Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Microgreens are simple unbeatable in nutrition
Date: March 10, 2015 01:46AM

This morning I have been reading a 126 page study on microgreen nutrition and post harvest factors along with other studies on the brilliance of sprout nutrition compared to the mature plant leaves, and l can say without a doubt that nearly all microgreens (18/25) beat their mature counterparts hands down on phytochmicals, vitamin A, C, E and K. Other studies show massive B vitamin increases when a seed sprouts also, especially when it becomes a microgreen.

Microgreens are simply the finest foods in existance, and l will prove it soon with study after study which will leave one in no doubt. I will also say that non microgreen sprouts foods are the second finest food in existance, and l will post study upon study to prove this also.

Unfortunately many nutritional analysis are done incorrectly because they take water content into account during the sprouting period and this disguises the real nutrient increases, and if we compare dried sprouts to dried vegetables we will still get far more impressive values for the sprouts over most of the vegetables on many many levels.

There are so many microgreens available (dozens) and it's about time l bought these seeds and really got serious about sprouting like never before. I feel very excited today because of the things l have seen, incredible stuff. Very soon the proof of all this will be made public, and it will blow many many minds sky high.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2015 01:48AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microgreens are simple unbeatable in nutrition
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: March 10, 2015 02:08AM

sproutman

i want to read this 126 page study on microgreens
is it in a pdf file...book?
sounds fascinating
where can i read it?

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: March 10, 2015 02:15AM

"Unfortunately many nutritional analysis are done incorrectly because they take water content into account during the sprouting period and this disguises the real nutrient increases, and if we compare dried sprouts to dried vegetables we will still get far more impressive values for the sprouts over most of the vegetables on many many levels."

So many studies seem to have been designed by the Keystone Cops, haven't they? It's just ridiculous.

"There are so many microgreens available (dozens) and it's about time l bought these seeds and really got serious about sprouting like never before."

Johnny's has tons of microgreen seeds just waiting for you!

Date: March 10, 2015 02:20AM

la_veronique Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> sproutman
>
> i want to read this 126 page study on
> microgreens
> is it in a pdf file...book?
> sounds fascinating
> where can i read it?

The microgreen study is not available by public access, many of the best studies l have read aren't unfortunately. None-the-less, l will quote the most imnportant parts of these studies, but l need to check the legal side.

One thing l can say is that microgreens look to be higher in anti-inflammatory properties than vegetables, especially when polyphenols are taken into account, but also for the carotenoids `lycopene' and astaxanthin'which have the strongest anti inflammatory properties of the family. One of the highest sources is spinach with 7.2 mg/100 g FW, but cilantro had the highest lutein/zeaxanthin levels with 10.1 mg/100 g FW (Figure 2). Red sorrel, red cabbage, and garnet amaranth microgreens followed with lutein/zeaxanthin concentrations of 8.8, 8.6, and 8.4 mg/100 g FW, respectively.

Some microgreens also have far more vitamin C than most fruits, and three times as much beta carotene than carrots.

And lets not forget, post harvest issues of vegetables are a problem too, especially with chlorphyll and vitamin C, and these two things mark the decline on greens under refrigeration which brings on celluliar death of the plants, especially chlorohyll degradtion, but not so with FRESH sprouted greens.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2015 02:26AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: March 10, 2015 02:24AM

SueZ Wrote:

> So many studies seem to have been designed by the
> Keystone Cops, haven't they? It's just ridiculous.

Even mainstream nutrition sites are hopeless. No wonder so many websites, wiki and books say so many dumb things about sprouts, people are mislead by scientists who have no clue.
[nutritiondata.self.com]

The late Dr Paul Burkholder was a brilliant scientist and he leaves many of the modern day Ph D's and their highly unread inane ramblings on sprouts for dead. Paul was a brilliant man and tops in the Academy of Sciences in the 50's, 60's etc and was a Yale man. He wos born into a family of brilliant minds, and he used to devour his parents library of books as a child. His reputation was as steller as it could get, and he seems to have invented the dehydrated analysis that so many cluless scientists these days never employ. Dr Burkholder's explanations for for testing methods were brilliant. He was on a whole different level, and one's who criticise him are really lacking in understanding.

> Johnny's has tons of microgreen seeds just
> waiting for you!

Oh yes, and so has this local site, but l bet Johnny's is much better.
[www.flowerdalefarm.com.au]

I am very pumped up today.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2015 02:36AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: March 10, 2015 02:38AM

TSM, I don't remember how long ago it was that I saw in the msm that it's been discovered that veggies suffer nutritional losses while on display in grocery stores simply from being exposed to lighting 24/7. I don't know if that's true or not but now I always select mine from underneath the pile and far in the back of trays where there isn't much light.

Date: March 10, 2015 03:21AM

SueZ Wrote:
> TSM, I don't remember how long ago it was that I
> saw in the msm that it's been discovered that
> veggies suffer nutritional losses while on display
> in grocery stores simply from being exposed to
> lighting 24/7. I don't know if that's true or not

YES, it is true!!! It is really bad stuff....was reading about it this morning. Got some great studies saved up, and the world is going to be told the real story behind post harvest problems and sprouted foods and the reality of the so called healthy vegan diets, because most raw vegan diets are only stratching the surface of what they could be. Imo, with all the problems in the world with pollution, EMF's, stress etc, store bought vegetables simply do not cut it these days...we need the heavily artiliary to come out to minimise oxidative stress and inflammation by eating FRESH highly nutritious greens. This is not the 1800's anymore, we need to do more than we ever have done to protect our DNA. Many raw vegans don't look much better than the average person, but if we eat/juice better foods (microgreens twice per day) we might fare better.

AND...not only juice sprouts once per day, but twice per day because various phytochemicals only have a short life in protecting the body, + we do algaes in small amounts throughout the day to keep phytochemical levels topped up, + we have high enzyme food to help further chelate these phytochemicals and improve their bioavailability (they actually do that) and have ferments to help increase their bioavailability. It will be a challenge to juice twice a day, but something to think about. Btw, various phytochemicals can be poorly absorbed.

This is important stuff to know, and imo we can be doing things much better than we are as raw vegans. Imo, most raw vegans are doing diet 1/10...it might work, but could it work even better? It doesn't mean we have to do all sprouts, but what about including more sprouts and microgreens in the diet. I do microgreens and other sprouts because l refuse to settle for the scraps...l want to good dinners, the best dinners, the excellent dinners...i've never settled for raw foods scraps that are victim of post harvest tradegies and mass handling processes because that spells doom with a capital D, especially in this modern world.

Btw, B12 triples with microgreens and EPA increases, but still quite low, but it shows that sprouting is full of many great events, like how vitamin B2 increases 2,000% when wheat grain becomes a grass microgreen, but as the grass gets older it does down again. Or how vitamin E triples with wheat, but increases over 15,000% with sesame seeds after 4 days. Or how one of the most potent phytochemicals ever discovered increases up to 10,000% when broccoli is sprouted, or how the vitamin C in wheat increases 46,000% when grown into grass microgreens making it a top source, or how daikon radish microgreens possibly increase 157,000% in vitamin C from the seed making it far higher than most fresh picked fruits, and just as crazy increases in beta carotene.

You want the best goodies? Well, it is all here with the sprouts!!!Yes folks, it's all here, a tresuretrove of high quality goodness for all to enjoy.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2015 03:30AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: March 10, 2015 03:47AM

Here is something scarey that should wake us up about the fruit and vegetables not being all that. They don't protect against all cancers, and have no protection against hormine related cancers regardless if a person eats high consumption of fruit and vegetables. Raw foods are associated with lower risk, but are they stopping and killing off all harmful cancer? Now, this is only an extract and the food was likely cooked, but l still reckon we should be eating the most powerfulfoods to give us the best chances of warding off disease.

Vegetables, fruit, and cancer. I. Epidemiology

Steinmetz KA, Potter JD

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

It is concluded that consumption of higher levels of vegetables and fruit is associated consistently, although not universally, with a reduced risk of cancer at most sites. The association is most marked for epithelial cancers--particularly those of the alimentary and respiratory tracts--and, currently, is weak to nonexistent for hormone-related cancers. The association exists for a wide variety of vegetables and fruit with some suggestion that raw forms are associated most consistently with lower risk

Here is another one on cancer risk

Vegetable and fruit consumption and cancer risk

Eva Negri, Carlo La Vecchia et al

[onlinelibrary.wiley.com]

The lower the location of the tumour in the digestive tract, the weaker appeared to be the protection afforded. Significant inverse relationships were observed for liver, pancreas, prostate and urinary sites, but not for rectum, breast and female genital cancers or thyroid. No relationship emerged for lymphomas and myelomas

Remember that oxidative stress and chronic smouldering inflammation bring on cancer, but microgreens are some of the most powerful foods which fight against these things. And yes, sunflower microgreens contain much higher antioxidant phytochemicals than blue berries, and they are FRESH. In fact, sunflower microgreens, radish microgreens and broccoli sprouts are some of the most awesome foods ever, and they rank as my top three foods to have with current limited knowledge, but there are other brilliant microgreens around too.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2015 03:50AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: March 10, 2015 03:55AM

Cells of the Immune System
The response to pathogens is orchestrated by the complex interactions and activities of the large number of diverse cell types involved in the immune response. The innate immune response is the first line of defense and occurs soon after pathogen exposure. It is carried out by phagocytic cells such as neutrophils and macrophages, cytotoxic natural killer (NK) cells, and granulocytes. The subsequent adaptive immune response includes antigen-specific defense mechanisms and may take days to develop. Cell types with critical roles in adaptive immunity are antigen-presenting cells including macrophages and dendritic cells. Antigen-dependent stimulation of various cell types including T cell subsets, B cells, and macrophages all play critical roles in host defense.

B Cells

Dendritic Cells

Granulocytes

Innate Lymphoid Cells (ILCs)

Megakaryocytes

Monocytes/Macrophages

Natural Killer (NK) Cells

Platelets

Red Blood Cells (RBCs)

T Cells

Thymocytes

Date: March 10, 2015 04:13AM

How is our immune response holding up with all the EMF waves and other stuff? It's time to break out the microgreens Fresh to give our body the best chance to keep all our natural defenses in top order. I recall one study saying the EMF's unravel our DNA.

One ex top Air Force science man told me l was wrong and that households don't utilise square wave technology because it would overheat the equipment, and that EMF's are harmless, but then l mentioned the studies on sperm damage and he was surprised. He was involved with all that radiation stuff 10 years ago, so maybe the technology has improved where households do use square wave technology these days, Mr Kearns says we use square waves according to his testing. More investigations need to be done.

And if these EMF's are so dangerous, then why are the elites not worried? Many elites can be sacrifised, but me think not all of them are who we think they are, they are something else, smiling smiley possibly....assuming the EMF's are as dangerous as people say they are. Well, the studies certainly don't look good.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: March 10, 2015 04:35AM

i don't know if these tests are valid or nonsense.

but i went over 60 secs on the breath test and all no's on the second link.

[www.koyfmancenter.com]

[www.nutritionaltest.com]

Date: March 10, 2015 04:52AM

fresh Wrote:

>
> [www.nutritionaltest.com]

What a sales con. If you click no to all of the questions you still come up with "warning, mild immune system weakness", then they tell you to click on a link to order supplements. winking smiley

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: March 10, 2015 05:02AM

The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
> fresh Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> >
> > [www.nutritionaltest.com]
>
> What a sales con. If you click no to all of the
> questions you still come up with "warning, mild
> immune system weakness", then they tell you to
> click on a link to order supplements. winking smiley

no doubt.

and yes it's hard to say how we are being effected by emf's and other assaults.

enjoy your microgreen research.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: March 10, 2015 05:21AM

Hey, TSM, I got this kid's toy this weekend. I have a koi pond and I was fascinated by this concept. I was thinking that maybe there might be more B-12 uptake for such greens

[www.backtotheroots.com]

It reminds me of this:
[earthship.com]

I also bought these germination pads, because I usually don't have time to mess with dirt:
[www.productofnature.com]
But upon further questioning, I found that 10% of the pads are synthetic. I am using them this week, but I am probably not going to reorder. What I liked about this company is that they have suction cups to attach the trays to the window (new product available in two months).

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: March 10, 2015 02:02PM

Fruits are good foods just that microgreens are far superior foods

Date: March 10, 2015 02:17PM

I've got a gigantic box of horticultural grade Vermiculite in the garage I bought for growing microgreens in. I just haven't gotten around to growing them yet.

Here's a 'how to' pdf. from Johnny's...

[www.johnnyseeds.com]

Posted by: NuNativs ()
Date: March 10, 2015 02:22PM

RawPracticalist wrote:
"Fruits are good foods just that microgreens are far superior foods"

Fruits AND Microgreens for the win, and don't forget the fats too in my opinion, and the tonic herbs they are a must and....

Yes Johny's is a great source for seeds and it only takes alittle over a teaspoon to grow a full tray of greens though they take 2 weeks or more to mature.

How do you post pictures to this board?

Date: March 10, 2015 02:37PM

Yes fruits and microgreens
The board does not allow to upload pictures, you have to upload your picture first to an outside online site and then link the url of that picture to this board using the img tag like

[ img]http://www.living-foods.com/images/livingfoods.gif[/img]

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Date: March 10, 2015 04:45PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
> Yes fruits and microgreens
> The board does not allow to upload pictures, you
> have to upload your picture first to an outside
> online site and then link the url of that picture
> to this board using the img tag like
>
>
> [
> img]http://www.living-foods.com/images/livingfoods
> .gif
>
> [www.rawfoodsupport.com]

you don't need to use tags, just use the icons above the text box here.

the mountain is the icon for pics.

Date: March 10, 2015 05:05PM

Here is an online image url
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2c/Rotating_earth_%28large%29.gif/200px-Rotating_earth_%28large%29.gif

If I do not add the img tag it represented as link

[upload.wikimedia.org]

But if I put the img tag it shows the image

[ img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2c/Rotating_earth_%28large%29.gif/200px-Rotating_earth_%28large%29.gif[ /img]
I have put space in the image tag so it shows the url not image

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2015 05:13PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: March 10, 2015 05:11PM

TSM,

I understand you are on your own path...

I had a couple questions though.

- what would you do without a juicer?
- regarding the nutrients on a sprout based diet..
if i put a sample in cron of watermelon, hemp seeds, alfalfa sprouts, lentil sprouts, mung bean sprouts....for 2000 cal

(now this is just the sprouts - maybe juicing gives lower values? - i would think maybe just lower values for protein, most likely not for the other nutrients )

what you end up getting is 10x the protein required and excessive amounts of minerals including copper and vitamin k.

is that not a concern?

Date: March 10, 2015 05:28PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
> Here is an online image url
> [upload.wikimedia.org]
> b/2/2c/Rotating_earth_%28large%29.gif/200px-Rotati
> ng_earth_%28large%29.gif
>
> If I do not add the img tag it represented as
> link
>
> [upload.wikimedia.org]
>
> But if I put the img tag it shows the image
> [upload.wikimedia.org]
>
> [
> img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/
> thumb/2/2c/Rotating_earth_%28large%29.gif/200px-Ro
> tating_earth_%28large%29.gif[ /img]
> I have put space in the image tag so it shows the
> url not image

if you click on insert image url icon above, then paste in a copied image url, it will show the photo in the post like above

Posted by: NuNativs ()
Date: March 10, 2015 07:51PM

Spicy Mix from Johny's Selected Seeds. That's an 11x22 tray.

Date: March 10, 2015 08:05PM

fresh Wrote:

> - what would you do without a juicer?

Struggle along and eat the microgreens. It's important to have a juicer in this world, either a hand pressed juicer or a highend juicer, it must be slow turning.

> - regarding the nutrients on a sprout based
> diet..
> if i put a sample in cron of watermelon, hemp
> seeds, alfalfa sprouts, lentil sprouts, mung bean
> sprouts....for 2000 cal
>
> (now this is just the sprouts - maybe juicing
> gives lower values? - i would think maybe just
> lower values for protein, most likely not for the
> other nutrients )

> what you end up getting is 10x the protein
> required and excessive amounts of minerals
> including copper and vitamin k.
>
> is that not a concern?

Most people in good health would have a good tolerance of vitamin K without toxicity at reasonably high levels according to my research, BUT it doesn't mean we can go crazy with 32 0z of daikon radish microgreen juice each day because vitamin K would exceed the limit which could put us in the danger zone. I worked this limit out a while back and 8 oz of daikon radish juice each day would be the limit, but personally l would not use it each day. And if you are on blood thinning medications, you would need to be even more careful and avoid some of these foods. It is important we find a balance and make the various foods work towards a nice nutritionally balanced diet. Everything in moderation is the conclusion l have come to. Personally l wouldn't be juicing massive amounts each day, for me 32 - 40 oz is fine, but for others less might be ideal. Juicing 100 oz each day is probably not advised for most people.

The concentrated protein is largley broken down into amino acids with not near so many of the byproducts associated with protein digestion.

Copper is not a problem on a well done sproutarian diet compared to many other vegan diets because we have foods which can be used to put limits on the absorption of copper. One of the finest ways to smooth out the excessive manganese and copper in vegan diets is to use fenugreek sprouts because the high iron will compete against the manganese and copper and tend to balance the manganese/copper/iron out more. I try to teach nutritional synergy with vegan diets, and very few diets l have come across have this balance, instead most vegan diets l come across tend to be quite ratty...anything goes. It might sound too scientific, but best to keep nutrients more balanced and put the breaks on wild levels of copper being in the diet, it's common sense, but also has science to back it up because nutrients do compete with other nutrients, so best to smooth things out and not have things so ratty. It is also important to keep copper in check so zinc can be made more bioavailable and for us to have a better chance of making EPA/DHA at better levels.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2015 08:17PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: March 10, 2015 08:15PM

TSM, thanks for your response.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: March 11, 2015 12:12AM

I have 5 packets of microgreens. I should get off my butt and make some raw dressing. I am so glad I can come her and talk about sprouts. I mean, it feels like home here, you guys and I we are one.

Date: March 11, 2015 03:01PM

SueZ Wrote:
> I've got a gigantic box of horticultural grade
> Vermiculite in the garage I bought for growing
> microgreens in. I just haven't gotten around to
> growing them yet.
>
>
> Here's a 'how to' pdf. from Johnny's...
>
> [www.johnnyseeds.com]
> o-greens-production-8079.pdf

While I was getting ready to buy mega rolls of newsprint for the parrot cage from Uline I happened to notice they also carry vermiculite. When I crunched all the number factors, though, it's still less expensive to buy it where I did at the Greenhouse Mega Store.

For those who don't know yet, vermiculite is way way cheaper to get in bulk. It's also really good for raised bed and square foot gardening. You want to get premium grade, which is pretty hard to find, as you don't want it to be dusty.

This is where I got mine ...

[www.greenhousemegastore.com]

This is probably why it costs less than from uline...

Greenhouse Megastore

"We realize that shipping on this product is expensive in relation to the selling price. Although Vermiculite is very light it is also very bulky and is therefore considered "oversized" by Fedex which is why the shipping charges are so high. We actually charge a little less than what it costs us to ship this item."

Date: March 12, 2015 06:37AM

Here are a few exciting highlights of a couple of many sprout studies. Short and sweet.

Regulated Water Deficits Improve Phytochemical Concentration in Lettuce

Myung-Min Oh, Edward E. Carey et al

[journal.ashspublications.org]

Young seedlings, 7 days after germination, had the highest total phenolic concentration and antioxidant capacity

In this study, as antioxidants declined with plant age to their lowest level at the time of harvest, the quality of lettuce in relation to its health-promoting value was also low compared with young seedlings smiling smiley

and

Broccoli sprouts: An exceptionally rich source of inducers of enzymes that protect against?chemical?carcinogens

Jed W. Fahey, Yuesheng Zhang et al

[www.pnas.org]

Unexpectedly, 3-day-old sprouts of cultivars of certain crucifers including broccoli and cauliflower contain 10–100 times higher levels of glucoraphanin (the glucosinolate of sulforaphane) than do the corresponding mature plants

You might not be able to eat 3 day old broccili sprouts, but you can eat 5 or 6 day old sprouts that have upto 50 times these phytochemicals which are highly protective against cancer, AGES and heart disease by improving clotting factors 7(a) and 7(c) in regards to blood flow dilitation and oxidative stress along with keeping inflammation in check. What'smore is that the effects last up to 72 hours where-as the effects of normal antioxidant vitamins are far shorter lasting and have much less powerful antioxidant action. You think the broccoli sprout and radish sprout is good?...no no, it is EXCELLENT, you bet your sweet boots it is!!!

You think these studies are good? Nah...got some real beauties saved up that are even better. If you think your mind is already blown, believe me when l say that this sprout party hasn't even got started yet because many amazing things are yet to be said.

Something which did blow my mind and always made me fall of my chair was when Oh et al quoted Bryant et al and Barton when he said Typically, germinating seeds and young seedlings shift to secondary metabolism because of carbon limitation in germinating seeds, and the accumulation of secondary metabolites, especially antioxidants, may aid young seedlings against biotic and abiotic threats

Secondary metabolites are things like phytochemicals. That makes complete sense because the phytochemicals have a more powerful antioxidant action than vitamins. Vitamins are the little boys, but phytochemicals are the big grand daddy boys.

Isn't it amazing.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2015 06:38AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: March 12, 2015 09:24AM

Red cabbage microgreens contained an average of 11.5 mg/100 g of beta carotene FW which is approximately 260-fold more than the value (0.044 mg/100 g FW) reported for mature red cabbage leaves - source = Lester et al

and

vitamin K1 concentration in mature amaranth, basil, and red cabbage were 1.14, 0.41, and 0.04 ?g/g FW, respectively, which were much lower than the values for their corresponding microgreens (4.09, 3.20, and 2.77 ?g/g FW, respectively) - source = Lester et al

and

The vitamin C concentration of red cabbage microgreens (147.0 mg/100 g FW) was 6-fold higher than previously published data for mature red cabbage (24.4 mg/100 g FW) - source = Lester et al

and

Garnet amaranth (131.6 mg/100 g FW) had much higher ascorbic acid content than reported concentration of mature leaf (11.6?45.3 mg/100 g FW) - source = Lester et al

and

Therefore, it was suggested that fresh microgreens are generally good to excellent sources of ascorbic acid and likely more concentrated with TAA than their mature plant counterparts, which is in accordance with the findings of Bergquist et al on baby spinach: that younger plants had higher ascorbic acid content than older harvested leaves - source = Lester et al

and

Compared with fully developed cilantro leaves, cilantro seedlings contained 3- fold more ?-carotene - source = Lester et al

and

cilantro had the highest lutein/zeaxanthin levels (carotene family) with 10.1 mg/100 g FW. Red sorrel, red cabbage, and garnet amaranth microgreens followed with lutein/zeaxanthin concentrations of 8.8, 8.6, and 8.4 mg/100 g FW, respectively. These values were higher than that of mature spinach (7.2 mg/100 g FW), which contains high quantities of lutein/zeaxanthin - source Lester et al

and another classic

the values of lutein/zeaxanthin in raw mature cilantro and red cabbage were 0.9 and 0.3 mg/100 g FW, respectively, which contrasted with the more abundant
concentrations in their microgreen counterparts, which had 11.2 and 28.6 times greater lutein/zeaxanthin concentrations, respectively. These findings suggest that these immature leaves of the microgreens tend to possess higher lutein/zeaxanthin concentration than their fully grown plant counterparts
- source = Lester et al

and

The maximum concentration of violaxanthin in cilantro microgreens was more than 5-fold than that of mature cilantro leaves (1.4 mg/100 g FW) and 2.8 times than that of mature spinach (2.7 mg/100 g FW), both of which are considered as good sources of violaxanthin - source = Lester et al

and

22/25 microgreens assayed possessed violaxanthin concentration higher than
mature cilantro
- source = Lester et al

and a real classic

Green daikon radish has extremely high ?- and ?-tocopherol contents of 87.4 and 39.4 mg/100 g FW, respectively. . Even though the values of ?-tocopherol (4.9 mg/100 g FW) and ?-tocopherol (3.0 mg/100 g FW) in golden pea tendrils were
among the lowest of the 25 microgreens, their values were still markedly higher than those for more mature spinach leaves (2.0 and 0.2 mg/100 g FW, respectively). Red cabbage microgreens contained over 40 times the vitamin E content of its mature counterpart (0.06 mg/100 g FW)
- source = Lester et al

Yes, daikon radish is probably the world's highest source of vitamin E with half as much as wheatgerm oil.

and

In general, microgreens contain considerably higher concentrations of vitamins and carotenoids than their mature plant counterparts

and

Maximum values of vitamin C, viamin K1, and vitamin E were found in red cabbage, garnet amaranth, and green daikon radish microgreens, respectively. In
terms of carotenoids, cilantro microgreens showed the highest concentration of lutein/zeaxanthin and violaxanthin and ranked second in ?-carotene concentration

And lets not forget that post harvest purchases can decline in various vitamins and important phytochemicals, especially when stored on the shelves and put under artificallighting in shops etc. AND, the chlorophyll can easily break down and oxidise causing free radical damage,but the sproutarians don't have to worry about that stuff because their dinner is always FRESH. smiling smiley

I really like this scientist Gene Lester because he always reports stuff that sproutarians LOVE to hear. Woot woot. smileys with beer hot smiley

Never doubt the sprout!!!

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2015 09:27AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: March 12, 2015 03:01PM

all of this wonderful stuff assumes that one is not so interested in eating things that taste good.

and that you think that juicing things is good

and that more of X nutrient is better

and that you may need to employ countermeasures for excess amounts of nutrients and antinutrients

so some people will be impressed and some will not.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables