Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do coconut oil and cacao butter ever go rancid?
Posted by: ahappycamper ()
Date: March 24, 2015 02:47PM

I've had a few tubs of cacao butter and coconut oil as well as the butter for I don't eve know how long. I would hate for it to go to waste. Unlike some of the more delicate oils, do these fats ever turn rancid? Also would it help the degradation process at al by putting them in the freezer or fridge or is room temperature just as effective at preventing and degrading .

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do coconut oil and cacao butter ever go rancid?
Posted by: ahappycamper ()
Date: March 24, 2015 02:52PM

I also have a lot of cacao paste too. I mean I would prefer to keep it out if he freezer since our freezer space is getting a bit compromised but I honestly don't know when I'll be using all of this stuff

Thanks again for any comments

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 24, 2015 04:40PM

ahappycamper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've had a few tubs of cacao butter and coconut
> oil as well as the butter for I don't eve know how
> long. I would hate for it to go to waste. Unlike
> some of the more delicate oils, do these fats ever
> turn rancid? Also would it help the degradation
> process at al by putting them in the freezer or
> fridge or is room temperature just as effective at
> preventing and degrading .
>
> Thanks

Unfortunately it seems to be the case. Which bothers me since I have heard how stable it is. After a while raw organic extra virgin coconut oil seems to get a "cheezy" odor and off taste and even develops MOLD (!) around the edges of the jar and such. sad smiley

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: March 24, 2015 05:04PM

"The Second Law of Thermodynamics, which is accepted as one of the basic laws of physics, holds that under normal conditions all systems left on their own tend to become disordered, dispersed, and corrupted in direct relation to the amount of time that passes. Everything, whether living or not, wears out, deteriorates, decays, disintegrates, and is destroyed. This is the absolute end that all beings will face one way or another, and according to the law, the process cannot be avoided."
[www.darwinismrefuted.com]
The same for us humans, if we do not exercise, eat well, we die.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: March 24, 2015 06:20PM

I bought some raw organic cacao butter to make chocolate but I never used it. THis is my plan for it: to melt at room temperature, along with coconut oil and blend the two. This makes a wonderful smelling massage oil. Cacao butter is supposed to be very good for the skin.

Date: March 24, 2015 06:23PM

The saturated fats like coconut oil are far less prone to going rancid than the mono and polyunsaturated fats. So if one was to use fats to cook in (not a good idea) one would likely prefer coconut fat over olive oils because of less free radical generation from the saturated fat because of it being a more stable fat when exposed to oxygen and heat.

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: March 24, 2015 09:02PM

ahappycamper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've had a few tubs of cacao butter and coconut
> oil as well as the butter for I don't eve know how
> long. I would hate for it to go to waste. Unlike
> some of the more delicate oils, do these fats ever
> turn rancid? Also would it help the degradation
> process at al by putting them in the freezer or
> fridge or is room temperature just as effective at
> preventing and degrading .
>
> Thanks

I recently found a 1.7 QT plastic jar of Nutivia organic extra virgin olive oil which I had bought when I panicked about Fukushima and forgot about in storage. It has never been refrigerated or frozen. It is stamped "packed on 5/25/2010". It is stamped "best before 5/25/2012"

I just opened it for the first time since I bought it and it still tastes fresh and smells of fresh coconut.

If you never double dip into the containers or introduce any moisture into the containers (never use wet or damp spoons) they will last "indefinitely" if you keep them indoors under stable conditions. They will not mold if kept clean and dry in other words.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables