Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

sauerkraut
Posted by: ahappycamper ()
Date: April 06, 2015 05:39AM

hi everyone, i made my first batch of saurkraut with red cababge and beets and it has been exactly one week since ive made it. i had the bubbles for the first days and now it seems theyve gone down a little so im assumig its ready to eat now? i just want to make sure that im not poisoning myself incase im not aware of something that looks off. also, am i supposed to scrape the bubbly, foamy stuff off the top before i eat it and just leave the brine? thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2015 05:40AM by ahappycamper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sauerkraut
Posted by: Ela2013 ()
Date: April 08, 2015 01:59PM

I used to make a lot of raw salt-free sauerkraut. It was usually ready in about 2 weeks, but depending on how sour and tangy you want it, you can let it ferment some more. Taste it and see if it's tangy enough. You can let it ferment for about 1 month, but I believe it becomes too soft if left too much time to ferment, it happened to me. I liked it to be tangy but still crunchy.

My sauerkraut made some foam when I was pushing down the cabbage with the bottle to release the air, but I had no problem with the foam as it went away. I never had to remove any bad parts of the top sauerkraut before eating it. You just need to taste the outer leaves/layer to see if it tastes good.

I read that in order to get the real probiotics, you need to let the sauerkraut ferment for a longer period of time, like 1 month or so I guess. Some let it ferment for several months, but I believe they do use salt. I used only water to ferment my sauerkraut, so I didn't want to risk letting it few months.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raw vegan for life. Vegan for the animals. Raw for my health.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables