Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Wheatgrass - whole or juiced?
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: March 25, 2015 11:14AM

Just came across this article about wheatgrass 'myths'. I guess it's a little biased as the company sells wheatgrass powder, but it's interesting info nonetheless.

[wheatgrass.com]

I always wondered whether it was ok to eat wheatgrass whole - now after reading this I think I'll start adding it to smoothies. I might start growing my wheatgrass outside too.

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wheatgrass - whole or juiced?
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: March 25, 2015 12:09PM

It is well known that wheatgrass grown outside is more nutritious than the one grown indoor in a tray.
I am not sure if Ann Wigmore assumed that the indoor grass was equal to the outdoor grass.
The indoor grass is convenient, nutritious enough compared to any vegetable we buy in the store.
Those who have the ability to grow the grass outdoor should use that option.
It is like comparing the hydraulic press juicer like the Norwalk with the triturating juicer, the hydraulic press is expensive, first class, but takes a lot of effort to juice with, while the other juicers are simpler more convenient. It is far better to juice than not juicing at all.
It is far better to drink the indoor grass juice than not drinking any grass juice at all.

I am not sure about myth #3
>MYTH #3: Tray wheatgrass juice provides better nutrition than true wheatgrass powder.
I will prefer to drink fresh grass juice that I grow indoor than bottled powder grass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2015 12:16PM by RawPracticalist.

Posted by: brome ()
Date: March 25, 2015 07:36PM

Thanks Lisa for the excellent article. I think their method of growing it is the very best, after all it is Winter Wheat. It just does not do as well in warm conditions. I grew some Winter Wheat for juicing here in central California outside in the garden during a very cold (for here) December (lows 32 +/-). It grew very slowly and was much sweeter and vital than when grown in warm temps. IMO the grass should be juiced as all of that very coarse fiber is too hard for human digestion to handle.

When growing outside be very careful of slug infestations. They like to hide in the wheat grass during the day and they carry terrible parasites. They crawl out during the night so a few hours after sunset they should have vacated. Wash grass thoroughly before juicing. Slugs can't tolerate very cold conditions so one would be safe in northern climates esp during cold weather.

As the Winter Wheat sprouts the nutritional makeup varies markedly as it grows and could have different beneficial effects depending on the exact stage of growth it is harvested. In particular the homeobox embryonic hormones very early in its growth could stimulate a persons cells to reprogram themselves into a more optimal state.

Date: March 26, 2015 01:29PM

Ah, thanks for the reminder about the dreaded slugs Brome! Come to think of it, they were very fond of my wheatgrass when I used to grow it in the greenhouse! I might keep it indoors for now, it's pretty cool all year round here anyway as I'm in Scotland. Plus I do like having the wheatgrass around the house, I've heard it's an excellent air purifier.

Date: March 26, 2015 01:53PM

ps,yay, worked out how to put an image in my signature!! smiling bouncing smiley

Date: March 26, 2015 09:11PM

Yes, the slugs. They love laying in the wheatgrass in the green house. They have a whole lawn to chose from, yet they specifically choose my grass micro-greens. They also love sunflower greens. It's always important to wash your microgreens and drain them in a colander.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: March 26, 2015 09:18PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I am not sure about myth #3
> >MYTH #3: Tray wheatgrass juice provides better
> nutrition than true wheatgrass powder.
> I will prefer to drink fresh grass juice that I
> grow indoor than bottled powder grass.

Fresh juiced grass is always going to be better than any powdered grass regardless of what they claim. There are lots of ways to twist the nutritional findings made from companies.

I also can't agree with the myth that it is the sugar in the wheatgrass which causes nausea and not the detox effect. In my experience, the cleaner one gets the more wheatgrass juice they can handle. The nausea effects would be classic detox in many cases. Gluten intolerant need to be careful if having wheatgrass after 9 days, the gluten is said to come back on day 10 as the microgreen starts trying to become an adult.

www.thesproutarian.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables