Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Questions for John Rose
Posted by: Tai ()
Date: February 24, 2015 06:48PM

John Rose wrote:
Unfortunately, the Chemical Revolution has made Water Fasting dangerous for many people, so it's best to Modify a Water Fast by drinking a gallon or more of Vegetable Juice a day for the appropriate length of time, which for most people over 40 would be around 3 months or so.

Tai:
Hi John, I have a few questions.
1) Herbalist Richard Schulze recommends one ounce of liquid per pound of body weight while undergoing a liquid diet/juice fast. This would make sense if someone is really short or really tall. Even though, he also said to consume at least one gallon a day, if one is very sick, and to be exclusively on liquids. THe wiggle room he gives is that one is allowed to dilute juices with water, so that one never has to force in the juice. I have a friend that followed Schulze's program and juice fasted for 7 months and was healed of liver cancer. He was somewhat tall, so he drank one gallon of juice and one gallon of water/broth/tea daily. Just wondered what you thought of Schulze's method.
2) What do you think of the Gerson program (only the vegan aspect of it--forget about the animal parts, the liver and animals enzymes)? They have people drink 3.5 quarts of juice daily, plus eat 3 meals. This would make sense for someone really skinny.
3) On your program, do you have a database of calories for juice, so you can regulate how many calories one is consuming? Are people guaranteed to lose weight or can you control that on a 3 month juice fast?
4) WHat kind of activity do you recommend on your juice fast, given that someone might lose a lot of weight?
5) What is your take on citrus juice. I read in Dr. FLora's pdf about Ann wigmore that she warned against orange juice for bone health. I am in California, and I am surrounded by great citrus (sweet and not acidic). It's so easy to drink a quart of citrus juice daily. I was taken aback by Esselstyn's warning not to drink fruit juice. I noticed a healthier difference when I blended greens with citrus juice, but blending is supposed to oxidize the juice. I can also simply stir green juice into citrus juice. I bring up citrus, because herbalist John Christopher would have people fast on citrus juice for a week. I think citrus is so unique compared to other fruit juices, because it is so plentiful and so easy to juice. Still, I sometimes prefer to cut citrus juice with something else, like watermelon or cantaloupe or green juice.
6) My last question is about juicers. Gerson recommended a press, but to save time, I use both a twin gear and a centrifugal both in the same day. I can't spend all day pushing little bits through my twin gear. So I often use the centrifugal first and then take the pulp and run it through the twin gear. What do you think of that? I don't always do that, but I do when there is a ton to juice.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions for John Rose
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: February 24, 2015 07:42PM

John will provide the correct answer but I will like to comment on the juicer part.
I know it is written that juice can last in fridge for hours or days but I always consider juice to be very perishable, oxidizing very quickly. So my philosophy has always been to juice a glass and drink it while I am preparing or juicing the rest of the greens.

I would not do that, juicing thru a centrifugal first and then a twin gear juicers, too many steps, too many possibilities of oxidization.

Also during juicing to make the pulp dry and pass thru the juicer easily I will mix green with tough fiber with those with soft. Like cucumber and pea greens, or celery and sunflower greens, or celery and buckwheat greens.

The pulp that comes out of my twin gear juicer is very dry because of the way I mix the greens and I do not juice more than 2 greens at the same time.

Hydraulic press juicers are the best but they cost and require time and effort to juice. But if the juice is fresh from a twin gear or single auger juicer but easier to make then it is better than a juice that is difficult to make or take a long time to make from an hydraulic press.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2015 07:51PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: February 24, 2015 08:47PM

RawP wrote:
I would not do that, juicing thru a centrifugal first and then a twin gear juicers, too many steps, too many possibilities of oxidization.

Tai:
I used to only use the twin gear. But when it would take me so long to make one quart of juice, such as when I was juicing things like yam, carrot, beet (hard roots), I considered that I was taking too long, since the Gerson program says to drink the juice within 15 minutes of making it. I was spending more than 15 minutes pressing one quart. So, I started to juice the roots through a centrifugal which was very fast and then put the pulp through a twin gear in about 5 minutes. So, then I wondered if my method actually reduced oxidation because the juice is exposed to air for less time. I don't think it's good for greens, obviously. Wheatgrass is best juiced in a single auger for less foam.

Date: February 24, 2015 09:12PM

You are right, reducing the juicing time is the best approach, even if it takes two juicers to do it.

For me going to juice is like going to eat. By the time I finish juicing and cleaning the juicer, there is very little juice left to drink.

Date: February 24, 2015 09:20PM

Also just to add in passing...
I feel mixing other juices enhances plain fresh orange juice, for example, garnet yam or green juice or watermelon versus just plain orange juice for a balanced person. (The exception would be if someone is sick and full of mucous).

When I used to have phlegm in my throat, plain orange juice was so healing. Later, with no phlegm, I started to feel somewhat an irritation in my eyes with a lot of orange juice. I started to believe Esselstyn about juice.

But when I make a blend of citrus, it feels very soothing and healing to my eyes:
blood orange, cara cara, navel orange, yellow grapefruit (very ripe). The colors are exquisite.

Has Esselstyn made a distinction between raw fresh fruit juice versus pasteurized?

Date: February 24, 2015 09:29PM

Mixing juices is fine especially after juicing.
I do not drink pasteurized juice.
pasteurized vs raw is same as cooked vs raw

There are two criteria for my juices.

1. Raw and fresh
2. Drink them within 30 minutes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2015 09:30PM by RawPracticalist.

Posted by: Vitality ()
Date: February 25, 2015 05:12AM

Just for your information, things that happen during a fast when no nourishment at all is taken, cannot happen, even on the most prolonged juice-/vegetable diets. Water fasting puts the body into a completely unique physiological state which cannot be reached if any nourhishment at all is taken, according to Alan Goldhamer, even a little juice will slow down the elimination of excessive salts etc in the system.

Remember that water fasting is not only about getting the body clean. Certain changes that occur occurs only in water fasting, for example, I was having "cow legs" all my life but after only two weeks fasting on water my legs straightened out, I noticed other corrections of bone structure in my body during my fast. I doubt that a juice fast could ever do that. Also a juice fast will weaken the digestive system, because juices are so diluted so the body gets worse at picking up nutrients.

To say that a juice fast, longer, is just as good or almost as good as a waterfast, that is really to trick oneself and I'm sure that anybody with experience in water fasting (either being a spectator or personal experience) will agree with me.

Date: February 25, 2015 05:26AM

Vitality wrote:
I'm sure that anybody with experience in water fasting (either being a spectator or personal experience) will agree with me.

Tai:
DOn't quote me on this, because I may have misunderstood him or heard him wrong, but Brian Clement told me he oversaw 10,000 people on water fasts in Scandanavia (I believe Sweden). He said at the end of the fasts, they looked worse and he understood that most people are mineral and vitamin deficient, so in his mind, juice fasting makes much more sense.

Vitality, what an amazing story you have. You have to document every little detail of your fast before you forget. What are cow legs? DId you take before and after photos?

Robert Morse had a case of a man whose bones straightened out on a fruit diet with herbs. You had a great case, but that is not the only way. There was great risk doing your water fast with no supervision. Look at how many cases of people standing up and passing out and hitting their heads or chipping their teeth.

Date: February 25, 2015 05:45AM

Tai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vitality wrote:
> I'm sure that anybody with experience in water
> fasting (either being a spectator or personal
> experience) will agree with me.
>
> Tai:
> DOn't quote me on this, because I may have
> misunderstood him or heard him wrong, but Brian
> Clement told me he oversaw 10,000 people on water
> fasts in Scandanavia (I believe Sweden). He said
> at the end of the fasts, they looked worse and he
> understood that most people are mineral and
> vitamin deficient, so in his mind, juice fasting
> makes much more sense.
>
> Vitality, what an amazing story you have. You have
> to document every little detail of your fast
> before you forget. What are cow legs? DId you
> take before and after photos?
>
> Robert Morse had a case of a man whose bones
> straightened out on a fruit diet with herbs. You
> had a great case, but that is not the only way.
> There was great risk doing your water fast with no
> supervision. Look at how many cases of people
> standing up and passing out and hitting their
> heads or chipping their teeth.

Wow that sounds amazing if that is the case. But you do look "worse" at the end of a waterfast because the body is saving all the energy. The real benefits is actually seen when you build up yourself again, because the skin gets more solid and more shiny.

Yes thats why fasts shall always be in supervision so that you don't run out of minerals or vitamins, I believe I actually ran out in the end and I had some complications after the fast actually (which was related to aggressive eating) but it solved out.

I'm going to try a calorie restriction diet soon because I want to train my body to go around on very little food. But I seriously doubt I will have the self-control because even a little juice puts body in starvation mode and makes you feel so hungry, that is my own experience anyway.

You don't look "good" when you are emaciated, I weighed about 88 pounds at the end and how the hell could I look good? But my skin was soft as babyskin and my hair was thick and soft as well. And when I ate myself up, the benefits was absolutely clear. And even then, I think the best benefits was pure mental, because I fasted for mental reasons and not for physical reasons.

There is always a danger in shower etc during water fasting and during the last two weeks of my water fast, I seriously could not shower. Because I was a bit shaky on my legs and after a shower, I would feel seriously exhausted. I was so desperate before I went in on a fast and I was not scared at all but now afterwards, when I read from modern fasting experts that you actually can RUN out of mineral/vitamin defiencies before "natural hunger" returns made me thoughtful. I would not go on a prolonged fast again, unsupervised.

I have no photos of my legs during the fast because it was a totally unexpected benefit, I was shocked when I saw myself in the mirror and saw that my legs had straightened out. There was also more shocking benefits I never expected to happen. But with that said, there was also things that did not heal, for example, a visual disorder (when I look at the right my vision gets double) and a injury to the bone in my nose did not heal. And I guess the body got some priorities so not everything heals up.

Date: February 25, 2015 06:29AM

Vitality wrote:
for example, I was having "cow legs" all my life but after only two weeks fasting on water my legs straightened out,

Tai:
Can you explain what exactly was wrong with your legs before? Was it cartilage, bone, muscle or tendon or everything? Two weeks is a remarkable healing time.

Date: February 25, 2015 06:41AM

My knee was a bit "loose" on both legs and the leg was not straight, being a bit curved at the knee and below. This straightened out completely and it was completely straight on day 14. I have seen others reporting the same. The body feels a lot more flexible, atheletic after the fast and I'm not an athletic guy

Date: February 25, 2015 07:08AM

Bowlegged. I was. That was the word..

Date: February 25, 2015 07:56AM

Vitality,
I am fascinated by your story, and I want to know more.
How tall are you? How old are you? Just asking because you said you dropped to 88 lbs. How much do you weigh now? When did your fast end?
What made you choose 40 days to fast? Was it spiritually driven? Did you pray? What kind of water did you drink? How much did you drink?
what does your mother say about your legs?

Date: February 25, 2015 08:25AM

Tai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vitality,
> I am fascinated by your story, and I want to know
> more.
> How tall are you? How old are you? Just asking
> because you said you dropped to 88 lbs. How much
> do you weigh now? When did your fast end?
> What made you choose 40 days to fast? Was it
> spiritually driven? Did you pray? What kind of
> water did you drink? How much did you drink?
> what does your mother say about your legs?

I try to PM you but your box is full.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: February 26, 2015 01:25AM

John, my question would be, can you make a youtube video of your room tour? I want to see how you live.

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: February 26, 2015 08:24PM

Tai wrote:

<<<Hi John, I have a few questions.
1) Herbalist Richard Schulze recommends one ounce of liquid per pound of body weight while undergoing a liquid diet/juice fast. This would make sense if someone is really short or really tall. Even though, he also said to consume at least one gallon a day … Just wondered what you thought of Schulze's method.>>>

Schulze's recommendation for “one ounce of liquid per pound of body weight” and to “consume at least one gallon a day” is a good rule of thumb that I also use. However, some juices are very low in calories and it’s not just the quantity of juice we need to drink every day, which is needed to rehydrate and flush the old stuff out of our intestines, but we also don’t want to lose any Lean Body Mass by keeping our relatively Small Carbohydrate Fuel Tank Full and that means that we need a minimal amount of calories.

To illustrate my point, carrots have about 205 calories per pint and cucumber and celery only have about 78 and 91 calories per pint, respectively, so if we use cucumber and celery as our base with our leafy greens, we're going to come up about 600 calories shy per gallon, as compared to using carrots as our base with our leafy greens!

So if we’re using cucumber and celery as our base with our leafy greens, we might need one and a half gallons a day, as opposed to only one gallon a day and that’s assuming no activity. And then, the type and duration of activity will determine if we need to drink another pint or even possibly another gallon of juice a day!

<<<2) What do you think of the Gerson program.>>>

I often times use a Modified Version of the Gerson Protocol whenever I coach people with cancer and I’m a big fan of Gerson, however, Charlotte has not changed her dad’s Protocol very much and I’ve always had a feeling that Max would have made more changes had he not been MURDERED, especially the use of potatoes as they are too starchy and interfere with cleaning out our intestines.

<<<3) On your program, do you have a database of calories for juice, so you can regulate how many calories one is consuming?>>>

Yes.

<<<Are people guaranteed to lose weight or can you control that on a 3 month juice fast?>>>

There are no guarantees, but since most people NEED to lose weight, most people do. However, if you are underweight, you will actually gain weight on a Juice Feast!

<<<4) WHat kind of activity do you recommend on your juice fast, given that someone might lose a lot of weight?>>>

Obviously, we want to Satisfy all of our Essential Needs and Exercise is one of them and the type of activity depends on several factors. The best activity is the one you like so you look forward to doing it and it makes you happy. The general rule of thumb for really sick people depends on how much Energy and Vitality they have. If they have the Energy, walking is one of the best ways to be active, but if you feel tired and weak, then we need to rest and sleep. And then for those who are unable or unwilling to Exercise for whatever reason, I encourage them to do Deep Breathing Exercises as to stimulate their Lymph System.

A common question that I get asked while coaching has to do with lifting weights and I always give them the same analogy. If your house were to burn down, it would be best to devote all of your energy to cleaning away the rubbish before you start rebuilding. This of course does not mean that the two cannot be done at the same time, but it does raise an interesting point.

<<<5) What is your take on citrus juice.>>>

Citrus juice is one of the few juices I caution people about since most of our produce is picked too soon and citrus is one of the few fruits that do not ripen after it’s picked. For this reason, we should never use citrus unless it’s organic because they inject the peel with dyes and it’s impossible to visually determine whether or not it’s ripe. Obviously, everything should be organic, but some people can’t afford to buy everything organic, so like everything else related to food, there are better bad choices.

<<<6) My last question is about juicers. Gerson recommended a press, but to save time, I use both a twin gear and a centrifugal both in the same day. I can't spend all day pushing little bits through my twin gear. So I often use the centrifugal first and then take the pulp and run it through the twin gear. What do you think of that? I don't always do that, but I do when there is a ton to juice.>>>

Yes, time is a factor and we have to be practical, but there are other issues with centrifugal juicers and I’ll let the Gerson people explain this in more detail. Unfortunately, the first link below does not work.

[www.gerson.org]
Q The juicing is so tedious, with all the grinding and pressing. Isn't there an easier and faster way, or a cheaper juicer that I could use?

A Dr. Gerson said in his address to a group assembled in Escondido, California in 1956: "At first I thought that liquefiers would be the most wonderful thing. All the material was there, nothing was lost. But it didn't work." The rotating blade gives rise to a "dynamo effect", causing electricity to be generated, thus killing enzymes. The same is true of centrifugal juicers. Juices must be made by grinding the vegetables first, mixing them, and then pressing them in a press. We have come across cancer patients who tried to heal themselves on the Gerson Therapy using a centrifugal juicer, but they experienced no improvement. When they tried the Therapy with a Champion juicer, they did well. More seriously ill patients still need the grinding plus pressing type of juicer like the Norwalk to properly heal. In response to a question from a patient about the two step juicing process, Dr. Gerson wrote that "the malic acid (contained in the apples) mixed with the ground carrots helps to release the minerals from the carrots." In other words, it is necessary to first grind the apples and carrots together into a bowl, using a grinder. Norwalk, K&K or Champion juicers can all be used as grinders, but the Champion cannot be used as a press. The ground materials are mixed and then the mixture is placed in a press cloth and put under pressure in the Norwalk or K&K press. This process produces the best extraction, that is richest in minerals, and best in taste. Juice produced by the Champion juicer alone separates into a transparent liquid at the bottom and mush on top after a very short time. This juice is also harder for the patient to drink because of the particles, and is not as rich and homogeneous in nutrients. More recently the Green Power juicer was introduced. It does a better job of extraction than the Champion when used as a juicer, but it offers no way (as the Champion does) to block the juicing action. It is impossible to use the Green Power juicer solely as a grinder, as it grinds and juices in one operation. While it extracts juice quite efficiently, it does not fulfill Dr. Gerson's requirement of mixing the ground apples and carrots thoroughly before pressing.
[www.gerson.org]

Here is a link that does work…

[gerson.org]
Juicers
Posted by The Gerson Institute on Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Gerson Guide to Juicers

Unsuitable Juicers

Centrifugal Juicers

In our experience, centrifugal juicers are wholly incompatible with the Gerson Therapy. Though they are often the most popular and least expensive juicers on the market, we do not recommend using a centrifugal juicer for any condition. Dr. Gerson found that in his many years of clinical experience, patients who used centrifugal juicers did not have success with the Therapy. Centrifugal juicers are problematic for several reasons. The centrifugal force throws the pulp against a basket screen through which the juice is strained, while the pulp remains. Dr. Gerson said of centrifugal juicers:

“When the grinding wheel rotates against a resistance with insufficient access of air, positive electricity is produced and induces negative electricity on the surrounding wall. The exchange of positive and negative ions kills the oxidizing enzymes and renders the juice deficient.” – Dr. Max Gerson, MD

Centrifugal juicers expose the juice to heat and oxygen, killing off the essential healing enzymes in the juice. These juicers have difficulty in juicing leafy greens, as is required for the Gerson Therapy green juice. Without the pressing action to extract the juice, many minerals and phytochemicals remain in the pulp, so the juice rendered is less rich in healing nutrients than juice from grinder/press or masticating juicers.

Centrifugal force is less effective in extracting juice than the pressing action of other juicers, meaning that more produce is required to make less juice. When a patient is making 13 juices per day, this alone is a major consideration. An inefficient juicer may be cheaper in the short term, but will be more expensive in the long run, as it necessitates spending more money on produce.

The following centrifugal juicers are not recommended for the Gerson Therapy:

• Jack LaLanne’s Power Juicer
• Breville Juice Fountain
• Omega (centrifugal models)
• Hamilton Beach Juice Extractor
• Black & Decker Juice Extractor

[gerson.org]

Peace and Love.......John

Date: February 26, 2015 08:52PM

John, thanks so much.
What water do you recommend on the liquid diet/juice fast?

John, have you ever juiced a whole cantaloupe or watermelon? I understand Gerson's point very well, but it's hard for me to grasp why it would be bad for melons. It's so quick for melons. Why isn't better when it's much faster...less oxidation using a centrifugal? I don't think melons are part of the Gerson program, so some things like this were a non-issue. All the veggies and fruits (apples) really were best in the press or twin gear for the Gerson therapy.

Thanks a lot!

Posted by: NuNativs ()
Date: February 26, 2015 09:00PM

coconut cream wrote:
"John, my question would be, can you make a youtube video of your room tour? I want to see how you live."

that's hilarious!

Posted by: tezcal ()
Date: February 26, 2015 10:25PM

what happens if one doesn't juice enough calories on a juice fast, john?

i am confused on that bit. its difficult for me to drink a gallon or more of juice a day, and i don't even juice carrots. by the end of the day i look at my gallon of juice and want to throw it out of the window. some people do well on water fasts it seems, though because of my work schedule i'm not able to attempt this. some people also do well on calorie restricted diets. in your work coaching people through their juice fasts, does drinking maybe half a gallon a day make a big difference with the results?

Date: February 28, 2015 11:36PM

bump to add a question for john to the one above

what kind of juicer do you own, john?

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: March 01, 2015 09:24PM

I would love to see a video of John Rose's ROOM TOUR Thats my request. YOu dont have to clean up..or an OFFICE tour, or a closet tour like Freelee did. Your clothes and where you got each one.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2015 09:31PM by coconutcream.

Date: March 03, 2015 05:38AM

tezcal ()

what kind of juicer do you own, john?

Tai:
He owns a green star, as of his 2009 video. I just heard it. I have a green star. I like it, especially because of its adjustable knob that controls the pulp ejection. My angel juicer does not have an adjustable knob, so I have to clean it more often, but it gets out more calcium from the greens. Green star is very versatile.

VITALITY, hey, your mailbox is full! I can't respond until you delete your messages.

Date: March 03, 2015 03:12PM

Tai wrote:

<<<What water do you recommend on the liquid diet/juice fast?>>>

In most cases, there is no need to drink water while on a Juice Fast as we are already getting the BEST quality water from the juices. However, if one does need more liquids for whatever reason, RO is usually good enough, unless they’re having kidney problems and that’s when we would want to use distilled water, which is also OK as long as it’s not purchased in plastic containers.

<<<John, have you ever juiced a whole cantaloupe or watermelon? It's so quick for melons.>>>

You bet! Cantaloupe Juice tastes like a Vanilla Shake to me, but a lot of pulp makes its way through the Juicer’s screen, so we have to especially strain Cantaloupe Juice.

<<<Why isn't better when it's much faster...less oxidation using a centrifugal?>>>

Yes, time is a factor, but so are those fast moving blades that whip air into the Juice. There’s also the issue of electricity that Gerson talks about in my post above.

coconut cream wrote:

<<<John, my question would be, can you make a youtube video of your room tour? I want to see how you live.>>>

I’ll work on that one and in the meantime, imagine lots of books and indoor plants.

Tezcal wrote:

<<<what kind of juicer do you own, john?>>>

As Tai mentioned above, I have a Green Star or more specifically, it’s the Green Power Gold.

<<<what happens if one doesn't juice enough calories on a juice fast, john?>>>

If we don’t get enough calories, which are Macro-Nutrients, then we probably will not get enough Micro-Nutrients also and if we don’t get enough Carbohydrates, Gluconeogenesis kicks in and we might lose some Lean Body Mass.

Here is an OLD Post of mine from 2000 that answers your question in more detail, as well as your next question.

[www.living-foods.com]
This is a very complicated answer, Joe, but I'll try to keep it simple.
John Rose
5-8-00

The average man of 150 pounds has a maximum carbohydrate storage capacity of about 1500 calories, most of which is stored in the liver and in the muscles in the form of glycogen. At rest, two thirds (60%) of the calories that we burn are fat, so if you're not very active, it shouldn't be very hard to top off your carb. tank daily. Fruits are the best foods to fuel your carbohydrate fuel tank, because they are app. 90% carbohydrates. Obviously, if you are still toxic, you may still have problems with fruit, which is not a reflection on the fruit, but instead it's a reflection on your own state of health. Vegetables are also high in carbs, but they are higher in protein, so their carb % is lower and they are on the average about half the total calories of fruits. It's very difficult to get a whole lot of carb calories from a salad, which is why I'm such a big fan of vegetable juices. Carrot juice is 205 calories per pint, spinach is 150, parsley 243 and celery is only 91. In contrast, fruit juices per pint vary from watermelon - 138, apples - 320, pears - 287 and grapes - 289.

If you are active, it gets a little complicated, but as long as you are eating fruits with their 90% carbohydrate %, and you eat at least two thirds of the total calories that you burn, then there's a real good chance that you will have topped off your carb tank. It's very hard to burn more than 60% of your total calories as carbs - (i.e. 67% times 90% = 60.3%). If you're really active, it's best not to take any chances and consume 80-90% of your total caloric expenditure (i.e. 90% times 90% = 81%). It's impossible to burn more than 81% of your total calories as carbs.

One reason why I'm not a big fan of a one day water fast (I prefer Juice Fasting if only for one day) is because when you wake up, your carbohydrate fuel tank might be on empty. This will not happen on a Juice Fast as long as you drink enough. The real benefits of water fasting - autolysis or self-digestion does not take place until day 4. This means that gluconeogenesis kicks in to meet your carbohydrate needs, and now you will risk losing muscle. I still believe in fasting, both water and juices, but don't confuse the two.

The only tricky part is when our carbohydrate fuel tank is low, either from a one to three day water fast, a SAD, or a low calorie intake on an active day. The SAD provides 40-50% of its calories from carbohydrates, which is why most people lose muscle when they try to lose weight from choosing portion control instead of food selection. This is why vegan and raw food diets are so effective for weight loss.

It's also important to emphasis that eating is not the same as absorbing. Just because it's going in our mouth doesn't mean that it's getting to our cells. Once again, a good reason why fasting is the best preparation for a better way of life.

To sum it up, it really shouldn't be any harder for us to figure out what to eat than it is for a deer. The only difference is that most humans don't know the difference between true hunger and a withdrawal symptom, so it's very difficult to obey the first law of eating - Eat Only When You Are Hungry. True hunger should be a watering of the mouth, and not an all gone feeling in the stomach. If you still feel hunger in your stomach, then you need to fast. Any discomfort, including lack of appetite, is Nature's way of telling you to take a food vacation.
[www.living-foods.com]

<<<in your work coaching people through their juice fasts, does drinking maybe half a gallon a day make a big difference with the results?>>>

Yes, it makes a huge difference.

If we only drink half a gallon of Juice a day, we …

1. … will kick in Gluconeogenesis and will probably lose some Lean Body Mass;
2. … won’t have any Energy;
3. … will not be able to work or function very well;
4. … won’t have enough eliminations and will be more prone to Cleansing Reactions, especially headaches.

Interestingly, one of my students got his Masters in Raw Food Nutrition at the Tree of Life after he worked with me and as part of the curriculum; he had to do a Juice Fast where they only drink half a gallon of Juice a day. He told me that he and almost everyone had Cleansing Reactions and that employees at the Tree were not allowed to do a Juice Fast and work at the same time for this very reason. Gabriel’s rationale is based on Paavo Airola where Paavo mistakenly believed that Autolysis kicks in on a Juice Fast and is, therefore, more cleansing. However, this is simply NOT True. Autolysis does NOT kick in on a Juice Fast and there is actually less cleansing and more Cleansing Reactions since the bowel is NOT moving like it should be moving.

Everyone I have worked with who does NOT drink enough Juice ALWAYS struggles as they don’t have hardly any BMs, they don’t have near enough Energy and they don’t feel very well.

Peace and Love.......John

Date: March 04, 2015 01:06AM

thanks john. i just received my green star and i'm three days into a fast! do you have an email i can ask you a few more questions with? your inbox here is full.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2015 01:17AM by tezcal.

Date: March 04, 2015 01:59AM

Hey tezcal,

Click on my name for my email.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: March 04, 2015 03:40AM

John, how much juice does the average person drink on your juice feasts?

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: March 05, 2015 10:12PM

What are the top three juicers for greens?

Date: March 05, 2015 10:50PM

i feel much more nourished on my fast than the previous ones i've attempted now that i have a green star. i get so much more juice out of the same produce than my previous juicer or the juicer that we use at my work (nutrifaster)

Date: March 18, 2015 03:02PM

tezcal wrote:

<<<i feel much more nourished on my fast than the previous ones i've attempted now that i have a green star. i get so much more juice out of the same produce than my previous juicer or the juicer that we use at my work (nutrifaster)>>>

That's great feedback - thanks for sharing!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables