Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Genetic Engineering and the Privatization of Seeds
Posted by: Jose ()
Date: January 01, 2007 04:32PM

Something everyone needs to be aware of so it can be stopped in its destructive tracks...

[www.cooperativeresearch.org]

I urge everyone to at least have a look... it's very important to raise public awareness of this issue.

Cheers,
J

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Genetic Engineering and the Privatization of Seeds
Posted by: greenman ()
Date: January 02, 2007 02:01AM

very important issue.

Posted by: ryandvan ()
Date: January 02, 2007 06:03AM

Dito. "Seeds of Deception" is a must read.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 02, 2007 11:43PM

Lets focus on the solution, I don't want nightmares, please. I am so scared of this stuff, you would not even nknow.. Let's just stick together and let the bad make their own mistakes and we good people we just be as a n example, good people who choose good food.

Even the ORGANIC label is not safe..what can we do to cancel this negative with a positive?

I say stop acting like wussy hippies and start having power and putting money to control what is going on! yeah!

oh no.. I want to have children guys I do!! I want them to live in paradise.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 03, 2007 02:30AM

so what are your ideas for solutions?

Date: January 03, 2007 08:32PM

I say we imagine, we have to start in our brains, of the kind of life we want, that will make all the people on the planet happy. We have to stick together, i mean really, online is one thing but we should all make friends in the real world too and inspire others to change.

We are the changers, its up to us..

Date: January 03, 2007 09:10PM

I agree, and I believe there are solutions. But unless we fully understand the problem, we can't really create solutions.

I think that there are several things that can be done.

#1 is education. People need to see the real problem here and lobby for changes. I recommend sharing books and documentaries on the topic with your friends.

#2 is empowerment. We need to stop relying on the mass production food system and need to start creating our own personal and community food sources. (i.e. gardens) This might also include seed banks.

#3 is technology (science). For every evil technology there is an equally powerful good technology. I am aware of substances that reset human genes (ORMES). I am likely to believe that they can reset plant genes. We could use the gardens we have to experiment . . .

-Ryan
radicalvitality.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 04, 2007 12:51AM

coconutcream Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I say we imagine, we have to start in our brains,
> of the kind of life we want, that will make all
> the people on the planet happy. We have to stick
> together, i mean really, online is one thing but
> we should all make friends in the real world too
> and inspire others to change.
>
> We are the changers, its up to us..

I agree. I love meeting people in real life. It was a pleasure meeting you two years ago, hopefully we can hang out more in the future.

I'm very curious to meet all the folks who end up coming thru David Mason's place. We can learn from anyone, especially those on similar (though not exactally the same) paths. smiling smiley

The Internet can be both comforting and isolating at the same time. I see it as a means to an end (educational and social) rather than an end in itself.

Date: January 04, 2007 08:51PM

Hey guys, yeah, i agree with education is the first line of defense. We need to make people aware of what is happening, how the world is changing without anyone really noticing.

But, I don't agree with

"#3 is technology (science). For every evil technology there is an equally powerful good technology. I am aware of substances that reset human genes (ORMES). I am likely to believe that they can reset plant genes. We could use the gardens we have to experiment . . . "

I beleive that for the particular case of food/agriculture, the less science/technology involved, the better. Especially when it comes to tinkering around with things we don't really understand... Keep it simple and get back to basics, that seems best to me.

Cheers,
J

Date: January 05, 2007 05:24AM

I had a feeling I might be misunderstood on that last one. Since 99.9% of technology is misused, that may not have been the best term. There are, however, very powerful natural processes, which, when used in a way that is in harmony with nature can do a lot of good. The basics are a good place to start, but in todays world, they may not be enough. The basics aren't going to keep GE corn from cross-pollinating with organic crops . . . it's aleady happening with native Mexican heirloom crops . . . and no, you don't do something unless you do really understand what you are doing or if you do it, you do so in a controlled environment . . .

Date: January 06, 2007 12:43AM

Instead of trying to change others, let's change ourselves and do the right things.if they see you and you inspire them, they might want to know more and then you can have effect . Each of us is responsible for everything and we need to look within..

C'est vrai, mon amis?

How do we know we are the ones who are rigth anyways, everybody has their own opionions, let's just make it known that we the consumers think tHIS way and we want things to be this way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2007 12:45AM by coconutcream.

Date: January 06, 2007 06:22AM

You are right. I should have listed personal example as #1. I guess that was assumed . . .

As far as knowing what is right? The science is clear enough that there really isn't a lot of room for opinion when you look at it. The only difference of opinion that exists is among those who haven't seriuosly investigated the science or the results that are happening across the country . . . pigs that are fed this stuff giving birth to sacs of water, cows that refuse to eat it (I wish I had the book here, so much more) . . . I think most would agree that there something is wrong here . . .

Date: January 07, 2007 05:06PM

Hey, what I meant is for the whole GE/commercial agriculture industry to be dropped and go back to an organic, locally orientated way of agriculture, so cross-pollination would not occur in my scenario.

<<How do we know we are the ones who are rigth anyways, everybody has their own opionions, >>

I'd like to hear a rebuttal of these criticisms to the privatisation of seeds...

Terminator seeds would either turn poor farmers into “bioserfs,” by requiring them to pay for their seed every year, or drive these farmers out of farming all together. Proponents counter that farmers would not be forced to buy the seed. [Rural Advancement Foundation International, 3/30/1998]
If biotech seed companies were to penetrate the markets of non-industrialized countries, their seeds would replace thousands of locally grown and adapted varieties resulting in a significant loss of the world’s agricultural biodiversity. [Rural Advancement Foundation International, 3/30/1998]
The use of terminator technology would allow the seed industry to expand into new sectors of the seed market, like those for self-pollinating crops such as wheat, rice, cotton, soybeans, oats and sorghum, according to the Canadian-based Rural Advancement Foundation International (RAFI). “Historically there has been little commercial interest in non-hybridized seeds such as wheat and rice because there was no way for seed companies to control reproduction. With the patent announcement, the world’s two most critical food crops—rice and wheat—staple crops for three-quarters of the world’s poor, potentially enter the realm of private monopoly.” The organization notes that according to FAO, wheat, the world’s most widely cultivated crop, was grown on 219 million hectares in 1995. Rice, which was cultivated on 149 million hectares that year, produced the most crop by weight at 542 million tons. [Rural Advancement Foundation International, 3/30/1998]
Critics warn that terminator technology would threaten the farmers’ expertise in seed selection and traditional plant breeding. [India, 12/2/1998]
Some scientists have warned that introducing terminator genes into the germplasm could result in the development of a virus that could disable all non-terminator seeds. “This is perfectly possible,” according to Dr. Owain Williams, of the Gaia Foundation. “Already bacteria have been developed for fixing nitrogen into corn roots, so why not a killer bacteria?” [Independent, 3/22/1998]
Terminator technology is also likened to piracy. Anuradha Mittal and Peter Rosset of Food First/The Institute for Food and Development Policy, write: “Patenting genes the same way you patent software robs Third World farmers. While they and their ancestors developed almost all important food crops, transnational corporations can now blithely patent those crops and make mega profits without in any way compensating traditional farm communities for the original research. Genetic resources taken freely from southern countries will be returned to them later as pricey patented commodities. ‘Terminator’ technology is a way of locking this ‘bio-piracy’ into the very genes themselves.” [San Francisco Chronicle, 3/1/1999]

This is very serious, we will be held to ransom for our very food by large corporations who will run this cartel for profit.

Needless to say this is not good for most people or the planet.

Cheers,
J

Date: January 08, 2007 06:17AM

I agree

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables