Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sick from soy in Vegan to Raw Transition
Posted by: seajaee ()
Date: December 27, 2006 10:51PM

Hi,

I'm finding that in my transition to raw/live food, soy makes my stomach upset and gives me a headache. Have any of you experienced that? I'm not 100% raw yet, but the more raw I get the less I can tolerate soy. I have no problem leaving it out of my diet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sick from soy in Vegan to Raw Transition
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 28, 2006 12:52AM

You don't have to include soy to be healthy. Some people don't tolerate it. I've noticed it too and I am pretty tolerant, that I do a little bit better when I omit the legumes (skin, GI tract, nothing major).

But if you were using fortified soy products with B12 and D, and you stop, you should find another source for those.

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: December 28, 2006 07:54AM

There is vit-D in sunflower (seeds, sprouts) and alfalfa.

B-12 in saurkraut and mostly all organic produce.

Most people avoid soyproducts because of all the bad effects people experience.

Date: December 28, 2006 12:48PM

>There is vit-D in sunflower (seeds, sprouts) and alfalfa.

No, not according to the USDA nutrient database. There is a little bit in mushrooms, though.

>B-12 in saurkraut and mostly all organic produce.

It's either not real B12 (but an analogue, which will have adverse effects on your B12 status in the long-term), or trace contamination from human or animal excrement. In either case it should not be relied upon in such a form to maintain adequate stores.

Date: December 28, 2006 02:07PM

I was drinking soy milk and occassionally eat soy substitutes like the Morning Star and Boca brand products.

Yesterday, when I ate a soy 'chicken patty' I got an upset stomach and headache. It has been a while since I had soy and I was surprised to experience the symptoms.

Date: December 28, 2006 03:14PM

I used to eat those chic things, about 7 years ago. I liked them then. They are not vegan, there are trace contributions from dairy and egg.

Here is a link to the nutrient info. You will have to click on a link within the page to get the popup nutrient data and ingredients list.

[www.morningstarfarms.com]

The ingredients list reads like a standard rat chow that they use in lab experiments made with highly processed "purified" ingredients. Rats fed on a purified diet don't do as well as those on a whole foods diet. There are some potential allergens here. But most people would probably be ok with it. Did you have it alone or put a soy mayo on it? I have read many people get stomach aches from soy mayos.

I still use some soymilk for convenience and taste but too much gives me a tummy ache too, and I don't think my skin looks as good as when I use raw nut/seed milks instead. But I am not one of those people who thinks that soy is a deadly poison or anything like that.

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: December 28, 2006 03:21PM

I used to eat that morning star stuff too, the length of the ingredients list is enough to put me off now, I don't even have to read it lol.

Phil.

--------------------------------------------------

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" (Chinese Proverb)

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: December 28, 2006 03:27PM

Hi Seajaee,

Back to your question, I would stay off the Soy for a while and see how you feel.

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: December 28, 2006 04:54PM

Listen to your body.... if soy gives you a headache and makes you feel ill, then don't eat it. Very simple.

Date: December 28, 2006 06:21PM

Thanks to everyone for their posts...

I agree with Rawrrr. I will leave it alone since it isn't agreeing with my body.....guess I need to check out the recipe section! (smile)

Seajaee

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables