Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

looking for glass containers with PLASTIC lids ( not metal)
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 25, 2015 10:56PM

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some much wanted information. Okay...so here is the deal. I've been using glass jars that have METAL lids on them for quite some time now. Over the years, I have noticed that my liquids (especially noticeable with just pure water) have this metallic taste to them. This never seems to go away.

So.... I was wondering if anyone knows of a company that has glass jars (for juice, water etc.) and PLASTIC lids. It seems to me that the metal lids are a LOT more corrosive and I don't want to be drinking metal. I don't like plastic containers but I think the lid is better plastic than it is metal.

Thanks winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2015 10:56PM by la_veronique.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: looking for glass containers with PLASTIC lids ( not metal)
Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: August 26, 2015 01:04AM

I use Tulids on glass canning jars exclusively ever since I found them. They have removable silicone liners that cover the plastic and are reliably water tight so they even travel well when using them on your jars in your bag without worrying about them leaking. I've been using them everyday for almost a year and they show no signs of wear whatsoever. Just a great Indy invention.

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: August 26, 2015 07:33AM

[www.ebay.com]

[www.ebay.com]

[www.ebay.com]

[www.ebay.com]

[www.ebay.com]

[www.ebay.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2015 07:42AM by RawPracticalist.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: August 26, 2015 04:06PM

[www.amazon.com]

rubbermaid and pyrex also make glass containers with plastic lids (I got several that I bought at the local supermarket).

Date: August 26, 2015 06:05PM

"I don't like plastic containers but I think the lid is better plastic than it is metal."

On the Tulid lids the plastic threaded areas are totally covered on the inside by the silicone gasket insert so your jarred liquid or food don't touch plastic at all. Here is what the inventor has to say about them ...

"Tulid's primary structure is made of a BPA-free, FDA approved plastic called Triton by Eastman. The need for plastic is to create threading that can withstand high torque pressure when twisting the lids on. There are controversies regardless of what plastic is used, which is why we've developed a removable FDA-approved silicone material as a gasket that completely covers the entire opening of the jar. This means food only ever touches the food grade silicone and nothing else.
The rubber grip is an FDA approved material that is bonded to the plastic structure primarily for easy grip, but it is on the outside of the lid so it never touches food.
The original intent of Tulid was for storing homemade baby food for my own kids. This is why we've gone above and beyond in our choice of materials. This is also a reason for the feedback that the lids are pricey because they simply cost a lot to make."

P.S. The lids have come down in price since this product has taken off in popularity. When I bought mine, last year, they were over $11 each but once I saw and used them I understood.

Date: August 27, 2015 05:07AM

Oh WOW...awesome!! Thanks guys! smiling smiley

Suez, do you know the diameter of those lids? Would be great if it were a perfect fit.

Raw Practicalist

Thanks a bunch! Question, do you know why they don't recommend putting those pyrex glass jars in the freezer? Will they crack? Also, do you know which ( in the links you gave me) you can use that can fit in my purse without leaking all over my hairbrush etc.? Personal experience? Thanks again!

Panchito,

You got them in a supermarket? Glass JARS ( not just containers for food but for liquid) with plastic lids? Any franchise supermarkets/stores?

Thanks again guys. I really appreciate your help. !!

Date: August 27, 2015 05:08AM

Suez,

So.. is silicone a lot healthier than plastic? I haven't done my research yet.

Date: August 27, 2015 10:47AM

" Suez, do you know the diameter of those lids? Would be great if it were a perfect fit."

The ones with orange lids are a perfect fit for all sizes of standard American wide mouthed canning jars and the Tulids with green lids fit all regular mouth ones.

This site doesn't allow all the Wikipedia jar lid specs to be posted here but if you go to that site at "Mason jars" you will find them.

Date: August 28, 2015 08:03AM

thank you

Date: August 28, 2015 11:22PM

You're welcome. I hope they are available where you are.

Date: September 03, 2015 05:08AM

suez

is the silicone better in terms of health than metal?

does silicone leach/erode easily?
i mean..there must have been some studies/ research etc. that they would proudly proclaim silicone is buffering the plastic etc. so that consumers would be willing to shell out the extra bucks to get it for their babies

seems like you did the research

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables