Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Digestive issues transitioning raw?
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: August 30, 2015 01:19AM

I would go for a good juicer.

Juicing is so critical when you start.

The digestive system may not be optimally working so juicing get the nutrients into your system fast.

There is a strategy for getting a very good juicer at very low price.

A cheap used good expensive juicer is better than a cheap new inexpensive juicer

There is really no need to juice fruits. They are already 80 to 90 percent water.

The juicer is your life when start. I will never buy a centrifugal juicer, you want a masticating juicer, you want the pulp to be dry. you want the nutrients out.

So the strategy is to shop for a used expensive juicer you can buy cheap. Most people buy these expensive juicer and do not juice that much and want to get rid of them.

This is not against Tai personally I enjoyed her posts.

Shop on ebay

[www.ebay.com]

[www.ebay.com]

A green power juicer will last you for ever.
You will be replacing many cheap juicers and it will still be around 10 years later.
New ones are around 450 dollars

[www.ebay.com]

[www.ebay.com]

Sometimes the price is low because the juicer is missing one or two parts you can buy cheap.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2015 01:25AM by RawPracticalist.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: suvine ()
Date: August 30, 2015 10:40AM

RP that is a nice post you did. WOW you really care.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: August 31, 2015 12:36AM

Those were good deals that Raw P found for the used juicers.

I agree with Raw practicalist about investing in a good juicer, if you can afford to do so. You will have deeper healing results that way.

Raw P is on the east coast and does more grass and microgreen growing, so his produce selection is a bit different from mine.

Regarding centrifugal juicer, I should place my comments in context. LIving in California, where produce is so abundant, I might have 20 lbs of tomatoes to deal with in one day due to over ripeness. Making a gallon of juice in a centrifugal can take maybe 10-15 minutes. Making a gallon in a twin gear can take an hour if the produce is mushy, like ripe tomatoes.

So, if people are thirsty and can't wait and you need to feed them in 10 minutes, a centrifugal is so helpful. Imagine living in California, where temperatures can reach 100 and everyone is hot and sweating and drinking cold watermelon juice (with something like lemon or mint juice added) is preferable to eating it.

When a garden is overflowing with a ton of produce, a centrifugal helps, especially when you are juicing for many people. What if you get a few very ripe watermelons? Lately I have been making watermelon-passion fruit juice in the centrifugal. So heavenly. The point of juicing watermelon is to remove the seeds and it's easy to drink two quarts to get some fluid in. SOmetimes, a melon can be underipe like a cantaloupe and honeydew and in those case, juicing them (after the superficial skin is removed) allows them to be used without waste. I have had several honeydews that were not ripe and I was forced to juice them, otherwise they were inedible.

Don't get me wrong, I am into calcium. Hence I use the angel juice (very expensive) for greens. I often will juice greens in the angel (twin gear) and juice melons in the centrifugal and then stir them both together.

A single auger juicer is the best for wheatgrass juice to minimize oxidation.

Well, I am not disagreeing with Raw P, because all the health teachers say centrifugals are not good for healing, but in my own experience of dealing with massive quantities of food, it works for me, especially in the summer. I often have two juicers working side by side.

Time is a factor. I know so many people who throw away produce because they did not have time to juice them in a twin gear and didn't have time to make raw food. So, if a juicer makes juice in a hurry, then it might mean getting some value from a centrifugal juicer versus getting no value from the food at all by leaving it to rot in the refrigerator. People have watched me set up a juicer, juice 1-2 quarts in a centrifugal (ex. celery, cucumber, tomato, lemon, carrot) and clean the juicer in under 10 minutes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2015 12:38AM by Tai.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: August 31, 2015 11:26AM

Tai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Regarding centrifugal juicer, I should place my
> comments in context. LIving in California, where
> produce is so abundant, I might have 20 lbs of
> tomatoes to deal with in one day due to over
> ripeness. Making a gallon of juice in a
> centrifugal can take maybe 10-15 minutes. Making
> a gallon in a twin gear can take an hour if the
> produce is mushy, like ripe tomatoes.
>
> So, if people are thirsty and can't wait and you
> need to feed them in 10 minutes, a centrifugal is
> so helpful. Imagine living in California, where
> temperatures can reach 100 and everyone is hot and
> sweating and drinking cold watermelon juice (with
> something like lemon or mint juice added) is
> preferable to eating it.

I agree and will add that many people are just too ill when they first start juicing to have the strength or patience to mess with slow juicers. Others don't have the incentive yet, especially in the morning rush, for using anything that will take beyond the 10 minutes required to prepare juice in a centrifugal juicer. People can, and do, see significant improvement in their health simply using a centrifugal juicer.

Most of us who have moved on to getting a variety of juicers started with a centrifugal juicer. The modern ones allow for dumping in whole lemons, apples, celery, and bunches of greens, etc., without having to do any chopping. THey also introduce way less O2 in the process than the old fashioned centrifugal juicers did.

Personally I would not buy a second hand single auger juicer from anyone other than someone I knew to be a raw foodest because many people use those machines for macerating red meat, fish, and possibly allergenic grains - the traces of which can be almost impossible to remove out of the plastic parts without using toxic bleach.

The same goes, IMO, for buying any second hand plastic, or even glass, items which are intended for use with food. Those previous owners (and there may have been several of them) could have put them to different purposes holding things you would never want in contact with your food. Think about it ...

Posted by: LavenderBunnie ()
Date: August 31, 2015 03:58PM

Thank you, everyone! Sorry I haven't had time to reply in a few days. I'm taking everything into consideration while shopping around!

Date: September 01, 2015 12:03AM

Than Tai for the explanation and the details. I never thought it that way. Too many fruits at one time that can be made of good use to many.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: September 01, 2015 03:37PM

SueZ Wrote:
> Personally I would not buy a second hand single
> auger juicer from anyone other than someone I knew
> to be a raw foodest because many people use those
> machines for macerating red meat, fish, and
> possibly allergenic grains - the traces of which
> can be almost impossible to remove out of the
> plastic parts without using toxic bleach.
>
> The same goes, IMO, for buying any second hand
> plastic, or even glass, items which are intended
> for use with food. Those previous owners (and
> there may have been several of them) could have
> put them to different purposes holding things you
> would never want in contact with your food. Think
> about it ...

One day, while I was in a pet shop I saw a half naked guy get off his bike and walk into the shop with a lidded empty quart sized Mason jar. A few minutes later he walk out with it full of three rats. The woman who worked there told me he came in every week for three rats for his python.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: September 04, 2015 06:34AM

Suez when I was working in a raw vegan organic farm, this guy with a hippie bus- painted all psychedelic, said let me take you out and we took photos of peacocks that ran wild in his yard, they are wild, and then I went inside his house and I saw a giant python. And I think I was ready to go. Really!

Date: September 06, 2015 01:45AM

So I still haven't been able to crack the case and figure out why I'm so damn dizzy.. I even ate meat (shoot me) to test if it was detox.. And the dizziness hasn't gone away. Someone actually recommended that I look into histamine intolerance... And it seems pretty likely that I have an intolerance to the high amounts of histamine in my diet now... I've been eating high histamine foods prety much every day, more than I ever had before, avocado, bananas, citrus... I'm going to either A. Do an elimination diet with low histamine foods and add foods back in one at a time to see how I handle them, or B. Do a juice fast (john rose style) with mostly low histamine fruits and veggies.

Thoughts?

Date: September 06, 2015 06:11AM

Maybe the solution is not in eating more >>>
But in eating less <<<
Or not eating at all...
Fasting.
Cleansing.
If food cannot be properly digested then
The system that does the work needs repairs, rest
Not more work.
It could be argued that our need for food is not
always because we are hungry but because it is time to eat.
Could it be that our need for food is more emotional than physical?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2015 06:23AM by RawPracticalist.

Date: September 07, 2015 04:26AM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
> Maybe the solution is not in eating more >>>
> But in eating less <<<
> Or not eating at all...
> Fasting.
> Cleansing.
> If food cannot be properly digested then
> The system that does the work needs repairs, rest
> Not more work.
> It could be argued that our need for food is not
> always because we are hungry but because it is
> time to eat.
> Could it be that our need for food is more
> emotional than physical?

I think you're very right. I've actually been contemplating this all day... I have a very small appetite since starting raw, but I keep eating more than I am hungry just to keep my calories up... But if I'm not digesting these foods... Or if my cells aren't absorbing the sugar because they're too stuffed up and need to be flushed out Or cleansed, my cells not absorbing the sugar could be giving me blood sugar spikes that are making me dizzy... I would be better off eating less... Because then my body would need to pull the extra fat and toxins from my cells, right? And that would make room for my cells to absorb the sugars.

Is it necessary to do a strict water fast, though? Or is it enough to only eat when I truly feel hungry, and only to the point that I am satisfied. Today I had 16oz of Apple carrot ginger juice for breakfast, felt satisfied, and I didn't feel hungry at all until around 4pm when I ate blueberries until i was satisfied (not stuffed and bloated).. I was a little dizzy after drinking the juice, but I don't think I was truly hungry when I drank it to begin with. I did find that drinking water with 1/4 tsp pink salt (as someone else suggested) immediately brought the dizziness down quite a bit. I did have pasta for dinner because we were out... I wasn't very hungry, so that probably wasn't the best choice.. But tomorrow is a new day.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables