Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Acid Reflux Caused by Raw Foods?
Posted by: truckacne ()
Date: June 17, 2015 01:46AM

For about the past week (I've been eating raw for three total weeks as of now), anytime I eat a large amount of fruit, I get a terrible burning sensation in my chest/abdominal area. It burns and doesn't necessarily make me short of breath, but it kind of feels like pressure is also being put on my chest/abdominal area. I'm not positive it's acid reflux but that's what it sounds like. When I say large portions of fruit though, I mean a regular meal's worth of fruit because I'm doing 80/10/10 and large amounts of fruit is what I'm supposed to eat. What I don't understand is how this is even possible. Since I've been on the diet for a few weeks now, you'd think my body would be able to digest these large amounts of fruit I'm eating. Also, I have never had this problem in the past ever when I'd have an 80/10/10 type meal. It's starting to concern me, because it's becoming more frequent. Usually, it would just happen with my morning meal but it happened twice today. Any ideas on what's going on? I don't understand how this could be happening since people with acid reflux disease see vast improvement ON a raw diet. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Acid Reflux Caused by Raw Foods?
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: June 17, 2015 02:18AM

more details might help.

what foods? whole or blended, organic or not, well ripened or not, are you eating when hungry or eating to target certain amount of calories, one type of fruit at a time or not....veggies or not etc

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 17, 2015 02:50AM

I have the same questions Fresh does. Also maybe cut back on the amount of fruit at a time you're eating....listen to your body.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: June 20, 2015 04:50PM

I dont think cooked fooders know how sick they are until they see the difference on raw. Some are iller than others, and have more adjusting to do.

Acid is caused by meat eating, mostly and what happens when we meat eat all our lives, that becomes normal. Then you change that and the body is like WTF. It reacts!
People think its the raw vegan food- Its a lifetime of eating things wrong for our species.

Soon your body will start to recognize that you are eating true food and acclimate to take it greedily! Watch, you will crave it soon enough, the feeling of you on raw.

How are you feeling by the way now?

Posted by: Kiwibird ()
Date: June 20, 2015 05:02PM

I was very sick my first few weeks eating raw. It increased my (prior) reflux, gave me serious digestive issues, made me extremely tired and I ached all over. I expected a detox reaction, but it was very severe for me. Not to mention, there was no way I could physically consume enough calories on raw at that time (had to work up to adequate portion sizes too!). While some people may respond favorable right away, others do not. I went back to consuming a small amount of cooked grains and cooked veggies (down to around 75-80% raw) and then gradually worked up to the over 90% raw I am now. It took the better part of a year. Gradually working up definitely was the way to go for me, I don't know if I could have quit cooked food cold turkey. Perhaps your body needs to gradually acclimate to raw foods rather than suddenly being overwhelmed with them? Just keep your goal in mind, if you aren't already become 100% vegan, and take as long as your body needs to transition to the raw diet. It really does do wonders and makes you feel AMAZING (if you can get past the initial shock to your system)!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2015 05:04PM by Kiwibird.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 21, 2015 07:49PM

Are you mindful of properly combining certain fruits? For instance, now we're in melon season. I NEVER eat cantaloupe and then any other food right away because it is so watery it can cause fermentation quickly. For some reason watermelon is not as bad but I still try to eat both on an empty stomach usually. It goes into great detail--acid and sub-acid fruits, etc. You might be more sensitive than the average person, especially at the beginning when your body is adjusting. The way I look at food combining is an outline. Maybe no need to follow it religiously but when you are 100% raw and getting gastric distress, try it out and see if your condition improves.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables