Really bad. Was my body leeching calcium from my teeth and bones? They feel alright now.They just got really soft and I ate a date , bit into a pit by accident and chipped it.

That does sound like a malnutrition problem. What kind of diet were you eating at the time?

People can sometimes go for long periods Of time on deficient diets and not show any symptoms, but if they get pregnant the problems show up very soon because now their diet needs to provide enough nutrition for two.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 26, 2015 04:32PM

suncloud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A summary from the Vegetarian Resource Group on
> calcium in vegetarian/vegan diets (To be
> continued, of course - in the ongoing search for
> truth through research, etc.):
>
> [vndpg.org]?
> utm_source=VN+DPG+Members&utm_campaign=467832c137-
> &utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_9209d8a7e7-467832c137
> -39074229

Thanks, Suncloud. This is important information.

I have been making Marcus Rothkrantz's Aloe/Nopales smoothies for the last few days and, as I keep track of my nutrition on Cronometer.com, I can report that (according to them) the lb. of nopales I use in that smoothie each day has 743 mg of calcium, 235 mg of magnesium, 1,165 mg of potassium and 17% of my Lysine RDA for the day, etc. - all packed into a mere 72 calorie serving!!!

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 26, 2015 05:37PM

Calcium problems may not have anything to do with calcium. For example, acidity can weaken/disolve the teeth if not careful. Lack of intake of aminoacids like lysine or arginine can also negatively affect the teeth because those aminoacids help keep the saliva alkaline or something to do with the bacteria. Protein also affects the bone turnover.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: January 26, 2015 06:41PM

Good for you SueZ. I am happy that you are doing that. LIke I mentioned before, drinking about a pound of nopal smoothie daily for about a week really started to heal my gums and teeth, because of the calcium content. I could feel the circulation to my gums and teeth. It might be different for different people, depending on their calcium levels. Plus, I was using bigger leaves. Not sure if bigger leaves means more calcium or if the leaves are alll the same, no matter how small or big they are. Nopal is my go to, when I need to strengthen my teeth, plus fresh comfrey from the garden and a variety of herbs. There are other edible cacti that I feel are very high in minerals.

Nopal is also sold as a powder, for those wanting the calcium that way.

Coconutcream: my mother lost one or two teeth during her first pregnancy. She was forced to take calcium supplements, so she wouldn't lose anymore during that pregnancy. I also have a teacher who said she took a variety of calcium supplements over the years, including coral calcium, and she never got osteoporosis or arthritis, whereas her whole family suffers from those conditions. She said the only thing different that she did was to take a calcium supplement with complementary minerals for bone health. Raw living calcium is the best, but sometimes just a calcium supplement is better than nothing. Panchito makes a good point, too, and there are other minerals that are important too for bones, like silica.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 26, 2015 09:54PM

Thank you, Tai. I remember you saying nopales were very high in calcium but not the rest. I did dehydrate a chopped up lb. of them and used them directly in the VitaMix and they tasted just as good as fresh to me. Where I am they are less than half the cost to buy them whole with thorns so that's what I'm doing. 99 cents a lb.

Powdering dehydrated napales would make it just as easy for parents to hide them in kid's food (if the kids don't care for them), as powdering other dehydrated greens works for that.

Another tip for calcium intake - Red Desert clay. They say on the label that a t. has 20% RDA as I recall.

Date: January 27, 2015 06:04AM

THANK YOU TAI

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables