Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

owner of bonobo's raw restaurant has a stroke
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: September 26, 2015 05:56AM

Usually kohler's videos are good. I thought this one was especially bad.

[www.youtube.com]

raw eating David had a stroke. Now he has reduced fruit intake and eats some more cooked food.

There is no evidence that his omega ratio was a cause, nor his fruit intake.

he states that he used to ingest a lot of nut butters and olive oil. it's possible that those things and others caused his problem, not fat ratios or fruit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2015 05:58AM by fresh.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: owner of bonobo's raw restaurant has a stroke
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: September 26, 2015 11:29PM

I'm going to watch this later, I had eaten at Bonobos a few times, I don't think it's been open for at least 4 years? They closed suddenly. It was definitely higher in fat foods but super tasty.

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: September 27, 2015 03:40AM

Fresh, I agree. Usually John Kohler's videos are very very good, but this one was egregiously bad - so bad that I only managed to get to 18 minutes after my fourth attempt. Also, 1 hour 10 minutes is a long time, especially if it's a slow boring video from a non credible person.

This person would have been better served to see his analyst to pour his heart out, as opposed to going on with his lamentable tale with someone like John ( what was John thinking letting him rave on? ).

As I only watched the first 18 minutes that's all I will comment on. Surely someone of his age who claims to have been a 16 year raw fooder to be blaming stress is someone making excuses. Isn't the raw food diet supposed to clean out your bloodstream and feed your brain so good blood feeds it so you can think clearly! At his age he shouldn't be using stress as one of his excuses.

Also, he said that raw fooders handle stress better than cooked food eaters. That's a load of nonsense. Many cooked food eaters who eat a sensible diet don't have issues handling stress. We're not talking about junk food eaters. He has no credibility making those statements.

There were 4 points he was going to make. The second one was pre existing conditions. Once he started using that as excuse number 2 I switched off.
I don't know what excuses 3 and 4 were like.

What kind of raw fooder was he really? Rather than listening to his woeful tale about stress or pre-existing conditions, I would have liked to hear what kind of a raw fooder he was before he started on his tale of woe.

Did he cheat on his diet? Was he a raw fooder in his mind, but not in reality? Is oil part of a raw food diet, and were his nuts raw, or did he stretch the truth to serve the story?

It would be interesting to find out if John sought him out, or if he sought John out. Fresh, how did you manage to watch the whole video? You must have a high tolerance for boredom.

Date: September 27, 2015 03:51AM

thanks for your comments BJ. I think I was stunned that john was being so credulous which is why i was able to watch it so long.

john said he is going to reduce his fruit meals to 1 per day i think. ?????

hard to make that work.

people often seem to make radical changes based upon no evidence, just based on fear, like hey i must do something, so it must be too much fruit/hybrid/blah blah...

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: September 27, 2015 03:03PM

DONT MESS WITH JOHN KOHLER hahaha just kidding. I love him. He is our man.

He sounds happy. Ok. I dont think its bad. He seems to be stuttering or not very flowing...

He is raw vegan and he had a stroke? And he went to a doctor for leg pain and they told him it was a stroke? Ok...trust the doctors...Their job is to find something wrong with you. How does he know its not just a sore knee? Did he get a second opinion without saying anything, a "blind" second opinion?

"I had to evaluate my health program after this stroke"

WHAT?

Is he saying raw vegan food gave him a stroke? No, but I hear in his tone, he is unconsciously thinking it may be it, but trying to talk himself out of it. I AM NOT CONVINCED HE HAD A STROKE. I have been a victim of mis-diagnosis for money. My mom too. My brother as well..
they look for something wrong, they look real hard...to keep you and scam your medical insurance. I am sure he was not paying cash.

People get sick for many reasons, like attention.

If this guy WAS NOT RAW he would be dead and six feet under.

I know what JOHN IS SAYING

BUT THE MORAL OF THE STORY...is well....this man is not good at public speaking...but you have to really sit down and listen and try to understand where he is coming from.

Its ok. I just sense alot of doubt in his voice and alot of fear...he is tryng to make sense of it all..

There are people out there who have hard time talking and communicating. and I think this guy is really trying...

but what Debbie Downer....his tone, his comments are so depressing. Like me. I know the mood. STRESS is whats hurting him...he needs love in his heart and happiness in his mind.

IF YOU ARE READING THIS GUY AND JOHN- meditation...one word! And dont meditate on nothing. Meditate on feeling good, or things you want more than anything. Focus on the SRI YANTRA.

I am the queen mistress of stress. I am German. I can relate to him and I extend my hand to help. Come here and gossip! Open 24-7 this forum is.

John and guy can make up fruity names and come here anonymously! When you connect and talk its all better for your heart, especially about raw vegan foods and its fun the alliances and arguments on here sometimes.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2015 03:13PM by suvine.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: September 27, 2015 04:01PM

fresh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Usually kohler's videos are good. I thought this
> one was especially bad.
>
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> raw eating David had a stroke. Now he has reduced
> fruit intake and eats some more cooked food.
>
> There is no evidence that his omega ratio was a
> cause, nor his fruit intake.
>
> he states that he used to ingest a lot of nut
> butters and olive oil. it's possible that those
> things and others caused his problem, not fat
> ratios or fruit.

Could've been B12 deficiency which resulted in elevated levels of homocysteine.

Also, omega fatty acid ratios play a major role in regulating inflammation in the body so if he was eating excess omega-6's over the long-term and/or not getting enough omega-3's, that would cause inflammation and thus impact cardiovascular health. Eating a lot of nut butters and olive oil is a good way to take in lots of O6 and very little O3.

Date: September 27, 2015 05:15PM

jtprindl Wrote:

>
>
> Could've been B12 deficiency which resulted in
> elevated levels of homocysteine.

could have been a lot of things. could have been vit d according to mercola.

>
> Also, omega fatty acid ratios play a major role in
> regulating inflammation in the body so if he was
> eating excess omega-6's over the long-term and/or
> not getting enough omega-3's, that would cause
> inflammation and thus impact cardiovascular
> health. Eating a lot of nut butters and olive oil
> is a good way to take in lots of O6 and very
> little O3.

yes. my point being that without ANY evidence of a particular CAUSE he is drawing conclusions and scaring john into reducing fruit. nothing wrong with david changing based on what he THINKS the cause was, but to make definitive conclusions based upon esselstyn or any other cooking gurus is absurd.

Date: September 27, 2015 05:52PM

Fresh so well said!! And JTPRINDL too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2015 05:53PM by suvine.

Date: September 27, 2015 06:35PM

"yes. my point being that without ANY evidence of a particular CAUSE he is drawing conclusions and scaring john into reducing fruit. nothing wrong with david changing based on what he THINKS the cause was, but to make definitive conclusions based upon esselstyn or any other cooking gurus is absurd."

That's why it's important to be open-minded and unbiased when it comes to the experiences of others because there is a lack of clinical trials conducted on the long-term effects of different variations within the raw food diet. However, we do have many important pieces of the dietary puzzle. Low-fat, high-fruit diets, when you dig deeper into nutrient co-factors and the multitude of ways in which nutrients are depleted from the body, look quite ugly over the long-term for most people.

I was also trying to point out that you stated "There is no evidence that his omega ratio was a cause" and then shortly after stated "he states that he used to ingest a lot of nut butters and olive oil. it's possible that those things and others caused his problem", implying that you were unaware that these two are related.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2015 06:36PM by jtprindl.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: September 27, 2015 07:10PM

High triglyceride and high blood sugar levels are factors found to contribute to a person's likelihood of having a stroke. Just because John hasn't said what his own personal tests reveal about his health status doesn't mean he has nothing more to consider than what happened to David in deciding to cut down on his fruit intake. We just don't know - as we still just don't know what his results were from his iodine test. Maybe someday he will see fit to let us in on those secrets...

David was able, in a few short months, to get his O 3:0 6 ratio into a better place by simply adding one T. of either flax or chia to his diet each day. Had he added 3 -4 T. a day he could have done the same without excluding all other health giving nuts, seeds, and oils from his diet. He didn't have to give up a raw food diet to meet his objective - he chose to. Enough nitric oxide can be had by adding sesame and pumpkin seeds, for instance.

Date: September 27, 2015 07:12PM

suvine, how are you doing? i think you recently said you were not doing so well - seemed off balance diet wise, you ok now?

jtprindl Wrote:
> "yes. my point being that without ANY evidence of
> a particular CAUSE he is drawing conclusions and
> scaring john into reducing fruit. nothing wrong
> with david changing based on what he THINKS the
> cause was, but to make definitive conclusions
> based upon esselstyn or any other cooking gurus is
> absurd."
>
> That's why it's important to be open-minded and
> unbiased when it comes to the experiences of
> others because there is a lack of clinical trials
> conducted on the long-term effects of different
> variations within the raw food diet. However, we
> do have many important pieces of the dietary
> puzzle. Low-fat, high-fruit diets, when you dig
> deeper into nutrient co-factors and the multitude
> of ways in which nutrients are depleted from the
> body, look quite ugly over the long-term for most
> people.
>

when you have a certain mindset that our nutrient needs are higher than the RDA, as you do, then that is the obvious conclusion. without that mindset the low fat high fruit diets are fine, in addition to some experiential data corroborating them.

> I was also trying to point out that you stated
> "There is no evidence that his omega ratio was a
> cause" and then shortly after stated "he states
> that he used to ingest a lot of nut butters and
> olive oil. it's possible that those things and
> others caused his problem", implying that you were
> unaware that these two are related.

yes i was aware they are allegedly related. yet i suspect there are other potential problems in relation to stroke risk with high fat (olive oil and nut butters) aside from omega ratio.

Date: September 27, 2015 07:18PM

SueZ Wrote:
> High triglyceride and high blood sugar levels are
> factors found to contribute to a person's
> likelihood of having a stroke.

this statement does not take into account the person's overall diet, hence it is not necessarily valid with respect to a raw food diet.

Just because John
> hasn't said what his own personal tests reveal
> about his health status doesn't mean he has
> nothing more to consider than what happened to
> David in deciding to cut down on his fruit intake.
> We just don't know - as we still just don't know
> what his results were from his iodine test. Maybe
> someday he will see fit to let us in on those
> secrets...
>
> David was able, in a few short months, to get his
> O 3:0 6 ratio into a better place by simply adding
> one T. of either flax or chia to his diet each
> day. Had he added 3 -4 T. a day he could have done
> the same without excluding all other health giving
> nuts, seeds, and oils from his diet. He didn't
> have to give up a raw food diet to meet his
> objective - he chose to. Enough nitric oxide can
> be had by adding sesame and pumpkin seeds, for
> instance.

There is no need to add flax or chia to get proper omega ratios. especially since he said he reduced his nut/seed intake.
yes your method may work and has logic but not necessary, nor is his foray into cooked to reduce some alleged high sugar intake. blending greens is quite simple solution if that is an issue.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: September 27, 2015 07:42PM

SueZ Wrote:
> High triglyceride and high blood sugar levels are
> factors found to contribute to a person's
> likelihood of having a stroke. Just because John
> hasn't said what his own personal tests reveal
> about his health status doesn't mean he has
> nothing more to consider than what happened to
> David in deciding to cut down on his fruit intake.
> We just don't know - as we still just don't know
> what his results were from his iodine test. Maybe
> someday he will see fit to let us in on those
> secrets...
>
> David was able, in a few short months, to get his
> O 3:0 6 ratio into a better place by simply adding
> one T. of either flax or chia to his diet each
> day. Had he added 3 -4 T. a day he could have done
> the same without excluding all other health giving
> nuts, seeds, and oils from his diet. He didn't
> have to give up a raw food diet to meet his
> objective - he chose to. Enough nitric oxide can
> be had by adding sesame and pumpkin seeds, for
> instance.

I'm also wondering about David's tongue darting in the video. In real life I have only noticed this habit with people who have dementia and/or neurological conditions but see it quite often in vegan vloggers. Does anyone know if David had this habit before he had the stroke?

Date: September 27, 2015 09:51PM

"when you have a certain mindset that our nutrient needs are higher than the RDA, as you do, then that is the obvious conclusion. without that mindset the low fat high fruit diets are fine, in addition to some experiential data corroborating them."

They are, but not only that, RDA's don't take into consideration the amount of nutrients naturally lost by the body on a daily basis. Exercise and ejaculation also deplete the body of nutrients.

[www.preventive-health-guide.com]

"The problem with RDA and RDI's.

There’s just one problem with this - and it’s a big one.

The RDAs that everybody uses may not be accurate! You see, they were developed during World War Two by the U.S. National Research Council, and used for dietary recommendations for people on rations.

They were invented to help prevent outbreaks of rickets, scurvy and pellagra. Clearly, our dietary habits and the kinds of diseases we get are now very different.

The RDA standard has since been taken up by countries the world over, and now accounts for the minimum levels of nutrients needed for normal growth and development.

But although RDAs are revised from time to time, they still only suggest the minimum nutrient requirements, for nearly all (97–98%) healthy individuals.

But of course, we’re all different!

Some people (older people, pregnant women, those with illnesses, you name it) need different amounts of nutrients. In addition, the type of food we eat has changed dramatically recently, populations are ageing, and people with sedentary lifestyles are now commonplace.

RDAs don’t really account for all this...

New nutritional guidelines being suggested by the few scientists and doctors that specialize in nutrition are describing levels of nutrients far higher than RDA’s for the maintenance of long term health and the prevention of chronic degenerative disease."

[www.naturodoc.com]

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Date: September 27, 2015 09:56PM

"There is no need to add flax or chia to get proper omega ratios"

Without nuts or seeds, the ALA you obtain from fruits and vegetables, according to the research, is far too little to convert to sufficient EPA & DHA, specifically for men. Women are much more efficient at converting ALA into EPA & DHA.

Date: September 28, 2015 05:24AM

GUYS I HAD AN AHA MOMENT

Why do you guys say- it was a bad interview, again? Well well the guy John is interviewing is UNBALANCED. His thoughts are cloudy, there is negativity, there is doubt, and he seems unsure and he does not trust in the universe and is sad about his "stroke" a doctor told him he had.

This man is not balanced.

My question, has this man had head injury ever in his life. I just saw a report on JoeRoganpodcast how so many fighters who get hit in the head, or anyone in accident or brain trauma, childhood drugging, etc...stops producing a hormone.
He says you can send your bloood with 60 dollars and get it tested. He will tell you the balance you need and you can getthe stuff in Supplement shops or prescription. Green Berets and trauma doctors have so many stories on how they have changed peoples lives, made the quality instantly better because of straightening this hormone imbalance. I was wondering..

Ever feel like there is a dark cloud around you even though you have been raw for years, but you notice it all started when you had this head trauma?

Its like a black cloud over you no matter what. THis is why MMA fighters who get hit in the head, get arrested, have explosive personalities, and get arrested, and fight at the drop of a hat, and they cannot explain why. Their brain stopped making a hormone. I forget the name.

Sounded like the before of this guy, above.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2015 05:28AM by suvine.

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: November 17, 2015 10:05AM

La Veronique.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: November 17, 2015 08:27PM

. I have been a victim of mis-diagnosis for money. My mom too. My brother as well...they look for something wrong, they look real hard...to keep you and scam your medical insurance. I am sure he was not paying cash.

Bingo. A big mistake to reply on 1st diagnosis all the time. It's a good idea - if the initial diagnosis is terrifying, serious or controversial in some way - to go to a different type of licensed medical practitioners, maybe a TCM doctor or a qualified naturopath.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: November 18, 2015 12:47AM

BJ

I see the article here now . Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables