Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Mason jar sprouting- need some help
Posted by: Kiwibird ()
Date: April 10, 2015 05:17PM

I have VERY limited space in which to do sprouting, so this kind of setup is about as good as I'm going to get for now:

I have been half-heartedly sprouting in (only 3) mason jars and would like to get into a better routine so I can consistently have sprouts every day. I have been procrastinating about this badly. I need help figuring out how to get started and a rotation schedule. I have gathered up all the mason jars I own and cut plastic screen for the lids (which is what I've been doing). I have 6 quart jars, 12 pint jars and 8 of those short jars I though I may be able to do soil-free wheatgrass. Currently, I have had luck with mung beans, broccoli, radish and a "sprouting mix". I would like to try wheat and chia seeds too. Any help on how to best utilize what I have to work with to end up having sprouts every day would be much appreciatedsmiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mason jar sprouting- need some help
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: April 11, 2015 04:38AM

One easy one to start with is mung bean sprouts.
Very nutritious and cheap. You can get some seeds at a health food store.
1. soak in water for 6-8 hours
2. drain
3. water twice a day

They should be ready to eat after 3 days

You could do the same with lentils, wheat berries or other seeds

[sproutpeople.org]

[sproutman.com]

Date: April 11, 2015 03:27PM

Thanks RP for responding. I have been sprouting mung beans, broccoli, radish and a sprout mix, but not frequently enough to yield sprouts every day.

I was more wondering what would be the best use of the space I had (i.e. how many jars of what sprouts), and also if I could do wheatgrass in the short jars, or what kind of sprouts would work best in those?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2015 03:28PM by Kiwibird.

Date: April 15, 2015 08:17AM

From the picture of your sprouting equipment I see above, you have enough jars to have sprouts every day.

I live by myself and have 8 mason jars for sprouting.
The key is how much sprouts you want to eat every day.

From the time you soak seeds and have sprouts ready to eat it takes about 4 days.
If you eat half of a jar per day, you can space yourself by soaking seeds in one jar per day, or two jars every other day.

Some seeds do not sprouts well in jars so you may need sprout bags or other mediums.
But seeds like mung beans, lentils, wheat berries are very good sprouting in jars and are very rich in nutrients. But fenugreek, flax, and chia are super rich but may not do well in jars. So do not limit yourself to jars.

Wheatgrass will not do well in jars. You can buy couple of plastic containers at a store for less than 5 dollars for your wheatgrass. You have enough space to grow wheatgrass. I prefer to grow my wheatgrass in soil but you could do it without soil. Wheatgrass are more than sprouts, they are greens, they cannot be moved around in jars, the seed need to make roots in one direction, and leaves in the opposite direction looking for the sun light.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2015 08:31AM by RawPracticalist.

Date: April 15, 2015 04:00PM

Thank you. I was thinking the wheatgrass may or may not work in the short jars and I will probably just end up recycling them as I can never find a use for the dang things! Do I need to buy the expensive "soilless" wheatgrass spouters online or is there some kind of "DIY" setup that would work?

I am curious what things like flax and fenugreek sprout in if they don't do well in jars? I have been researching the benefits of sprouts and want to include a lot more in my diet than I currently am, and in a bigger variety. It seems as though learning the ins and outs of sprouting is as complex as learning the ins and outs of gardening!

Date: April 15, 2015 10:38PM

Kiwibird Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

You lack space, so building up using shelves is the way to go. Those jars will only give you a small amount of sprouts during the week, but maybe that is your goal.

Personally l think you need:

* a lot more jars
* bigger jars
* draining racks

The key could be to:

* buy big drip containers
* build up to the cealing
* put those drip trays on each big shelf
* use a small step ladder to reach up high.

Note:

* sprout most seeds in the dark except for greens.

Here is an example of a small set up l have, but sometimes the jars increase to over 40 jars at a time. Sometimes my microgreens rotation has been 120 trays (MASSIVE). See...if you put racks on shelves going up to the cealing you could manage it much better.

Also see how l grow flax and chia sprouts (scroll down slightly):
[www.thesproutarian.com]

The key

If you wish to sprout everyday you need to make sure you soak enough seeds everyday. For me l can soak 8 - 9 jars of seeds per day, for you, you might want to start soaking 3 jars of seeds per day/night and try to keep up with that. Whatever happens, your life will never be the same again because the sprouts MUST be tended to everyday. Sprouting everyday is a big learning curve and could take over 1 year to really get into the swing of things where it is easy and natural. Over a few years you can get so connected with the sprouts that you can read them pretty intimately and will get it down to an artform.

A sprouting lifestyle takes lots of adjustment, so try not to get discouraged. The sprouts are the very finest food and it is worth the effort for normal people to eat a large portion of sprouts each day.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: April 17, 2015 12:57PM

More jars and more sprouting is a good thing but it is better to go small in the beginning and build up gradually as your level of excitement and interest grow.
Otherwise you will loose interest.

Just like those coming from SAD and want to be 100 percent raw in just few days,
that does not usually work.

The Sproutarian is correct but that is at the level of the expert we are looking up to.

Growing wheatgrass is very easy and you do not need expensive equipment, you can actually use kitchen cooking container. All you need is wheat berries, potting soil, and a container.

Here are some pictures I posted earlier, if you look on the right the containers used for barley grass are simple cheap kitchen equipment, the one of the far right is used for baking. The one in the middle cost me 1 dollar at one dollar store.
So few dollars and few minutes of sprouting I have enough grass juices for one entire week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2015 01:01PM by RawPracticalist.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables