Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Questions for Arugula
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 16, 2015 08:24PM

Length would be the biggest determinant of fat content. Might be reduced by 50% as a ballpark estimate. This was the best I could find in a quick search:

[www.alivefoods.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: February 16, 2015 09:01PM

arugula Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Length would be the biggest determinant of fat
> content. Might be reduced by 50% as a ballpark
> estimate. This was the best I could find in a
> quick search:
>
> [www.alivefoods.com]
> if

Fat in sesame and sunflower are reduced by about 20% after 2 days according to various studies. Not sure of what temp the sprouting took place, but the tails wouldn't be too long. I assume with chia and it would be similar. Flax needs to be sprouted longer so the fat content would probably be lower.

As for overdosing on omega 3 ALA, one man who consumed 3,000 mg per day (flax oil) over a year started getting bruising. When he cut back slightly he was o.k. He still does flax oil every day l believe (President of the vegetarian society of Hawaii). No known overdose for plant based ALA.

As for lipid peroxidation in flax/chia, that is always a possible problem. Sunflower seed oxidisation is another issue. Not near as bad with sesame.

With fish studies the effects on EPA/DHA are conflicting in humans, and it is thought that maybe the oxidised fats are rendering the good effects of the long chains omega 3's to be useless in some of these studies. No real strong studies on the negative effects of lipid peroxidation in humans, but some pretty nasty studies on their effects with animals.

Lots of unknowns in diet, so do what makes us function and feel good, and if problems arise we need to make changes. It's hard to achieve diet perfection for most of us these days....hard to get fresh food and hard to avoid oxidised fats from omega 3 seeds and shelled sunflower, but good storage planning and buying these seeds immediately after harvest would certainly help.

I do better than ever on a high chia diet. Stress is better managed than ever in my life by a long way. It seems to be working for me. Been doing it for years. When l don't have chia l don't do as well. I am sure there are some oxidised fats in the chia, but l am not going to worry myself about it, l do the best l can under the circumstances.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2015 09:04PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: February 16, 2015 09:09PM

The Sproutarian Man Wrote:

>
> As for overdosing on omega 3 ALA, one man who
> consumed 3,000 mg per day (flax oil) over a year
> started getting bruising. When he cut back
> slightly he was o.k. He still does flax oil every
> day l believe (President of the vegetarian society
> of Hawaii). No known overdose for plant based ALA.
>
>

?? that's only 3 grams

I don't understand why you're always talking about stress?
what is stressing you out?
more a mind thing than dietary.

Date: February 16, 2015 09:39PM

fresh Wrote:
> The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
>
> >
> > As for overdosing on omega 3 ALA, one man who
> > consumed 3,000 mg per day (flax oil) over a
> year
> > started getting bruising. When he cut back
> > slightly he was o.k. He still does flax oil
> every
> > day l believe (President of the vegetarian
> society
> > of Hawaii). No known overdose for plant based
> ALA.
> >
> >
>
> ?? that's only 3 grams
>
>
>
> I don't understand why you're always talking about
> stress?
> what is stressing you out?
> more a mind thing than dietary.

As a natural born stress head, my first priority is on stress management before anything else. Nothing is stressing me out, anymore, and that is my greatest acheivement. I used to worry about everything, now l am cool and calm (took lots of work and a rebirth for it to happen).

Lots of people stress and worry, but the fortunate ones aren't as prone to this.

Date: February 17, 2015 10:46AM

fresh Wrote:
> The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
>
> >
> > As for overdosing on omega 3 ALA, one man who
> > consumed 3,000 mg per day (flax oil) over a
> year
> > started getting bruising. When he cut back
> > slightly he was o.k. He still does flax oil
> every
> > day l believe (President of the vegetarian
> society
> > of Hawaii). No known overdose for plant based
> ALA.
> >
> >
>
> ?? that's only 3 grams

Aha, here we go, here is a quote l dug up from my MASSIVE omega 3 files:

“William Harris, MD, a vegan of 40 years, recently told me about his experiences with taking omega-3s, both ALA and DHA. He said that after taking ALA by way of ground up flaxseeds, 1-2 tsp per day for about 5 years, he started to bruise very easily, and on one occasion in December 2000 the bursa over his left knee spontaneously filled with blood without any previous injury. Thinking this might be due to excess synthesis of EPA from the ALA in the flax, he searched the literature and was able to find one supporting reference from a plastic surgeon, who was advising his face lift patients to stop the flax seed prior to facial surgery.

Harris decided to stop taking flax seeds and the easy bruising went away after 4 weeks. Four years later, after reading about DHA shortage in vegans, he started taking DHA supplements. After taking them for only 4 weeks, the bruising returned. He stopped taking the DHA and the bruising, once again, ceased.

It might be that Dr. Harris is an anomaly, but if anyone finds that they are having easy bruising, it might be best to stop taking or drastically cut back on any omega-3 supplementation

Also note that Dr. Harris eats a very unprocessed diet, low in omega-6’s compared to the average vegan, and that could explain why he converts ALA into EPA more efficiently than your average vegan”

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: February 17, 2015 11:01AM

> Also note that Dr. Harris eats a very unprocessed
> diet, low in omega-6’s compared to the average
> vegan, and that could explain why he converts ALA
> into EPA more efficiently than your average
> vegan”

I suspect it is more likely that he's consumes other plants that contain natural blood thinners that are working in conjunction with the flax oil to cause the bruising. This happened to me when I started taking in more turmeric, and herbs, etc., when I went on the Conductivity Diet.

I think everyone on a raw vegan diet should learn the blood thinning properties of what they eat if they begin to bruise more easily. It's an easy factor to control and an important one.

Date: February 17, 2015 11:09AM

Great feedback Suez, thanks. Makes sense because l have been having far more chia for years with nothing but great results.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: February 17, 2015 11:16AM

> Great feedback Suez, thanks. Makes sense because l
> have been having far more chia for years with
> nothing but great results.

You're welcome, TSM. I like to keep myself at a slightly raised bruisability state to keep my blood thinnish but not too thin to be on the safe side.

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables