Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Brian Clement on fruit sugar and weight gain
Posted by: Tai ()
Date: July 14, 2015 08:57PM

What do you all think of Brian's statement that fructose can cause weight gain? His video is about sugar in general, but I am curious about this particular topic that he brings up.

My own personal experience is that when, at times, I have gained weight by over-eating fat, I go on a no-fat diet with lots of fruit and greens and quickly lose weight. It's hard for me to imagine that fruit could ever make anyone fat. Granted, we heard cases of women who gained weight on DR/Freelee's excess calorie high fruit diet, but it seemed in all these cases, the women were eating calories in excess of their needs. So can fruit by itself be blamed?

Start watching at 9:00 minutes

Brian Clement of Hippocrates Health Institute lectures on Sugar - Brian Clement

[www.youtube.com]

What do you think about his statement that fructose is not the preferred energy for the brain and muscles? 13:00

At 13:50, he says that you can get chubby on fruit. Hhhmmm, hard to believe. Look at all the skinny fruitarians. The only raw foodists that I see who gain weight at times are those that include fat in their diet. (Like victoria Boutenko whose video I have of her pouring oil and fatty nuts and seeds into many of her recipes). Whereas the ones that just eat fruit are skinny. Please share your insights.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brian Clement on fruit sugar and weight gain
Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: July 15, 2015 12:24AM

This is an interesting topic Tai. I have not watched the video, will later when I get some time on my hands.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2015 12:31AM by rawgosia.

Date: July 16, 2015 06:30AM

Just because I am posting this does not mean I am a fan of this young man. I thought it was an interesting video, though. It is about weight gain with carbs.

[www.youtube.com]

Debunking Raw Till 4 With T. Colin Campbell & Dr. Greger

At 23:00 minutes on, he gives testimonials of weight gain, but it just seems in these cases, it was due to excess calories.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: July 16, 2015 05:15PM

When I went on 811 I ballooned. Overnight and I took photos of it, I was so shocked. I think it was the banana smoothies. Its just extreme amount of fruit.

I have photos. I was puffy and had rolls over my tight jeans at that time.

Nothing ever made me gain weight and gave me more problems than bananas and dates!

but I still love them!!!

I am listening to this speech. He says sugar notorious for weight gain.
35 million deaths processed sugar. I think he is talking about powdered processed white sugar.

Brian is going over statistics. I can say right now I have always had a sweet tooth.

My brother eats taco bell and not even a stain on any of his teeth, its like a magazine photo of teeth. He just does not eat sweets but he loves Mcdonalds.

Stevia was made illegal by the sugar industry? WOW. Gangster businesses. Some of them.

I always thought sweet is like our nectar. But right not processed sugars. DO people who use raw agave or raw nectar get cancer?

I should send this to my mom.

I know what he is saying guys but do you really want to live in a world without sweet? I tried many times. I did phase 1 at Tree of Life I thought I was going to die from misery, and also at Ann Wigmore I did 4 days without payaya, just green energy soup and I couldnt get out of bed.

I do not think this is what he is talking about. He is talking statistics of regular powdered sugar,

He says he goes to malls and people walk around with $500 dresses, yet they feed their kids soda 99 cents. He says IVY LEAGUE parents precipitate disease by feeding their kids Mcdonalds.

I agree. When I worked at the clinic I would watch the doctors mom shuffle in a mumu to the microwave. With a bag outside her stomach to catch her @#$%&. They would get Mc DOnalds and they purchased cars with cash, had a mansion on South Beach and a 5 mill condo in a skyrise in Brickell. And their kids were batshit crazy, screaming " I want Mc nuggets!!!" and a nurse would have to run to the store other wise they would go hyper. The doctor would take a smoke break and make fun of me for my fruitarian diet. Very wealthy. I told you those clinic were all scamming insurance, taking everything to the limit, each clients folder was like a dictionary, so rich Yet they ate Mc donalds. Its @#$%& up.

Anyways Brian Clement says sugar screws with metabolism. You can look at it and get a headache.

He is talking about glucose now. Yes God. Yes Moses.

I dont care I would pay good money to see him Speak. I like the man.

Just dont put the "blended garlic"on your salad, it is not salad
dressing! I made that mistake and burned my throat at Hippocrates.

FRUCTOSE he says this is in carrot juice...( dont mess with beet juice- he did) it is around 12 minutes. But how does that compare to bottled fructose??

What happens when heavy people become sick> They die and they live lives unlivable, trapped in prison. I know.

Fructose relies on fructonese, and what the hell is that..ahhaa

IF YOU WANT TOI GET CHUBBY he says EAT FRUIT

UM.....in my experience. If you want to be skinny on raw, you have to fast like Cara Brotman or Juliano....or ride bikes like crazy.

I see what he is saying you know there might be a grain of truth in what he says, but its such a small tiny viewpoint there are so many exceptions. Look at the fruitarians...I was one 3 years. Hardest time of my life. It was like a permanent fast. I was working in offices and it was a lonely life. I was extremely skinny on all fruit.
( Non 811) I just ate when I was hungry and sometimes that would be 3 avocados....or durian, or cucumber tomato salad bowl and lots of papaya tropical fruit smoothies, bowls of fruit and fruit soups with blended pineapple celery grapes and floating orange slices.. you can get anywhere in Miami....and bananas.

He says sugarcane is most heavily sprayed and called you dope addict just like the bugs who like the poison.

He says aspartame, kills nerves. Tell that to my mom. She wont listen, she says I WOULD BE DEAD BY NOW.

I like his message. If you go to Ann Wigmore or Tree of Life its the same spiel. They must have some intel.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2015 05:28PM by suvine.

Date: July 16, 2015 05:37PM

HE SAYS CANCER IS A CHILD MOLESTER!! He says it
He says it takes stem cells

I have to make a meme for that

He shows a photo of a cancer cell eating sugar!!! EWWW

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2015 05:42PM by suvine.

Date: July 16, 2015 10:00PM

Suvine:
When I went on 811 I ballooned. Overnight and I took photos of it, I was so shocked. I think it was the banana smoothies. Its just extreme amount of fruit.

I have photos. I was puffy and had rolls over my tight jeans at that time.

Look at the fruitarians...I was one 3 years. Hardest time of my life. It was like a permanent fast. I was working in offices and it was a lonely life. I was extremely skinny on all fruit.

Tai:
very interesting, Suvine. When you gained weight, it seems to match what the other women did...which is to blend bananas and likely get an excess amount of calories. It's like what Dr. Gregor said that you can drink the banana-date smoothies so fast that your body doesn't signal fast enough that you ate too much and to please stop.

So, I assume what you are saying is that when you were skinny as a fruitarian you were not drinking banana smoothies. Is that correct? Can you tell us generally what you were eating on the 811 diet besides banana smoothies? Were you including nuts and avocados in your diet?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2015 10:04PM by Tai.

Date: July 18, 2015 04:36AM

I do not think I was eating any avocados during that phase. I didnt want to be responsible for anything.

Everyone is different and every situation different.

I can say when I stopped eating all fruit I could sleep in longer or earlier I cannot remember but there was definite difference in my sleep cycles.

Its all good. Its all paradise. The mind the imagination....everything is possible.

Thanks for talking to me, di you like my BC memes?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2015 04:36AM by suvine.

Date: July 18, 2015 07:10AM

Yes, Suvine, I like your memes. They were hilarious.

I wonder if Brian's anti-fruit stance has anything to do with his wife. I heard her speak on a video and she said how she used to get headaches eating dried fruit. I will find the video later.

I still want to learn about weight gain with banana smoothies. How many bananas did you put in your smoothies? How fast did you drink them?

Date: July 18, 2015 10:30AM

Tai, since you watched the video, would you be so kind and share something from it that is other than BC's opinion? I have no time to watch it and am keen to know whether there is some evidence-supported notion that eating fruit (ie fruit specifically, not sugar, and not excess calories) can cause weight gain? Is this what he has said in some part of the video? And, did he give some evidence (reference) for this? I have never accounted such notion in any of the scientific papers I came across, and so I find this rather peculiar. Also, hearing of his 'degree' coming from some questionable 'university' makes me hesitate about what I am hearing from him.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: July 18, 2015 12:03PM

I am on a high (sweet) fruit diet and neither skinny nor fat. I am muscular and fit. I would never desire to be skinny, it's not an aesthetically pleasing look (for me). Unless they were uneducated about body types and using colloquialism for "skinny," I don't think anyone would describe me as such. Maybe if I was in loose clothing with my arms covered up.

As far as abs and body fat percentage, I have less body fat the less overtly fat foods I eat. No issues with brain function, strength, or energy on a no-overt fat plan (short-term, as I don't desire long-term with no avocado winking smiley).

Also of note is that whatever plan I am on, I eat enough calories to sustain myself and also plenty of greens.

Date: July 19, 2015 03:18AM

Its the weirdest thing. you drink bananas thinking you will lose weight and opposite happens and everyone think you are in twilight zone. Well I am. I dont get it,

Posted by: NuNativs ()
Date: July 19, 2015 05:38AM

The punchline is that Clement is vehemently anti-fruit and yet he himself is holding many extra pounds, ehhhhh, practice what you preach?!?

Date: July 20, 2015 03:18AM

Yes alot of raw vegans I know are big

Posted by: NuNativs ()
Date: July 20, 2015 03:03PM

suvine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes alot of raw vegans I know are big

Ya, I don't get it. David Wolfe, Clements, Markus is pretty big too...

Date: July 21, 2015 06:22AM

You guys have to try this fatmaker APP

[photofunia.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2015 06:24AM by suvine.

Date: July 22, 2015 08:50AM

Rawgosia wrote:
Tai, since you watched the video, would you be so kind and share something from it that is other than BC's opinion? I have no time to watch it and am keen to know whether there is some evidence-supported notion that eating fruit (ie fruit specifically, not sugar, and not excess calories) can cause weight gain? Is this what he has said in some part of the video? And, did he give some evidence (reference) for this?

Tai:
In my first two posts, I put links to two videos. THe first video is Brian. THe second video is Dr. Gregor and T. Colin Campbell commenting on carbs causing weight gain. I think Dr. Gregor was spot on. He said that theoretically a person could gain weight on fruit and carbs, if they really over-ate, which is what we see followers of Freelee and Durianrider doing. But in practice, as T. Colin Campbell noted, people hands-down lose weight on the whole foods vegan diet, as taught by the vegan doctors.
So for DR's followers to gain weight, it takes some work and packing in the carbs via smoothies and perhaps some processed sugar.

So, after hearing Dr. Gregor, I don't think Brian Clement is totally wrong in theory. But in practice, as T. Colin Campbell stated, the whole foods low fat vegan diet causes weight loss, even without worrying about calorie counting.

I think since Brian Clement has had a weight and metabolism issue most of his life, perhaps for him, already being overweight, he is more cautious about fructose, which he says can lead to weight gain.

I myself have never gained weight from fruit. Just today I drank 3 quarts of frozen berry smoothies, because it was so miserably hot. I have definitely gained weight from nuts and avocados, though. But it's also nice to know that I wouldn't turn into a feather, if I only ate fruit. Look at Fullyrawkristina, who at times gains a little weight and she always eats low fat.

By the way, I have been blending my passion fruit in the vitamix with a vanilla bean and coconut meat and water and have been using that as the "milk" for my berry smoothies. The hard passion fruit seeds blend up pretty well. I have been saving the passion fruit peel and drying it. I read that it can help in asthma. I will be experimenting making teas with it.

Date: July 23, 2015 10:26PM

Tai, thank you very much for clarifications.

Also, thanks for sharing your passion fruit recipe suggestions.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables