Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Extra-virgin olive oil useless? Not so fast
Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: March 01, 2015 04:55AM

Disclaimer: Not promoting an oil-based diet but rather acknowledging the benefits of high-quality extra-virgin olive oil.

Extra-virgin olive oil

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] - "The health benefits of the Mediterranean diet can be largely ascribed to the nutraceutical properties of extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO). Mono-unsaturated fatty acids and various phenolic compounds, such as oleocanthal, oleuropein, hydroxytyrosol, and tyrosol, are the main nutraceutical substances of EVOO. These substances have been suggested to have the ability to modulate aging-associated processes. In experimental models, it has been shown that EVOO with high concentrations of polyphenols has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. Indeed, it was observed that hydroxytyrosol and oleocanthal inhibit the cyclooxygenases (COX-1 and -2) responsible for prostaglandin production; oleuropein is a radical scavenger that blocks the oxidation of low-density lipoproteins."

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] - "Using crude EVOO phenolic extracts highly enriched in the secoiridoids oleuropein aglycon and decarboxymethyl oleuropein aglycon, we show for the first time that (1) the anticancer activity of EVOO secoiridoids is related to the activation of anti-aging/cellular stress-like gene signatures, including endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress and the unfolded protein response, spermidine and polyamine metabolism, sirtuin-1 (SIRT1) and NRF2 signaling; (2) EVOO secoiridoids activate AMPK and suppress crucial genes involved in the Warburg effect and the self-renewal capacity of "immortal" cancer stem cells; (3) EVOO secoiridoids prevent age-related changes in the cell size, morphological heterogeneity, arrayed cell arrangement and senescence-associated ?-galactosidase staining of normal diploid human fibroblasts at the end of their proliferative lifespans. EVOO secoiridoids, which provide an effective defense against plant attack by herbivores and pathogens, are bona fide xenohormetins that are able to activate the gerosuppressor AMPK and trigger numerous resveratrol-like anti-aging transcriptomic signatures. As such, EVOO secoiridoids constitute a new family of plant-produced gerosuppressant agents that molecularly "repair" the aimless (and harmful) AMPK/mTOR-driven quasi-program that leads to aging and aging-related diseases, including cancer."

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] (Biological activities of phenolic compounds present in virgin olive oil)

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] - "Extra virgin olive oil has been associated with a reduced incidence of risk factors for coronary heart disease also owing to the presence of antioxidant biophenols. This study compared the protective effects of tyrosol and hydroxytyrosol, two biophenols greatly different in antioxidant power, on J774 A.1-mediated oxidation of LDL... In spite of its weak antioxidant activity, tyrosol was effective in preserving cellular antioxidant defences, probably by intracellular accumulation. These findings give further evidence in favour of olive oil consumption to counteract cardiovascular diseases."

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] - "After 12 weeks of EVOO consumption, the capacity of HDL to mediate CE was improved and the ability of HMDM to release excess cholesterol was enhanced by increasing the expression of ABCA1 and ABCG1 transporters."

[www.biomedcentral.com] - "Olive oil consumption, specifically the extra-virgin variety, is associated with reduced risks of cardiovascular disease and mortality in individuals at high cardiovascular risk."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2015 04:55AM by jtprindl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Extra-virgin olive oil useless? Not so fast
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: March 01, 2015 07:10AM

I guess there are real commitments in promoting olive oil as food when it is not.
Nobody will ever be satisfied drinking olive oil when hungry.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 01, 2015 07:45AM

EVOO makes a good lubricant.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: March 01, 2015 02:33PM

jtprindl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] -
> "Using crude EVOO phenolic extracts highly
> enriched
in the secoiridoids oleuropein aglycon
> and decarboxymethyl oleuropein aglycon, we show ...

EVOO is already an extract. That means they are using an extract of an extract and then they enrich it with chemicals. Essentially, it is a cocentrated chemical liquid. That is quite different than what people buy at the store.

Posted by: mattscr ()
Date: March 01, 2015 03:21PM

Why not? Extra Virgin Olive Oil is good for you anyway. And it helps you absorb the lipid-soluble compounds in a plant-based diet. I think I shared a study on here before showing that vegans / raw foodists have very little lycopene, despite getting plenty in their diet. It's because of the lack of fat in the diet. Lycopene is very good for your health... and appearance / attractiveness. smiling smiley

Olive oil has been shown lower the risk of high risk people for CVD especially.
[www.crvitality.com]

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: March 01, 2015 03:57PM

There is no amount of study that will make me go back to eating cooked tomatoes.
Here is another study that proves that cooked Lycopene is not good for your health

[www.thefirstsupper.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2015 04:00PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: March 01, 2015 04:42PM

I wonder how many risk are lower by not eating live oil. That would be something a study cannot come up with since it means people start an unmeasurable health level. The myopic scientific thinking that a substance improves one thing can neglect to say that it worsens 20 times other markers at the same time. The olive oil was proganda and marketing masqueraded as one benefit of meditarrean diet. People love to add fat to things.

mattscr Wrote:
> Olive oil has been shown lower the risk of high
> risk people for CVD especially.
> [www.crvitality.com]
> ed-food/

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: March 01, 2015 05:04PM

mattscr Wrote:
> Why not? Extra Virgin Olive Oil is good for you
> anyway. And it helps you absorb the lipid-soluble
> compounds in a plant-based diet. I think I shared
> a study on here before showing that vegans / raw
> foodists have very little lycopene, despite
> getting plenty in their diet. It's because of the
> lack of fat in the diet. Lycopene is very good for
> your health... and appearance / attractiveness.
> smiling smiley
>
> Olive oil has been shown lower the risk of high
> risk people for CVD especially.
> [www.crvitality.com]
> ed-food/

>>>(77%) of the raw foodists were below the normal range for lycopene; and the best predictor for lycopene levels was the amount of fat consumed in their diets.

may I inquire as to what "below the normal range" means with respect to health markers?

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: March 01, 2015 05:44PM

matt,

you're a very smart guy, so i am a little surprised by this link you shared.

let's run through this...

>Is Raw Food Better Than Cooked Food?
In the raw food community it’s common knowledge that fresh raw food contains more nutrients than cooked food; but is this always the case? And should we always consume raw fruits and vegetables over cooked? Well, the short answer is no, because it entirely depends on which food we’re talking about.

false "more is better" philosophy

>Although raw food contains many nutrients that are beneficial to our health, some are better absorbed once the food has been steamed or boiled. This is simply because cooking breaks down the tough cellulose walls and releases the nutrients; and therefore they become more bioavailable. This is why I’m not a strong proponent of a 100% raw food diet.

this would only make sense if it were not possible to acquire sufficient nutrients by eating all raw food. this is most certainly false, and definitely unproven. so not a good reason to not eat raw, although a good reason to rationalize cooking. perhaps we should have been born with stoves upon our backs.

>By limited yourself to only raw foods, you’re limiting the amount of valuable compounds that have proven health benefits.

absolutely false and certainly unproven.

> Basically, you want to look at the ‘net-benefit’ when choosing to eat your food raw or cooked. You’ll invariably decrease the amount of certain nutrients, while increasing others, but this is why it’s important to have a wide variety of raw and cooked fruits and vegetables. For example, cooking may increase the level of carotenoids, but decrease the level of phenolic compounds such as caffeic acid, ferulic acid, quercetin, kaempferol etc. (1). Steaming and boiling seem to be beneficial for some vegetables, whereas frying foods should absolutely be avoided.. Our digestive systems are perfectly able to breakdown the food without enzymes coming from the fruits and vegetables themselves.

the very fact that cooking certain foods enables them to be digested "easier" is not a reason to cook food. it is a reason to avoid eating those foods and make better choices, or employ modern technology if one wishes.

>Although the nutritional value of foods like brown rice, wholegrains, potatoes are lower than most plant foods, they can certainly be part of a healthy diet for most people, and should not cause any problems.

not cause any problems? definitely not true in my experience.

> In fact, many raw foodists find it difficult to consume enough calories because of the quantity of food they consume which are not energy-dense!

the fact that many raw foodists find something difficult is not a valid argument, since there is an easy solution. eat energy dense foods.

>So these foods are rich sources of calories that you can consume if you’re falling short of your caloric intake. Legumes such as beans can also be a very healthy and an important part of the diet.

so can one be healthy without beans? by saying an important part of the diet, that is the implication.

>One study found that legume intake is the single most important predictor of survival in older people!

living in okinawa is the single most important predictor of survival. should it be deemed necessary to move okinawa? talking about beans is just a meaningless statistic pulled out from the wholistic causes of health and longevity, and may have nothing at all to do with health or longevity.

>For each 20g increase in daily intake, there was a 8% decrease in mortality. (2)From the current evidence that we have, there is no clear advantage of consuming a 100% raw food diet over a high raw food diet between 70-80%.

perhaps you have never been 100% raw, since I can note several "clear advantages"

>All of these foods are very good sources for complex carbohydrates and should be consumed as part of a healthy diet.

"should be"? yikes.

>As much people try to aspire to be 100% raw foodists, there is no proven benefit to being this strict. Eating healthy cooked foods is perfectly fine, and in some cases, is more beneficial.

certainly some cooked diets are better than other all raw diets. but that doesn't mean much.

>I only consume a 70% raw food diet, and have obtained excellent health from doing this diet for over 10 years. Perhaps many raw food obtain ‘guru’ status because of how strict they are. So many people in the raw food community are trying to reach the same 100% goal as them, but not everyone can achieve this level of discipline. Fortunately, to get great results and great health, you do not have to adhere to a full 100% raw food diet. You just have to a eat a whole food diet which is high in raw fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds.

you can certainly have great results and great health.
that still says nothing about raw vs cooked.

>Raw Foodists are deficient in Lycopene: In a study published in the British Journal of Nutrition, researchers looked at the level of carotenoids in strict long-term raw foodists. In the study they found that despite the fact they were consuming a high level of carotenoids from raw fruits and vegetables, a large number (77%) of the raw foodists were below the normal range for lycopene;

being below the normal range is meaningless.
there is no rda for lycopene.

>and the best predictor for lycopene levels was the amount of fat consumed in their diets. Many compounds including lycopene are fat-soluble; that means they need to be taken with fat to be absorbed adequately. For this reason, it highly recommended that people on raw food diets consume adequate amounts of fat

that's fine. i do not see it shown anywhere that lycopene is low in a good raw diet, nor that the fat intake is too low on a healthy raw diet.

>and/or include processed tomato products in their diets. (3). The biggest trade-off when cooking tomatoes is that you lose Vitamin C. Fortunately this vitamin is abundant in a raw food diet anyway.

you may want to investigate all the other foods containing lycopene.
tomato is not the only one, and there are negative effects to cooking tomatoes, or any other food.
in fact watermelon contains more lycopene.

here is one example (and many other fruits contain lycopene)
1/2 a watermelon contains 100mg lycopene
i saw a reference that it is good to get 10mg of lycopene

>Tomatoes contain a significant amount of dietary lycopene compared to many other foods. Unfortunately, by eating tomatoes raw, you’re losing out on obtaining a significant amount of an important phytochemical. Our body’s only able to absorb approximately 10-30%, so to get the most from your diet, you would have to either cook the tomatoes or consume other tomato products which have been processed.

simply not true.

>tomato sauce, tomato juice, tomato paste, and ketchup are some of the best sources of lycopene. (4, 5)

now we should begin eating ketchup?

>Why is lycopene important? Lycopene is distributed throughout the body to various organs such as adrenal glands, prostate, breasts, liver and testes; and it’s also stored in adipose tissue. It has been found to be protective against many types of cancer including breast, prostate and lung cancer; it’s also protective against cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis and macular degeneration. (6). Lycopene also significantly lowers the level of oxidative stress. Researchers found that 30 mg of lycopene was able to reduce baseline DNA damage by 9%. (7). In other studies, they have shown that tomato paste can reduce lymphocyte (white blood cell) damage by up to 50% with just 7 to 16 mg of lycopene per day! (8,9). If all these benefits weren’t enough to make you want to get more lycopene in your diet and body… lycopene concentration in the skin has been associated with better skin health and increased perceived attractiveness. (10). The glow one gets from carotenoids signals better immunity and fertility to the opposite sex. (11).

all of these alleged benefits are inherent functions of the human body.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2015 05:51PM by fresh.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: March 01, 2015 07:52PM

My uncle used to rub olive oil on his long golden blonde hair. So I agree with Prana, it can be on the body.

I bought a bottle a week ago and I cannot find it. I am pissed. I use help oil too

I heard alot of olive oil is cut with other oils and not listed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2015 07:52PM by coconutcream.

Date: March 01, 2015 08:29PM

The lifestyle and macronutrient ratio could be more important on the long term than specific components of a diet. It is interesting that the highest lived cultures lived from very modest foods. They did not eat superfoods, suplements, olive oils, coconut oils, etc., and probably they were dangerously deficient according to modern advice. Had they followed modern advice nobody knows if they were to live less.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables