Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

BABY TEETH ARE WEARING AWAY!!!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 02, 2007 04:46PM

My baby's teeth are eroding!!!!
What should I do????
We feed him cooked and raw vegetables and fruits, and whole wheat rice and oat meal. That's all. We never gave him any vitamins... we didn't think we had to.

HELP!!!! Should we take him to the doctor?

He's 14 months old!

Will his teeth grow back before the 6 years old age?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: BABY TEETH ARE WEARING AWAY!!!
Date: January 02, 2007 04:54PM

He's sleeping now, once he wakes up we'll go to the doctor

Hurry! Somebody give us some advice!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 02, 2007 05:29PM

Teeth wear away because the body becomes acidic and uses calcium to neutralize acidity. Grains contain phytic acids, and can contribute to calcium depletion. You might try cutting out the whole wheat, rice, and oatmeal, and include raw sources of calcium like figs, oranges, sesame, oranges, leafy greens, etc. The best source of calcium for babies is mother's milk. Using formula is not the same!

Also important to calcium absorption is vitamin D, and this can be obtained by exposure to sunlight. Does you baby get exposure to sunlight? For babies, its important to use the less harsher hours of the day where the sun isn't too bright, like the morning or late afternoon sun. If you are breast feeding your baby, are you getting sunlight?

Also, is your baby eating foods that stick to his teeth (like dried fruit)? This can cause problems. The dried fruit sticks to the teeth, bacteria grown on the dried fruit particles stuck on the teeth, and the byproduct of their metabolism leaves acids that eat right through enamel.

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: January 02, 2007 06:23PM

Another thing that causes acidity is stress.

Is your home calm and loving?

When we were growing up, my sister and I had a humongous amount of cavities, even though we had very good diets for that time. But we had a father who was a screamer and a mom who was an alcoholic. Stressed out conditions make for hyperacidity and that will definitely affect the teeth.

So - I'm not accusing you of creating that kind of environment for your child, but thought I'd mention this just in case.

Date: January 02, 2007 06:48PM

Thanks you Bryan and Greenie

I think that the point about the stress is unfortunately very applicable to our family, too applicable actually.

I think of something to encourage a happier environment

And we don't have a lot of sunlight here sad smiley
We try to take him outside everyday but it's so cold and there's barely any sun

BRYAN: What about vitamins??? Also is there anyway for the baby teeth to re-grow???????? I was told that once they start to wear away they don't stop!

Oh and I breast feed... is it possible that he's picking up a lot of bad things because of my unfortunate emotional state?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2007 06:52PM by vegan11223.

Date: January 02, 2007 07:18PM

are you brushing? once teeth show themselves it's really important to take great care of them. make sure to rinse the mouth with water after eating anything, brush after meals but not right after eating or drinking something acidic like citrus which weakens enamel, and be sure to brush or at least rinse after breastfeeding as well including at night/in the middle of the night. lots of people believe that breast milk has antibacterial properties that prevent tooth decay but so many mommies i know (raw and not) have experienced the opposite.
this may seem, and in fact BE difficult at first but it's doable and worth it. i didn't brush after night nursing and ended up having to endure my little one being put under to fill eight cavities at once. it was terrible and i would have much preferred some tears over a tooth brush instead.
you most likely will got told here not to take/give vitamin supplements, if you want advice about that i would ask a nutritionist, naturopath or homeopath for some practical and useful information. there are homeopathic remedies for tooth strength and healing as well.
good luck to you! and very happy new year.

also, regarding the stress. you don't need to go crazy or do anything drastic to reduce stress in your life. pick one thing that appeals you and try it for a while, betcha it makes a difference. sometimes even the practice of activily doing something positive for youself is enough. and make sure you are getting enough essential fatty acids. i strongly recommend supplementing while nursing, the baby will take all you have and you need a lot just for you! it affects mood as well so take the max dose consistently, i have found that to make an enormous difference. and b vitamins as well for stress. feel better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2007 07:23PM by coco.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 02, 2007 11:33PM

zThat is crazy weird, I see babies eating fritos with bottles full of soda on the bus and their teetj can't all be eroding. I can see your fright, that is freaky.
Doctors will just GIVE YOU PILLS, and a bill..only go to them for emergencies..well in this case..I would see a dentist. It could be something else, but honestly I think its going to be ok. You are healthy people it seems. maybe his new teeth will come in and be better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2007 11:35PM by coconutcream.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 03, 2007 12:04AM

vegan11223,

The more your improve your health and diet, the healthier your milk will be, the less you need to worry about nutritional deficiencies in your baby. In your diet (and your baby's), increase the amount of raw plant based calcium. Get outside and get as much sun as you can if you don't have that much sun. Exercise some. Reduce stress. Get more rest and sleep if possible. Love yourself more, and your health will increase, and your baby's health will also improve.

In my experience, vitamin supplements are a waste of money. If they make you feel better, then take them.

It is much healthier in the long term to remove the causes of bone and teeth loss. Again, removing the foods that make a body acidic is very important. Reduce grains or better yet no grain. Reduce animal products or better yet no animal products.

If you remove the causes of the tooth decay, the body can grow teeth and even repair enamel damage. The reason most people only see a one-way progression of tooth health (it only gets worse) is because they never remove the cause, they just keep on trying to add things (flouride, fillings, better/high tech teeth cleaning technique, etc).

Figure out the acidity thing. I gave you some starting points. If you baby's enamel is weak, then rinse his mouth after eating acid fruits, or avoid them until his enamel improves. Avoid eating foods that are dehydrated (means cooked foods also, since they have a significant water loss) because of the issue of food sticking to teeth.

Date: January 03, 2007 05:41AM

good advice. hoping for the best and waiting for the permanent teeth to grow in is not so great though. some of those teeth have to last up to 13 years and rot in them can affect the secondary teeth that haven't grown in yet. i work in child care and there are TONS of kids whose teeth are eroding/rotting. it often doesn't look apparent at first if you don't know what to look for.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 03, 2007 08:36PM

Good luck. I like children, I see photos of children, in poor parts of china with black holes in their front teeth, cavities.. and I feel so bad. sorry, not very uplifting..

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: January 04, 2007 07:35AM

GO SEE A PEDIATRICIAN IMMEDIATELY.

Posted by: Witarianin ()
Date: January 04, 2007 01:45PM

Hi,

Not only does Your child pick up "some" of your Emotional state, but .. ALL OF IT.
Said so I Could not mention WHAT YOU Eat is Being Picked UP by your child in 100%.
So if your child is getting some toxins, or parasites WITH food it gets, than IT IS VERY Dangerous!.

Do You have any animals in your home/ environment You spend time, if so Your child IS At risk of toxemia(several others), and since 87% of all human DO HAVE Parasites, it is true to almost 100% population with animals(cats, dogs).. DO SO.

Id Your child gets cooked food, YOU may be creating conditions for parasites to grow, and eat away hormones that regulate teeth growth, and calcium absorbtion.
, If You OVEREAT On refined foods, or even on raw: nuts, seeds../ BREAD : You may be giving Acidic Milk during breastfeeding.. acidic enough to.. cause teeth problems.

Book "the cure for all diseases" by Dr Hulda Clark IS #1 in pointing out causes of diseases that we overlook, like maybe in your case: fungus in your house, that You, Your family, and a little one IS breathing in = paralysing immune system, and allowing for any slightest bacteria to grow freely.

Good luck, and only KNOWLEDGE can change the way You do things.. FOR GOOD. winking smiley

Free, Open source.Healthysmiling smiley
F.E.A.R. is
an acronym that stands for, False Evidence Appearing Real
F.A.I.T.H. - the First Attribute IN Thoughtful
Health

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: January 05, 2007 02:48AM

Well..I have 2 sons, the first one I breast fed for about 6 weeks, then he was bottle fed. He ate the typical diet until he was about 3, then I got Adelle Davis books, like Let's have healthy children and changed his diet to her recommendations. He never had a cavity, and had perfect teeth. He's 30 years old now and he still has strong,straight nice teeth.

My youngest son was breastfed for 2 and 1/2 years, and he ate a typical diet..more healthy then most other kids, but still nothing like raw foods or vegan. He got terrible mouth ful of cavities by the time he was 2..and I think it is due to genetics (they have different fathers) and with breast feeding you want to clean the mouth and teeth after every feeding..breast milk has a lot of sugar and can erode teeth. He had some work done on those baby teeth and really if I would have just thought of him losing all his baby teeth around 5 and 6 yrs. of age I would have skipped the trauma. He also needed braces..and he had them for 4 years.

I think what my oldest son got that my youngest didn't (my youngest did get the breast milk though) was the cod liver oil daily that Adelle Davis recommended..along with the other vitamins..but mostly the cod liver oil..all that Vitamin A and D. But that wasn't until he was 3 years old..and he didn't have any cavities at that time anyway.

So, don't beat yourself up over it..it's hard to tell what is going on. Keeping the mouth clean, free of the plaque that bacteria feeds on is a most important step. Maybe take a cloth or tooth-brush and dip it into water mixed with a few drops of hydrogen peroxide and clean the mouth, and teeth will help, especially after each breast feeding.

Oh..and a website with lots of great info. and the facts..is [www.mizar5.com]

Love,
Prism

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2007 02:53AM by Prism.

Posted by: Smithdiana924 ()
Date: February 24, 2016 08:49PM

Did it affect multiple baby teeth? How did your little ones permament teeth come in? My little ones teeth are eroding sad smiley

Posted by: NuNativs ()
Date: February 24, 2016 10:04PM

I worked at a LARGE coop grocery for years and witnessed many raw and/or vegan children from families who ate well but vegan, and too many had teeth problems. Made me question the whole vegan stance, scary.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: February 25, 2016 03:57AM

Search for "oral probiotics." They recolonize the mouth with good friendly bacteria and 95% of the problems are solved magically.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables