Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Ghost chili peppers...Hot hot hot!
Posted by: Tai ()
Date: July 30, 2015 01:43AM

Holy smokes!

I just ate my first ghost chili. I got a plant from the nursery and I took one about the size of my thumb tip and put it in my salad dressing and blended. The dressing was for two salads (6 romaine hearts and 2 lbs of persian cucumbers). Woah, it was so hot, neither of us could finish our salads.

It made me sweat a little and I could feel hotter in general in my whole body. It was hot in my mouth, but it was not caustic.

Supposedly these ghost chilis are 1 million heat units. I believe I have a red savina habanero plant and these are rated about 500,000 heat units and they are super hot. Yes, I would say the ghost chili is twice as hot as the red savina habanero. BUT, the savina habanero is hotter going down the GI tract, because there is more pepper that is consumed.

Well, I have to say the ghost chili has lived up to its name and I even bought this one from a standard nursery.

Medicinal Uses

[medplant.nmsu.edu]

Cayenne Pepper is a plant that has many medicinal uses; it covers a wide range of ailments. Most of the medicinal properties it has are due to the chemical that gives it its flavor found in the fruit and seeds. This chemical is known as capsaicin. Capsaicin is said to do many miraculous things medicinally. One of the most miraculous is probably its ability to prevent or even stop a heart attack (7). It increases heart action without raising blood pressure (3). It also thins your blood and reduces the risks of suffering a stroke (11). Another good property that cayenne possesses is it acts as an internal disinfectant it can detoxify the colon and help with eliminative functions (10). Some other medicinal uses of cayenne are of pain relievers, by being put on topically to the area. If you have a cut it can stop the bleeding, or it can be taken internally to relieve pain from stomach ulcers by creating more mucous and coating the wall of the stomach. Capsicum also has properties, which can knock out cold and flu miseries, or when used as a gargle can relieve sore throat pain. People with diabetes may take it to lower their blood sugar levels. There are so many uses of Capsicum some of which are not written here. Cayenne is also very high in vitamin C so it acts as a preventative against respiratory infections and can help strengthen the immune system (11). It has also been proposed that the capsaicinoids might be useful in fighting cancer (5). So cayenne is an all around great medicinal plant that can be used for a very large variety of whatever might be ailing you.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2015 01:46AM by Tai.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ghost chili peppers...Hot hot hot!
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: July 30, 2015 02:31AM

Carolina Reaper – The World’s Hottest Pepper

Date: July 30, 2015 04:02PM

Many around the world are eating more hot peppers
Yet more are getting sicker
Something else is happening.

Date: July 30, 2015 04:43PM

It's totally fine, if you don't want to partake or ever need to.

Really hot peppers are said to stop heart attacks. My uncle once believed my aunt to be suffering from one and he gave her a strong dose of cayenne tincture (my guess was that it was around 300,000 heat units, which is very hot. He claimed it stopped it, and there were witnesses. When my mother seemed to be suffering from a heart attack, I gave her a lot of different herbs and acupuncture which all worked, but if I only had cayenne, I would have used it.

Richard Schulze also made this claim too, as this was one of the main things he used to heal his heart, which had deformed heart valves. The doctors said he would be dead before age 20 without surgery. Ultimately he went vegan and did a ton of juicing and took a ton of herbs, but cayenne was the main food that he used for his heart.

Cayenne is the generic term for hot peppers. Cayenne includes habanero, jalapeno, anaheim chili, african bird pepper, etc.

Cayenne powder stops bleeding and is great for cuts. It does sting initially but if you want a wound to stop bleeding just pour some hot cayenne in the cut. It has to be hot cayenne or it won't work. Hot means 300,000 heat units or up in that range. There is a chinese formula I have that also stops bleeding and is not spicy and does not have cayenne. The main herb is San Qi, but this is hard for westerners to keep handy. I once cut my foot really badly with a broken mason jar and poured hot cayenne all over the wounds. Yes, it stung and felt like it was on fire, but it stopped the bleeding instantly. Same thing happened with my finger once. It also promotes wound healing. So as the wound was healing, I didn't wash the cayenne off.

If you think pouring cayenne into an open wound is crazy, think about the people who do cayenne eyewashes and swear by them. That would be Richard Schulze. I tried that and it was a bit extreme!

I personally have a higher heat tolerance than the average person, but I am still a wimp compared to Lou Corona. Lou can actually juice a whole habanero into his 40 oz juice and drink it down. Tolerance is built by slowing increasing the amount over time.

Raw P, you said people are getting sicker, yet eating more peppers. Well, for some people, hot peppers are the saving grace to a rich, heart-sick diet. Without hot peppers, Richard Sculze would not have been able to bounce back from the rich german diet that killed his father and mother and had been killing him.

I will spare you from sharing about the cayenne, ginger, mustard hot bath and what that is for.

If you ever get an infection that is bothering your throat or ears, raw, fresh, super hot peppers really help (hot as in habanero or jalapeno or serrano....ghost chilis are actually too hot). My favorite hot pepper for sore throat is the Pequin, because they are so small and so fast to chew one and so penetrating.

I would add that cooking hot peppers destroys their magic. It is the raw, fresh juicy pepper that is so wonderful at healing. Dried pepper powder used for stopping bleeding must still be raw and not overheated when dried.

Bon apetit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2015 04:52PM by Tai.

Date: July 30, 2015 06:33PM

Thanks for the expert view on the subject, very informative.
I have not gotten into eating peppers but I have tried to get them into my ferment.
I am experimenting and waiting for the batch to be ready in a couple of day.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 31, 2015 09:39PM

tai

enjoyed this post
a lot

thanks...

its a wonder you did not turn into a ghost
after that chili

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 01, 2015 03:06AM

What is the ghost aspect of all this?

Boo!

Posted by: tezcal ()
Date: August 01, 2015 04:01PM

I love hot peppers

i use a 160,000 hu cayenne pepper in my smoothies, up to a heaping tablespoon.

i'm interested to learn more about the heat unit measurements. I was using 3-4 habanero peppers in my smoothies but the hot factor varied so greatly that i decided to use the cayenne pepper. i found the pepper was actually hotter! i was thinking maybe the dried weight of the cayenne was greater than what the dry weight would have if i dried the habaneros and powdered them

still want to try the ghost pepper. have only seen it once at my whole foods sad smiley

Date: August 13, 2015 03:44AM

I made a big raw salsa today (huge heirloom tomatoes are now overflowing at the farmers market) and added a few really tiny ghost chilis (they were the size of pequins) and it was pleasant. It was a huge bowl that served 5 people. I even added a habanero to spice it up.

I just wanted to report that fully ripe juicy tomatoes really quiet the fiery nature of the peppers and I could eat more spice in the salsa than I could in a salad.

My friend with a sore throat was greatly benefitted by the hot salsa.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: August 15, 2015 05:24AM

I made salsa this week with a tip of jalapeno

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: August 16, 2015 05:42PM

I have peppers growing in my garden I think they are chilies. They turn black then red. Or both. I would like some guidance.

Date: August 16, 2015 09:15PM

Suvine:
I would like some guidance.

Tai:
My advice is to make salsa with the hot peppers in the month of august and september while tomatoes are in abundance. For a nice crunch, I add a lot of persian cucumbers (slices) to my salsa, so that I am not tempted to eat chips with the salsa. I can buy the raw vegan chips, but I still try not to eat those.

Fresh raw hot peppers are medicinal. They benefit your heart, blood pressure, blood circulation, are anti-bacterial, anti-pathogen and can even promote healing injuries and arthritis.

Because they are so good for you, the more you can eat raw fresh, the better. So, eat til your spice threshhold is reached. Your tolerance might be once or twice a week. IT might be once daily. Lou Corona juices a habanero or something like it every day (maybe a jalapeno or serrano) into his 40 oz juice. It's probably one reason he looks so good, because his circulation is good. It's another reason he never gets sick, despite all the raw pathogens he ingests.

I add enough hot pepper to my salsa (heirloom tomatoes) to burn my mouth a little and activate my lymph nodes but not enough to stop me from eating a big bowl. It makes me sweat.

I just bought a pound of bright red jalapenos and 20 lbs of heirloom tomatoes and huge red leaf lettuce with a variety of herbs, like peppermint, moringa and thai basil. The NH people would have more fun if they tried adding some raw vegan herbs and spices to their food.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2015 09:22PM by Tai.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: August 16, 2015 10:16PM

suvine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I made salsa this week with a tip of jalapeno

If you can get to an ethnic grocery store they usually have ripe jalapeno peppers. The ripe ones are red.

If you can't take much heat yet - don't use the pepper's seeds.

You can easily build up a tolerance for more peppers. According to Tavis if you eat enough of them your parasites will decide to leave your body as parasites can't tolerate the heat. I eat the equivalent of two or three Habaneros a day.

If you underestimate the heat of your peppers and set yourself on fire, so to speak, the best thing you can do is add some oil. It works like a charm and immediately. Whereas drinking water will just make things worse.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables