Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Amaranth Powder!
Posted by: bluespixie ()
Date: August 26, 2015 09:16PM

I bought some of this and forgot grinning smiley Anyone have any recipe ideas? Cookies?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Amaranth Powder!
Posted by: Tai ()
Date: August 26, 2015 10:28PM

(Blues Pixie, I got slammed with work and I have to postpone my chocolate sapote pics/video. I will do it before this harvest is over. I do think it's worthwhile because sapotes withstand being mailed and it's not just for showing off. I have to take a break from posting for a while but I will not forget~maybe 6 weeks.)

Rod Rotundi of Leaf Cuisine had an onion ring recipe that required amaranth powder. I did it and it worked great in the dehydrator.

mix lemon, olive oil, curry powder, nutritional yeast and salt and blend.
separate raw onions into rings. dehydrate onion for 30 minutes.
then pour sauce over and marinate.
dredge onion rings in sprouted amaranth powder and place on trays. dehydrate for 4 hours or until crispy.

The amaranth powder should be from amaranth that has been sprouted first and then dried and powdered. If it wasn't sprouted first, then I wouldn't recommend this recipe. If it is raw and unsprouted, then I would recommend to cook it. IT makes a nice morning cereal.

You can make a fermented amazake drink with the raw powder. But I also recommend at least 60 seconds of high heat to kill the probiotic before drinking (just my personal experience of getting sick once from it in a raw state). YOu could also ferment the raw powder with a probiotic of your choice and then dry it again and use it for this recipe.

The way you cook amaranth is different from other grains. YOu need at least 3 cups of water to one cup of grain. Even 4 cups is fine. It needs a lot of water to expand properly. Also amaranth takes much longer to cook than even brown rice. For this reason, if it really is unsprouted, then soak the powder in water over night to minimize cooking time. This is a raw forum, but there is always the question of what to do with food that will no longer sprout. Do you throw it away, eat it or at least give it to someone else who eats cooked?

Amaranth is a seed, not a grain and has more calcium than grains. It is a worthy seed to sprout, dehydrate and powder. It is not so easy to eat raw and fresh, because the tiny shells are still hard to chew even when sprouted quite long. Well, ask the sproutarian man because he is well versed in amaranth.

Re: Raw Amaranth Powder!
Posted by: suvine ()
Date: August 27, 2015 02:01AM

For sweet I would sprinkle on top of raw vegan yogurt maybe.

If its like flax.

Or just by guessing I would make a paste and taste it and see if it would be good for like raw pancakes and raw breads a la tree of life style. They make stuff with nut and seed powders so much its like a cooked food cake almost.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables