Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

castelvetrano olives
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 16, 2015 08:43PM

Does anybody eat these? They are processed, but not with heat. They are soaked in lye to remove the bitterness, then rinsed, then soaked in brine.

I am looking for ways to reduce my consumption of olive oil or eliminate it completely. This type of olive, blended, might be a way to accomplish it.

[www.delallo.com]

It still tastes like olive oil from what people say.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: castelvetrano olives
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: February 16, 2015 08:51PM

not sure if these would work - i'm sure you've seen these before?

[www.sunfood.com]

[www.sunfood.com]

[www.glaserorganicfarms.com]

[www.glaserorganicfarms.com]

Date: February 16, 2015 08:53PM

I am afraid of those for two reasons, 1. they reputedly taste awful, and 2. they are too expensive.

The castelvetranos are reported to taste exactly like a very fine EVOO. Probably because of the lye.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: February 16, 2015 08:57PM

"I am looking for ways to reduce my consumption of olive oil or eliminate it completely."

Why so?

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] - "Using crude EVOO phenolic extracts highly enriched in the secoiridoids oleuropein aglycon and decarboxymethyl oleuropein aglycon, we show for the first time that (1) the anticancer activity of EVOO secoiridoids is related to the activation of anti-aging/cellular stress-like gene signatures, including endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress and the unfolded protein response, spermidine and polyamine metabolism, sirtuin-1 (SIRT1) and NRF2 signaling; (2) EVOO secoiridoids activate AMPK and suppress crucial genes involved in the Warburg effect and the self-renewal capacity of "immortal" cancer stem cells; (3) EVOO secoiridoids prevent age-related changes in the cell size, morphological heterogeneity, arrayed cell arrangement and senescence-associated ?-galactosidase staining of normal diploid human fibroblasts at the end of their proliferative lifespans. EVOO secoiridoids, which provide an effective defense against plant attack by herbivores and pathogens, are bona fide xenohormetins that are able to activate the gerosuppressor AMPK and trigger numerous resveratrol-like anti-aging transcriptomic signatures. As such, EVOO secoiridoids constitute a new family of plant-produced gerosuppressant agents that molecularly "repair" the aimless (and harmful) AMPK/mTOR-driven quasi-program that leads to aging and aging-related diseases, including cancer."

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] - "Mono-unsaturated fatty acids and various phenolic compounds, such as oleocanthal, oleuropein, hydroxytyrosol, and tyrosol, are the main nutraceutical substances of EVOO. These substances have been suggested to have the ability to modulate aging-associated processes. In experimental models, it has been shown that EVOO with high concentrations of polyphenols has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. Indeed, it was observed that hydroxytyrosol and oleocanthal inhibit the cyclooxygenases (COX-1 and -2) responsible for prostaglandin production; oleuropein is a radical scavenger that blocks the oxidation of low-density lipoproteins."

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] - "Significant lifespan extension was observed at one specific tyrosol concentration, which also induced a higher resistance to thermal and oxidative stress and delayed the appearance of a biomarker of ageing. We also report that, although tyrosol was efficiently taken up by these nematodes, it did not induce changes in development, body length or reproduction. In addition, lifespan experiments with several mutant strains revealed that components of the heat shock response (HSF-1) and the insulin pathway (DAF-2 and DAF-16) might be implicated in mediating tyrosol effects in lifespan, while caloric restriction and sirtuins do not seem to mediate its effects. Together, our results point to hormesis as a possible mechanism to explain the effects of tyrosol on longevity in C. elegans."

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] - "Moreover, continuous treatment of early passage human embryonic fibroblasts with oleuropein decreases the intracellular levels of reactive oxygen species (ROS), reduces the amount of oxidized proteins through increased proteasome-mediated degradation rates and retains proteasome function during replicative senescence. Importantly, oleuropein-treated cultures exhibit a delay in the appearance of senescence morphology and their life span is extended by approximately 15%."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2015 08:57PM by jtprindl.

Date: February 16, 2015 09:05PM

It's the phenolics, not the oil. Nuts are healthier than olive oil, olives are healthier than olive oil.

Guasch-Ferre M, Bullo M, Martinez-Gonzalez MA, et al: Frequency of nut consumption and mortality risk in the PREDIMED nutrition intervention trial. BMC Med 2013;11:164.

Vogel RA, Corretti MC, Plotnick GD, The postprandial effect of components of the Mediterranean diet on endothelial function,J Am Coll Cardiol. 2000 Nov 1;36(5):1455-60.

Blankenhorn DH, Johnson RL, Mack WJ, el Zein HA, Vailas LI., The influence of diet on the appearance of new lesions in human coronary arteries. JAMA. 1990 Mar 23-30;263(12):1646-52.

LF, Bladbjerg EM, Jespersen J, Marckmann P., Effects of dietary fat quality and quantity on postprandial activation of blood coagulation factor VII. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 1997 Nov;17(11):2904-9

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: February 16, 2015 09:07PM

"It's the phenolics, not the oil. Nuts are healthier than olive oil, olives are healthier than olive oil."

Maybe the oil is a more concentrated source of these phytochemicals than olives is? Either way, the oil is showing beneficial results. It may not be the fat, but if the fat contains lots of potent phytochemicals, then the product overall seems to be a healthy choice (in moderation).

Date: February 16, 2015 09:26PM

It's a good question and the amounts per kg of either the oil or the fruit are similar: 200-400 mg/kg.

A good way to estimate the phenolic content is bitterness--

bitter=more phenolics.

But now consider the calorie costs

1 kg olives vs 1 kg olive oil.

olives: 1450 kcal
olive oil: 8840 kcal

Olives deliver approx. 6x more phenolics per calorie than olive oil.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: February 16, 2015 09:29PM

I have bought the raw dried olives from Essential Living foods and the ones from the Raw food world. I think both are from Peru. They are both good, but I prefer the ones from Essential LIving foods more. Yet, since they are both raw, I buy whichever ones are on sale and stock up.

The pitted raw ones are ready to be blended or eaten.
The non-pitted ones require slight rehydration. I let them soak overnight in the refrigerator.

I truly like the raw dehydrated olives occasionally and after eating them, I don't want to eat the other kinds. They seem to be brushed a bit in olive oil with some added salt, though, but not much.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: February 18, 2015 06:49AM

The latest discussions have been about olive oil or coconut oil, I totally forgot about the real thing, olives. They do exist.

Thank for the reference, I will order some from Essential Living foods. If I can eat some real olives I do not have to worry about the oil being really extra virgin.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 19, 2015 06:02AM

arugula

what about the lye
is that cause for concern for you

Date: February 19, 2015 11:35AM

No, I am not afraid they rinse it out and the final product is pH 4.0+/- 0.5 or so.

Date: February 20, 2015 10:08PM

arugula

isn't that like rinsing out vinegar from mushrooms that have been marinating in vinegar for several days ... or washing out soy sauce from tofu that has been saturated with soy sauce

how do they "rinse out" stuff from every fiber of the interior of the food ( not just the surface)

seems like a job for ....

batman

Date: February 20, 2015 10:44PM

LaV, if the final pH is 4.0 it is essentially gone. Since pH scale represents powers of 10, the difference between lye (pH 13) and the finished olive (pH4) is that 0.000000001 as alkaline as pure lye Anyway I found them at my local independent grocer. They taste very FRESH! I never had an olive taste so fresh. Fruity. Not briny at all, and screamingly green.

Date: February 21, 2015 07:18AM

arugula

i understand your deduction but i just don't understand how they could eliminate the lye chemical from every fiber of the olive... that's all

maybe they hire...

spiderman

sounds like magic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables