Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Vomiting after eating raw mushrooms
Posted by: Ela2013 ()
Date: May 16, 2015 01:54PM

After eating raw mushrooms (washed, peeled, sliced and marinated for 1 day and 1 night in lemon juice) for lunch, I felt I couldn't eat anymore, I felt nauseated and like vomiting, so I threw away the rest, brushed my teeth, and I immediately vomited the mushrooms. I felt sick, and after a break, I vomited again, also mushrooms. Then round 3 of vomiting followed. And I must say it was quite a painful and rather violent process. It's not the first time I eat raw mushrooms and then I vomit, it happened once in the past. The type of mushrooms that caused vomiting were the regular large champignon mushrooms. This time I definitely learned my lesson, I'll never eat mushrooms ever again sad smiley

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raw vegan for life. Vegan for the animals. Raw for my health.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vomiting after eating raw mushrooms
Posted by: brome ()
Date: May 16, 2015 08:03PM

The edibility of the various mushrooms has been developed for the cooked mushroom only. There are poisons called heat labile that are deactivated by the heat of cooking. Cooking destroys the poisons in those mushrooms. Never eat raw mushrooms. They're probably all poisonous raw.

Except for the Truffle, a true fruit that the fungi makes delectable so animals will eat it. The Truffle is meant to be eaten raw. One Truffle though could cost hundreds of dollars! So you would need to figure out how to raise your own.

Two truffles fetch $330,000

[www.today.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2015 08:10PM by brome.

Date: May 16, 2015 08:28PM

Here's the Wikipedia article on Truffles:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: May 16, 2015 11:05PM

Brome, I don't know what country you're living in, or where your references are from, but here in Australia we have different types of mushrooms and most everyone eats them raw and there are never any problems whatsoever.

The only time there are problems are when people go into the wild, or pick mushrooms growing around the place - but never commercially grown ones.

Ela,
Could it have been the lemon or the marinating, or most likely the source of the mushrooms? If you come to Oz you can eat all the raw mushrooms you like.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: May 17, 2015 01:25AM

ela,

for sure difficult to digest. not a good food. also depends on what may have still been in digestive system.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: May 17, 2015 03:21AM

By Paul Stamets, mushroom expert

Should you consume raw mushrooms and/or mushroom mycelium?

No, absolutely not! Raw mushrooms are largely indigestible because of their tough cell walls, mainly composed of chitin.
Dr. Andrew Weil advises, in agreement with other experts, that mushrooms must be cooked! “Mushrooms have very tough cell walls and are essentially indigestible if you don't cook them. Thoroughly heating them releases the nutrients they contain, including protein, B vitamins, and minerals, as well as a wide range of novel compounds not found in other foods,” (Prevention, Feb 1, 2013).
Raw mushrooms and raw mycelium may pose potential health hazards from harmful pathogens and heatsensitive toxins—causing gastrointestinal irritation and allergic reactions, such as skin rashes.1

(* Two exceptions: Truffles are eaten for flavor, not for nutritional value, and are typically consumed raw or lightly cooked. Mycelium must be neutralized by heat—or, alternatively by solvents such as alcohol—but in any case, mycelium should not be consumed raw. Physicians and medical experts do not recommend ingesting raw, living mycelium.)

How can one safely use mushrooms?

By consuming mushrooms or mushroom products that have been cooked, or heat-treated.*
Proper heat treatment denatures toxins, softens fungal tissues, and allows our natural digestive enzymes to access and utilize the inherent benefits of both culinary mushrooms and mushroom supplements

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: May 17, 2015 02:23PM

I don't really consider mushrooms a food (for me). I'm sorry you got sick.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: May 17, 2015 03:03PM

BJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Brome, I don't know what country you're living in,
> or where your references are from, but here in
> Australia we have different types of mushrooms and
> most everyone eats them raw and there are never
> any problems whatsoever.
>
> The only time there are problems are when people
> go into the wild, or pick mushrooms growing
> around the place - but never commercially grown
> ones.
>
> Ela,
> Could it have been the lemon or the marinating, or
> most likely the source of the mushrooms? If you
> come to Oz you can eat all the raw mushrooms you
> like.

yes could have been the lemon or the marinating, but
it was a large amount - so could have been the mushrooms.
people who "have no problems"
1. likely don't eat that much
2. are not cleaned out like ela. the more clean, the more bad things rejected.

Date: May 17, 2015 08:06PM

Thank you so much everyone, your posts are very useful.

I believe the marinating lemon juice was fine, it tasted very fresh even after 1 day and 1 night, as opposed to the one in the previous batch that I ate the day before (which I let marinating for 2 days and 2 nights), which tasted kind of like wine, but, surprisingly, it didn't cause any issues to me. Or maybe it was a delayed reaction combined with this new batch.

I didn't eat a lot of mushrooms, like around 500 g before marinating, but in the marinating process they compressed a lot, they got soft and I'm sure they weighed a lot less. But I can definitely say that I vomited all of them.

Prior to my mushroom lunch I had 2 large bananas, but earlier in the morning, so I'm sure I already digested them by lunch time.

The source of the mushrooms could be the cause, as they were conventional ones, I got them at the farmers market, and at one point I thought I saw on one of them a hint of what looked like mold or something. And another mushroom was kind of soft in the middle, maybe this was the cause. I did wash and peel them.

Indeed, I noticed this too: the cleaner I eat, the more my body keeps rejecting the not-so-optimal foods (even if I eat these foods in their raw state). Which, after all, at least in my opinion, is a good thing. I guess there is always something new to learn and adjust to.

I read a lot on the internet about eating raw mushrooms ever since this incident and I now can say that indeed raw mushrooms aren't to be eaten (only cooked, if at all). Here is a good article: [www.mykoweb.com]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: May 17, 2015 09:48PM

I do like mushrooms, I eat them in salads sometimes, or I like the stuffed mushroom recipe in the dehydrator.

Chanterelles grow wild here and they feed people. I am sure its better than cooked food.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: May 17, 2015 11:38PM

"people who "have no problems"
1. likely don't eat that much
2. are not cleaned out like ela. the more clean, the more bad things rejected."

Yup, anyone who doesn't feel negative effects from foods you and the N.H. crowd do not eat just isn't as clean. Or you just falsely believe certain foods are harmful when they actually aren't. Or you have an inferior immune system so you experience more dramatic effects.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: May 18, 2015 05:57AM

Sorry to hear you had this experience. Could it be that it is the processing process might have something to do with it? I love portabella mushroom with avocado etc on it, and it never gave me any issues. I just eat them raw as is, without soaking or dehydrating. I hope your mushroom issue sorts itself out.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: May 18, 2015 05:36PM

A local expert (very very good) on mushrooms, a doctorate professor of mycology at the local university, was crippled by some mushrooms he ate, with severe liver and kidney damage.

Poisons in a mushroom can vary widely from area to area. And poisoning can be subtle. You may feel just fine but still have suffered some damage to your internal organs. After all people can do fairly well with 1/2 of their kidneys or liver gone. And to eat mushrooms raw greatly increases the risk. Why take the chance?

Very good article:

[www.mykoweb.com]

Agaricus bisporus is the mushroom most commonly sold in stores. Also known as the champignon mushroom.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2015 05:44PM by brome.

Date: May 20, 2015 11:54AM

Thank you so much, Gosia and Brome.

Yes, I didn't have any mushrooms ever since the incident, so it solved out great by not eating them smiling smiley

Those mushrooms I ate were indeed Agaricus, the worst kind in my opinion.
I saw wild mushrooms in the farmers market, but I read that you shouldn't buy wild mushrooms from just anyone, but only from certified producers. And these ones I saw were being sold by some gipsy people who say they pick them themselves, but I don't trust them.

So yeah, no more mushrooms for me...never...

Btw, yes, Brome, that's a great article indeed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2015 11:55AM by Ela2013.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables