Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw vegan "pasta dough" recipes for "raw project"
Posted by: Kiwibird ()
Date: April 20, 2015 05:38PM

So heres a challenge for everyone who would like to contributesmiling smiley

I am trying to find some form of "dough" that can be run through my new omega juicer on the pasta noodle attachment. Curious if there is any ingredients to be used that could create a basic "pasta dough" that could be made into noodles, chopped up and dehydrated. Nut flours or grain flours are ok, I more need a binder to replace eggs (thinking ground flax?).

My feathery "raw buddy" would like to help others of his "kind" break their addiction to disgusting nutritionally-void processed pellets with a raw vegan versionwinking smiley Actually, I keep getting a million questions on some bird forums I'm on about why I feed my bird a fruit+veg heavy diet and shun commercially made pelleted diets. Sadly, many of these special creatures eat food that looks like this:

And the owners can't get them to eat fresh produce because the bird doesn't recognize it as foodsad smiley I thought perhaps I could come up with a raw pelleted diet myself and share the recipe for those interested in getting more fruit and veg in their birds diet packaged in a "food" they recognizesmiling smiley.

I think the easiest way to make a raw vegan version would be by making noodles using nuts+grain flours, mixing them with fresh fruit+veg juices, then cutting up the noodles and dehydrating them. Looking at the following "flavors"(juices):

Red- Strawberry-Beet
Orange- Carrot-Orange
Yellow- Sweet potato- Yellow bell pepper
Green- Kale-Broccoli
Blue- Blueberry-Cinnamon (most birds go nuts for cinnamon)
Purple- Red cabbage- Tomato

Anyone have any ideas what I can use for the "flour" and "binder" to get this project started?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw vegan "pasta dough" recipes for "raw project"
Posted by: Tai ()
Date: April 20, 2015 08:55PM

Kiwi wrote
Anyone have any ideas what I can use for the "flour" and "binder" to get this project started?

Tai:
The reason wheat is used is because the gluten in it is very sticky, and it's easy to make noodles with it. I have sprouted wheat for two days and then run it through my twin gear with a blank on and it comes out as a very sticky dough. I have made manna bread with it. I am gluten sensitive, but sometimes I make it for others. The one extra step that I never did was to ferment it (with a special sourdough starter) to make a sourdough, which is the best thing to further break down some gluten. The bubbles that form means that some gluten is further broken down, although some remains.

So wheat is the easiest to use because it sticks the best, but the asians and russians have done well with buckwheat. If it were me, I would try sprouting it for one day and using the wet dough. If you needed a dry flour, I would sprout it for a day, then dehydrate and then powder it with a grain mill.

SInce it is for parrots, I would pick whatever grain is the healthiest for them.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: April 20, 2015 09:30PM

The two non-grain binders are flax and chia seed. But you need to know the ratio of fat to carbs for the bird food.

Whenever I overeat flax crackers, I feel blah for hours. Adding too much flax or chia can ruin a recipe by making it too heavy.

Some people say Chia seed is too expensive. I saw it for $2.50-$3 lb at the mexican market. I heard that chia seed is not sprayed, but I don't know if it's true. I bought it for $10/2 lbs organic at costco. Otherwise, it is $10 a pound organic in bulk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2015 09:31PM by Tai.

Posted by: Kiwibird ()
Date: April 21, 2015 06:19PM

Thanks Tai. I think I will experiment with buckwheat since it's a seed and more natural than a grain for birds. For the pellets I need a dry flour to mix in juice with to form the dough. I also think the idea of "sprout dough" is great! Most parrots like bread, so I'll mess around with making some kind of dehydrator sprout bread treats with fruit or veg in it too (I may also try some for myself, perhaps some garlic breadsticks to go with my spiraled veggies and raw lasagne). Of course, all of this is very "experimental" and may end up in the compost bin if it doesn't turn out. I'll start with just a small batch to see.

I just hope to come up with a good recipe others can follow easilysmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2015 06:22PM by Kiwibird.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: June 25, 2015 10:15PM

I want to see the updates and photos to how this project turned out!

Tai I feel fat when I eat too much flax

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables