Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

My new 'baby' + your favorite dehydrator recipes!
Posted by: Kiwibird ()
Date: May 20, 2015 09:46PM

I have been wanting this dehydrator for a while and finally saved up enough to order itthumbs down All stainless, 8 trays, made in the USA and perfect size for my kitchen cart. I just love it! Wish my hubbies espresso maker could go elsewhere, but I guess it's fine for the dehydrator to be on the bottom shelf since it fits so perfectly. I actually was able to get rid of some superfluous pots and pans I had down there since I only rarely cook anymore and my husband never cooks lol.

Already have some tomatoes and kale chips in it. Planning to try some burgers and "buffalo" cauliflower bites later this weekspinning smiley sticking its tongue out. The round Nesco one I've been using was such a pain I rarely dehydrated anything because it was such a terrible shape. I can't wait to start dehydrating more as I continue being 100% (or very, very close to) raw. Curious what forum members favorite dehydrator recipes are?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My new 'baby' + your favorite dehydrator recipes!
Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: May 22, 2015 08:28PM

Congrats, Kiwibird! That looks like a very nice dehydrator. I've never heard of that brand before. Is it brand new to the market? How do you like it so far?

Here are a few of my tips - for best flavor of greens never go over 95 F and use the paper lined floor of the dehydrator (or a cake rack) as additional shelf space.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: May 23, 2015 12:53AM

I use mine everyday. I have had one since 2004 at the Tree of Life.. They last forever. My favorite recipe would be red bell peppers stuffed with a nice nut pate and dehydrated.

Date: May 23, 2015 08:22PM

SueZ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Congrats, Kiwibird! That looks like a very nice
> dehydrator. I've never heard of that brand before.
> Is it brand new to the market? How do you like it
> so far?
>
> Here are a few of my tips - for best flavor of
> greens never go over 95 F and use the paper lined
> floor of the dehydrator (or a cake rack) as
> additional shelf space.

Thanks SueZ. I don't think they are brand new, just a relatively unknown brand because they are a small company. I have had a tofu press from them for quite some time (before I went raw). [www.rawrutes.com]

So far, so good. I love the timer and the stainless trays. They also just have a fan too, so I don't actually have t have any heat at all (though from my understanding, 118-ish is about the highest you'd want to go for raw foods correct?).

Date: May 23, 2015 08:28PM

coconutcream Wrote:
> I use mine everyday. I have had one since 2004 at
> the Tree of Life.. They last forever. My favorite
> recipe would be red bell peppers stuffed with a
> nice nut pate and dehydrated.

This dehydrator better last a long time! It was well over $500 after shipping and getting a couple of those silicone sheets for the trays. I think it will be in near-daily use between me and making my bird treats.

Stuffed peppers sound delicious! Any pics of how yours came out?

Date: May 24, 2015 01:26AM

Kiwibird Wrote:
> SueZ Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Congrats, Kiwibird! That looks like a very nice
> > dehydrator. I've never heard of that brand
> before.
> > Is it brand new to the market? How do you like
> it
> > so far?
> >
> > Here are a few of my tips - for best flavor of
> > greens never go over 95 F and use the paper
> lined
> > floor of the dehydrator (or a cake rack) as
> > additional shelf space.
>
>
> Thanks SueZ. I don't think they are brand new,
> just a relatively unknown brand because they are a
> small company. I have had a tofu press from them
> for quite some time (before I went raw).
> [www.rawrutes.com]
>
> So far, so good. I love the timer and the
> stainless trays. They also just have a fan too, so
> I don't actually have t have any heat at all
> (though from my understanding, 118-ish is about
> the highest you'd want to go for raw foods
> correct?).

That looks like a company with high quality stuff. That's cool that your dehydrator has a chalkboard front. I have to use post it notes with mine.

Yeah, they say not to exceed 118F for raw but Excalibur say that it's best to go around 140F for the first hour when you are dehydrating a full load of pretty moist raw foods - for several reasons.

If you don't already have it I highly recommend their book as it's very comprehensive, well organized, and saves a lot of time by taking a lot of the guess work out of the process. Amazon has used copies for $11. It's $30 new ...

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: May 24, 2015 04:08AM

Suez Gabriel Cousens says the same thing, that you can dehydrate at 145 for the first hour and this will make the dehydrating time cut in half almost, it sweats out all the liquid. It doesnt cook until an hour or two sometimes. Thats what he says. For fanatics like me. ahaha

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: May 24, 2015 04:12AM

BEWARE of "Sucking Up suez"

[consciouslifenews.com]
I Was a Paid Internet Shill: How Shadowy Groups Manipulate Internet Opinion and Debate

Each popular poster was classified as “hostile,” “friendly,” or “indifferent” to my goal. We were supposed to cultivate friendship with the friendly posters as well as the mods (basically, by brownnosing and sucking up), and there were even notes on strategies for dealing with specific hostile posters. The info was pretty detailed, but not perfect in every case. “If you can convert one of the hostile posters from the enemy side to our side, you get a nice bonus. But this doesn’t happen too often, sadly. So mostly you’ll be attacking them and trying to smear them.”
[consciouslifenews.com]

Date: May 24, 2015 04:53AM

suvine Wrote:
> Suez Gabriel Cousens says the same thing, that you
> can dehydrate at 145 for the first hour and this
> will make the dehydrating time cut in half almost,
> it sweats out all the liquid. It doesnt cook until
> an hour or two sometimes. Thats what he says. For
> fanatics like me. ahaha

Yeah, in one of Gabriel Cousen's books he said he got it from Excalibur's research. It really works out well and the dehydrating food doesn't "cook" at all - it barely gets even warm. When the hour is up I take a few seconds to dry off the soaking wet walls and the back of the door of the dehydrator to keep the humidity down for the rest of the cycle.

The research is solid. If you're going to be a fanatic you may as well be fanatical about going with methods that work better and are more efficient, IMO. You'll never know how well it works unless you try it.

*** CC, I doubt this method works for those round stacking bottom heated dehydrators. I'm assuming yours like that, which got broken, has been replaced by the upgraded Excalibur type dehydrator.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 05:02AM by SueZ.

Date: May 25, 2015 11:46AM

I did try bringing the heat up a little, then turning it down with some apple chips yesterday. It did seem to speed up the time. I will be adding that book next time I order on Amazon. The dehydrator came with a little "guide" but it's very basic.

Posted by: Manta91 ()
Date: May 28, 2015 08:32PM

Congrats Kiwibird, and have fun with your new dehydrator! I love mine, though don't use it terribly often. I use mine primarily for crackers and sprouted buckwheat granola -- especially great on the occasion that I have "carby" cravings.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: May 29, 2015 12:29AM

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 31, 2015 04:12AM

gosia

how did the raw pizza crust hold up without dehydrating

very interesting recipe

luvvvvveeed seeing the GREEN pizza!!

Date: May 31, 2015 04:38AM

Oh, the buckwheat and carrot crust needs to be dehydrated. Sorry!

Basically, you have two options:

1) Make the dehydrated buckwheat and carrot crust and use it as a flatbread and spread whatever you like on it. For example, you can spread the blended nuts, then blended greens and avo on it, and other ingredients (as shown in the video) - which implies you get a pizza.

2) Make the dehydrated buckwheat and carrot crust first, then spread the blended nuts, then blended greens and avo, and other ingredients on it, and dehydrate further. You end up with a pizza, which you can also think of as a tastier flat bread. When ready, you can cut up fresh stuff and spread on it as well, such as tomato or cucumber.

smiling smiley

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 31, 2015 08:02PM

oh okay cool rawgosia
thanks

that's pretty neat
green pizza looked sooo green..i loved it!

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: June 02, 2015 02:17PM

What's the difference between using a dehydrator or baking things at low heat in an oven? Nothing if you eat cooked food, but for people who still want to eat lightly cooked foods and claim that they are raw it soothes their conscience.

Date: June 02, 2015 02:41PM

Rawgosia- I will definitely try your tacos soon! They look deliciousspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: June 03, 2015 11:29AM

la_veronique, green pizza is really green. These days when I make it once in a while, I use a huge bunch of greens, more than in the video!

Kiwibird, I should make these tacos some time too. I have not made them in ages! I was really inspired by my visit at Veggie Bar where they serve them. I would go there every day I was in Melbourne to get some.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: June 04, 2015 12:22PM

A little note: cashews are not really raw. So please use pine-nuts or soaked sunflower seed with soaked sesame seeds instead. I updated my taco recipe page.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: October 03, 2015 04:38AM

DId someone say BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER BITES???

GREAT WRAP RAWGOSIA

Date: October 11, 2015 07:59PM

It is finally cool enough out to run my dehydrator again! Summer hit (record heat here) and the dehydrator went on vacation for a while. Been making lots of apple chips, kale chips (a nacho cheese flavor spinning smiley sticking its tongue out), and yes cauliflower buffalo bites are on my menu soon!

Got some new raw uncook books too, so have a wealth of new recipes to try over the fall/winter.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: October 13, 2015 08:20PM

I have some crackers in the dehydrator at the moment - sprouted wheat, soaked flax, and grated pumpkin, with a splash of ume shisho vinegar. They tasted very good before going in, so I'm hoping for great things once they're done! Congrats on your new machine kiwibird it looks fab smiling smiley

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables