Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Kombucha Tea - yes or no?
Posted by: Numenor ()
Date: March 26, 2015 11:15AM

Anyone here drink Kombucha tea? What are your experiences with it? Can you reccomend a good online retailer/brand where I can buy some? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kombucha Tea - yes or no?
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: March 27, 2015 12:33PM

Hi Numenor, good question. I personally LOVE kombucha. I love the whole process of making it, waiting patiently for it to ferment, and then of course drinking it winking smiley

A lot of people advise against it though, on account of the ingredients used to make it (sugar and tea). I don't do well on regular tea because of the caffeine, so I make my own alternative - I blogged the receipe here (plus an awesome variation I invented that tastes like coke!)

[www.cherrytherapies.com]

And I don't find the sugar content causes me any problem, as it's pretty much all metabolised in the fermentation process (if you do it right).

If you just want to try ready-made kombucha it's available in most health stores these days. If you want to make your own, you can buy a starter culture ('scoby') online. Happy Kombucha is a good company to buy them from.

Also check out the Facebook group 'Kombucha Nation', they have some great chats about kombucha, plus some folk there will mail out scobies if you ask them nicely smiling smiley

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Posted by: Numenor ()
Date: March 28, 2015 09:00AM

Thanks Lisa I'll look into it smiling smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 01, 2015 01:45AM

lisa

<< And I don't find the sugar content causes me any problem, as it's pretty much all metabolised in the fermentation process (if you do it right)<<>>

so...is sugar used twice?

once 1_ for feeding the things that feed on it during the fermentation process

then

2) more sugar is added to the kombucha afterwards to give it its sweet taste

i'm wondering because kombucha always tastes sweet...so how is it that it is all fermented and converted to probiotics?

that is what i am wondering

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: April 01, 2015 01:52PM

Hi La V,

Sugar is used in the 1st ferment, then during the 2nd ferment (optional) you can sweeten/flavour it with whatever you want. So you can add fruit & spices instead of refined sugar. So the kombucha should use up the regular sugar during the 1st ferment leaving only the sweetness from the fruit. Of course it's not an exact science (or is it? I'd love to see studies done).

However, I would imagine that store-bought kombucha just uses regular sugar in the 2nd ferment as they're not so fussy winking smiley That's why it's a good idea to make your own - for quality control purposes smiling smiley

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Posted by: lioness ()
Date: April 04, 2015 11:17PM

I like Synergy strawberry kombucha.. altho, I don't care much for their other flavors. But I notice they only use strawberries and the tea in theirs. I don't think they use any other sweetener..if I'm not mistaken. I like to drink it occasionally and even though I'm sensitive to caffeine, I don't have a bad effect from it.

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: March 16, 2018 03:38PM

Once I start on Kombucha it is hard for me to stop. Poison or Panacea?

david

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: March 16, 2018 04:03PM

NO

You cannot have your Kombucha Tea and drink it too.

Be Nice and let a loved one drink it.

Date: March 16, 2018 04:09PM

RawPracticalist
NO

You cannot have your Kombucha Tea and drink it too.

Be Nice and let a loved one drink it.

I may have a couple of those.

david

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: March 19, 2018 03:35PM

Absolutely on kombucha! Probiotics, super rich in B-vitamins including bio-available B12, phytonutrients, liver detox, enzymes...

Raw, unpasteurized kombucha contains health-promoting organic acids (glucuronic, gluconic, acetic) which are highly effective at eliminating toxins from the body. Acetic acid conjugates with toxins by solubilizing and eliminating them from the body. Glucuronidation is a major pathway of xenobiotic transformation and requires the co-factor uridine diphosphate-glucuronic acid. The reaction is metabolized by glucuronyltransferases (UGT's), which are a family of enzymes that detoxify hundreds of toxic compounds by their conjugation to glucuronic acid. This process forms glucuronides which are more water-soluble and thus more easily excretable.

www.phytopanacea.com

Phyto (of a plant; relating to plants)
Panacea (a solution or remedy for all difficulties or diseases)

Date: March 19, 2018 04:08PM

Wow thanks for the info!

david

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: March 19, 2018 08:47PM

Anytime.

www.phytopanacea.com

Phyto (of a plant; relating to plants)
Panacea (a solution or remedy for all difficulties or diseases)

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: May 02, 2018 02:21PM

I've never even tried it but would like to. What would anyone consider wrong with it? About the sugar. It seems like everyone and his dog thinks that only just a bit of sugar even in the context of a healthful diet is going to do them in. Maybe that is true for hard-to-control forms of diabetes, but the rest of us don't need to eat as if we are diabetics when we are not. Or not even close to it.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: May 05, 2018 02:04AM

I enjoy kombucha at times, but nowadays I only drink it on an empty stomach, with sufficient time before I am going to eat a meal. What I notice is that if I drink kombucha with a full belly, I feel bloated.

On the other hand, I make a fermented beverage from fruit juice and Effective microorganisms, or EM (like EM-1 or SCD Essential probiotics), 1 ounce of EM with 15 ounces fruit juice, fermented at room temp for 3 days. If I drink this EM concoction, even during or right after a meal, I don't feel bloated.

I think the difference is kombucha has acetic acid in it, while EM only has lactic acid. I think lactic acid doesn't interfere in digestion like acetic acid does.

More about the magical properties of EM here A Brief Introductory Note Regarding SAM Type 4 Microbial Consortia (including EM) and PNSB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2018 02:13AM by Prana.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables