Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Went to the dentist today
Posted by: Kiwibird ()
Date: June 09, 2015 01:18AM

I had to see a dentist today to have a cavity filled. It's been there for quite some time (since before I went raw). I could feel it was getting bigger and would likely have started hurting soon. I have been using homemade remineralizing toothpaste since around the time I went raw and have been using a water flosser for several months. Unfortunately, this cavity was probably too big to begin with for the remineralizing toothpaste to help. Besides the cavity, the dentist noted my teeth looked goodsmiling smiley I asked about all the fruit I've been eating. He was fortunately not too judgmental and said my oral hygiene routine was actually very good considering the high levels of sugar I was consuming. Just reminded me to wait for a while after consuming acidic fruits before brushing and that I still needed to use regular floss in addition to the water flosser.

I just had to comment on the office too. I haven't been to a dentist in YEARS seeing as I very rarely have issues with my teeth and generally avoid doctors/dentists if at all possible. HOLY CRAP! I'm used to a little waiting area and you get shown back to the chair to wait for the dentist and that's about it. I wasn't even sure I was in a dentists office, they had a super fancy waiting room with a waterfall and indoor/outdoor seating. I didn't ask for one (or really care) but they gave a full tour of their "facility", on premise lab, 'sedation room' and all kinds of totally random 'spa' crap I'd never imagine at a dentists (some kind of hot wax to dip your hands in, no thanks!). They had a TV for you to watch while the dentist was working (umm, how would I watch TV with 2 people hovering over my face with lights and a bunch of loud instruments in my mouth?). They also really pushed sedation or some kind of pill (probably cost more?) instead of novacaine (which I would figure, being localized, was the least harmful option). The dental assistant just couldn't believe I just wanted to be numbed up with novacaine and get the dang thing taken care of. If I wanted to go to a spa for a relaxing day, I would. She also kept asking if I was ok. It's just a tooth filling! I guess people must really expect some kind of 'special experience' at the dentists these days! Just thought I'd share my experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2015 01:20AM by Kiwibird.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Went to the dentist today
Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: June 09, 2015 01:39AM

That's pretty funny. Dentists are business men and they can run things to their own taste. There seems to be more variety and weirdness than in MD's offices, in my experiences. When I look around at the décor, etc., I'm always wondering how much the fluff stuff I don't need or want is costing me.

Posted by: Kiwibird ()
Date: June 09, 2015 02:23AM

SueZ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's pretty funny. Dentists are business men and
> they can run things to their own taste. There
> seems to be more variety and weirdness than in
> MD's offices, in my experiences. When I look
> around at the décor, etc., I'm always wondering
> how much the fluff stuff I don't need or want is
> costing me.

Salesmen is more like it! On the new patient information sheet, in addition to the 'standard' questions, they also wanted to know "what don't you like about your smile", "are you interested in brighter, whiter teeth?, "are you interested in veneers" (they didn't use veneers, some other fancy way of saying it I don't remember) and "do you snore" (they also had a sleep apnea consultation room). I wonder how much 'extra' I paid for all the fluff I didn't want or need. They didn't seem too happy when I was not interested in regular visits or any of their special services. Apparently any dentists office with the word "smile" in the name is likely going to be unnecessarily fancy.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: June 09, 2015 03:24AM

Kiwibird Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Apparently any dentists office with the word
> "smile" in the name is likely going to be
> unnecessarily fancy.

Lol, that was you cue to run way. Fast. Next time you need a dentist call all the dental surgeon's offices in your area and ask the staff who their dentist is. That's what I do.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: June 09, 2015 04:08AM

Hey Suez, nice post. Good to hear.

People do not need root canals, they kill the teeth and it dies, it turns black, people, the tooth turns black..this is why people have black lines over their teeth, I dont think people know this.

I saw documentary on how dentists now , childrens dentists have quotas to fill on crowns, cavities, veneers and root canals in order to get bonuses. How kids are sometimes overdiagnosed and who does veneers on baby teeth or root canals on baby teeth..they do that now.

When I went last they said they wanted to paint a fluoride coating on all my teeth. I said no thanks.

Once I went to get a cavity filled and I looked in the mirror and they had given me half tooth, like a dog tooth it looked like, it was a half tooth, and the whole thing was metal. THEY GAVE ME A METAL HALF TOOTH!!!

I was so upset, I couldnt smile. I got it fixed.

THANK GOD FOR COSTA RICA right! Everyone is going there or to Mexico for dental tourism. And they are American trained alot of them and its so cheap and they pick you up from your first class hotel in a LIMMO. They fixed all my teeth in one session. Its not like in the USA. They didnt do anything that didnt need to be done.

--

I brish with coconut oil, a jar in my sink, I dip a toothbrush in. I love it. Makes my teeth look so so clean.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2015 04:14AM by suvine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables