Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Edible flowers
Posted by: Tai ()
Date: July 26, 2015 11:51PM

I thought it would be interesting for people to share their favorite edible flowers.

Right now, my ginger plants are flowering and I have been enjoying 1-5 flowers daily. I just ate some with my black figs. Ginger flowers have a slight jasmine fragrance and a delicate ginger sweetness. Ginger flowers are amazing...definitely one of the best treats of the garden.

This spring I ate a lot of aloe flowers. They were sweet when fully opened and neutral when closed. They had a crunch like eating snow peas.

I love adding fully opened roses to fruit salads. They are the sweetest at that time.

I have two kinds of night blooming cactus whose huge white flowers are exquisitely edible. It's like eating silky butter lettuce with no bitterness.

I like making cold infused teas with loquat and honeysuckle flowers.

I am only sharing these handful, because I pick them fresh from my garden.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Edible flowers
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: July 28, 2015 12:33AM

I really love to get into eating flowers but unless you can grow them yourself, you are not sure of the source.
Most are contaminated especially roadside.

Date: July 28, 2015 07:01AM

Raw P:
Most are contaminated especially roadside.

Tai:
Good point.

One can't just go around eating flowers as they please without understanding first what they are doing. Every flower must be studied first to make sure that it is edible. For example, Datura flowers are exquisitely fragrant and beautiful but contain poisonous alkaloids. Datura flowers definitely should not be eaten, as the alkaloids in them are poisonous.

Date: July 28, 2015 10:38AM

Yes Tai, flowers are classified as 5 star foods, which means they contain the most electrical frequency and sunlight according to Brian Clement and Dr Valerie Hunt. Ie, they are a high energy food.

My dream was always to have pink flower juice,but not so easy to find enough flowers to make it. Would have been good to have see how it effected me. Imagine how interesting it would be to consume 8 oz of flower petal juice each morning...I have never done it, but l would like to. smiling smiley

You know what l LOVE about flowers? They give great colour to the diet that very few foods are able to. They add pinks and all types of unique colour frequencies, and l am sure they add something special for the everyday man and women's diet.

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Yes Tai, that Datura is not a good idea, some of the druggies take it for a cheap thrill, but it is very very powerful in it's effects and makes one unaware of what they are doing because they go into dream land. Plants must be selected very carefully.

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: July 28, 2015 06:35PM

What types of nutritious flowers can easily be grown inside?

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: July 29, 2015 12:35AM

I always wait until the flowers have had a chance to be pollinated before I harvest for myself. Today I started harvesting the first of the magnificent tiger lily petals that fell to the ground while a group of maybe nine delicate green iridescent insects of some sort, which I rarely see one of, pollinated the newly sprung open tiger lily flowers.

I try always to make sure the pollinators eat first.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: July 31, 2015 01:08PM

Radish, clover, sage, nasturtium.. all beautiful edible flowers and vibrant hardy plants with amazing health benefits that grow SO easily, honestly all you have to do is plant them and they'll keep coming back year after year. I have them in the garden and love watching the bees enjoying them smiling smiley The leaves are great in juice too.

Here's a pic of my radish flower/apple water kefir
[www.facebook.com]

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 31, 2015 09:42PM

nasturtium
definitely
plus if you are making something for others
and it may not taste so great
just prop it up with nasturtiums
it looks so pretty
that your guests might just appreciate the blandness of your food

its got a sulfury peppery flavor

honestly though
it looks better than it tastes...just being honest.. hey..

Date: July 31, 2015 10:47PM

SueZ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I always wait until the flowers have had a chance
> to be pollinated before I harvest for myself.
> Today I started harvesting the first of the
> magnificent tiger lily petals that fell to the
> ground while a group of maybe nine delicate green
> iridescent insects of some sort, which I rarely
> see one of, pollinated the newly sprung open
> tiger lily flowers.
>
> I try always to make sure the pollinators eat
> first.
>
> [www.youtube.com]
> 0%20%20%20

I was shocked today. I watched while one of the little green iridescent insects packed it's leg fibers with all the tiger lily pollen possible. It looked like she had red pom poms around her legs. I looked these pollinators up and, sure enough, they are actually pretty little bees!

[bugguide.net]

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: August 01, 2015 02:32PM

Ahh such cute bees Suez! And yes La V, nasturtiums make any meal look fancy winking smiley

I picked some sage leaves today then as I walked across the garden I noticed a little bee buzzing around after me. Then I realised I had a bright purple sweater on.. I think it must have mistaken me for a huge sage flower grinning smiley

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Date: August 16, 2015 11:34PM

Today I bought 10 squash blossoms for $2. The farmer is vietnamese and he said they are asian squash, like kabocha. The flowers indeed taste like kabocha! But I am not sure how to eat the green base and stem because it's hairy. Perhaps I will juice them.

Date: August 17, 2015 12:13AM

I always had to open squash blossoms before picking them so there would be no surprises in the kitchen. Earwigs call squash blossoms "home". Around here seldom is there such a home without an earwig in it. Now that I'm raw I no longer care to eat squash blossoms. I wouldn't know how to clean them well enough - knowing what I know.

Posted by: autumn-vegan ()
Date: August 18, 2015 11:56AM

I have borage. Comes back year after year, the cucumber flavored periwinkle blooms pull right off. I also like to grow echinacea, sunflower, and monarda. Monarda has an oregano flavor, excellent in a savory dish. Sunflower is all-purpose. Press their petals on a dessert! I of course keep violas too. Violets of any sort will do from pansy to petunia. I have black hollyhocks, as well as pink. I've got California poppies, calendula, dianthus, and dark blue cornflowers. Someday I want to get some heirloom dahlias. It's work getting all these plants to produce flowers but they're worth the wait and toil! I too have always wondered at the possibility of having enough flowers to juice...hmm. Maybe with a highly productive flowering plant? I add them to my juices, but I've never made an entire juice of them. I love squash blossoms. An excellent salad green is alehoof aka creeping charlie; the plant puts out short towers of edible purple blooms. To keep it from taking over the yard, grow it in hanging baskets. It's very productive. I've often wondered about fresh hibiscus petals! And which lily and orchid varieties to grow for eating! I have long believed flowers are among the most medicinal foods. They are my personal favorite cuisine.

Date: August 18, 2015 12:05PM

"I've often wondered about fresh hibiscus petals!"

They are good. So are Rose of Sharon petals.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: August 20, 2015 08:54AM

There is a wild flower all over Costa Rica that is edible. I pig out. I know what it looks like. But I cant think of the name.

Date: August 20, 2015 02:34PM

SueZ

Thanks for that! Rose of Sharon is edible?!

Date: August 20, 2015 03:12PM

autumn-vegan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SueZ
>
> Thanks for that! Rose of Sharon is edible?!

Yes, they sure are edible. Not only that you if you remove their inner pistils, etc., you can stuff them with pate, which you've added more chopped petals to, and serve them the next day as pretty and nutritious party food.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: August 30, 2015 10:58AM

Rose petals stuffed with nut pate what what what!!

MMMMMMMMMMMMM

with cinnamon

Date: September 01, 2015 07:19PM

Hold on! I can stuff them?! I am going to need pictures as proof of this amazingness hahaha

Date: September 19, 2015 07:04PM

Hi, I finally learned how to make a youtube video. video one is a shot of my ginger plants with one in full bloom. The second video is a fruit salad with the ginger flowers. The third video, I just added some rose petals to the fruit salad. I don't know how to edit a video yet, so it's rough.

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

When I have time, I will make a video on sapote bliss.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables