Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Growing goji berry plants
Posted by: bluespixie ()
Date: August 24, 2015 09:39AM

Hi guys,

I bought some goji berry seeds the other day. On the instructions it says to grow them in early spring, and then plant out mid spring the following year to toughen them up.

I'm a few months late to the party- do you think sowing them now will will cause any problems? I'll be keeping them indoors indefinitely. Apparently, they're easier to grow than nettles grinning smiley

Never eaten a proper fresh goji berry I don't think- the ones I get in the packets look like they've been nuked, even when it's a fancy pants company.

I bought a stevia plant as well smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Growing goji berry plants
Posted by: Tai ()
Date: August 25, 2015 08:06PM

Goji berry plants are not that hard to buy. I can't imagine how long you will have to wait for a plant from a seed. I bought my plant already as a 4 foot vine.

I just looked on ebay and it seems there must be several varieties, because it looks like there are some as bushes. The bush ones have huge leaves, whereas the vine ones, like mine, have delicate thin leaves that are edible.

Thanks for bringing up the topic, because now I am tempted to buy some different varieties, which I wasn't aware of before.

Fresh goji berries are wonderful. But the leaves are too. Eventually I want to harvest some root bark, too.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 25, 2015 11:08PM

tai

i didn't know the leaves of goji berries are also good/edible.wow..really?
i like the fresh goji berries on the vine.. wow.. nothing like the dried up hard goji berries that are not even recognizable to me as berries. anyhow.. bluepixie i can't answer your question because i bought my goji plant but i guess it never hurts to try ... enjoy your harvest

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: August 26, 2015 06:09PM

I remember seeing a David Wolf video on goji berries where he said the goji seeds in the packaged dried berries are still viable and can be planted straight from the bag.

Posted by: bluespixie ()
Date: August 26, 2015 09:12PM

Tai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just looked on ebay and it seems there must be
> several varieties, because it looks like there are
> some as bushes. The bush ones have huge leaves,
> whereas the vine ones, like mine, have delicate
> thin leaves that are edible.

That's pretty cool @ the leaves! What would you do with them? Salads, or for teas?

What do the fresh berries taste like guys? What's the closest fruit they taste like? I think the dried ones taste quite 'earthy', iron-y even.

Thanks for the info, SueZ smiling smiley I wouldn't have thought of doing that. Maybe I should grow both kinds- ones from the dried fruit and my seeds. See which wins!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 10, 2015 08:22AM

bluespixie

the fresh ones look like a very very very miniature teardrop tomato
the taste?

well.. it really depends on what was in the soil
like.. if the soil was salty...then your gojiberries will be salty

but it tastes somewhat between a tomato, a cucumber and a melon

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: September 10, 2015 03:04PM

That is so cool, can we see some pictures? can you grow them anywhere?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables