Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Foul smelling gas
Posted by: NappyVeganRuns ()
Date: April 06, 2015 07:15PM

I am 100% fully raw vegan. I have been raw for close to two years. My diet consists of smoothies, salads and lots of fresh fruit and veggies. I don't consume raw nuts only raw flax and hemp seeds in smoothies. I don't add sweeteners or salt or oil to my meals. I am a runner (currently running about 65-70 miles a week)- so I usually have a very large appetite and since fruits digest quickly I find myself eating frequently.
I've recently been encountering some digestive issues and I'm not sure what causes it-- but from time to time I experience bloating and bad gas. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Foul smelling gas
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: April 06, 2015 07:49PM

Perhaps the smoothies are no longer working for you, even though they did in the past. One thing you might try is to simplify the smoothies by taking out the fats. See if you can keep your smoothies to 2 to 3 ingredients only, and no fat.

Posted by: Kiwibird ()
Date: April 06, 2015 07:57PM

Have you tried keeping a food log to see if theres a pattern? It may be a particular fruit or vegetable, or perhaps a combination, that's causing the issues.

Posted by: NappyVeganRuns ()
Date: April 06, 2015 10:08PM

Thanks you guys! Really appreciate the feedback!@kiwibird--I sort of have done a log and noticed that whenever I add flax seeds or large amounts of kale (I usually add about 2 1/2 cups of kale to smoothies) I wind up with a bloated tummy. @Prana -- my hair has changed tremendously (it's weaker and thinner and breaking) since my diet is low fat raw I feared that I wasn't getting enough protein so I started adding seeds to my smoothies ( I don't use almond or any kinds of milk).

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: April 06, 2015 10:39PM

You can still eat those fats, but put them in your salad dressing instead of your smoothie.

Date: April 07, 2015 01:41AM

I have only been eating raw for about 8 months, and personally find I feel better when I eat a couple avocados (in a week, not every day!). I've also been sprouting seeds for fats and protein. Do you sprout at all?

One other thing I forgot to ask (can be a rhetorical question), if you're a woman, could the bloating and GI issues have anything to do with eating those foods and your cycle?

Date: April 07, 2015 01:42AM

Prana Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can still eat those fats, but put them in your
> salad dressing instead of your smoothie.

Curious what the difference is in adding them to a dressing instead of a smoothie (since I also include some fats in my diet)?

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: April 07, 2015 02:20AM

>- my hair has changed tremendously (it's weaker and thinner and breaking) since my diet is low fat raw I feared that I wasn't getting enough protein so I started adding seeds to my smoothies ( I don't use almond or any kinds of milk).

many vitamin and mineral deficiencies can cause this, as well as too much stress (too much running?), so it's hard to know without checking. make sure of enough b12 and d.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: April 15, 2015 07:40AM

I guess too much running is not good for your health.
high-intensity interval training is preferred.

[fitness.mercola.com]

Posted by: Vitality ()
Date: April 19, 2015 06:45PM

Foul smelling gas is almost always due to protein putrefaction in the intestines. I don't see how you possibly could have foul smelling gas on a low fat and low protein diet so try that. Or go only fruit for a few days until the gas becomes odorless (as it should be).

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: April 19, 2015 07:32PM

Anything that cannot be properly digested will produce gas.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables